PDA

View Full Version : Need hydraulic hand brake advice/info?

wheels4u
01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
JUST PURCHASED A 09 NEW SPYDER AND WILL HAVE TO START THE MODIFICATION PROCESS FOR "ENABLED" RIDING. HAVE READ WHAT "NEXUS" HAS DONE AND THAT LOOKS LIKE A GREAT WAY TO ADAPT THE BRAKING SYSTEM. I HAVE FOUND ALL THE PARTS AS HE HAS STATED, BUT IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADDITIONAL INFO OR SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ENLIGHTEN ME. I HAVE NOT BEEN ON A BIKE IN 35 YRS, BUT THIS LOOKS LIKE THE WAY TO GO. UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE FULL CONFIDIENCE IN MY ABILITIES AND THIS SHOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE.
THANKS FOR UR INPUT,
"WHEELS":2thumbs:

Big Arm
01-21-2011, 10:47 PM
welcome wheels4u and :congrats: on your new purchase.:2thumbs:

You may want to check out ISCI . they are a sponsor of this web site and their add can be found on the home page of Spyderlovers.com
Good luck

fastfraser
01-21-2011, 10:57 PM
You don't have to yell here. We are all listening !welcome :spyder2: ON.

wheels4u
01-22-2011, 08:50 AM
You don't have to yell here. We are all listening !welcome :spyder2: ON.
sorry for the caps

wheels4u
01-22-2011, 08:52 AM
welcome wheels4u and :congrats: on your new purchase.:2thumbs:

You may want to check out ISCI . they are a sponsor of this web site and their add can be found on the home page of Spyderlovers.com
Good luck
i looked into them, they seem very pricey for what you get. it seems if u have some basic knowledge, u can put together, like "nexus" has built to accomplish the same results.

JJW SpyderRider
01-22-2011, 09:00 AM
i looked into them, they seem very pricey for what you get. it seems if u have some basic knowledge, u can put together, like "nexus" has built to accomplish the same results.

welcome :congrats: on your new :spyder2:.

Please remember that the brakes are a “Mission critical component”. Don’t just go cheap here, go safe!

Bootie
01-22-2011, 09:14 AM
I installed the ISCI handbrake last year. It is the best-engineered add-on that I have seen IMHO.:2thumbs: Pricey but well worth it.

Dragonrider
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I have installed the ISCI unit on a RS and RT, and will be adding it to another RT this year. It is a flawless, worry free product, that cuts into nothing, changes nothing, and simply works. IMHO, it is worth every penny.

Lamonster
01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I've seen it in person and it worked but it didn't work as well as the ISCI. If that's all you're counting on for braking I would go with what you know that works right and has a real company that stands behind their product.

dave01
01-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I love the quality of the ISCI part. I rarely use the foot brake now. Reminds me more of being on 2 wheels

IWN2RYD
01-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Just throwing my $.02 in...

I installed the ISCI hand brake kit yesterday on our new RS-S 2011... What I will say is this. Over the years I have built a few clutch "Slave" cylinders and a few brake assists as well. They work. But the thought/thoroughness of the ISCI kit is amazing.

It is worth every penny. High end parts, detailed and fully complete instructions, and the fit and finish is better than nearly any other aftermarket item I have ever purchased. Heck they even shipped it expecting a gorilla to sit on it or something (There is that much padding). Even the "Lever" itself is high-end!

Basically what I am saying is this. Yes for sure I could build my own just like I have before. However in this paticular situation I will be leaving it to the pros and call it a day. My life/property and others I commute with everyday is worth far more than a few hundred dollars in savings... :thumbup:

This product is a grand slam in my book... nojoke:spyder2::bowdown::firstplace::doorag:

GaryTheBadger
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
I concur with all the others...ISCI is the way to go on the handbrake. Don't take any chances with another solution.

Wright2743
04-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I agree with the previous posts after seeing Lamonster's post on the cable setup as a person with C.P. That has to heel tap the brake I contacted him & he advivised of ISCI'S Hydralic setup after ordering & installing found it to be a Very Good Mod.:2thumbs:

FloridaLimited
06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I just bought a 2011 Limited, number 8 off the 2011 production, (blessing or a curse?) Anyway I am a right leg amputee and had the ISCI hand brake installed and it is excellent. You can still use the foot brake if you want or can.

In my case I removed the rubber toe pad on the foot brake as my foot was riding it and not knowing it, well it threw the bike into limp mode. So I removed toe rubber pad to give me enough clearance when resting my foot on the peg so I don't touch the foot brake as just enough pressure on it and giving the bike throttle will confuse the bike after a while.

Sorry for the long winded story. Anyone should use the ISCI that needs adaptation. Well worth it. And I have not company interest to say any of this.
Chris

lonnibdd
06-07-2011, 06:50 PM
i am the same as poster above right leg amputee below knee I have NEVER used my foot brake since bought the bike 1 years ago. It is definetly the way to go. DO NOT get cable brake specially in a case like mine where i have no ankle to move. I also have highway pegs what a blessing they have been as it hurts to put my right leg on the back on the standard peg with the bend. My prostetic hurts me. hydraulic is the way to go real stout as well. :chat: