PDA

View Full Version : off topic subjects

Arthur---Mexico
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Dear Lamont,

I think you forgot some subjects that should also be "off topic". I feel that no references should be made to any religion, references to God, and/or race. Those inclusions sometimes creep in. Arthur---Mexico City, Mexico

Dudley
02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Dear Lamont,

I think you forgot some subjects that should also be "off topic". I feel that no references should be made to any religion, references to God, and/or race. Those inclusions sometimes creep in. Arthur---Mexico City, Mexico

I guess if it offends you, you can go elsewhere. Dudley from California

Blue Star
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Dear Lamont,

Arthur, If someone posts something that is against the rules, I think it would be better to write the Administrator (Lamont) directly with examples. He will then decide if the rules have been broken. Your posting, while I am sure is serous for you just leaves everyone wondering what posts you are referring too :dontknow:

Don't be rude now, or you will be deleted :roflblack::roflblack:

boborgera
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Thank GOD Somebody else feels there shouldn't be reference's to GOD.
GOD bless you for having the courage of your convictions. :thumbup:

Dudley
02-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Arthur, If someone posts something that is against the rules, I think it would be better to write the Administrator (Lamont) directly with examples. He will then decide if the rules have been broken. Your posting, while I am sure is serous for you just leaves everyone wondering what posts you are referring too :dontknow:

Don't be rude now, or you will be deleted :roflblack::roflblack:

From one Army Dad to another, "Just stating the facts, sir, just stating the facts!"

pjp623
02-09-2011, 11:46 AM
:lecturef_smilie: We all need to be tolerant of the beliefs of others as long as you don't force those beliefs on someone else. That is something that I've NEVER seen done on this forum. My advice is to just :chill:.

COOLMACHINE
02-09-2011, 01:37 PM
:chill:
:agree:

M2Wild
02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
I always stick to .... "If I don't like it, then ain't gonna keep on reading it." Unless its against the rules of this site, everyone has equal oppertunity to post anything they want. In appropriate forums :D

ARtraveler
02-09-2011, 04:02 PM
In the year I have been watching Spyderlovers, I have only found one thread offensive--but it did not have any of the subjects you mentioned in your post. PS. I was among a minority that found it offensive--others did not seem to have a problem. I know the Admin watches every post and have seen a couple of threads shut down. I guess the best advice--is if you don't like something, quit reading it. If you find something offensive, take it to the Admin. He will determine what flies or not. I think its great that we can get great information as well as express an opinion or two on the subjects of our choice.

IWN2RYD
02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
I am offended by this thread and think it should be deleted...

MUhahahahaha NOT!!! :yikes::roflblack::yes::lecturef_smilie:

effgjamis
02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Dear Lamont,

Just go to church... and leave it alone.. We all have some form of faith and don't interfere with others belief's.

If all one has to do is to find fault,, send PM's...

Blue Star
02-09-2011, 07:14 PM
From one Army Dad to another, "Just stating the facts, sir, just stating the facts!"

Dudley, Sorry if it came off wrong, but it was meant as a joke.

Dudley
02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Dudley, Sorry if it came off wrong, but it was meant as a joke.

I took it as a joke, but I just want Arthur to know that I wasn't joking.

Barbary
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM

:agree: couldn't of said it any softer myself.... Dan from Florida

Blue Star
02-10-2011, 01:34 AM
I took it as a joke, but I just want Arthur to know that I wasn't joking.

:agree:

Desert Spyder
02-10-2011, 07:10 AM
At least we HAVE the freedom (for now) to print anything we want though with that we must be careful of slander or libel. What's disturbing is how I read that the fed's want to have internet cutoff like they did in Egypt, Iran, etc. BTW folks, keep an eye on Turkey and its relationship with Iran and Russia. They used to be pro-West. All this unrest in the Arab lands is setting up the Anti-Christ and the end times. And the Bible says so.

