PDA

View Full Version : spyder towing

napper39
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
has any one tride towing a spyder with this tow dollies could work if the welded a nother pice of steel to fit the spyder front wheels.what do you think .??:dontknow:

boborgera
02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
has any one tride towing a spyder with this tow dollies could work if the welded a nother pice of steel to fit the spyder front wheels.what do you think .??:dontknow:

:hun::hun:

Nate01
02-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Just a guess, but I would say towing the spyder by the front tires leaving the rear wheel on the ground would cause unwanted wear on the pulley and the belt. Not to mention the transmission. But I am no mechanic, nor am I very mechanically inclined.. Just a guess on my part.

pjp623
02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
:( Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
At the least, it's going to do a number on your rear tire.

NancysToy
02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Someone tried this a long while back, and it didn't work out. Never heard of another attempt.

jcgirouard
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Do you like this10287

Y Rider
02-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Do you like this10287

That looks like if you hit a good size bump it may damage the frunk. May work out for an emergency but I wouldn't haul it this way for any long distances. If the stearing turned it might prove disasterous.

boborgera
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Let me tell you the only way i tow my ATV,s/ Snowmobile's/ Rhino/ Spyder Is on a trailer. And its not just that I'm worried about something happening to my Machines,
I worry that if one breaks lose because of a homemade Rube Goldberg contraption and hits someone,
I'll lose allot more than just a toy.

Y Rider
02-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Let me tell you the only way i tow my ATV,s/ Snowmobile's/ Rhino/ Spyder Is on a trailer. And its not just that I'm worried about something happening to my Machines,
I worry that if one breaks lose because of a homemade Rube Goldberg contraption and hits someone,

Excellent point! :agree:

jcgirouard
02-02-2011, 06:28 PM
The Spyder was hauled that way from Quebec to
Virginia without any problems. The rear wheel is resting on a swivelling curved support which is inserted in the pick-up's hitch. The handles are firmly tied to the bike's frame and they are securely immobilized. :2thumbs:

napper39
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
will one person says it dureable and the others think its crazy,and im not sure,so if any body else know ,let me know.still looking for the way that will be the least money to buy.ive found some of these used for 350 dollars so thats not bad,but i dont want to hurt my mr blue.:chat::spyder:

Eraser
02-02-2011, 07:40 PM

Excellent point! :agree:

:agree:Safety is the ticket.A proper trailer is the way to go.

Questions
02-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi, I have towed my Spyder behind my Motorhome on the tow dolly I use for my cars. I remove the drive belt from the rear pully and wire tie it to the fram rail. I have replaced the lower rear shock bolt with a quick release pin to speed up removing and replacing the belt. It only takes a few minuets and I do not have to adjust the belt tension. Make sure you replace the shock bolt after you remove the belt.

Works for me.

Arthur---Mexico
02-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I have found that the best trailer to use for hauling my Spyder or my HD sidecar is a 4 wheeled trailer. I built a very well made 2 wheel trailer with 15" wheels for my HD s/c and the there was no way to stop the swaying at speeds above 55 mph. I even installed shocks on it to no avail. The same was true with a U.S.built tubular trailer that was rated at one ton equiped with 13" wheels. So I had a four 15" wheel flat bed trailer made that I dapted for my use. Lots of over kill but talk about comfort and secuity. 15" tires are available at very low prices. No swaying at any speed.

Spyder tires cost a lot. If you are hauling your Spyder it is for two reasons. One is to take it to a CLOSE shop. The other is that you don't want to drive it for more than 2 hours, it's along haul, snow or rain, a thousand miles. Don't wear out your Spyder's tires. Motorcycling is not a cheap hobby. Enjoy life and do it right.

woodchuck
02-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I have found that the best trailer to use for hauling my Spyder or my HD sidecar is a 4 wheeled trailer. I built a very well made 2 wheel trailer with 15" wheels for my HD s/c and the there was no way to stop the swaying at speeds above 55 mph. I even installed shocks on it to no avail. The same was true with a U.S.built tubular trailer that was rated at one ton equiped with 13" wheels. So I had a four 15" wheel flat bed trailer made that I dapted for my use. Lots of over kill but talk about comfort and secuity. 15" tires are available at very low prices. No swaying at any speed.

Spyder tires cost a lot. If you are hauling your Spyder it is for two reasons. One is to take it to a CLOSE shop. The other is that you don't want to drive it for more than 2 hours, it's along haul, snow or rain, a thousand miles. Don't wear out your Spyder's tires. Motorcycling is not a cheap hobby. Enjoy life and do it right.

The reason that the home made trailer was swaying was because it was not made square. Welding a trailer takes a lot of preparation to make. I have made many trailers for snowmobiles and bikes of all kind.

NancysToy
02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
The most common reason for trailer swaying, is inadequate tongue weight. Tongue weight should be at least 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight.

boborgera
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
The most common reason for trailer swaying, is inadequate tongue weight. Tongue weight should be at least 10-15% of the loaded trailer weight.

I agree back in the early 70's i was towing a snowmobile on the first trailer i ever towed with.
I loaded it too far back on the trailer and almost lost the trailer/snowmobile going down a hill at 55/60 mph, The truck started to sway also, had to drive at under35 mph to get home in one piece.

COOLMACHINE
02-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Saw this on another post a few days ago and saved the pics. 5 x 8 trailer with some wood planks. I like it and not too expensive. $2-300 bucks on craigslist.

pjp623
02-03-2011, 08:34 AM
will one person says it dureable and the others think its crazy,and im not sure,so if any body else know ,let me know.still looking for the way that will be the least money to buy.ive found some of these used for 350 dollars so thats not bad,but i dont want to hurt my mr blue.:chat::spyder:

Shop around and you should be able to find a good used landscape trailer in that price range. Personally, given what I paid for my Spyder and how attached to it, I went for a fully enclosed lite weight trailer for mine.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=10710&albumid=923&dl=1278547104&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=923&pictureid=10710)

StormSpyder
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
As I have said before enclosed is the way to go. Gives you room for your gear and keeps our bic clean and secure. An enclosed trailer is probably not much hard to pull than a car dolly.

Dave Mc

IWN2RYD
02-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Like most here... The Spyders cost to much to not tow correctly. Look long enough and the right trailer for the right price will be found.

We purchased one of these Snake River Trailers last year and are very happy with it. We bought this type for not only the Spyder transportation, but also yard work, Firewood and etc... I did have to make some ramps... Just bought some lumber and cut them to size... Works great!

http://www.snakerivertrailers.com/ez%20hauler%20brochure.jpg

Campverdefela
02-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Correct tire pressure can also make a difference in both the towing vehicle and trailer.

NancysToy
02-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Correct tire pressure can also make a difference in both the towing vehicle and trailer.
:agree:

IWN2RYD
02-03-2011, 07:59 PM

:agree:

And weight distribution (Not just the tongue) can wreak havoc in many situations and be a huge contributor to swaying... and slowing down seems to make it worse :yikes:... Not that I have ever had that issue while towing my prize Rock Crawling $40k Jeep on the back on our way to the "Badlands (http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/)" in northern Indiana... or anything :dontknow: :ohyea::roflblack:

Eraser
02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Here's mine,either of the bikes fits with windshield down.I've got ramps and a winch,the whole enchilada when needed.About $5000.00.Can.:thumbup:

jcgirouard
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
NO towing for my the spyder fit in the pick up ,very just.....10366 I am go to Florida in March....:2thumbs: