PDA

View Full Version : Kuryakyn Grips on the RT (with heat)

Lamonster
02-02-2011, 09:22 PM
One of the first things most folks do themselves is change the grips. The Kuryakyn ISO grips are probably the most popular grip on the market. The are fairly large and give you good isolation from vibration. That being said, it's not as easy to change out when you have heated grips and after having heated grips for over a year now there is no way I was going to give them up.

I got a set of Kury 6183 clamshell grips that are made to go over the Goldwing heated grips.
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6876&str=4
I did a test run when I first got them and could see that this wasn't going to be a bolt-up situation without doing a little work on the stock grips and shift paddle on the SE. There was another member on SpyderLovers that put the work in and got it done on both a SM and a SE so I knew it could be done. Thanks for blazing the trail. :thumbup:

So here's a step by step if you want to attempt this mod.

I started with the left side as I knew it was going to be the hardest seeing this was an SE with a paddle shift.

First thing you want to do is to put the bottom part of the clamshell on to see where the paddle is going to hit.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13449

You're going to grind a little at a time and test the shifter by putting the bottom piece in place and starting the RT and shifting into first and then back to neutral. Make sure you leave the parking brake on when testing.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13448

Once you get that where you like it you can take the end cap off and start trimming the end of the grip.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13447

This is what it should look like when you're done.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13446

Now you're ready to slide the rubber over the grip. I found that you're best off putting the bottom half on first before you try and slide it over the grip. If you don't it will add to the fight you're about to have.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13442

I used 409 spay cleaner and soaked the stock grip and the Kury grip so I could move it around easily. Once the soap drys it's not going anywhere.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13441

The next part is where the fight begins. You need to mate the top shell to the bottom shell and you would swear it will never fit. The rubber is going to be too big to fit in the holes in the clamshell but if you take your time and work each one it will fit. As you're doing this you are trying to pinch the two half's together. When you get it close enough you can start the screws to help hold it in place.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13445

On the picture above you can see some little tabs in the splice area. Those tabs have to lock in to hold the two half's together. I used a rag with some channel locks to pinch it together. Be careful not to damage the grip.

On the SE I went ahead and rotated the grip so I could get to this screw and tighten it down because the paddle will be in the way if you don't do that now.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13444

Once you have that tight you can rotate the grip where you want it and tighten down the rest of the screws and install the end cap.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13443

The throttle side is the same except when you take the stock end cap off make sure you put the bolt back in so the spring can't work it's way out.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13450

Make sure the throttle turns freely and returns on it's own. It should have clearance between the switch housing and the end of the grip.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=494&pictureid=13438

I haven't had a chance to test the heat yet but I know these work great on the Goldwing so they should work great on the RT seeing these grips get hotter than Goldwing grips.

Haven't installed any on a SM RT but it should be easier than a SE. Hope this helps. :doorag:

MarkLawson
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks Lamont. I'll have to give it a try. Next decision is chrome or black...

Pincushion
02-02-2011, 11:17 PM
THANKS Lamont! ISO grips are on my list now... in BLACK!

tatt2r
02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
can they be used on GS model ???:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Lamonster
02-05-2011, 04:58 PM
can they be used on GS model ???:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
Only if you had the same size grip as the heated grip that it goes over.

SpydeRider2010
02-05-2011, 07:31 PM
great info and good tips. thanks :2thumbs:

dave711
04-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Great post Lamont... Going to try this also but I want to use the kewlmetal helment hanger endcaps.... any advice?:2thumbs:

Lamonster
04-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Great post Lamont... Going to try this also but I want to use the kewlmetal helment hanger endcaps.... any advice?:2thumbs:

You might be able to make them fit but this grip is bigger than a stock Kury iso grip. :dontknow:

johnnyg
04-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Lamont I asked you about these grips at Daytona, Well I picked them up at Leesburg Bikefest and put them on. The only thing I did different was I used the drumell tool to make it a lot easier to cut the ends off. Also I picked up the Slick Mist and it's great thanks jc