JimAlpha
02-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd bet that Jesus would be welcome here as a Spyderlover with open arms. This country was founded under Christian principles. Anyone can also believe what they want due to our freedoms here whom so many have fought and died for.

Understand freedom of religion? Read our Constitution, say our Pledge of Allegiance. It is ours. Arthur, you are not in much of a position to tell us about what we can or can not write here. No disrespect intended, Sir.

An apology would be nice for all the people in this country and on this forum who have fought and lost their fathers, mothers, sons and daughters for this country to be free.

wyliec
02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd bet that Jesus would be welcome here as a Spyderlover with open arms. This country was founded under Christian principles. Anyone can also believe what they want due to our freedoms here whom so many have fought and died for.

Understand freedom of religion? Read our Constitution, say our Pledge of Allegiance. It is ours. You, Arthur from Mexico, are not in much of a position to tell us in the USA about what we can or can not write here. No disrespect intended, Sir.

An apology would be nice for all the people in this country and on this forum who have fought and died along with their fathers, mothers, sons and daughters for this country to be free.

So, if his screen name was just "Arthur", there would be no problem? I don't think when Lamonster created this site he was differentiating between countries in regards to their views.

I'm retired military and I don't find it offensive what Arthur said. I don't agree with it. But, just b/c someone is from another country doesn't mean that he/she shouldn't be heard.

The bottom line is, Lamont is the sheriff here.

Eraser
02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
...no brainer.....if you don't like something, don't read it!!! All parties.

Dudley
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
So, if his screen name was just "Arthur", there would be no problem? I don't think when Lamonster created this site he was differentiating between countries in regards to their views.

I'm retired military and I don't find it offensive what Arthur said. I don't agree with it. But, just b/c someone is from another country doesn't mean that he/she shouldn't be heard.

Thank you for serving.

I didn't find what Arthur said to be offensive. I just told him if "he" was offended by reference to God, etc., he could go elsewhere. I will tell that to anyone, whether he/she is from Mexico, USA, or anywhere else. I heard Arthur, and I responded. I personally stay away from referencing God, politics, etc., because of my own choice, but I will not tell anyone else not to, or ask Lamont to stop it. There have been numerous requests on SpyderLovers for prayers for sick loved ones, etc. I have never responded on SpyderLovers, but I have prayed for the requests.

wyliec
02-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank you for serving.

I didn't find what Arthur said to be offensive. I just told him if "he" was offended by reference to God, etc., he could go elsewhere. I will tell that to anyone, whether he/she is from Mexico, USA, or anywhere else. I heard Arthur, and I responded. I personally stay away from referencing God, politics, etc., because of my own choice, but I will not tell anyone else not to, or ask Lamont to stop it. There have been numerous requests on SpyderLovers for prayers for sick loved ones, etc. I have never responded on SpyderLovers, but I have prayed for the requests.

:thumbup:

pjp623
02-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank you for serving.

:2thumbs: Amen, Brother !

JimAlpha
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Thank you for your service also.

I agree that Lamont's is the Sheriff here! I was not trying to usurp his role.

Arthur can say whatever he wants from wherever he resides. We have Spyderlovers from all over the world that visit this sight. I am not a person who differentiates based on where someone is from or their religion, as you may have implied (I am a second generation American immigrant myself).

However, I do not agree with others willingness to be "politically correct" to avoid a disagreement or to sit by and watch as someone proceeds to give away our country and our freedoms to whomever asks - a little bit at a time.

Phil
02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
No one likes anything when it is forced on them. Even things that are good for them or good for the group as a whole. I do not force my beliefs and faith on anyone, but neither do I shy away from them when asked.

I travel a lot internationally. When I go to Mexico, Australia, UK, Russia... anywhere... I do not come in waving the American flag. In fact I will not wear Texas or American anything. NOT out of fear. NOT out of disrespect for our country. But out of respect for the location where I am a guest. But if someone in Jordan asks if I am an American or if I am a Christian, I proudly say I am and allow them to express how they feel about that (may times it ain't pretty). I know I'm not going to change their mind on either topic in 2 minutes, but hopefully I leave them with the thought- "... maybe all Americans and/or Christians aren't so bad after all."

Same applies here on SpyderLovers and other forums I frequent. I am a guest. Nothing more. Nothing less. I try to have the same respect that I would have coming into your living room for coffee. It is the same way I run my company, operate on different non-profit boards, and live my life in general. Leave people feeling better for having met you. 99.99% of the members here do that. Working the odds, some won't. Even in America and in churches you have those that will want you to change the way you express your heart to suit THEIR taste. I get that. It is human nature. I am SO thankful for the overwhelming positive, family tone of this board. Thanks Lamont.

And thanks to all of you who have fought to allow us the freedom to disagree with civility. Thanks to those that died to preserve that right. Thanks.

Firefly
02-10-2011, 09:08 PM

Understand freedom of religion? Read our Constitution, say our Pledge of Allegiance. It is ours. Arthur, you are not in much of a position to tell us about what we can or can not write here. No disrespect intended, Sir.

An apology would be nice for all the people in this country and on this forum who have fought and lost their fathers, mothers, sons and daughters for this country to be free.

While I respect your opinion on this, the idea of the USA being founded on 'Christian principles' is a very misleading concept. We were founded with the freedom to worship (or not) as we please. We're also not supposed to intermingle government and religion. The same 1st Amendment that allows me not to worship allows you to worship as you please.

Our country had vast influences that lead to her creation and so-called 'Christian principles' were not the main basis at all. The founding fathers were a broad mix of Deists, Atheists, Freemasons and Christians. The European Enlightenment (the French in particular) had more influence than anything.

-------------------------------------

I don't think Arthur meant anything specific about being offended by the mention of 'God', only that people should be careful when expressing opinions on certain subjects that could be offensive to others. He also mentioned race, which I think we could all agree that derogatory statements about are uncalled for.

I've seen some recently using derogatory terms towards those of middle eastern descent, and hinting that they're basically terrorists. This kind of talk is unfortunate, not to mention incorrect.

The photo of the middle eastern woman near a Spyder was funny in the context of the thread about girlfriends on Spyders, but some of the comments making an association that the photo could attract 'terrorists' was racially insensitive in my opinion.

-------------------------

Dudley, my friend.... I think you kind of jumped the gun here pertaining to Arthur by telling him to 'go elsewhere'. Wasn't it just last week that you were complaining about Spyder photos with 'suggestive' photos of a woman?

My point is that you were 'offended' by the photos and could have easily been told (maybe someone did say this) to 'go elsewhere'.

I guess if something is 'offensive', we all have the option of NOT reading or looking at it-- or report it using the http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/report.php?p=284759) that is on the left of every post.

Hey... I'm no angel and have gotten into heated debates (especially with my special pal HDX - lol) and said things I shouldn't out here---- we should all strive to be more civil.

Maybe we all just have too much PSS (Parked Spyder Syndrome) ???

------------------

Peace!

Dudley
02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
While I respect your opinion on this, the idea of the USA being founded on 'Christian principles' is a very misleading concept. We were founded with the freedom to worship (or not) as we please. We're also not supposed to intermingle government and religion. The same 1st Amendment that allows me not to worship allows you to worship as you please.

Our country had vast influences that lead to her creation and so-called 'Christian principles' were not the main basis at all. The founding fathers were a broad mix of Deists, Atheists, Freemasons and Christians. The European Enlightenment (the French in particular) had more influence than anything.

I don't think Arthur meant anything specific about being offended by the mention of 'God', only that people should be careful when expressing opinions on certain subjects that could be offensive to others. He also mentioned race, which I think we could all agree that derogatory statements about are uncalled for.

I've seen some recently using derogatory terms towards those of middle eastern descent, and hinting that they're basically terrorists. This kind of talk is unfortunate, not to mention incorrect.

