PDA

View Full Version : Spyderfest... Raincheck.

WackyDan
02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm torn.

Want so bad to head to Cuba, but the Charlotte March of Dimes walk for babies is April 30th.

As many of you know or can imagine, due to the premature birth of our daughter I have a connection of sorts to The March of Dimes. I have been speaking at the local monthly family support dinners, where families that currently have babies in the NICU can learn from us veteran NICU parents. The NICU staff asked us if we would walk with their team while pushing our daughter Leah in her stroller on the 30th.

I could just send my Wife and Leah, but I would be feeling some guilt.

I also would be missing CUBA and all of you terribly.

Mom and dad told me having a baby sure does complicate things. I wasn't aware at the time that it applies to 40 year olds too!

docdoru
02-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Family comes first, Spyder family second...:shemademe_smilie::thumbup:

fastfraser
02-04-2011, 04:05 PM
:thumbup: Don't fight it ! Do what your heart tells you and don't look back.

Papa
02-04-2011, 04:07 PM
I have to leave Saturday to lead Team Rosenberg in the MS Walk. My wife has MS and we are one of the top fundraising teams at our location.

BikerDoc
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I have been active in bikers for Babies and Walk for Babies with March of dimes for several years and they have done wonderful things for the children of this country.. Family is first and they help families big time.. Maybe you can catch us all at Maggie Valley and Lamonsters BBQ in June

Lamonster
02-04-2011, 04:17 PM
:thumbup: Don't fight it ! Do what your heart tells you and don't look back.
:agree:

pitbull
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Dan, be great to have you and the family with us. And I know all would love the chance to meet your little blessing. So which ever you decied will be the right choice. We will be also having a charity event to help kids at spyderfest. It's friday night with spyders on the green, all the money goes back to help feed younger kids in our schools who have bad homes and not enough to eat over the weekend, so just letting you know which ever event you choice you will be helping to make a diffrence in kids life. I have saw this group in action and it will both humble you and make you cry, but also make you fighting mad to see how some kids go with out, this group makwes a big diffrence to these kids and i'm very proud and excited we get to help them out with our spyder event. Dan thanks for caring for the kids there the best thing on earth!

SpyderWolf
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM

:agree: You have to do what is best for your family, and the relationships you have built there, especially if your heart tells you to. Having children does complicate things, as they are now our future and we need to do whatever we can to protect them and help them succeed. I am sure you are doing a great job helping those other families and giving them some much needed support and guidance at the meetings, and they need that as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see you at Spyderfest, but you have to follow your heart my friend. :thumbup:

Firefly
02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
You can still come to Maggie Valley in June!

Just remember what happens to no-shows --- ask Irish---- :roflblack: .....
Nah-- we'd cut you a break on this one......

Boriken
02-04-2011, 05:18 PM
:agree: and don't forget that Lamonter's BBQ and Maggie Valley are just around the corner. I hope to see you there, my prayers are with Leah. God Bless.

WackyDan
02-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Yeah... Still torn. No way the wife will come to Cuba with me, as Leah will still be on the heart and breathing monitor.

Maggie Valley in June is a sure thing.

Spyders in the Adirondacks at the end of July is also a go as that is my old stomping grounds and family is up there. Going to be held up near Saranac Lake... Beautiful and very remote. For those of you that love the Smokies, I can tell you that where the Adirondacks lack the density of twisties, they make up for it in sheer beauty. The Adirondacks are absolutely huge, and you will be far more remote from civilization on the west, south and north side of the event.

So I'll get at least two events in.

I'll post some more pics of Leah soon. - She is doing great!

dancogan
02-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Dan, having been down the same road as you 31 years ago, I know exactly how you feel. The March of Dimes remains special to us, along with a number of other worthy charities that have special meaning to us. As a matter of fact, my wife announced at dinner that tonight was the 18th anniversary of her mastectomy, and she's doing just great!

You'll know what to do, and you won't feel guilty when you make your decision.

BajaRon
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
We have a friend that just had a baby girl at 25 weeks, 1lb 9oz. She is doing very well and we are thankful for that.

The new ones are more important than us old (or older) ones.

dltang
02-05-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm torn.

Want so bad to head to Cuba, but the Charlotte March of Dimes walk for babies is April 30th.

As many of you know or can imagine, due to the premature birth of our daughter I have a connection of sorts to The March of Dimes. I have been speaking at the local monthly family support dinners, where families that currently have babies in the NICU can learn from us veteran NICU parents. The NICU staff asked us if we would walk with their team while pushing our daughter Leah in her stroller on the 30th.

I could just send my Wife and Leah, but I would be feeling some guilt.

I also would be missing CUBA and all of you terribly.

Mom and dad told me having a baby sure does complicate things. I wasn't aware at the time that it applies to 40 year olds too!
Dan, the fact that you are torn kind of answers your question. I would love to see you at SpyderFest but I have a strong feeling your heartstrings will keep you home. There is nothing wrong with that. Your wife and baby are everything right now and there are more spyder gatherings down the road.

Dudley
02-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Dan, I can understand being pulled in 2 directions. But your decision, along with your wife, to have a baby was one that is admirable. The birth of your child doesn't complicate your lives, it brings your lives to a height that is not reachable in any other way. There will be plenty more March of Dimes, but there will only be one FIRST Match of Dimes walk for you and your family. That both events happen on the same weekend will not be the first time that you will have to make decisions about when/where/what to do with your family. Family should come first...friends and events come and go, but your family will be with you for life. What would I do? I would be in that March of Dimes! That would be a fantastic way to let my wife know that I am accepting my responsibility as a father and husband.

SpyderSteve
02-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Great Post :agree: :clap: Family ALWAYS comes 1ST.

Firefly
02-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Spyders in the Adirondacksis in July?

Probably will have to pass on that one--- too soon after Maggie Valley. I thought they were replacing the fall SITS with that----- decisions decisions........

hevnbound
02-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Dan, personally I think you are doing the right thing ... :thumbup:

Hopefully we can get NC/SC riders together a couple of times this year. Thinking about a Sdyder overnighter this summer at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.

Keep checking the NC board.

OH! BTW ... if some of us would like to sponsor Leah in this walk, how would we do that?...

SpyderSteve
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM
OH! BTW ... if some of us would like to sponsor Leah in this walk, how would we do that?... :agree:

WackyDan
02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Dan, personally I think you are doing the right thing ... :thumbup:

Hopefully we can get NC/SC riders together a couple of times this year. Thinking about a Sdyder overnighter this summer at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge.

Keep checking the NC board.

OH! BTW ... if some of us would like to sponsor Leah in this walk, how would we do that?...

I'll let you guys know. Thanks!

Phil
02-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Dan- This in not original to me, but may I suggest you think this way--
Ask yourself- 'who would cry at my funeral'. This applies to ANYTHING, especially work, when you have decisions like this. We'll send pics and stories if you'll reciprocate and send pics of the walk. Take the Spyder!!