PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for BRP on the RS model on the 2012's...

IWN2RYD
01-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I may be off my rocker. But I would like to suggest a few changes to the RS models, or at least the RS-S model...

An axillary 12v fuse panel under the front cover (Right under the Headlights and Frunk lid). This way we can tap in without causing VSS or what have you issues. Even if they will only have 15amps per fuse max (Corrected)... At least we can plug in our aftermarket toys/jackets/gloves/etc.
A bit larger or redesigned E-Brake pedal. I literally have to stand up on the bike to engage the E-Brake. I have size 12 boots, and gear on (Winter time) and I fumble around or cannot get enough boot on it to engage/disengage it effectively and consistently in the seated position.
The top most Tupperware that goes from the seat to underneath the handlebars... either has to much flexibility or something else does. Because I am consistently having to work the tabs in the center top sides off my beautiful paint job, and back behind the two side panels where it belongs... I cannot get but 20 miles down the road and the tabs (One on each side) have worked their way back to the outside and on my paint :gaah:.
Color LCD screen and selectable option of what I want to have on it (oil/voltage/miles/trip/etc... I mean... Do I need to go any father on this one? Really?
Shocks need a bit of re-valving or the Anti-Sway bar needs to be stronger. I love the comfortable straight-line bump absorbing setup, but hate the "Rolling" in turns of any distance. Then once we crank up the spring rate... the straight-line comfort goes away. This bike is a lot more fun when it "feels" like it is cutting into a turn than it does feeling like it wants to roll out of it. Yes countless aftermarket items are available. I am just saying it would be a good idea to look into it like you did the RT. In fact... Just put the 2010 RT shocks under the RS-S's and we can call it good :clap::yes::bowdown:.

And now for some off the wall thoughts with no merit, just like to see...

The Nose design is long on the tooth... Time for a change.
HID's should be standard...
More handlebar position options that include mounting points for toys.
RS-S should include Frunk liner, Radio, and Hand Warmers like the RT-S does.
New sexy colors like you have the past two years are fantastic :2thumbs:... How about Candy Apple Red, or Black Cherry, or even Gold flaked Metallic Brown? :firstplace:

Anyway.. just wanted to get that out of my head as it has been bouncing around for a while now... :roflblack:

dlycan2
01-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Those are all great suggestions!!!:yes:

ThreeFeet
01-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Better catch your head before it bounces away with the rest of you.:roflblack::roflblack: Good Ideas another one could be if they could get a CUP holder on it!!!Especially on the RT's!!!!:sour::D

SpyderWolf
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Those are some very good suggestions, and some that they could remedy very easily.

My request is a little out there, but I would like them to make a high performance X version of the Spyder, like they have made for all their other product lines. :thumbup:

NancysToy
01-29-2011, 01:37 PM
:thumbup: I like the aux fuse panel idea...but 3 amps is way too little for the gear you mentioned. The lowest heated gear takes 5 amps, and some combinations take as much as 15-20 amps. While we're at it, install the RT magneto to raise the charging system amperage. Powerlets pre-installed in the dash would be ideal.

:thumbup: Nancy's RS has the same problem with the Tupperware...mostly on one side. This could use a little improvement.

:thumbup: Some simple bosses on the handlebar cover would provide for a couple of RAM mount attachment points.

:thumbup: Standard HIDs would be great, but they would undoubtedly raise the price. Maybe just on the RS-S?

My additions:

1. A real package rack, with places to attach bungees, ala most sport touring bikes.

2. Remotely adjustable rear shock preload...preferably hydraulic.

3. LED rear taillights/brakelights.

4. Change the rear reflector/license light to a fully functional third taillight/brakelight. Legal under current laws?

5. Certify it for trailer use, with a trailer hitch/wiring harness available for this model.

6. Add the front fenders and front wheel design from the hybrid Spyder concept vehicle.

Bullet24
01-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Those are some very good suggestions, and some that they could remedy very easily.

My request is a little out there, but I would like them to make a high performance X version of the Spyder, like they have made for all their other product lines. :thumbup:

:agree: 100%. Would love to see it!

Firefly
01-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Some good ideas, but many of which were implemented into the RT---- so I'm not thinking many will happen to the RS line.

Blue Star
01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't want any of those changes made. I just bought mine, and can't afford to buy another one yet :roflblack::roflblack:

IWN2RYD
01-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Some good ideas, but many of which were implemented into the RT---- so I'm not thinking many will happen to the RS line.

