PDA

View Full Version : kewlmetal adjustable riser installation

canner
01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
has anyone ever installed the kewlmetal adjustable risers on a sport can am spyder. If so, how long did it take and do you like them?:2excited:

Campverdefela
01-25-2011, 11:58 AM
has anyone ever installed the kewlmetal adjustable risers on a sport can am spyder. If so, how long did it take and do you like them?:2excited:
Here's my thread, hope it helps..http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20828&highlight=campverdefela

tofriendscreek
01-25-2011, 01:11 PM
My Spyder had the BRP 1" riser on it when I bought it. But, it wasn't nearly enough rise to keep my hands from going numb. After considering all of the products I went with KewlMetal adjustables. It was a FANTASTIC solution and I totally LOVE them. I did the install myself. I wasn't on the clock so I wasn's in a hurry, etc., and it took me a total of 5 or so hours.

I will say that I had challenges with the installation. I quickly realized that I was going to have cable length issues. Getting to the cable ties after I finallly found them was a struggle. To get to them, I had to remove the everything above where the headlights are, the right side panel, the Y shaped piece in front of the seat, etc.. Even after cutting the ties, I couldn't get enough slack to install the KM risers where I wanted/needed them. I moved the both the right and left cable bundles to to the outside of of the trunk and seat release cables. Still not enough so I realigned them as the bundles traveled through the closed channel right in front of the steering column. I still didn't have not enough cable slack to install them according to the KM directions and not pull the cables out of their connections boxes when turning full left. My saving grace was that I have an SE, and I was able to switch or reverse how the riser blocks are attached to the handlebars. By doing all of this I was able to gain enough slack and get the risers right where I wanted. I got was able to get all 4" of rise, rotate the handlebars in closer to my body, pull them 3" back toward me, and have full right and left steering movement while not stretching or stressing the cables. There were times when I said a few choice words, but the time spent and end result was without hesitation worth it.

The directions are great, but I had the shop manual made things clearer for me. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd be happy to answer any questions relating to my experience installing these FANTASTIC risers.

Campverdefela
01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
I too had to remove the upper panel but just the top half where the instrument cluster is. I also have the 1" riser but I didn't have to move the harness around just have to undo the 2 plastic ties on the cables that go down deep on the right hand side of the cluster along the trunk, the bottom one is especially hard to reach. Once you locate them push a screwdrive in-between the harness and tie and use a xacto knife to cut thru the tie.

tofriendscreek
01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
I just took the top part off also. If the Y shaped panel is removed (2 bolts, 1 either side & 2 "push pins" right under the seat) that deep tie can be clipped easily from the right side.