PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Systems

Buckaroo
02-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Are they worth it? I am eyeing the Scorpio i900 right now. Thoughts?:dontknow:

bone crusher
02-10-2011, 11:22 PM

If someone wants your bike, they're gonna take it...period.

Also, like everyone else, I've heard hundreds of car alarms go off and never even bother to look...

If you're getting it to keep kids from getting on your bike, just get a seat awning and this will probably work just as well...or, if you leave your bike outside, get a cover...

Then again, I'm sure those who have the alarms love them!

Bullet24
02-11-2011, 12:47 AM

The alarms that page the remote are good IMHO, because then you will be able to check on it yourself. Stealing a spyder would be fairly hard I imagine. You cant pick it up with a couple guys and throw it in the back of a van or truck, and if you had the alarm it is a little more noticeable when the alarm is blaring. Lock your handlbars and put your E brake on, most people dont even know about the e brake. I would say to just get something GPS related like lojack so if it does ever get stolen you know where it is, you usually get a discount on insurance as well. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Alarms... I don't think so! :roflblack:

qasamm
02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
I have the 600i and am pleased. I don't worry about someone rolling it away as much as touchers. This past season I had at least a dozen time I came out to find someone poking, sitting on or looking at with their hands.

wyliec
02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
If someone wants your bike, they're gonna take it...period.

Also, like everyone else, I've heard hundreds of car alarms go off and never even bother to look...

If you're getting it to keep kids from getting on your bike, just get a seat awning and this will probably work just as well...or, if you leave your bike outside, get a cover...

Then again, I'm sure those who have the alarms love them!

I just installed an alarm and it's not to prevent someone from stealing the spyder. I work at a hospital in the seedy section of the city. I have a cover, but wouldn't use it there b/c that would probably get stolen.

The reason for the alarm is to try and hinder someone from prying open the trunk and causing damage. We have security at the hospital that patrols and they also view monitors of the parking lots.

If the alarm goes off, I'm sure people will look as they do when they hear sirens or see someone laying beaten on the side of the rode.

NorthStar
02-11-2011, 09:58 AM
You will have any number of thumbs up and thumbs down with respect to installing a bike alarm on the Spyder.

I have an alarm and use it primarily as a warn off device for curious people who can't help but fiddle with the handlebars or sit on the seat while it is parked. Due to the footprint of the Spyder you may get a number of false alarms if it is very windy. There is a fine line between setting the sensitivity too low and too high. Alarms with monitoring remotes are rather pricey so I opted for a basic unit primarily for the warn off functionality.

An alarm, in combination with a sturdy cable lock, is a good investment if you feel uncomfortable in leaving your Spyder unattended. Whatever gives you peace of mind is a good thing.

IMHO - Go with your gut feeling on this decision

Y Rider
02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
I am also looking at installing the Scorpio i900 with a perimeter sensor. It will not be to keep it from getting stollen, that's what insurance is for, but to keep the neighborhood kiddies from using it as their play ground and parking lot gawkers from putzing with the controls. This will be the first Spyder RT in this town so I am sure it will get a lot of attention.

Badasz
02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I think the scorpio alarm with the perimeter sensor is a good choice that is what I have. The :spyder:gets a lot of attention from a lot of people just sitting there. If the alarm goes off chances are somebody is looking just because its a spyder its a good curiosity deterrent also.

bone crusher
02-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I just installed an alarm and it's not to prevent someone from stealing the spyder. I work at a hospital in the seedy section of the city. I have a cover, but wouldn't use it there b/c that would probably get stolen.

The reason for the alarm is to try and hinder someone from prying open the trunk and causing damage. We have security at the hospital that patrols and they also view monitors of the parking lots.

If the alarm goes off, I'm sure people will look as they do when they hear sirens or see someone laying beaten on the side of the rode.

I'll betcha they'll sooner look at the bike than someone getting beaten on the side of the road! :ohyea:

Buckaroo
02-12-2011, 12:09 AM
A fellow rider told me that putting an alarm on the bike, especially with a perimeter sensor is good way to get the bike's paint job keyed.

bone crusher
02-12-2011, 01:06 PM
A fellow rider told me that putting an alarm on the bike, especially with a perimeter sensor is good way to get the bike's paint job keyed.

Wow...that is harsh...you mean people get annoyed and just slash something? :yikes: