PDA

View Full Version : Cornering Lights

Phil
01-18-2011, 03:58 PM
I didn't find anything on this via search...

Has anyone added cornering lights to their machine anywhere?

To define that- a bright LED lamp that would be aimed into the corner to which you are turning. I see it triggered off the turn signal and staying on until the signal is canceled. Electronics can keep it lit even while the turn signal is flashing.

I am thinking of trying to creatively mount 2 bullet LED lights and see what they do, but it's better if there is a kit in existence before I start inventing.

Specifically speaking of this for the RT, but could apply to RS or course.

fastfraser
01-18-2011, 04:14 PM
:popcorn:very interesting .

harddrive
01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Hey Phil...first the bluetooth thing and now this..:thumbup:. Just a suggestion, you may want to start my adding or replacing the lights on the front of the fenders. Then those lights would aim into the corner as you turn...Just a thought...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

1VENOM
01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

Yazz
01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Wasn't there a car whose headlights turned when the car turned?

Phil
01-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Hey Phil...first the bluetooth thing and now this..:thumbup:. Just a suggestion, you may want to start my adding or replacing the lights on the front of the fenders. Then those lights would aim into the corner as you turn...Just a thought...:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

HA! Wait till you see ALL that I have done over the past 4 weeks. It's disgusting! TEASER--- I got the puddle lights mounted into the bottom of the mirrors!!!! They're COOL.

I actually replaced the fendertip lights a long time ago with ones from SuperBrightLEDs.com. They barely fit in the housing and put out an omnidirectional light. I'm thinking the cornering lights need to be around 30 degree beam-width to concentrate the light (but good thought on the location). I looked at these---- http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html But I'm not finding much in the way of specs and I like specs.
I've looked at some 1watt and 3watt 12vdc pond lights this afternoon http://www.thepondoutlet.com/shop/images/98926_1W_LED_Bullet_Spotlight.gif
. They are super watertight (obviously) and should have a really bright light. The LED substrate is made by CREE, one of THE best in the world. I'm actually thinking of mounting them on the side bags at the back and aiming them outward. Then power them from the back turn signals through a little electronics to make them be on steadily while turning. BUT... still looking for a kit :sour:

Phil
01-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Yup. I have one- Hyundai Genesis. It's 'ok' and helps, but the beauty of cornering lights is that you light the corner/direction as soon as you turn on the signal. The steerable headlights don't light the way until you're well into the corner.

NancysToy
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
The Tucker.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:LIrFadE69RrMwM:http://www.kurtericson.com/txroadkill/roadkillpics/tuckertorpedo.jpg&t=1

effgjamis
01-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Your are right Scotty... what about the Cord coupe... did it not have the turning lights??

NancysToy
01-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Your are right Scotty... what about the Cord coupe... did it not have the turning lights??
Never heard of that. The 36 Cord 810 did have the first concealed headlights, though, opened by cranks on the dash.

bone crusher
01-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Never heard of that. The 36 Cord 810 did have the first concealed headlights, though, opened by cranks on the dash.

Yes...the Tucker was the one...if you have one now, you are very, very rich!

Yazz
01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Yup. I have one- Hyundai Genesis. It's 'ok' and helps, but the beauty of cornering lights is that you light the corner/direction as soon as you turn on the signal. The steerable headlights don't light the way until you're well into the corner.

That makes sense. :)

Bootie
01-19-2011, 09:48 AM
I vaguely remember that the Henry J (for Henry J Kaiser) had turning headlights. I also vaguely remember that they weren't too successful.:(

boborgera
01-19-2011, 10:05 AM
I vaguely remember that the Henry J (for Henry J Kaiser) had turning headlights. I also vaguely remember that they weren't too successful.:(

Don't think they had turning h/lights, they did have hart shape windshields. And your right the H Jay and the Kaiser they weren't successful.
But he was VERY good at making boats that kept England afloat.:bowdown:

SpyderGirl
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
There are several guys I ride with around here out of Livermore that have lights on their RT that are mounted on the inside part of the wheel that turn with the wheels. It can be adapted to also work on the RS. Sorry, but I don't have a picture.

Maybe Gene (Spyderman55) can chime in here.

Gordy
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I have a relay for cornering lites from an older ford car part# d74b 5a217 aa one was used for each side looks just like a small round signal lite flasher.Would be very simple to hook up one wire goes to signal lite switch one to power and one to lite.Dont know if they are still available as this looks like a 1974 part # have had it in my tool box for many years.Cant help with lites sorry:dontknow:

Gordy
01-19-2011, 11:39 AM
should have added this is a motorcraft part made by sylvania looks like sylvania part # r-104 I think this was from a 1974 ford galaxie about first year for cornering lites

sinkhole
01-19-2011, 02:49 PM
... or maybe a system similar to these...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sniaeT7abwc