Agreed to a certain degree, and they improved on the RT as well this time around... Frankly I think these are pretty good ideas for vehicle that has been sold the same way for four model years now. For example... Many items in my F150 have never been in a truck before 2005-2008 from any manufacturer. Yet today I can conduct business from my truck as if I was at my business location, and take the wife to a fancy restaurant afterwords. :shemademe_smilie:

That and we loooove the RT for the touring it can do, but fell in lust with the sportiness of the RS-S.

Therefore in my eyes I see these low ish cost pirks could be on the RS-S.

Notice I did not mention a rear air suspension system? My thinking here was more on further improving on a fantastic machine for those that would be willing to pay for it but still want the lower cost option the RS offers.

I mean heck... I paid an extra $2k for the paint color and blacked out parts :ohyea::shemademe_smilie::thumbup:. Why not pay another $500-$1000 for all of these to be on the next gen?

Campverdefela
01-29-2011, 05:32 PM
I agree with most of the suggestions mentioned especially a better handlebar option, something like the Kewlmetal risers I've installed. I would like to see more comfortable foot pegs placed much lower. Its all about more comfort and who is buying....mostly 40 years and up...

Henning
01-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Why not buy an RT, and your got it??:dontknow:

pierrelogic
01-29-2011, 07:24 PM

See this is one result of bringing up some well identified options to add into the RS line already available in other models. I go with Spyderwolf. More horsepower in the RS and you can keep all the other toys. I'd be happy to add 'em as I need 'em myself.

IWN2RYD
01-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Because I am not one sided maybe? Or because I owned one already and enjoy the sportier ryde of the RS but like the idea of a few of these for the RS?

Or maybe just maybe... Because these are my thoughts and I just felt like telling others.

I think a few of you are missing the intent behind my thoughts. These ideas make the RS a bit better as it gets long on the tooth. Just like any other vehicle does.

These are my thoughts. No one said you had to like it and I sure as heck never asked if I should get an RT instead of an RS in this thread.

From the looks of it you put quite a few options on your RS that are stock on an RT... Why not just get an RT yourself?... I bet you have your reasons. Why can I not have mine?

And lets be honest here... Why spend $10,000 dollars more for an RT when for a few thousand more we can make the sportier RS even better for those not looking for a touring bike like the RT?

Man oh man... can't a fella have an opinion on what could make a great ryde even better? :opps:

NancysToy
01-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Because I am not one sided maybe? Or because I owned one already and enjoy the sportier ryde of the RS but like the idea of a few of these for the RS?

Or maybe just maybe... Because these are my thoughts and I just felt like telling others.

I think a few of you are missing the intent behind my thoughts. These ideas make the RS a bit better as it gets long on the tooth. Just like any other vehicle does.

These are my thoughts. No one said you had to like it and I sure as heck never asked if I should get an RT instead of an RS in this thread.

From the looks of it you put quite a few options on your RS that are stock on an RT... Why not just get an RT yourself?... I bet you have your reasons. Why can I not have mine?

And lets be honest here... Why spend $10,000 dollars more for an RT when for a few thousand more we can make the sportier RS even better for those not looking for a touring bike like the RT?

Man oh man... can't a fella have an opinion on what could make a great ryde even better? :opps:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
In the first place, only one of IWN2RYD's suggestions, and two of mine, are included on the RT. Buy that model and you still could be left searching for change. Improvement over time is what keeps a product alive. Innovation is what created the Spyder in the first place. BRP has been very good about looking to owners for suggested improvemnets...and incorporating some of them. Getting these ideas out in the open is a good thing. Doing so will not kill the breed, but it may improve it over time.

obiwanbill
01-29-2011, 08:15 PM
a hand brake on right handle bar. radio/cd/mp3 jack.

I've tried several low cost options for the music (can't afford one of thiose $600 rigs) and they burn up or suck too much power.

Campverdefela
01-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Because I like the sportier look and response...

dlycan2
01-30-2011, 08:36 AM
:agree::2thumbs:

Henning
01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Sorry that I provoked you. Take it easy :D.

Lunar Rover
01-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Just put the 2010 RT shocks under the RS-S's and we can call it good :clap::yes::bowdown:.

My wife and I both have RT shocks on our RS's and yes, it does make a difference.

Geoff.

