PDA

View Full Version : PSS- Parked Spyder Syndrome

Lamonster
01-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Many of you know all about PMS- Parked Motorcycle Syndrome but the term really doesn't correctly apply to the Spyder seeing it's not a motorcycle but the symptoms are much the same and the root cause is the same (bad weather). I guess the correct label for us would be PSS- Parked Spyder Syndrome

Here are a few things to watch for if you think yo may be suffering from PMS/PSS.

You find yourself watching the Weather Channel hourly looking for a break in the rain or snow so you can get a ride in. Just like last year and the year before that, this is the longest winter ever.
You have convinced yourself that 20 degrees is really not that cold if you gear up.
You search the internet for cold riding gear even though you can't get out of your driveway because of the snow and ice.
You find yourself walking around in a t-shirt when it's 30 degrees out just to condition yourself for a ride if you do get out of your driveway.
You feel you are stuck in a prison and if you don't get a ride in soon you can not be held responsible for your actions.
You live vicariously through members who post about their rides on the West Coast and in Florida. You tend to love and hate them at the same time.

This is pretty much how I've been for weeks on end. We've never had this much snow on the ground for this long in East TN and coming from San Diego it's a real test for me. I've been able to deal with the winters for the last 8 years here but this has been bad seeing I have not been able to ride at all for weeks.

Yesterday was my chance to make a break for it. My driveway was clear and the sun was out. It was only 31 degrees but at least it wasn't snowing or raining. That's all going to start back up on Monday so it was now or never.

I got a new jacket from BRP about a month ago that I wanted to try out but like I said I couldn't leave the house on the Spyder, this was my chance to try it out.

This is their Kavalier Series jacket and like they say "The only place where you'll find more technology is on the Roadster itself".

Here's what they say about it.

100% waterproof
100% windproof
100% breathable
Resilient membrane
300% stretchable
Most durable of all membranes

I bet I have at least $3000.00+ invested in just jackets looking for the one that will do it all. This just may be that jacket. It's not as heavy as I thought it would be and it did do a great job at keeping the wind out. It wasn't raining thank goodness so I can't report on that but it looks like it's going to keep me dry. I need to put some more miles on in different weather conditions to give a full report but so far I like it.

Unfortunately my trailer for the RT has been sitting out and was covered in bird droppings and needed to be washed off. My hose has been frozen so I couldn't even squirt it off so I hooked it up to the RT and headed for the car wash to give it a good blast.

When I pulled out of the driveway I felt like I had low front tires. I checked them both and they were right at 20 lbs and that's where I like to run them. By time I got out of my driveway they felt fine. The only thing I can think of was my steering box was real cold seeing we haven't had too many days above freezing. As soon as I got out of the driveway and on to the road I hit a patch of black ice as I was shifting and the rpm's reved out. That was my warning of things to come.

The ride to the car wash wasn't that bad. It was 37 degrees and felt great with the sun out. I couldn't believe how packed out the car wash was when I got there. I had to wait my turn and the spray off of the hoses was getting me wet and on a warm day that would have been fine but I really didn't want to get wet when it was in the 30's.

So I blasted the RT and trailer and wiped down my seat and headed out toward Hot Springs NC. The roads were clear but full of salt and I could see it sticking to all the parts that still had water on it. I knew I was going to have to go back to the car wash when this ride was over. The ride over the mountain got down to 28 degrees in a few spots but I still felt pretty warm. I had light gloves on and it was the first time I ran with the heated grips on high for the first 20 miles or so. They did get too hot at one point but it was nice to have the option of being too hot when it's that cold.

I wound up going through Hot Springs and taking the 209 to Maggie Valley where the owners meet will be this year. It's a great ride and I'm looking forward to riding it again when there's no salt or ice. There was plenty of gravel on the roads too but even if I did slide a little I was never really out of control. My main issue was other folks driving in my lane going the other way. I can't tell you how many times I was over to the right as far as I could go to keep from hitting these guys. That's why it's good practice to stay in your lane because if the other guy crosses over your chances of getting over in time are greatly reduced.