The photo of the middle eastern woman near a Spyder was funny in the context of the thread about girlfriends on Spyders, but some of the comments making an association that the photo could attract 'terrorists' was racially insensitive in my opinion.

Dudley, my friend.... I think you kind of jumped the gun here pertaining to Arthur by telling him to 'go elsewhere'. Wasn't it just last week that you were complaining about Spyder photos with 'suggestive' photos of a woman?

My point is that you were 'offended' by the photos and could have easily been told (maybe someone did say this) to 'go elsewhere'.

I guess if something is 'offensive', we all have the option of NOT reading or looking at it-- or report it using the http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/report.php?p=284759) that is on the left of every post.

Hey... I'm no angel and have gotten into heated debates (especially with my special pal HDX - lol) and said things I shouldn't out here---- we should all strive to be more civil.

------------------

Peace!

I wasn't offended by the photos. I just don't think they reflect any positive or constructive input for Spyders or Spyder riders. And, if you recall my posts, Bitten asked for an opinion and I gave it to him. Then all of a sudden I was just a prude that needed to chill and enjoy the beauty. If someone doesn't want an opinion, don't ask.

musicarcade
02-10-2011, 11:31 PM
I am offended by this thread and think it should be deleted...
MUhahahahaha NOT!!! :yikes::roflblack::yes::lecturef_smilie:

I am offended at your offense!:joke:
.....but I can't stop reading:popcorn:
:roflblack:

dancogan
02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Firefly - thanks for a very thoughtful post.:cheers:

mushroom
02-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Just home from the Hospital with another (new) pace maker and just wonder how old you other Riders are. 84 my self and just a year on the Spyder and lookink forward to many more with Gods will. Just wondering?

wyliec
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Just home from the Hospital with another (new) pace maker and just wonder how old you other Riders are. 84 my self and just a year on the Spyder and lookink forward to many more with Gods will. Just wondering?

Good health to you! And, many more years of spydering.

Check this out:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22557

wyliec
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Firefly - thanks for a very thoughtful post.:cheers:

Firefly,

Don't take this the wrong way; no sarcasm intended. But, sometimes you amaze; IMO, that was a very insightful post.

However, that being said, I do enjoy you and HDX going at each other.

TicketBait
02-11-2011, 12:16 PM

------------------

Peace!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/goodpost.gifhttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/goodpost.gif can I have your permission FireFly to paraphrase what you said if the need arises again. So eloquently put.

and in response,.......

I wasn't offended by the photos. I just don't think they reflect any positive or constructive input for Spyders or Spyder riders. And, if you recall my posts, Bitten asked for an opinion and I gave it to him. Then all of a sudden I was just a prude that needed to chill and enjoy the beauty. If someone doesn't want an opinion, don't ask.

Thats not what you said: here is what you said:

Personally I don't like it at all. This forum is about the Spyder, not suggestive girls.

He posted in the off-topic section! OFF- Topic OFF-TOPIC

I just posted my thoughts. You want to see girls, go for it. I don't need that stuff to brighten my day. My wife does that very well, thank you. And , yes, so you're going to tell me to just not open the thread and we're going to have a bickering contest. I will state again, this is NOT a girly/Spyder forum. You wanta see girls and motorcycles, go elsewhere.

Like?.... off - topichttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/7y3tdld.gif

so again Arthur ---Mexico City, Mexico was questioning what is at the top of the off topic board:

Off Topic Board
Zero Tolerance- NO Political Post. Keep it clean and no personal attacks. Any profanity, sexual content or personal attacks or threats will be removed and the user may lose their privilege to use this site.

He wanted the subject about references to any religion, God, and/or race to be included in the zero tolerance.

and you said:

Like?....... off topic

We are all given choices

I think it's time for a group hughttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/grouphug.gif

no matter out differences, we love SpYders.http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/sLo_grouphug3.gif..zero tolerance! http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/police.gif Or you will get the wrath of Lamont, it is his website and we are all invited :spyder2: member guests.

COOLMACHINE
02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Not that it means dittally squat :D because it doesn't :D but I would like to clear one thing up. Bitten's post with pics of his girlfriend on the Spyder was originally posted on the "Spyder General Discussion" then moved to the "Off Topic Board." ...told you it meant nothing!
I just like to see my scattered thoughts in writing. :yes:

TicketBait
02-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Not that it means dittally squat :D because it doesn't :D but I would like to clear one thing up. Bitten's post with pics of his girlfriend on the Spyder was originally posted on the "Spyder General Discussion" then moved to the "Off Topic Board." ...told you it meant nothing!
I just like to see my scattered thoughts in writing. :yes:

Your probably right, but how come when I tried to research where it had been moved from in the Spyder General section,
there was nothing showing the envelope with the arrow, saying "Moved"http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/statusicon/thread_moved.gif

All too often now since i learned about the "New Posts " label up top I read so much more on this forum when I
started out I spent my first 200 days in only the RT section

SilverFox1
02-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Confuscious say!!!! WHEN IN ROME,,,DO WHAT THE ROMANS DO! At least that's what I was thought. But then again, when asked for advice, you may speak freely. The door is wide open is it not? :chat:

SilverFox

Dudley
02-12-2011, 11:40 AM
TicketBait, you will never find in my post where I said I was offended. Not liking something is not being offended, by a long shot. Don't put words in my posts saying that I said something I didn't say.
Once again Bitten asked for opinions from the title of his thread. I simply gave my opinion. I didn't like it then I don't like it now. MY OPINION, not my condemnation.
And it may be Off Topic, but it is still on the Forum.

COOLMACHINE
02-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally said moved but later on that was RE-moved. :) nojoke
And I am out of here.... :)

TicketBait
02-12-2011, 05:09 PM
TicketBait, you will never find in my post where I said I was offended. Not liking something is not being offended, by a long shot. Don't put words in my posts saying that I said something I didn't say.
Once again Bitten asked for opinions from the title of his thread. I simply gave my opinion. I didn't like it then I don't like it now. MY OPINION, not my condemnation.
And it may be Off Topic, but it is still on the Forum.

My interpretation of your above quote is you are answering two different things in the same paragraph. To begin by answering your first 2 sentences:

Please show me where I said you were offended.http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/toetap05.gif That was Firefly, that I quoted. And he was referring to Arthur not you about being offended.
Then in his( Firefly's)3rd paragraph he referred to you being offended about Bittens photos. Which you have clearly stated you were not offended. Great, you did not personally like them.http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/cheers2.gifIf you go back and read my comments in that thread it was all about the music. Never once did I get caught up or take sides on ones opinion about Bittens girlfriends photos. I was more interested in the band he was trying to promote.http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25344And I honestly read the name on the t shirt depicted in the first photo incorrectly. So see even I made a boo boo
But my error was overlooked because another train was headed down the track. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/trainwreck.gif
Both carrying that thing you mentioned earlier, opinion

Question, are you reading the entire responses or just picking and choosing. The quotes I used were from your responses . In your first post You assumed that Arthur was offended. here is your quote 11 minutes after he posted.

Please don't mix up what I said with what someone else has said, it's much easier to just wrap a quote. Post # 11 also used the word offended, but ended it as
MUhahahahaha NOT!!! :yikes::roflblack::yes::lecturef_smilie: I took it as a joke, of course it's jmo:D

If there was any misunderstanding in post # 33 of this thread, where in my first sentence after stating emphatically that it was a good post, I asked for permission to paraphrase, and really only meant the first paragraph about our countries history. If you interpreted that as the entire quote, then I am sorry I was not more clear. I know your not offended.;) I feel it is very important that we don't let the little things go by the wayside. These are not sound bites. But when one does sling a one sentence arrow, it can be construed and interpreted many different ways for all of us here including me.http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/smileys/seeya.gifjmo

TicketBait