IWN2RYD
01-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Sorry that I provoked you. Take it easy :D.
:roflblack::coffee:

Not at all. Your thoughts are just as warranted. Keep them coming. Being one sided is for Government employees not Spyder Ryders :D:spyder2::2thumbs:

bone crusher
01-30-2011, 08:43 PM
My wife and I both have RT shocks on our RS's and yes, it does make a difference.

Geoff.

+1...huge difference!

Bullet24
01-30-2011, 09:25 PM
See this is one result of bringing up some well identified options to add into the RS line already available in other models. I go with Spyderwolf. More horsepower in the RS and you can keep all the other toys. I'd be happy to add 'em as I need 'em myself.

:agree: I will add the little "extras" that I will actually use and want. Having a more performance platform to start with is an excellent idea. Especially because thats kind of what they are going for in the first place with the RS, IMHO. Better suspension, a little more HP, and a 6th gear would have me trading in my 08...

bone crusher
01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
:agree: I will add the little "extras" that I will actually use and want. Having a more performance platform to start with is an excellent idea. Especially because thats kind of what they are going for in the first place with the RS, IMHO. Better suspension, a little more HP, and a 6th gear would have me trading in my 08...

More horsepower...well, there can never be enough...

However, if your fast accelerations around a turn defeat your VSS, that addition will end up here on the forums with people complaining about them...

The Spyder was never intended to race with sports bikes...it was intended to be a fun sport/crusier bike with a lot more safety involved. Every time I hear of someone dropping their bike, I am grateful I have a Spyder because that cannot happen...however, with more HP comes more danger and if people start zipping around corners too fast, they'll be flying off the road, and this would more than equate to 'dropping the bike'. To me, it's safety first...we can still have tons of fun on our bikes. Traction becomes a bigger issue with more speed around turns...yikes!

I'd start with more comfort (also never enough), standard risers, better 'emergency' brake positioning/function, more stable and functional rear-view mirrors...better belt to reduce vibrations and MORE lights from the get-go.

Heck, BRP could hire ESI to equip all new bikes with HIDs and side lighting, for starters...would be a nice way to go for safety/visibility, and is a much better option than the over-priced BRP HIDs!!

Dochands
01-31-2011, 10:07 AM
More horsepower and all the other good toys that should go with it. Better display. Better brakes. Better suspension.

I would like rearview cameras instead of shaky mirrors.

I don't want to make the RS fat. I want it a lean mean machine.

The RT is the the fat touring bike which is not to say it is not awesome. However, I see it as the Goldwing.

I want the Ducatti. :clap:

Campverdefela
01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Like any other manufacturer of motorized vehicles, BRP will probably look at these suggestions and consider what improvements they will make in future models, the ones that most people want might become a reality some day. Keep em coming....

SpyderWolf
01-31-2011, 09:41 PM
More horsepower and all the other good toys that should go with it. Better display. Better brakes. Better suspension.

I would like rearview cameras instead of shaky mirrors.

I don't want to make the RS fat. I want it a lean mean machine.

The RT is the the fat touring bike which is not to say it is not awesome. However, I see it as the Goldwing.

I want the Ducatti. :clap:

Very well stated. :2thumbs:

Arthur---Mexico
02-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I used to make jigs and mountings for Ford here in Mexcico. They were for coming models like 5 years in the future. I'm pretty sure that the makers of the Can Am products have a similar lead time. Since there are many interchangable parts in their different year models their lead time might be 3 or 4 years. Don't ever get the idea that because someone, today, expresses the need of certain logical improvements that you would like to see on next year's model. There are too many dies and molds that have to be made plus the engineering. It's a slow and costly process to make a change or new model of anything. It's not like adding one more tooth to the rear sprocket and even that, just a simple thing, requires engineering, molds, and mabe even a new belt. So all we can do is help each other. I make a very effective attachment for easy hand application of the parking brake. But for Can Am to incorporate this item in future Spyders would take them two years. Arthur---Mexcio City, xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx

Bullet24
02-01-2011, 03:03 AM
More horsepower...well, there can never be enough...

However, if your fast accelerations around a turn defeat your VSS, that addition will end up here on the forums with people complaining about them...

The Spyder was never intended to race with sports bikes...it was intended to be a fun sport/crusier bike with a lot more safety involved. Every time I hear of someone dropping their bike, I am grateful I have a Spyder because that cannot happen...however, with more HP comes more danger and if people start zipping around corners too fast, they'll be flying off the road, and this would more than equate to 'dropping the bike'. To me, it's safety first...we can still have tons of fun on our bikes. Traction becomes a bigger issue with more speed around turns...yikes!

I'd start with more comfort (also never enough), standard risers, better 'emergency' brake positioning/function, more stable and functional rear-view mirrors...better belt to reduce vibrations and MORE lights from the get-go.

Heck, BRP could hire ESI to equip all new bikes with HIDs and side lighting, for starters...would be a nice way to go for safety/visibility, and is a much better option than the over-priced BRP HIDs!!

I hear you on that, but maybe they could work on the roll factor a little. Maybe implamenting pivoting wheels like on the piaggio mp3 or the dodge tomahawk. Now that would be cool! Give us corning like nobodys business! :thumbup:

IWN2RYD
06-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I wonder if BRP has seen this thread yet? :roflblack::2thumbs:

WackyDan
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I wonder if BRP has seen this thread yet? :roflblack::2thumbs:

They've heard it all before.

I like the no nonsense design of the RS over the RT... I'm perfectly happy to mod it to get it where I want it to be. Pretty much everyone's "want's" in regard to the RS can be done via the aftermarket.... a lot of suggestions will indeed force you to the RT.

I'll partly repeat what I said in another similar thread...

If they are not launching a new design of the RS this year or next, then I'm all for refinement of the existing product. Some factory mods that make sense, etc... But I honestly don't see a new model on the horizon.

The only thing that will make me replace my 08 is a new model design with more power.... and I'll bolt everything else I need on. Let's keep the RS rooted to sporty, simple, and by that nature, affordable.

Bob Denman
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Spyder RS-X :2thumbs: Kind of brings a whole new meaning to :spyder2:
You guys have brought forth some really good suggestions... :thumbup:

SpydherLuv
06-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Turn signal indicators that actually indicate left or right.

Beefier horn.

Heated grips.

Access to the gas tank without having to lift the seat.

A 6th gear.

HID lights standard equipment.

arntufun
06-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Do not change anything until these dealers get there service departments more training, parts on there shelfs and turn around times alot faster. Just my 2 cents. :thumbup:

spydee owner
06-09-2011, 06:19 AM
They've heard it all before.

I like the no nonsense design of the RS over the RT... I'm perfectly happy to mod it to get it where I want it to be. Pretty much everyone's "want's" in regard to the RS can be done via the aftermarket.... a lot of suggestions will indeed force you to the RT.

I'll partly repeat what I said in another similar thread...

If they are not launching a new design of the RS this year or next, then I'm all for refinement of the existing product. Some factory mods that make sense, etc... But I honestly don't see a new model on the horizon.

The only thing that will make me replace my 08 is a new model design with more power.... and I'll bolt everything else I need on. Let's keep the RS rooted to sporty, simple, and by that nature, affordable.
Totally agree.

Minister
06-09-2011, 06:47 AM

Here,Here!!! :2thumbs::2thumbs:

3Willie
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
I have to say the list of requested options has been pretty thorough. The hand brake, floorboards, electric outlets are ones that seem pretty popular.

How about redesigning the heat on the feet issue and exhaust to be more comfortable. Better MPG would seem to be something to accomplish as long as there is a wish list.

Raptor
06-09-2011, 10:53 AM
The design is getting pretty stale. They do need to refine it a bit and give it a fresher look. Updated lighting along the LED line would be a good thing as well, especially for the back.

For me it's pretty simple, though; more power and mid-range torque, an adjustable Nanny that has a "performance" or "Sport" handling profile, re-vamped suspension and a more reliable driveline. I sure wouldn't frown upon having a sixth gear either!

SpyderWolf
06-14-2011, 07:40 PM
The design is getting pretty stale. They do need to refine it a bit and give it a fresher look. Updated lighting along the LED line would be a good thing as well, especially for the back.

For me it's pretty simple, though; more power and mid-range torque, an adjustable Nanny that has a "performance" or "Sport" handling profile, re-vamped suspension and a more reliable driveline. I sure wouldn't frown upon having a sixth gear either!

Perhaps they would let me help with the placement of the LED designs. :D The selectable Nanny would be great as well. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-14-2011, 08:01 PM
All great ideas. I do think it is time for some changes in 2012--the design is getting old in the tooth.