PDA

View Full Version : KewlMetal Luggage Rack Installed on a 2011 RS-S

IWN2RYD
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... I must say this with a word of caution. But this was NOT an easy install.

If you watch the video, the first clue will be the fact that they all ready have the frame mount installed and bolted in "Before" Matt demonstrates the install.:popcorn:

Do not get me wrong. As long as you are level headed and have a general set of tools the install will happen. :2thumbs:

I do not know if the tolerances are so close together deliberately or not. Or if BRP has allowed for a few extra wide QC items in their allowed tolerance levels... But I have to hammer the crap out of mine to get it in (Rubber blunt hammer). I mean the back side of it, not in anyway bending or modifying it.

And I had to do it twice :roflblack:... sigh...

The first time I tried it looked like it was at to much of an upward angle to install with the tail lights installed.. So I took those off. Hammered it in... And then went :cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus::cus:. My eyes told me I failed. I never should have removed the tail lights because I will never get the back bolts back in place.

So I tried a few tricks to get it back out... NOT... Ended up taking one of my "Tree stump remover" cables... Sliding a bolt through the mount with a bunch of washers to slip the cable through... Attached the other end to my tow hitch on the truck.. And tried a little pressure with the bike powered... Nope... Then tried a little love with more power... Nope... Tried a little more power with slack at first... Came right out...

Back to the garage for round 2...

Had to do a little finessing and a lot of rubber hammer, maybe even a little body English and all was good.

One thing is for sure. If we ever sell the bike. It is staying right where it is.

Now I want to mention one VERY important item here.

If you EVER plan to change the taillights... Do yourself a favor and do it before you install this kit. Because if they deliberately designed this to be that tight where we have no choice but to hammer it in... You will have a very troublesome time down the road to get this off again. Can it be done? Yes sure. But not without leverage and time.

Also wanted to mention how beautiful this unit is. They did another top notch design for sure. Only complaint I have cosmetically is the top plate looks to have been chipped before they shipped it. The padding they used was also top notch... The box showed up in perfect shape with no puncture marks or anything from transit. The very end has no powder coat (Not the end I was hammering, the top plate we bolt on) so I will need to seal this before it gets wet...

pierrelogic
02-03-2011, 10:40 PM
:agree:

I had to install mine twice and in doing so hit one of the tail lights with rubber mallet breaking the filaments. This of course prompted me to replace both with much brighter longer lasting 2357LL than the OEM 1157 bulbs.

All part of the learning curve of working on your own machine. :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Definitely need a pic of the finished product after all you had to go through to get it installed. :D

IWN2RYD
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM

I had to install mine twice and in doing so hit one of the tail lights with rubber mallet breaking the filaments. This of course prompted me to replace both with much brighter longer lasting 2357LL than the OEM 1157 bulbs.

All part of the learning curve of working on your own machine. :thumbup:

You hit your lights... I hit my brand new Comfort seat... TWICE!!! Now I have to find a repair kit... Two small punctures... :mad::cus::gaah::helpsmilie:

CyncySpyder
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
:b2b::nopic::bdh:

IWN2RYD
02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
OK hear are a few pics...

The two "Breather" holes I put in my new seat (If you missed the sarcasm... read it again with the knowledge I was beg sarcastic :roflblack:)

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6093/canamspyder2011rsskewlm.jpg

Close up of the top plate end with no Powder coat from factory...

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6093/canamspyder2011rsskewlm.jpg

A couple of different angle-shots of my dirty bike waiting for tomorrow when I dry fit the luggage on it for the boss... (Yeah I ryde it, and let the rain wash it during the rainy days :ohyea:)

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6093/canamspyder2011rsskewlm.jpg

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6093/canamspyder2011rsskewlm.jpg

IWN2RYD
02-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I failed to mention... I do not have the tail pieces mounted yet because I plan to find the final mounting position of the luggage first. I do not want to "Assume" how far forward or backward I need to have the back pad for passenger... :thumbup:

All this means is the final product does look very nice and clean with the back cover on it...

SpyderWolf
02-05-2011, 06:50 PM
That is an interesting rack. I hadn't looked at it before now. Please post pics after you have the luggage on it, and it is all buttoned up.

IWN2RYD
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Cool! Now we know who to send out to pick up our order at a gathering :shemademe_smilie::roflblack::ohyea:

pierrelogic
02-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Versatility is why I opted for this over the sport rack. This may be one of the best mods Kewlmetal produces.

A flat surface to set things like drinks on, holes in the side that are great for bungie cord hooks, a variety of top plates available that fit into pre-drilled holes. The backrest is simple to install (2 screws) and fully adjustable. The channel (what seems to require the hammer to install) actually becomes part of the frame. Their website shows a guy standing on the installed product. Try that on a sports rack. Also you can take off the luggage rack, leave the channel in place and put the OEM tail piece back on with ease. :thumbup:

The sports rack is very nice and color coordinated, just not as many features as this one.

Campverdefela
02-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Versatility is why I opted for this over the sport rack. This may be one of the best mods Kewlmetal produces.

A flat surface to set things like drinks on, holes in the side that are great for bungie cord hooks, a variety of top plates available that fit into pre-drilled holes. The backrest is simple to install (2 screws) and fully adjustable. The channel (what seems to require the hammer to install) actually becomes part of the frame. Their website shows a guy standing on the installed product. Try that on a sports rack. Also you can take off the luggage rack, leave the channel in place and put the OEM tail piece back on with ease. :thumbup:

The sports rack is very nice and color coordinated, just not as many features as this one.

SpyderWolf
02-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Those are very good points, and I would probably go this route as well if I didn't already have the BRP one. You are also right, there is no way I would ever think of trying to stand on mine. :shocked: