PDA

View Full Version : Cheers from Chilly Newfoundland

groundeffect
01-18-2011, 06:17 AM
Good morning, all and cheers from chilly Newfoundland! We're reading -7C (19F) in St. John's, with windchill of -19 (-2F), but let me tell you, it felt alot colder than that at 80km/hr (50miles/hr) on the commute in this morning. Not a comfortable day for T-shirt and shorts. ;).

MouthPiece
01-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Back at you from the banks of the St. John's River in Sanford, Flarda, where it will be 72 for a high today and a low of 50.
However, it has been unusually cold so far this winter for this area. The temps have been down in the low 20s, and yes that isn't shorts and short sleeved shirt weather.

Chris PE# 0004

groundeffect
01-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Back at you from the banks of the St. John's River in Sanford, Flarda, where it will be 72 for a high today and a low of 50.
However, it has been unusually cold so far this winter for this area. The temps have been down in the low 20s, and yes that isn't shorts and short sleeved shirt weather.

Chris PE# 0004

Hi Chris, thanks for the note. I've heard FL has been unseasonably chilly this winter. That is surprising. Stay warm.

pjp623
01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
:shocked: Not that this is a contest, and we certainly don't have the dampness that you do, but still at 24 below without the windchill, was pretty :cus: cold up here.

rogerb
01-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Crazy weather this winter -7 F last night snowing right now with rain by this evening. How can you make any kind of plans. Have a nice day everybody. :gaah:

NancysToy
01-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Crazy weather this winter -7 F last night snowing right now with rain by this evening. How can you make any kind of plans. Have a nice day everybody. :gaah:
We had snow yesterday, then freezing rain, then rain, and now we're back to snow. Challenging, but thus far not serious. At least we are used to it, eh?

boborgera
01-18-2011, 08:45 AM

The Crazy weather i can handle'
It's the Crazy drivers that come out in the Crazy weather that i can't handle. :dontknow:

sabunim5
01-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I takes real :cus: to have the Spyder as your only vehicle where you live. A bigger windshield could cut that wind chill some. My CHAD windshield has made the cold weather ryding a lot easier. Here in FL we sure don't get cold nearly as often as you do. Hang in there :D

Eraser
01-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Back at ya Dean!!!!
We had a Balmy -34 this morning in Winterpeg!!!With the wind -46!!!:shocked:
Getting ready for my Winter Holiday.:2thumbs:

Motavar
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Between 30-34F here in Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

3-6 inches of snow followed by this:

and yes that is dirt on my fingers from changing the ATF fluid in my car last night.
Goop and soap laughed at me. :/

Motavar
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Ground Effect, how do you keep your fingers warm?
I have heated grips but the tips of my fingers still get cold after about 45 mins of riding at 75+ mph. Do you use heated gloves too? or a glove liner?

TicketBait
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Out in Malibu California today and yesterday got to 75 degrees Fahrenheit, When I rode home to Santa Monica I was sweating cuz it got to 80' heck I didn't even consider the wind chill factor http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/willy_nilly.gif

Here's a photo taken yesterday when we went for lunch. Hardly any traffic on Pacific Coast Highway because of MLK. Lots of other motorcycle groups out though :doorag: We got there before they opened up at 10:30am

I went with fellow Spyderlover scottyB.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/SpyderCorbin-seat054.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/SpyderCorbin-seat070.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/SpyderCorbin-seat058.jpg

I have some photos of girls in bathing suits but don't wanna upset any of my east coast and Canadian spyderlovers. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/lol.gif

ARtraveler
01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Balmy -5 again in Anchorage/Chugiak AK. Snow coming tonight--but it will warm to the 20's. I am so envious of those pictures with people riding in summer type weather.

Barbary
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
I have some photos of girls in bathing suits but don't wanna upset any of my east coast and Canadian spyderlovers. http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/DogsandCars/SPYDER%20RTS/lol.gif

I doubt the Huligans will get upset... Our beaches i'm sure are just as nicely, how can i say, molded.... :roflblack::roflblack:

TicketBait
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I doubt the Huligans will get upset... Our beaches i'm sure are just as nicely, how can i say, molded.... :roflblack::roflblack:

Ok if you say so...............

http://www.weird-websites.info/Ugly-People/fat-images/big-girls-bikini-beach-photos.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/7y3tdld.gif

groundeffect
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I takes real :cus: to have the Spyder as your only vehicle where you live. A bigger windshield could cut that wind chill some. My CHAD windshield has made the cold weather ryding a lot easier. Here in FL we sure don't get cold nearly as often as you do. Hang in there :D

Haha... maybe, but I'm not the only crazy one, let's not forget nickcaro, SethO, tatt2r and others who ryde in the cold weather conditions. Be safe out there guys! I found a little black ice on the way in this morning, wheels were straight at the time and I was not going fast so no issues, but a good reminder to keep the speed down and eyes peels for the stuff.

As for windsheilds, I have the BRP 25" Ultra Touring and it suits me well with the wind-deflector sidepanels installed also. (The BRP Weather System). You are absolutely right - windsheilds are awesome for cutting down the windchill, I simply would not be ryding through winter without one!!

Back at ya Dean!!!!
We had a Balmy -34 this morning in Winterpeg!!!With the wind -46!!!:shocked:
Getting ready for my Winter Holiday.:2thumbs:
Hi Don. Have fun on your holiday, I'm guessing you're heading somewhere to a beach in the warm, good idea ;).

Ground Effect, how do you keep your fingers warm?
I have heated grips but the tips of my fingers still get cold after about 45 mins of riding at 75+ mph. Do you use heated gloves too? or a glove liner?
Hey Motavar - Cool photos by the way, pun intended ;).

I use a combination of gear that I think are critical for me to ryde in the cold:
1. The BRP Touring 25" shield and side wind deflector panels (the BRP Weather System).
2. Heated grips
3. Recently added this season (and really helps) - Wind Guards for the handle bars (really cuts down on wind-chill to the fingers).
4. A GOOD pair of gloves (mine are unheated) - SNO Star Leather Gloves (ColdWave)
5. My usual ryding jacket (water and wind proof)
6. My usual ryding pants (water and wind proof) - I pull them on over my office pants.

As specifically for the finger tips, I use to find the same last year, but by adding the wind guards and these new gloves I can ryde much longer and much further at higher speeds in subzero temps. Last weekend was a good example. I did 110km non-stop in 18F (wind-chill had to be -4F). Had lunch with my folks and did the same run back without issues. Loving the new gear!

TicketBait: Thanks for sharing the photos of the warm weather! Ah, Neptune's Net, very cool.

As for the forecast here in Newfoundland - we have some rain on the way, which is good as it will wash some salt off the roads. However, I will still continue my winter washing routine ( and rust check application ) every Sunday :).

Cheers guys!:thumbup:

docdoru
01-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Ok if you say so...............

http://www.weird-websites.info/Ugly-People/fat-images/big-girls-bikini-beach-photos.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e240/TicketBait/7y3tdld.gif
You're at the wrong beach...:roflblack::thumbup:

SpyderWolf
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for checking in Dean. Glad to hear things are still going well for you and ryding year round there. Stay safe. :thumbup:

TicketBait is definitely hitting the wrong beaches. :roflblack:

rogerb
01-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Hey GROUNDEFFECT get ready for the cold weather. They're warning us to get ready for the coldest weather of the winter starting tonight. Below 0 f for awhile. My arthritis is already complaining. Stay covered up.

SpyderSteve
01-22-2011, 06:49 PM
It's -16 c with wind chill feels like -27c :gaah:

boborgera
01-22-2011, 08:58 PM
-9f , 13+ inches of ice on our lake plus a foot of snow on top.
Got the Rhino up to 50mph, With the snowmobile's i can crank it to well over 100mph, but with lake being a little less than a mile long,
Lets just say trees hurt when hit at 100.:yikes:
All kidding aside, With out a cold Winter how are you going to appreciate Summer.?

groundeffect
01-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the notes! :)

Yep, the forecast is saying we're going to be hit with a strong Nor'easter over the next couple days - snow first and a little rain, maybe a mix. Also, they predict the temps will drop to more 'normal' lower temperatures for the remainder of the winter. I'll be sure I bundle up in the cold and I'm hoping the roads are cleared asap. We've been very lucky so far. Only time will tell. I got 300km (in mostly sub zero temps 10F to 15F with wind chills of -4F) of adventure ryding, commuting and errand runs the past couple days, and I'm very thankful for that. Time will tell, fingers crossed for more rain then snow :).

Got home this afternoon and washed down my Spyder good to get all the salt and road grime off, my weekly routine. Need to apply a little more rust check tomorrow to help prevent salt issues.

Appreciate the notes guys! Chat soon!