Lamonster
04-23-2011, 08:55 AM
:thumbup:
Lamont I asked you about these grips at Daytona, Well I picked them up at Leesburg Bikefest and put them on. The only thing I did different was I used the drumell tool to make it a lot easier to cut the ends off. Also I picked up the Slick Mist and it's great thanks jc

cougar
05-26-2011, 02:52 PM
lamonster,

Do they come in all black? Can the grip clamp be ground down instead of the shift paddle?

cougar

Lamonster
05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
lamonster,

Do they come in all black? Can the grip clamp be ground down instead of the shift paddle?

cougar
They do not come in black that I know of and I guess you could grind the grip down but that would show more than grinding down the paddle.

acinpcola
05-26-2011, 03:27 PM
:2thumbs: Thanks for the info Lamont.. Will put the grips on the ole wish list.

Be Safe
AC:spyder2:

harleyRick
08-24-2011, 09:18 PM
I installed mine today thanks Lamonster !!!

rickm
08-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Are these grips larger then the other ISO's ? I mean the Dia. My hands barely went around the one on my Harley

MarkLawson
08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Are these grips larger then the other ISO's ? I mean the Dia. My hands barely went around the one on my Harley

They are very big. They are designed to fit over the heated grips, not replace them.

harleyRick
08-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Yes they're much bigger Diameter It works for me but I have large hands.

Lamonster
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
These are 1.87" and the standard ISO grips are 1.67"

smartin436
11-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I did this mod yesterday. Not to difficult, made a huge difference in comfort to me. I got big hands and would get cramps after a while.

Well worth it!!!!!

Bob Denman
12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Question: Do these beauties get warm enough when you poke some electricity at the heated grips underneath??

smartin436
12-13-2011, 09:30 PM
I for sure lost some heat after the mod...........they do still get warm enough for me......bear in mind though.....I live on the gulf coast, not New York.
Other than that, great mod, they are very fat, I have big hands they feel great to me. I also put the throttle boss on the right side.....i like it too......

Steve

Question: Do these beauties get warm enough when you poke some electricity at the heated grips underneath??

NorthStar
12-13-2011, 10:18 PM
I found that the heat transfer using the high setting with these shells over the stock grips is approximately equivalent to the heat you will feel using the low settings on your stock grip. If you need more than this level of heat then these clamshell grips are not for you.

It should also be mentioned that it takes a tad longer for the heat transfer to be felt through these grip covers.

Personally I have found the heat adequate for my needs, but only because I found the high setting on my stock grips was a touch too hot for my liking.

Hope this helps.

LisaT
03-18-2012, 03:25 PM
My husband put mine on yesterday and he used a hose clamp to help with the installation said it helped immensely!!! They work and feel and look great on there!

Alberts46
03-18-2012, 03:50 PM
I have one very dumb question, the grinding that Lamont speaks of, is that on the ISO Grip or actually on the paddle shifter?

NorthStar
03-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I have one very dumb question, the grinding that Lamont speaks of, is that on the ISO Grip or actually on the paddle shifter?
It is on the paddle shifter. When you mount the clam shell you will see where it hits. Take a rotary tool and shave it until the shifter no longer hits the grip flange. Take it slowly and do it in stages. I did it two years back and everything is good.

mcaccamise
01-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Just an FYI the iso grips for non heated replacements come in gloss black (non clam shell) and are made to install after the spyder grips are removed.

Hammie
03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Has anyone installed the 6183 grips on a 2012 RT model? I was wonder if the shifter still requires being shaved down.

Questions
08-20-2013, 11:01 AM
This is Darren from Kuryakyn and we do have the Black ISO grips for the heated grips part# is 6383, if anyone has any questions or problems feel free to contact me.

thank you

Questions
10-31-2013, 12:53 AM
I have bought a pair of 7/8 Kuryakyn Grips for my 2012 RT will I not be able to take the old grips off and install the ISO grips as I did on my Goldwing would appreciate any advice you can offer
Thank You

Yemaya
11-16-2013, 05:41 AM
I have bought a pair of 7/8 Kuryakyn Grips for my 2012 RT will I not be able to take the old grips off and install the ISO grips as I did on my Goldwing would appreciate any advice you can offer
Thank You
Hi Fredor, why not order the clamshell grips that easily install over your heated grips? My husband and I installed the black ones, 6383, over my stock heated grips this week following Lamonster's instructions and pictures. It went really well, and I'm still able to get my heat. With a little bit of effort, they slid right over the stock heated grips. We shaved the very end piece of the stock grip and used a Dremel to shave down the paddle shifter, and it looks perfect. It seems that you would ruin the heat option if you removed the stock heated grips, and the clamshells are not expensive at all. I think you should order those and make it easy on yourself.

Good luck!

jcthorne
11-16-2013, 08:33 AM
I too installed the 6383 black grips and love them. I thought it odd they did not have the throttle boss for these in black, only chrome. So I ordered one in black for the smaller ISO grips and did a little filing and refinish work on the inside of the tab, they went on fine. Oh, the hose clamp idea someone posted was great, made the install much easier.

rick_w
11-16-2013, 09:26 AM
I too installed the 6383 black grips and love them. I thought it odd they did not have the throttle boss for these in black, only chrome. So I ordered one in black for the smaller ISO grips and did a little filing and refinish work on the inside of the tab, they went on fine. Oh, the hose clamp idea someone posted was great, made the install much easier.

You must use the Contoured Throttle Bosses (http://store.valueaccessories.net/KuryakynISOThrottleBossStandardorContoured-1.aspx) with those specific grips. For black it is only available for the right side. Hopefully they are going to have a left side available soon.

We used Chrome on ours and put the Contoured Throttle Bosses on Both Sides.

If you are willing to do a little messing around it is well worth it.
Rick
http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/detail/61832.JPG

RTVIPER
11-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I will be tackling this project in the coming week :clap::clap: just received the grips. Lamonsters' tutorial makes it look easy. I :pray: it is.

jcthorne
11-17-2013, 08:04 AM
You must use the Contoured Throttle Bosses (http://store.valueaccessories.net/KuryakynISOThrottleBossStandardorContoured-1.aspx) with those specific grips. For black it is only available for the right side. Hopefully they are going to have a left side available soon.

We used Chrome on ours and put the Contoured Throttle Bosses on Both Sides.

If you are willing to do a little messing around it is well worth it.
Rick
http://store.valueaccessories.net/images/products/detail/61832.JPG

Kuryakyn reports that pn 6318 the black contoured throttle boss does not fit the 6383 GL1800 clamshell type grips, only the standard ISO grips, just like the regular Throttle Boss.

Here is the web page:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3852/Contoured-ISO-Throttle-Boss

pn 6310 does fit but its available in chrome only.

rick_w
11-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Kuryakyn reports that pn 6318 the black contoured throttle boss does not fit the 6383 GL1800 clamshell type grips, only the standard ISO grips, just like the regular Throttle Boss.

Here is the web page:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3852/Contoured-ISO-Throttle-Boss

pn 6310 does fit but its available in chrome only.

I am quite aware of what they have in their catalog and online, we are a factory Kuryakyn dealer. Since we have availability for parts and bikes to try them on we try all kinds of things out, a lot of times at customers request.
The standard Contoured Throttle Bosses work fine as you can see from the picture I have with them installed on our own RT with the Kuryakyn Clam Shell Grips installed.
The other Contour Throttle Bosses they list are a bit wider. The chrome and black are the same piece. I think the standard size Contour looks better.
The standard original Throttle Bosses will not work with these grips.

We have been selling the regular contour's to go with these for a while.
Rick

jcthorne
11-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I am quite aware of what they have in their catalog and online, we are a factory Kuryakyn dealer. Since we have availability for parts and bikes to try them on we try all kinds of things out, a lot of times at customers request.
The standard Contoured Throttle Bosses work fine as you can see from the picture I have with them installed on our own RT with the Kuryakyn Clam Shell Grips installed.
The other Contour Throttle Bosses they list are a bit wider. The chrome and black are the same piece. I think the standard size Contour looks better.
The standard original Throttle Bosses will not work with these grips.

