PDA

View Full Version : TPG Rainier Jacket and Escape Pants

Dochands
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
My new gear. Tried them last night in about 40 degree weather and was toasty warm. This is the first gear I have owned that does not seem to 'leak' air anywhere. After a bit I could feel the cold on my arms as the material itself got cold at speed but not the least uncomfortable.

This is their new line with d3o molecular armor which is an odd feeling at first. Armor that is the strongest in the world that you barely feel. I had to inspect the pants after I tried them on to make sure the hip armor was in there!

Loads of completely waterproof pockets and supposedly the Hypertex Plus is completely waterproof but breathable. No desire to test this but I know I will eventually. lol

Another interesting feature are the liners. They are fully pocketed and the jacket even has vents in the same places as the outer jacket. And they are standalone garments. The inner jacket is actually quite stylish. The pants would look a bit odd worn out but it is a nice idea.

Unfortunately its warming here for a bit so I won't get a real cold test for another week. I have a battery operated vest to try for my next stage of warmth. The jacket has a pass through port for heated liners and such should I decide to get some wired pants.

All in all I can't imagine a feature missed. Less than Rev'it by about half. But still expensive.

I did have to exchange for size. The jacket I wound up with is an XL. I am 5'9" and about 185. I would love to claim I am vigorously muscles but the truth is they just fit small. Same for the pants. A normal overpant would be a 36 on the large size and I wound up with a 38 short. My joke to the seller was I am so proud of my buff chest and am ignoring my waist now. lol

I hope this is my last gear for a long time. With all the venting and removable liners I am hoping it will be completely 4 season. :thumbup:

Hope you all get to see it in Missouri!

bruiser
01-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Sounds very interesting. Let us know how it works out.

BajaRon
01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
I am glad to hear that you like the new TPG Rainier jacket. I know Firstgear has put a lot of effort in this newest version but I have not yet had any customer feedback on these.

If anyone would like anything from Firstgear I can usually get it for a good price.

My price on the TPG Rainier jacket, delivered to the 48 US States, is $389. I can ship these worldwide as well. Shipping cost depends on where you are in the world.

The Escape pants are $259 delivered.

There are still some of the discontinued models of both the Tpg jacket and Escape pants out there. Be careful if you want to get this new version as the differences are pretty substantial.

Dochands
01-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Those are great prices Ron.

Drove an hour at 75 mph and 45 degrees. No problem. Have UA tights and a shirt on. And a neck warmer. Might try an electric vest on the way home.

Extremely comfortable gear. The lack of weight is so odd. I am used to feeling like a little bear. Lol

BajaRon
01-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Those are great prices Ron.

Drove an hour at 75 mph and 45 degrees. No problem. Have UA tights and a shirt on. And a neck warmer. Might try an electric vest on the way home.

Extremely comfortable gear. The lack of weight is so odd. I am used to feeling like a little bear. Lol

They have made some real improvement in materials and weight. Used to be you had to have heavy to get protection and warmth. The electric gear is good stuff too.