I made it to the exit for Maggie Valley but I started to get a pretty bad headache so I decided to just motor on back on the highway and get to the car wash so I could blast all the salt off. By time I got there I was getting a chill and even though I got a good ride in I was ready for a warm shower. I didn't stop to get any pictures but I did get one when I was at the car wash. You know it's cold when the spray if freezing in the stall.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=13363

For now my PSS is at bay but I still can't wait for the riding season to get here. Spyderfest, the Owners event in Maggie Valley and maybe the Guts and Glory ride are all on my bucket list for this year. It sure feels good to get out and ride even if it was only 130 miles or so. :thumbup:

GloryRyders
01-23-2011, 12:38 PM
:2thumbs: I envy you.............still way to much of the "white stuff" around here and it's comming down again.:gaah:

SpyderWolf
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
:2thumbs:

Glad to hear you were able to squeeze a ryde in, and hope the PSS doesn't set in too hard with the upcoming round of snow for you.

NancysToy
01-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Sigh!!!

I guess it's pretty bad when you have to live vicariously through the reports of riders in Eastern Tennessee. :D I'd trade for your icicles in the car wash, gladly! Minus eight here this morning, and more snow from yesterday to shovel. PSS may be curable, but it sure feels like it takes an eternity. :joke:

Mo Lee
01-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Well, now that Dr Lamonster has correctly diagnosed my problem (PSS with a double dose of PMS) I sure hope I can find a cure before the end of the week.

docdoru
01-23-2011, 01:50 PM
:yikes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjwe-BCfms&feature=player_embedded :yikes:

Motavar
01-23-2011, 02:31 PM
coat:
Back in November when I picked up the Spyder I knew nothing about gear and took the advice of some kid at the dealership and picked up this Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 coat. He said If I'm going to ride in cold weather this coat should be fine for what you want to do. I'm like you sure dood, and he was like yeah, you don't need anything more than this. umm, k. Thinking to myself, "There is no way this textile coat will keep me warm but we'll see..". I have to say the kid was right. Since that day my upper body has never been cold when riding the Spyder even in 20F degree weather @ 80+ for about 1 hour.

gloves:
My hands have been another story though. :(
Even with oxford heated grips at 75% burning my hands my pinky and some finger tips were getting cold. Today I tried out a glove liner and it seemed to hep a bit but I have a feeling I may need wind blockers or heated liners. My finger tips still get a chill through winter cloves and the liners. :/

pants:
Below 30F my pants were getting cold with Jeans/fleece sweat pants so yesterday I picked up these Frank Thomas eclipse 2 overpants at CycleWorld (the only thing they had and at $99 I figured I'll try them out, worse case if they didn't work I'd get something else and keep them for spring or something) Did 80-106 today for about an hour non-stop today in 20F weather (I did have to brake once or twice down to 65mph for a trooper shooting radar and some people texting in my way) and my lower body was still toasty warm the whole trip. So they did the job. Still can't believe how cheap they were and they worked.

I think I would have been sad If I had a motorcycle because there would be no way I would be riding in the PA winters with all the rockets and slush on the roads. On the Spyder I feel very comfortable out there. People look at me like im crazy when I pass them on the highway .. prob thinking im freezing my balls off but I'm not. I'm happy as a steamed clam!

now.. if I can only solve the fog issue on my helmet

Motavar
01-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Do you guys have fogging issues with your helmets?
And what do you recommend for heated liners?

ARtraveler
01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
Take a look at Gerbings products for heated liners. They are available at most motorcycle gear sites.

TicketBait
01-23-2011, 02:59 PM
You live vicariously through members who post about their rides on the West Coast and in Florida. You tend to love and hate them at the same time.
This is pretty much how I've been for weeks on end. We've never had this much snow on the ground for this long in East TN and coming from San Diego it's a real test for me. I've been able to deal with the winters for the last 8 years here but this has been bad seeing I have not been able to ride at all for weeks.

Yesterday was my chance to make a break for it. My driveway was clear and the sun

For now my PSS is at bay but I still can't wait for the riding season to get here. Spyderfest, the Owners event in Maggie Valley and maybe the Guts and Glory ride are all on my bucket list for this year. It sure feels good to get out and ride even if it was only 130 miles or so. :thumbup:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyderaccessory021-1.jpg

I would have just had a tee shirt on, but I have a cold right now from watching all the news reports on the weather east of us.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyderaccessory029.jpg

Bob Denman
01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Now that almost borders on being mean; posting pictures liike that... :roflblack:
Minus eight here this morning and I accidently left the brass monkey outdoors :shocked:

bullant12
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I REFUSE to have PSS... NO NO NO NO NO!:lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smilie::lecturef_smi lie:

Sigh... this hurts! Just got the RT-622 trailer, and every weekend it either rains or it snows. We have a trip scheduled in Feburary to Orlando and because we are picking up my mother-in-law and aunt-in-law from the airport, Gray Recluse is staying at home :gaah::gaah::gaah: (is it legal to "ride" people in the RT-622 trailer? Someone called it the "Mother in Law Seat"...)

Then last night... :gaah:All cloudy but only 40 degrees... had a chance to take GR to a church meeting... never rained!!!:gaah::gaah:

I REFUSE TO HAVE PSS!!! It is not enough for me just to start GR and give it a move or two around the driveway... especially after installing the back speakers, kewlmetal's helmet locks and GPS bracket.:chill:

fispyder
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
That one thing about living in the SOUTH. We'll have cold weather but there always a few days every couple of weeks that the temps are in the upper 40's / 50's that you can ride the:spyder2: It's the rain that I hate:gaah:

Gordy
01-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Do you guys have fogging issues with your helmets?
And what do you recommend for heated liners?
www.heatedclothingoutlet.com (http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com)

somanyroads
01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Glad you got to ride Lamont! Way to go! It was -10 degrees in Maine today and there is over 3 feet of snow on the ground. PSS is really tough this time of year! :spyder2:

Take care Denny

dave01
01-24-2011, 06:14 PM
I know, I know...You dont want to hear it, but 74 degrees here today and had a great ryde on the RT with a t-shirt and jeans on.

Let the snowball wars begin....................

somanyroads
01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Dave 01

I'm jealous! LOL :2thumbs: That's where I want to be! :spyder2:

Dochands
01-25-2011, 11:01 AM
and since no one said it Lamont, that was a very amusing and well written post.

I think its time for a book dude. You got talent. :congrats:

pitbull
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, now that Dr Lamonster has correctly diagnosed my problem (PSS with a double dose of PMS) I sure hope I can find a cure before the end of the week.
53 on saturday.........do I need to hit the magic buttton mogang :D

tatt2r
01-25-2011, 11:15 AM
stuck in garage since last monday .... to cold for driveway to melt ......
:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Lamonster
01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
stuck in garage since last monday .... to cold for driveway to melt ......
:helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:
You know it's bad if you're not out riding. :shocked::bowdown:

Mo Lee
01-25-2011, 06:35 PM
53 on saturday.........do I need to hit the magic buttton mogang :D
I hear you Len, I put the PSS in remission today and I hope to do the same for the PMS before the week is out.

mainah
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Glad you got to ride Lamont! Way to go! It was -10 degrees in Maine today and there is over 3 feet of snow on the ground. PSS is really tough this time of year! :spyder2:

Take care Denny
I can 2nd that! I sure miss wheeling around and stopping for ice cream!!:gaah:

Lunar Rover
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I feel for you Lamont and I wish you good luck on the "road to recovery." :spyder:

teacherbob
01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
It's cold here. But,supposed to be in the 40's on friday. The roads are dry. I shoveled a strip just wide enough for my rear tire going up the incline of the driveway. My bike is nice and clean in the garage, It will probably get dirty out riding.
Who cares. I'm taken her out for a spin.:thumbup:

rogerb
01-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Snowed yesterday (just enough to cover road) -17 in the morning with sun late in the afternoon. Today heatwave, -2 and overcast. Threatening snow, roads wet but driveway white. Tonight snow (what their getting in NY City. Hope to go to Boston bike show this weekend (weather permitting). Help lift my spirits.:gaah:

2NFrnt
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
I hear you Len, I put the PSS in remission today and I hope to do the same for the PMS before the week is out.

Me too Lee, got so carried away I almost forgot to stop for gas! About 2 miles into the ride I was telling myself how much I miss this. Almost makes you want to move to a warmer climate.

Sam

Padre Spyder
01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
You all sure make me glad I have a 12 month riding season. All I need to decide is how long a ride I want to take today. Temp today 75 with expected mid 80's by Sunday.:yes::yes::yes:

Mo Lee
01-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Me too Lee, got so carried away I almost forgot to stop for gas! About 2 miles into the ride I was telling myself how much I miss this. Almost makes you want to move to a warmer climate.

Sam
0530 and 18 degrees. And the PMS is cured as well.

dave01
01-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Should be around 65-70 today. Time for a nice ryde to the local gun shops. Window shopping and drooling over new toys...LOL

IWN2RYD
01-27-2011, 10:14 AM
After reading all of this it is clear how blessed I am to live where I do that allows me to ryde 10 months out of the year (As long as I do not mind the rain that particular day).nojoke:thumbup:

ThreeFeet
01-29-2011, 01:22 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyderaccessory021-1.jpg

I would have just had a tee shirt on, but I have a cold right now from watching all the news reports on the weather east of us.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/Spyderaccessory029.jpg RUB IT IN!!!! RUB IT IN!!!!!:p:p

ThreeFeet
01-29-2011, 01:30 AM
coat:
Back in November when I picked up the Spyder I knew nothing about gear and took the advice of some kid at the dealership and picked up this Joe Rocket Ballistic 8.0 coat. He said If I'm going to ride in cold weather this coat should be fine for what you want to do. I'm like you sure dood, and he was like yeah, you don't need anything more than this. umm, k. Thinking to myself, "There is no way this textile coat will keep me warm but we'll see..". I have to say the kid was right. Since that day my upper body has never been cold when riding the Spyder even in 20F degree weather @ 80+ for about 1 hour.

gloves:
Even with oxford heated grips at 75% burning my hands my pinky and some finger tips were getting cold. Today I tried out a glove liner and it seemed to hep a bit but I have a feeling I may need wind blockers or heated liners. My finger tips still get a chill through winter cloves and the liners. :/

pants:
Below 30F my pants were getting cold with Jeans/fleece sweat pants so yesterday I picked up these Frank Thomas eclipse 2 overpants at CycleWorld (the only thing they had and at $99 I figured I'll try them out, worse case if they didn't work I'd get something else and keep them for spring or something) Did 80-106 today for about an hour non-stop today in 20F weather (I did have to brake once or twice down to 65mph for a trooper shooting radar and some people texting in my way) and my lower body was still toasty warm the whole trip. So they did the job. Still can't believe how cheap they were and they worked.

I think I would have been sad If I had a motorcycle because there would be no way I would be riding in the PA winters with all the rockets and slush on the roads. On the Spyder I feel very comfortable out there. People look at me like im crazy when I pass them on the highway .. prob thinking im freezing my balls off but I'm not. I'm happy as a steamed clam!

now.. if I can only solve the fog issue on my helmet I fixed the legs and butt problem by getting Snowmobile pants... and gloves. Altho it was only 17 deg here those two kept me Very comfortable. Fog is adjusted by lifting the visor a hair,or two. Heat off motor kept feet warm. Had a ski mask for head and it kept the wind from going up the back of my neck. Had a good ryde altho short on Thursday the 27th. The temp went up to 52 so started getting more than a little warm with all the gear on.

rogerb
01-29-2011, 11:35 AM
And we complain Picture from Russia.