We have been selling the regular contour's to go with these for a while.
Rick

Kuryakyn says the 6309 and 6318 (chrome and black respectively) are the same size. The 6310 is for the clamshell grips for GL1800 and there is not a corresponding black part number at this time. I emailed them long ago when I looked for mine before ordering. Your photo above is the chrome 6310.

So you are saying the catalog and Kuryakyn customer service rep are both wrong and the pn 6318 is actually the same size as the 6310, not the smaller 6299? Really not trying to argue with you, just tired of ordering parts that do not fit correctly or as described and vendors blame me for one reason or another and I am out $$ in shipping etc trying parts until I make one fit.

rick_w
11-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Kuryakyn says the 6309 and 6318 (chrome and black respectively) are the same size. The 6310 is for the clamshell grips for GL1800 and there is not a corresponding black part number at this time. I emailed them long ago when I looked for mine before ordering. Your photo above is the chrome 6310.

So you are saying the catalog and Kuryakyn customer service rep are both wrong and the pn 6318 is actually the same size as the 6310, not the smaller 6299? Really not trying to argue with you, just tired of ordering parts that do not fit correctly or as described and vendors blame me for one reason or another and I am out $$ in shipping etc trying parts until I make one fit.

Pretty hard to argue with a picture that shows installed. I also did not say they were the exact same size. I stated that the 6310 for the GL1800 are a little wider (same at the mounting point).

We only tried it because one of our customers installed them before we put them on our RT and called us. Kuryakyn made a larger outside diameter one, the 6310 that will not touch the rubber. It would fit exactly like the originals on the standard grips. These are designed for Gold Wings and if they did not look exactly like the originals with the same proportions some people may complain.
The rep's at Kuryakyn in almost all cases are going to tell you exactly what is on the fitment chart. We do talk to Kuryakyn every day, our company rep there does know that they will fit.
If you want black order a set from us, it will fit exactly as shown on our RT. We even have the Blue Accent Rings installed with them now.
If someone wants the larger version in Chrome we can get them also.
Rick

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/Motorcycle%20Pictures/Can-Am%20Spyder/Spyder0813-7_zps8ddd39b5.jpg

jcthorne
11-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Ok, time to put up or shut up....

Order placed. I appreciate your patience with me and look forward to the properly fitting throttle boss with my Kuryakyn 6383 grips.

James

jcthorne
11-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Received the contoured throttle boss in black. Not entirely happy. While I was able to make it 'fit' the rounded part that goes between the end cap and end of grip is significantly smaller diameter than the grip and end cap. Looks like crap and looks like I used the wrong part. (which I did). Getting the screws in was a tight fit, have to hold the throttle boss up against the grip, hard enough to compress the rubber grip for the screw holes to align.

It does NOT look like the chrome ones in the photos above that show it matches the diameter of the grip. As stated by Kuryakyn, its not the right part for these grips. Its not worth the $$ in shipping to send back a $16 part. Once again, a vendor sells parts that 'fit' and yet really don't. Sorry but facts are facts and thought others should know before making up their own mind. Perhaps Kuryakyn will one day sell a throttle boss for these black clamshell grips like the chrome ones.

RTVIPER
11-24-2013, 11:45 AM
Pretty hard to argue with a picture that shows installed. I also did not say they were the exact same size. I stated that the 6310 for the GL1800 are a little wider (same at the mounting point).

We only tried it because one of our customers installed them before we put them on our RT and called us. Kuryakyn made a larger outside diameter one, the 6310 that will not touch the rubber. It would fit exactly like the originals on the standard grips. These are designed for Gold Wings and if they did not look exactly like the originals with the same proportions some people may complain.
The rep's at Kuryakyn in almost all cases are going to tell you exactly what is on the fitment chart. We do talk to Kuryakyn every day, our company rep there does know that they will fit.
If you want black order a set from us, it will fit exactly as shown on our RT. We even have the Blue Accent Rings installed with them now.
If someone wants the larger version in Chrome we can get them also.
Rick

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/rmwiles/Motorcycle%20Pictures/Can-Am%20Spyder/Spyder0813-7_zps8ddd39b5.jpg

just installed these exact same grips. Love them :thumbup::thumbup: now if only the rain will stop:banghead::banghead::banghead:

jcthorne
11-24-2013, 03:50 PM
just installed these exact same grips. Love them :thumbup::thumbup: now if only the rain will stop:banghead::banghead::banghead:

You installed the chrome or black grips? My problem was Kuryakyn says they do not have a throttle boss that fits the black grips, Rick maintained the ones they were selling would fit. They do not fit correctly and do not look like the ones in the photo when installed. The ones in the photo are chrome and use a different part number throttle boss that does fit the chrome grips.

RTVIPER
11-24-2013, 09:57 PM
You installed the chrome or black grips? My problem was Kuryakyn says they do not have a throttle boss that fits the black grips, Rick maintained the ones they were selling would fit. They do not fit correctly and do not look like the ones in the photo when installed. The ones in the photo are chrome and use a different part number throttle boss that does fit the chrome grips.

Since I have all chrome, installed the chrome ones.

rick_w
12-03-2013, 04:01 PM

They should have fit exactly as the chrome, the grips are the same and throttle boss is the same.
We do not want you to be unhappy. There may be a small difference in the black grips that are giving you the problem. We have had a lot of people install those chrome ones.
Send it back in the mail, we will credit you back everything and give you credit for the the return shipping.
Rick

Genet
08-17-2014, 07:09 PM
I just finished looking at the procedure for installing the kury 6183 grips and realized that it was a while ago this was done.
will the same 6183 work as well on my 2013 ST S ?
gene t

JIM EVANS
01-21-2017, 05:53 PM
OK LEFT SIDE ON NO PROBLEM WHEN I TOOK THE RT END CAP OUT MY SPRING POPPED OUT... WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING IT BACK IN CAN SEE THE SLOTED AREA WHERE IT SHOULD GO AND THE PIN IT SHOULD FIT INTO.... IF I JUST LINE THOSE UP THE TIGHTER I MAKE THE SCREW THE THROTTLE DOES NOT RETURN FULLY.. IF I BACK IT OUT IT RETURNS NORMALLY.. KNOW I AM DOING SOMETHING STUPID... AND CANT FIND THE PROPER ALIGNMENT IN MY SERVICE MANUAL

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

THANKS

lou49
01-21-2017, 10:38 PM
(http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?25394-Kuryakyn-Grips-on-the-RT-(with-heat)#top)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/customavatars/avatar8295_2.gif (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?8295-smartin436)Join DateAug 2011LocationMobile AlabamaPosts94Post Thanks / Like http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/collapse_40b.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?25394-Kuryakyn-Grips-on-the-RT-(with-heat)#top)

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.png

I for sure lost some heat after the mod...........they do still get warm enough for me......bear in mind though.....I live on the gulf coast, not New York.
Other than that, great mod, they are very fat, I have big hands they feel great to me. I also put the throttle boss on the right side.....i like it too......

I lost some of the heat too, but now that i moved to Florida, i guess I have to think about a/c grips!

DriftersWay
01-22-2017, 06:48 AM
OK LEFT SIDE ON NO PROBLEM WHEN I TOOK THE RT END CAP OUT MY SPRING POPPED OUT... WHAT IS THE TRICK TO GETTING IT BACK IN CAN SEE THE SLOTED AREA WHERE IT SHOULD GO AND THE PIN IT SHOULD FIT INTO.... IF I JUST LINE THOSE UP THE TIGHTER I MAKE THE SCREW THE THROTTLE DOES NOT RETURN FULLY.. IF I BACK IT OUT IT RETURNS NORMALLY.. KNOW I AM DOING SOMETHING STUPID... AND CANT FIND THE PROPER ALIGNMENT IN MY SERVICE MANUAL

ANY HELP APPRECIATED

THANKS

I had the same thing happen to me. What I did was to stretch the spring just a slight bit.
I then used a small screw driver to help line up the pin inside the handle. Then carefully installed the end cap
Good luck