PDA

View Full Version : Battery-Powered Heated Vest/Jacket

Brevet05
01-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Yesterday's paper had a red LiON battery powered jacket from Milwaukee Power Tools at Home Depot online for sale for $170. I hadn't given much thought to this category of clothing, but my wife thought it sounded like a good idea, since she's not got the toasty handgrip heaters/muff combo to keep her blood at a nice temperature.

I was doing a little research and found that Ansai Mobile Warming and Gerbings both had a comparable product, but at the end of the Gerbings specs it said "Not designed to be used on motorcycles".:hun: Any idea why this is the case? Would I be recklessly endangering my wife, or is this lawyerese or marketerese for "we have a version that we put a lot of research money into specifically for the motorcycle folks".

I know that the machine is capable of generating sufficient electricity to use a tethered heating system, but having one that keeps going off the bike sounds nice. Thanks!

qasamm
01-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I suspect it is due to the lion battery pack which could burst and cause serious burns in a wreck. Strapped to your body, probably a valid concern but screams of- the lawyers made us say it.

bone crusher
01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
I suspect it is due to the lion battery pack which could burst and cause serious burns in a wreck. Strapped to your body, probably a valid concern but screams of- the lawyers made us say it.

+1...battery acid bad.

6 degrees this morning...brrrrr...my bike is in the garage for the winter, no question about it! Love all the salt on the Columbia roads??

boborgera
01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
For the same price you can get a First gear electric jacket that wires to the Spyders battery, plus it's for motorcycle use. and no battery packs to dig into you in a fall off.
I've been using one for years[first gear] . I did a 160 mile ride last week 5/10 degrees no problem.

dancogan
01-25-2011, 08:16 AM
I have the Gerbings electric battery powered gloves. They work very well to keep your hands warm, but they are largely nylon construction which would not provide a lot of protection sliding down the road.

boborgera
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I have the Gerbings electric battery powered gloves. They work very well to keep your hands warm, but they are largely nylon construction which would not provide a lot of protection sliding down the road.

Crazy as it sounds. You want clothing that slide. Any thing that gripes in a fall off will cause you to tumble causing more damage to body parts.
That said' the odds of falling off a Spyder unlike a two wheeler are rare:pray:

sabunim5
01-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Here is a link to a review of a battery heated vest with some links to reviews of others. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-vest/battery-heated-vest/ There are others out there too. A web search will get you a couple of other options. I have looked into this in the past and there are a couple of outdoor clothing manufacturers that make them for hunters, skiers, etc. Good Luck in finding what is right for you. :thumbup:

mooneych
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
My GF gave me a Tourmaster electric liner for Christmas. I have to say it works very, very well.:2thumbs:

+1...battery acid bad.

6 degrees this morning...brrrrr...my bike is in the garage for the winter, no question about it! Love all the salt on the Columbia roads??

draboo
01-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I bought the Gerbing model that is not recommended for motorcycles. What I like about it is that you can use it for other activities,not just riding. The battery pack is smaller than a pack of smokes.

Paula(Butch2025)
01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
I also see that jacket Ilooked her over for along time and ended up with a aerostich kanetsu and love it -19 and still had to turn it off on the way to work

dancogan
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Crazy as it sounds. You want clothing that slide. Any thing that gripes in a fall off will cause you to tumble causing more damage to body parts.
That said' the odds of falling off a Spyder unlike a two wheeler are rare:pray:

I agree. You do want clothing that will slide. But while you're sliding you don't want it to quickly abrade to the point it won't protect your skin.

About falling off a Spyder - I agree that would be a rare occurrence. But getting knocked off by a cage - that's what we sometimes can't avoid.

NancysToy
01-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I agree. You do want clothing that will slide. But while you're sliding you don't want it to quickly abrade to the point it won't protect your skin.

About falling off a Spyder - I agree that would be a rare occurrence. But getting knocked off by a cage - that's what we sometimes can't avoid.
I'll take that one step further...you also do not want clothing that will melt from the friction, adding deep burns to the road rash. Cordura and other specialty fabrics are not only made to be durable, but not to melt readily from friction.