PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I killed my Spyder

mclaw44
02-13-2011, 09:29 AM
I have started down the path of Mods, one of the mods choose to install was the Easier Rider handlebar risers. They look great but something has gone wrong and I've killed my Spyder and if I don get it fix my wife if going to Kill me :gaah:

My Spdyer is a 2009 SM5 and once I got everything installed and back together I noticed that the reverse lever was still loose and just doesn't seem right. I turned the key and and the "R" and "((!)) is flashing on the panel. I have taken the houseing a part time and time again but the cable itself seems loose. anyone have any ideas what I need to do?????:helpsmilie: Thanks in advance!

docdoru
02-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Try to retrieve the active code: use mode to scroll through the cluster items til you get to hours, then hold the mode button on the left handle bar, with right hand hold down the headlight button on the right handle bar, and with your left thumb hit the hi-beam flasher button 5 times quickly in less then 2 seconds. :popcorn:

mclaw44
02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
OK so not to sound like a dumb %#@ but what will I be looking for? I just did this and didn't see anything different?

usurp31
02-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Are you able to post some pics? I have the easy risers in a box waiting for me to install but I keep holding off in case something else catches my eye.

tatt2r
02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
sounds like reverse cable is either not connected and it is in reverse thats why light is on ...it shouldnt be loose as a matter of fact that cable everybody complains they have a hard time getting back on ... follow cable maybe it is not connected

IWN2RYD
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
:agree: I think they all have you going in the right direction...

When investigating doing mine, I read more than once that folks "Pulled" to much on that cluster, when removing it off that original handlebars, that holds the Reverse button and disconnected it.

So I was VERY gentle and removed the throttle side first, then during the install I did the throttle last (Allowing for ample room to not pull on the wiring for the other side)... I seemed to have not had any issues so far. Sorry I cannot be of any more help... :(

boborgera
02-13-2011, 11:19 AM
OK so not to sound like a dumb %#@ but what will I be looking for? I just did this and didn't see anything different?

Slowly open up the switch box [reverse box] on the handlebar, and make sure the cable is installed the right way, it's a little tricky so you might not have the cable over the rocker cam in the switch box. Hopes this helps you, I did my risers two years ago and I'm trying to remember what the inside of the box looks like?
I don't think what you did will cause a code to show??:dontknow:

retread
02-13-2011, 12:46 PM
On an SM5, the reverse cable gets out of where it needs to be almost as soon as you open the switch module, open the module and make sure the cable is tight and stays tight as you reassemble it. I can't remember the exact path it takes, but I do remember it had to be held in place as the module went back together.

john

mclaw44
02-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks to all:thumbup::(:thumbup:

I had two issues that you helped me with. One was just that the cable was not in the place right. The second was that for what ever reason I had to upshift. I thnk that when re-installing I pulled the cable putting it to revers but not really. I was not in reverse but when I got everything back in place it looked as if I was due to the cable out of place

Anyway all is good for now thanks!! Pics of all my mods will be posted soon!

And FYI wife had know idea and you all help prevent another Lorena Bobbitt incident Rock on!!!!!!! Spyder lovers!!!!!!
:roflblack::roflblack:

vtspyder
02-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks to all:thumbup::(:thumbup:

I had two issues that you helped me with. One was just that the cable was not in the place right. The second was that for what ever reason I had to upshift. I thnk that when re-installing I pulled the cable putting it to revers but not really. I was not in reverse but when I got everything back in place it looked as if I was due to the cable out of place

Anyway all is good for now thanks!! Pics of all my mods will be posted soon!

And FYI wife had know idea and you all help prevent another Lorena Bobbitt incident Rock on!!!!!!! Spyder lovers!!!!!!
:roflblack::roflblack:

Great to hear the "Castration" card is off the table!!! Ouch'a Momma:yikes: