PDA

View Full Version : Throttlemeister Cruise Control and want to get rid of the standard grips

3Willie
02-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I have a Throttlemeister Cruise Control with matching bar end weight on other side, but would like to get rid of the stock handlebar grips. I really like the look of the Kuryakyn ISO 6341 Black grips that are now available, but they will not work according to info on the Throttlemeister.com website. The ISO grip is metal with a small internal hole that will not work with my cruise control. Has anyone found a better looking and more comfortable set of grips that will work with the Throttlemister Cruise Control. I like the Cruise Control, just want better looking and more comfortable grips.

stormtrooper
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Saw at a bike show a guy had iso grips and throttlemeister and was told he got a machine shop to drill the iso grip end hole bigger so the throttlemeister fit the hole.:dontknow:Might be something to check out.:thumbup:

NancysToy
02-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Seems like Lamont did something similar, but I can't find the thread.

3Willie
02-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Q: Will the Throttlemeister work with the Kuryakyn ISO grips?

A: Unfortunately, the Throttlemeister will not work with Kuryakyn grips. The Kuryakyn grip is a metal grip with a small diameter hole. The metal on metal contact would not work and the small hole is not big enough for our mounting hardware to fit through.
=================================================
The above is copied from the FAQ portion of the Throttlemeister website. I too thought of drilling out the end of the Kuryakyn grips, but was not sure how to address the metal on metal contact. I do have a good selection of O rings and thought about using one to fit between the metal end of the grip and the Throttlemeister. I also hate to ruin a brand new set of grips while experimenting if it will not work.

I would love to hear how the other person resolved the issues with his grips.

NancysToy
02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Q: Will the Throttlemeister work with the Kuryakyn ISO grips?

A: Unfortunately, the Throttlemeister will not work with Kuryakyn grips. The Kuryakyn grip is a metal grip with a small diameter hole. The metal on metal contact would not work and the small hole is not big enough for our mounting hardware to fit through.
=================================================
The above is copied from the FAQ portion of the Throttlemeister website. I too thought of drilling out the end of the Kuryakyn grips, but was not sure how to address the metal on metal contact. I do have a good selection of O rings and thought about using one to fit between the metal end of the grip and the Throttlemeister. I also hate to ruin a brand new set of grips while experimenting if it will not work.

I would love to hear how the other person resolved the issues with his grips.
I think a rubber disk glue to the Isogrip would do it, but the rubber contact is not necessary. The Throttlemeister uses its own insert, that fits between the brass part of the device and the throttle sleeve. This doesn't even touch the rubber on some installations. The Isogrip might have to be shortened, though. This is not a project for the timid or for a beginner.

Capt John
02-05-2011, 09:08 AM
I have a Throttlemeister Cruise Control with matching bar end weight on other side, but would like to get rid of the stock handlebar grips. I really like the look of the Kuryakyn ISO 6341 Black grips that are now available, but they will not work according to info on the Throttlemeister.com website. The ISO grip is metal with a small internal hole that will not work with my cruise control. Has anyone found a better looking and more comfortable set of grips that will work with the Throttlemister Cruise Control. I like the Cruise Control, just want better looking and more comfortable grips.

I have the ISO grips with the throttlemeister. You have to "hog out" the hole enough for the TM to fit. Also the ISO grips are a little longer, so you will have to cut to fit the plastic adapter that comes with the grips for a spacer. Here is a pic of mine 10335

Lamonster
02-05-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=1006
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=1007

stormtrooper
02-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Seems like Lamont did something similar, but I can't find the thread.

:agree: people have done it and I saw it, so it can be done.I have iso grips with the cruise-mate and bar end weights.Thats what I have.:thumbup:

3Willie
02-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks, Thanks & Thanks!!! You have all answered the questions I had been pondering. I really am leaning toward the powder coated Black Kuryakyn 6341 grips and will post photos when completed.:2thumbs:

BajaRon
02-05-2011, 10:59 PM
I think a rubber disk glue to the Isogrip would do it, but the rubber contact is not necessary. The Throttlemeister uses its own insert, that fits between the brass part of the device and the throttle sleeve. This doesn't even touch the rubber on some installations. The Isogrip might have to be shortened, though. This is not a project for the timid or for a beginner.

Lamont could put a V-8 in a trash can, make it work and look good too! He is amazing.... :yikes:

Did I mention I taught him everything he knows? :dontknow: Probably not... Me being so modest an all! :roflblack:

NancysToy
02-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Lamont could put a V-8 in a trash can, make it work and look good too! He is amazing.... :yikes:

Did I mention I taught him everything he knows? :dontknow: Probably not... Me being so modest an all! :roflblack:
:agree: I heard that you went the other route, though...and put a V-8 in a trash can. :roflblack:

3Willie
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Received my new Kuryakyn 6341 grips and installed yesterday. As noted in previous threads, there were some modifications needed to the grips to get them working with the Throttlemeister and matching bar end weight. This included drilling out the ends of the grips to fit over the Throttlemeister extensions already installed in the handlebar ends.

I also had to do some further modification on my hand brake lever that was recently installed. Research on several threads lead me to a hand brake design using a Honda 450 TRX brake cable plus a version of the bracket made by Oldfart in a 12-07-2008 thread. I did not weld to the existing brake lever, but did have to drill one hole in it to mount my version. I did not take pictures before installing but may eventually if I ever take it apart for some minor adjustments to the design. Nice thing is that I have less than $100 invested not counting my time and cold beer consumed while thinking through the process. I found that I use the handbrake most of the time already. I have not gotten all adjusting completed, but have found a quick pump on the hand brake lever will really apply some serious braking and probably lock them up. I can adjust more, just not interested in having hand brake set a little too tight. If I want more serious braking, I still can use the foot brake even at the same time as the hand brake. The hand and foot choices work separately or together so does not affect any safety stuff.

The recent addition of the up and out mirror extensions have helped a lot. They really helped my field of vision on a short ride a few days ago.

Now we just need some warmer weather for riding!!

usurp31
02-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Looks good Cape, thanks for the photos.