PDA

View Full Version : Shifting on a RS SE5

Buckaroo
02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I have a new 2010 SE5 and I am learning how & when to shift. I read in the manual that after the break in period, shifting is a bit smoother. Should I be shifting without or with throttle on? Sometimes with throttle on, the shift seems a bit jerky, sometimes not. I have recently tried w/o throttle and it can be a bit smoother. I am not sure. Need some advice.

MMcc
02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I have a 2008 RS SE5. Mine shifts smoothly with the throttle held steady. If I back off there is a lag, if I am accelerating then the up shift is harsh.

CanAmChris
02-18-2011, 10:48 PM
I am riding my Spyder to the dealer tomorow for the first maintenance (600 miles) My SE-5 likes it better if I hit 3200-3500 RPM before I shift. I cruise at:
25 MPH Third gear
35 MPH Fourth gear
Anything over 45 MPH go to Fifth and have fun.

That being said, there are times when it lugs a little or gives a bit of a jerky feel when shifting.

The biggest thing I found is to flick the shifter. Don't press. When I want to shift I flick my thumb and I am in the right gear. I let the Spyder downshift on it's own when I hit the brakes.

I never downshift unless I need a bit more power on a hill or to escape a tricky situation.

Hope tis helps.

bcspyder
02-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I am riding my Spyder to the dealer tomorow for the first maintenance (600 miles) My SE-5 likes it better if I hit 3200-3500 RPM before I shift. I cruise at:
25 MPH Third gear
35 MPH Fourth gear

That being said, there are times when it lugs a little or gives a bit of a jerky feel when shifting.

The biggest thing I found is to flick the shifter. Don't press. When I want to shift I flick my thumb and I am in the right gear. I let the Spyder downshift on it's own when I hit the brakes.

I never downshift unless I need a bit more power on a hill or to escape a tricky situation.

Hope tis helps.

I would guess that your shifts are jerky because you are not getting into the powerband of the motor. Shifting on mine is smoothest with the throttle held in place or rolled on slightly as I shift, and rarely before 4500 RPM. Remember where the power is with this motor, it is not at 3000 RPM. Mine purrs at 5500 and could run there all day. Might use a bit more fuel but that is definately where the motor is at it's happy place.

xpeschon
02-19-2011, 07:09 AM
25 MPH Third gear
35 MPH Fourth gear

Hope tis helps.

You are shifting way to early,, Run it up to 4500-4800 RPM when shifting,, as for the throttle, maintain throttle control ---Do not decrease your throttle when shifting... Common since will tell you to let off of it once you have reached your speed of course but,, keep the RPM's up a bit..

X-Joe

Campverdefela
02-19-2011, 09:59 AM
You are shifting way to early,, Run it up to 4500-4800 RPM when shifting,, as for the throttle, maintain throttle control ---Do not decrease your throttle when shifting... Common since will tell you to let off of it once you have reached your speed of course but,, keep the RPM's up a bit..

X-Joe
:agree:The Rotax engine is made to be ran and shifted in the higher rpms, don't back off the throttle when shifting the computer will adjust for it automatically for optimum shift.

Buckaroo
02-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I will try it out. My next project is looking for lighting for my bike so I can be extra safe.

cjackg
02-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I let the Spyder downshift on it's own when I hit the brakes. I never downshift unless I need a bit more power on a hill or to escape a tricky situation.
You may want to try doing a lot more manual downshifting. It is very smooth and definitely eases the load on your brakes. Anytime a car in front of me slows or hesitates, I immediately downshift a gear. but, if you do a lot of downshifting, remember to tap the brake lights too. I recently nearly ran over a Spyder RS in front of me that was coming to a stop barely using the brakes!
Jack

Raptor
02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
You are shifting way to early,, Run it up to 4500-4800 RPM when shifting,, as for the throttle, maintain throttle control ---Do not decrease your throttle when shifting... Common since will tell you to let off of it once you have reached your speed of course but,, keep the RPM's up a bit..X-Joe

:agree: The V990 likes to rev, so I think under normal conditions the range specified above is pretty accurate and works for me as well. Since the RS-S is My Wife kathy's Spyder now I keep it nice and smooth whenever I ride it and it never jerks or gives any kind of lurch. after a while you will develop a better feel for what shift-point is best. And for normal riding I do not roll off throttle to shift. Niether does Kath.

Now when you are on it - Different story! I'll rack it up and then roll off/shift/roll on. I do this because I have found that the shift from 1st to 2nd especially can be very mushy when you shred and I don't like that. I have the timing down now so it gives a nice grab on throttle-up with no lag or slippage. And I definitely downshift myself. These SE5 trannies seem to be very well built and perform nicely in both normal and more demanding scenarios alike. But for normal riding they are like silk. Kathy loves it!

bcspyder
02-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I just came back from a ride and, with this post in mind, thought more about shift points and RPM's. At 35 there is no way I would be in fourth gear. Unlikely I would be out of second. One of the things dealers need to get better at is advising purchasers about this motor and how unlike most Vee-Twins it is. If you come off another twin the thought of being able to shift at 7,000 RPM just doesn't compute, and there seems to be alot of people that are unaware. Although the Spyder has gone through some hardware/electrical pains this motor is a rock and you will notice few mechanical issues relative to the other brands out there. The Rotax is an awesome motor and it seems a shame when people don't discover it's potential.

CanAmChris
02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the perspective everyone has provided. Now that I have past the break in time I will start pushing the engine over 5k more. I love my fasty fast Spyder.

Littlebadwolf
02-19-2011, 10:05 PM
:yes:Red's the fastest.....

Raptor
02-21-2011, 12:45 AM
:yes:Red's the fastest.....

I must admit, Red IS pretty darn fast! :D

flamingobabe
02-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Buckaroo...what color is your Spyder???? I was riding through Bastrop and saw a blue RT...was that you???? we rode the roads around the Hill Country and had dinner in Dripping Springs at the Wild Game Dinner Benefit....good eats.

for your original question....I have found that shifting with throttle on works best....down shifting depends on situation....but use brake as 'cjzckg' said

capt jim
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
AUSTIN BUCKAROO. USED TO LIVE ON LAKE TRAVIS ON ROCKY RIDGE RD. OFF HIGH LINE RD. HAVE A RT SEMI AUTO LOVE THE SHIFTER UP OR DOWN ITS A BREEZE. WHEN ACCELERATING I JUST KEEP ON THE THROTTLE AS SHE SHIFTS :2thumbs: WHEN GOING DOWN I ONLY USE THE DOWN SHIFT WHEN NECESSARY. LOVE IT. CAPT JIM:ohyea: