PDA

View Full Version : Riding Tomorrow

Ltownblue
02-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Around the Hickory / Lenoir area. If anyone is interested, let me know. Gonna be a beautiful weekend - be safe.

Ltownblue
02-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Missed a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5yYOrMdWU

hevnbound
02-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Looks like a good ride. Friend of mine and I went up 181 and back down. Took Brown Mountain Beach Road to Adako Rd to Lenoir. 321 to 268 to Wilkesboro. 421 to Brushy Mtn Rd back into Statesville.

Don't know if you know these roads but great curves and scenery. 181 was covered with salt at the top - that's why we came back down instead of going further.

We took the two-wheelers; his Suzuki Bandit 1250 and my B-King.

Keep us posted on future rides.

P. S. Bro needs to learn how to handle that 109 in the corners!!

IWN2RYD
02-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Sometimes it is not about how we ryde, but that we ryde... Thanks for posting :2thumbs::doorag:

docdoru
02-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Nice ryde, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
P.S. Should have passed him :D

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Looks like a good ride. Friend of mine and I went up 181 and back down. Took Brown Mountain Beach Road to Adako Rd to Lenoir. 321 to 268 to Wilkesboro. 421 to Brushy Mtn Rd back into Statesville.

Don't know if you know these roads but great curves and scenery. 181 was covered with salt at the top - that's why we came back down instead of going further.

We took the two-wheelers; his Suzuki Bandit 1250 and my B-King.

Keep us posted on future rides.

P. S. Bro needs to learn how to handle that 109 in the corners!!

Sounds like you had a good ride also. 181 is a lot of fun. We came down 421 back from Boone back to Wilkesboro on this ride, so we were probably close on each other's heels. I know 321 and 268 very well - I was reared about a mile from Fort Defiance on 268, so grew up on it's curves. As a matter of fact, the road that we cross over at the beginning of the video is 268 - just over the Wilkes County line. By the way, bro is a little skittish still of the 109 - a possum wrecked him a few months ago.

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Sometimes it is not about how we ryde, but that we ryde... Thanks for posting :2thumbs::doorag:

I agree. Bro and I both grew up on bikes, but hadn't been back on one for 20 years. I just got my spyder in '08 and he got his 109 about a year later. Neither of us is a pro, but we do enjoy what limited skills that we have.

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Nice ryde, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
P.S. Should have passed him :D

Haha - yep, should have, but he would have just passed me back in the straights - that 109 has some horses! We're competitive, but we know our limitations too.

Slybird
02-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Missed a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F5yYOrMdWU

Both my wife, Kathy, and I thought that video was cool. Inspired, we're going out this afternoon on our two :spyder2:'s and do some filming on some twisties. Thanks for the inspiration!:clap: It;s a beautiful day here in Oregon for ryding (beautiful = no rain!).:ohyea::yes::ohyea:

hevnbound
02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Sometimes it is not about how we ryde, but that we ryde...

Gotta disagree with that. The one I've heard is; It's not what you ride, but that you ride! IMHO it makes a big difference "how we ride". Safety is where it's at. A large part of riding safe is training. We all need to continue to improve our riding skills whether or not we ride a two wheeleer or a three wheeler. Next to intersections, most single vehicle motorcycle accidents happen when the bike blows a corner. Just learning the simple technique of leaning forward and into the curve changes the center of gravity on a bike and allows you to take it safer and faster at the same time.

I've been riding for over 40 years and I still take the MSF Experienced Rider course about every 3 to 4 years to "freshen" up. I have also done track training and I practice stopping, manuvers, etc. on a regular basis. Of course I'm also one of those guys that wears out the sides of the tires before the middle so it behooves me to learn all I can ... !!!:shocked:

Ltownblue ... it's obvious Bro knows how to ride. So, I need to apologize to him for making the general statement that he needs to learn how to handle corners. I should have been more specific.

It was also obvious to me that he was tentative in the tighter corners. Now I know why .... dead possum:yikes: My major concern was at 4.09 into your video he blew the right hander. A vehicle coming the opposite direction that might have been crowding the center line would have taken him out. Your video made a comment that you took him in corners and he took you in straights. I guess the point I wanted to make is that with the right skills and technique the 109 is a hot rod and could take the Spyder in the twisties.

Another little diddy to remember is: ride your own ride!! Don't let anyone dictate how you ride if you don't feel comfortable.

Ride, ride, ride but, ride safe. Post up when you head back out - hopefully some of us local Spyder riders can join you.

bruiser
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
What kind of camera did you use?

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Both my wife, Kathy, and I thought that video was cool. Inspired, we're going out this afternoon on our two :spyder2:'s and do some filming on some twisties. Thanks for the inspiration!:clap: It;s a beautiful day here in Oregon for ryding (beautiful = no rain!).:ohyea::yes::ohyea:

I hope that you and your wife had a good one Slybird and that the rain held off for you. Thanks for the comments.

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Gotta disagree with that. The one I've heard is; It's not what you ride, but that you ride! IMHO it makes a big difference "how we ride". Safety is where it's at. A large part of riding safe is training. We all need to continue to improve our riding skills whether or not we ride a two wheeleer or a three wheeler. Next to intersections, most single vehicle motorcycle accidents happen when the bike blows a corner. Just learning the simple technique of leaning forward and into the curve changes the center of gravity on a bike and allows you to take it safer and faster at the same time.

I've been riding for over 40 years and I still take the MSF Experienced Rider course about every 3 to 4 years to "freshen" up. I have also done track training and I practice stopping, manuvers, etc. on a regular basis. Of course I'm also one of those guys that wears out the sides of the tires before the middle so it behooves me to learn all I can ... !!!:shocked:

Ltownblue ... it's obvious Bro knows how to ride. So, I need to apologize to him for making the general statement that he needs to learn how to handle corners. I should have been more specific.

It was also obvious to me that he was tentative in the tighter corners. Now I know why .... dead possum:yikes: My major concern was at 4.09 into your video he blew the right hander. A vehicle coming the opposite direction that might have been crowding the center line would have taken him out. Your video made a comment that you took him in corners and he took you in straights. I guess the point I wanted to make is that with the right skills and technique the 109 is a hot rod and could take the Spyder in the twisties.

Another little diddy to remember is: ride your own ride!! Don't let anyone dictate how you ride if you don't feel comfortable.

Ride, ride, ride but, ride safe. Post up when you head back out - hopefully some of us local Spyder riders can join you.

I respect your opinion Sam. Thanks for the comments. Actually, the possum was alive - that's what went wrong - bro tried to make sure that he and it stayed that way. Unfortunately, bro ended up in a ditch with a broken foot and wrist and the possum just walked away laughing. I really wondered for awhile if he would have the bike repaired and return to riding - glad that he did. I've heard that you have skills - hopefully we will be able to ride together soon.

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 09:11 PM
What kind of camera did you use?

It's a GoPro Hero - Christmas gift from my fiance, and I really like it. I will try to post another vid from the day shortly.

Ltownblue
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Here's more footage of the same day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1G6xJ5RBH4

bruiser
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Here's more footage of the same day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1G6xJ5RBH4

Must be one of them roads that's paved on the installment plan. :roflblack:

SpyderDuck
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Wish I could have been with you. My back has been out for 6 weeks now, but I think the doc finally has a handle on it; I hope to be ryding again soon. Clyde is bored with just sitting in the garage. :(

Ltownblue
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Wish I could have been with you. My back has been out for 6 weeks now, but I think the doc finally has a handle on it; I hope to be ryding again soon. Clyde is bored with just sitting in the garage. :(

I like the graphics on Clyde. I'm sure that he's eager to show 'em off. Good luck with the back - will get in touch with you soon.

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
03-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Ltb,
Love the scenery. Cam works great! Where did you mount it on your Spyder and did you use the adhesive mount? We just purchased one during the winter holidays. Haven't used it yet. A little leary (sp?) of the adhesives.

MM

Ltownblue
03-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Ltb,
Love the scenery. Cam works great! Where did you mount it on your Spyder and did you use the adhesive mount? We just purchased one during the winter holidays. Haven't used it yet. A little leary (sp?) of the adhesives.

MM

Thanks M&P. The GoPro was mounted via one of the adhesive mounts to the top of my helmet. Someone had made the comment about the neck being a better shock absorber than any part of the spyder that the camera could be mounted to, so that's the way that I decided to go - glad that I did. You really don't notice it up there. The adhesive held very well at, uh... significant speeds. ;)

IWN2RYD
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Gotta disagree with that. The one I've heard is; It's not what you ride, but that you ride! IMHO it makes a big difference "how we ride". Safety is where it's at. .

Sometimes I forget one persons thought at the moment is another persons view to dissect later. Of course I was thinking of safety and rules of the road when I type anything I type. The intent was all about ryding vs not or what kind of bike... I certainly could have worded it better...

Motorcycle Mama & Papa
03-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Gonna try this option, too. Thanks much. :chat: MM