ThreeFeet
01-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Gives a whole new meaning to being "snowed in" doesn't it?? Does anybody LIVE in that buried house? Now THAT'S DEEP!!!! Who said we were in a global "WARMING" problem should look at this!!!:joke:

rogerb
01-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Here is another picture. Do you think an American car would be able to hold this amount of weight?

CyncySpyder
01-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Well, for me personally, it doesn't matter what temp it is outside, I ryde :thumbup: The only thing that stops me is the roads be'n either Ice or snow covered. When it snows, I take the my 2001 Cougar ZN out on the roads. Be'n front wheel drive & a V6, she actually handles it pretty well :thumbup:

Well, I didnt realize it, but in the past 2 weeks, Ive only caged it 2 days to work. We got about an inch overnight on Thursday, so I thought I'd take the Cougar in to work just to be safe. Seems, since Ive been ryde'n the RT-S almost daily, & neglect'n the Cougar, she ended up with a DEAD BATTERY :yikes: not to meantion I believe the Alternator went out as well :opps: I had to have it towed yesterday to the repair shop, but hey, it just gave me another reason to ryde the :spyder: in to work :2thumbs: as the snow was only covering the ground & the roads had remained mostly clear :ohyea:

Oh, the suns out today, the roads are clear & with my 1stgear Ryde'n suit, well hey, I wish you all better weather, but I gotta get out & RYDE :ohyea:

Raptor
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
coat:

I have the same Jacket, and the thing is so warm that I have only been able to wear it a couple of times out here; the jacket is too warm! I'm tellin ya, man, this jacket rocks! Nothing penetrates it. Well done, Sir!

gloves:

Still searching for a good intermediate glove myself. I have MotoBoss Talons for cold, and they are great. But again, it doesn't get cold enough to use them much, and my Joe Rocket Sonics are not enough. The Power Trips are OK, but they are not gauntlets, and cold leaks through. I have found the Anti-Freeze glove liners to be a good option, but would still like to find a good intermediate glove.

pants:

After trying the Rocket Ballistic 7 pant I took them back and picked up First Gear HT Overpant II's. These things are incredible. Got 'em for $149 at Cyclegear. They fit great, come in "Tall" sizes, offer good protection and again, so far nothing has penetrated them.

All I can say to this is AMEN BROTHER! :2thumbs:

now.. if I can only solve the fog issue on my helmet

This is a problem for me as well. As good a helmet as my Shoei RF-1100 is, it fogs like a mug! My Scorp EXO-1000 is better but not by much. I have tried various anti-fog solutions but they only do so much. There is a member, Altonk, who picked up a fantastic helmet for Winter. I believe it's a BRP branded helmet for Snowmobiling (check the Ski-Doo site). It's pretty awsome, but way over-kill for me out here. However, you might find it very much to your liking.

Motavar
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a Shoei RF-1100 as well and love it.. but yeah the fog issue is killing me. I try not to breath when I'm riding, hahahaha. I'll prob pass out at 90mph, just my luck. hehe

I found that if I put my glove inserts on then put my gloves on and pull them a little bit away from my finger tips that provides enough of a buffer zone so the cold air doesnt freeze my fingers.

I went to brookstone the other day at the mall to try and pick up electric gloves but the kid was like "we only sell that in the catalog". sigh..

I NEED SPRING!@!!!! I CANT TAKE IT ANY MORE!

NancysToy
02-01-2011, 06:37 PM
You guys might want to try Fog City inserts for the shields of your helmets. They work quite well, and are reasonably priced.