PDA

View Full Version : rear shock bolt

brutus450
01-27-2011, 06:55 PM
anyone know if there is a replacement bolt and nut for the rear shock that wont corrode? I looked but cant find anything on it.

stainless steel would be nice. I know they make covers to hide them but I rather cure the disease than putting a band aid on it.

anyone know?

ataDude
01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
anyone know if there is a replacement bolt and nut for the rear shock that wont corrode? I looked but cant find anything on it.

stainless steel would be nice. I know they make covers to hide them but I rather cure the disease than putting a band aid on it.

anyone know?

I personally would stick with at least a Grade 8 minimum for that application. And, that rules out stainless.

groundeffect
01-27-2011, 07:51 PM

anyone know?

Why has it corroded, winter road salt or something?

Cheers.

NancysToy
01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
I personally would stick with at least a Grade 8 minimum for that application. And, that rules out stainless.

:agree: Also, if it is a shouldered bolt or is not threaded the full length, it would need to be replaced with the same type of bolt. If you are having a corrosion problem, I would recommend:

1. Cleaning frequently...and dry it if you can.

2. Put a little silicone grease or WD-40 on the exposed parts to repel water.

3. Buy a replacement bolt, mask against overspray, then put a light coat of clear lacquer on the exposed parts.

pop49
01-28-2011, 01:01 AM
hairspray also makes a good sealer against rusting.........:thumbup:
nickle plate grade 8 high tensile bolt is the way to go.

BajaRon
01-28-2011, 02:38 AM
A new Spyder would come with a new bolt already installed! :roflblack: