PDA

View Full Version : New Vendor for Belt Tensioners

capt.jim
01-16-2011, 11:53 PM
I am happy to announce I will now be supporting Spyderlovers as a new vendor, "SMOOTH SPYDER BELT TENSIONERS". Thanks to Spyderlovers, its members and their experiences, the joy and knowledge I have received from this site is immeasurable. It's comforting to know that there are many great people that share the same passion for the spyder as myself, and if I have something to share or need advice, Spyderlovers is only a click away. Thanks, Lamonster! After lowering my belt tension to the new specs, I experienced a fair amount of belt vibration, due to the long belt length. With no apparent solution, other than tightening the belt up again, I started researching "Dynamic Spring Loaded Belt Tensioners" and Cad designed a bracket to fit the Spyder. After comparing all the Rotary tensioners available, I chose the "Fenner Drives" Rotary Tensioner, model RT 3000, automotive quality, self lubricating and 0-42lb. adjustability, along with their composite ball bearing idler pulley. This worked very well for me, and removed all my vibration with only 10 lbs of tension. Realizing there must be others with the same problem has inspired me to try my hand at manufacturing and marketing these as a kit so that others may have a solution to their vibration problems. The bracket is water jet cut from 3/16 steel plate and black epoxy powder coated and comes with all the mounting hardware and detailed illustrated instructions. The Idler Pulley is 2". A dial fishing scale is helpful to know exactly what your tension is set at, and this is included. This tensioner will only fit the G/S-R/S, but are adaptable to the RT with modification to the exhaust system. I am working on one for the RT. There is an unconditional 1 year warranty on all parts and 2 week return policy if you’re unhappy for any reason. Presently I am only shipping to the U.S., Canada and Australia. The price for Spyderlovers members is $265 to your door in the continental U.S, $285 to Canada and $300 to Australia. Send me a private message through Spyderlovers if you have any questions, or for purchasing info, thanks, Capt. Jim

IWN2RYD
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM
:2thumbs::clap::congrats:welcome:yes:

This is on my list after my 600 mile break-in period :ohyea::2excited:

qasamm
01-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Welcome as a sponsor. Love the tensioner!

fispyder
01-17-2011, 06:06 AM
:thumbup: Very nice looking product! :thumbup: Welcome aboard as a sponsor. :D
:agree:could always use new dealers

Lamonster
01-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your support and I hope you do well with these. From what I can tell it looks like a good product that should help reduce vibration and bearing wear. :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/../sponsors/smoothspyder.jpg (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25110)

SpyderWolf
01-17-2011, 09:51 AM
:congrats: and welcome as a new sponsor. :2thumbs:

gunbuyer2
01-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Welcome:2thumbs:

dltang
01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Will these be in Cuba and how hard are they to install?

Eraser
01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Great news Capt.Jim!....and thanks for the great product.I have not installed it yet,but the fun starts in a week or two.It will be joining everything else for a winter install.Good Luck!:2thumbs:

Marker
01-17-2011, 05:28 PM
:congrats::2thumbs::clap:

COOLMACHINE
01-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the support Capt. Jim. (:

StriperKing
01-17-2011, 11:13 PM
I have installed the belt tensioner on my RT with the lower belt tension. I did remove the cat. so I was able to use the RS model. Someone asked how hard is it to install, it is the easiest mod I have done yet, not including the cat. by-pass which I was going to do anyway. If you did this on a RS/GS it would be a piece of cake with the instructions supplied. This is on the top of my list for the most bang for the buck mods I`ve done. The RT is heavy and is easy to put under a static load. I hated that vibration feeling under a load. To be honest it makes the bike feel cheap even though it is not. I did this during the winter and do not have much time on it since I put this on but to be honest you can tell in the first mile. It is very smooth now. The power curve feels great. You do not feel like there is that RPM range you need to stay out of. I actually find myself running at lower RPMs while cruzing becase it feels better not having that belt loading and unloading if under the load. I know this mod did not give me more power but it does make it feel like it. OK I know I am going on and on but I think a lot of people have a lot of questions so I thought I would throw my oppenion out there. Just want to give Capt. Jim a big thanks for doing the leg work. :congrats:
If you want to see how much your belt jumps (at least on an RT) remove the plate and plastic on the left side and look at the places the belt has rubbed, not the sides but the flat part. You can not even begin to stretch the belt near that far by hand but some how it gets there when you ride. At least mine had all of this and that was enough to get me to try one. I do ride very hard so maybe that was part of it.

No I did not get paid for this, lol. Just want to put out all the info I can if it helps anyone. I personally can not read enough and I know there are other mod nuts on here also. I will be at Spyderfest and would be more than happy to let anyone try it to compare to theirs. :2thumbs:

sealfloorboards
01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Welcome to :spyder2:Lovers. I hope it is good for you as it has been for Seal FloorBoards. Looking forward to meeting you at SpyderFest.

Ride in Comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

BumbleBee
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
welcome Glad to have you :2thumbs:

Barbary
01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
welcome

spyderflyer
01-18-2011, 11:12 PM
:agree:

kcmess
01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Capt Jim for the great Tensioner. We install your tensioner the last week in Oct, and rode to Weatherford Texas from California Mo. it really did a good job for us.
Thanks Again
KCmess:2thumbs:

GloryRyders
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
welcome.............will you be comming to :spyder2:Fest??

Littlebadwolf
01-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Silly question...once you install this do you need to adjust the belt tension any differently than what they do at maintenance intervals? Does it impact the factory specs for setting tension?

Lamonster
01-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Silly question...once you install this do you need to adjust the belt tension any differently than what they do at maintenance intervals? Does it impact the factory specs for setting tension?
Alignment wise would be the same. I know I plan on backing off my tension some to help reduce bearing wear.

Firefly
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I've had this belt tensioner on for awhile now and really like it. There was always 'that spot' in the RPM range that had a certain vibration - especially noticeable from the foot pegs.

With this unit installed that vibration is gone.

Really simple install.

Don't sweat the 'alignment' mentioned in the instructions--- I just eye-balled mine-- moved it a couple times and then it was fine.:thumbup:

wyliec
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I've had this belt tensioner on for awhile now and really like it. There was always 'that spot' in the RPM range that had a certain vibration - especially noticeable from the foot pegs.

With this unit installed that vibration is gone.

Really simple install.

Don't sweat the 'alignment' mentioned in the instructions--- I just eye-balled mine-- moved it a couple times and then it was fine.:thumbup:

You mention an RPM range. I know that I have a vibration between 55-62 mph whether in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. So, I would say my vibration is not RPM specific and was wondering if the belt tensioner would help.

fastfraser
01-19-2011, 01:46 PM
:congrats: on being a sponsor ! Let me know when you have one for the RT please.

capt.jim
01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Silly question...once you install this do you need to adjust the belt tension any differently than what they do at maintenance intervals? Does it impact the factory specs for setting tension?Once you lower the tension to the new spec's, which is pretty low to me, especially for a belt that long, you should never have to adjust it again, the tensioner will do that for you. I have mine at around 200lbs. with the kricket, not sure what the sonic meter would show in newtons, but it feels loose enough to me. The tensioner seemed to add around 20 lbs. more tension overall with 10 lbs. on the tensioner. What's nice about low belt tension, except for the vibration, is that when your riding double and you hit that big bump your belt and bearings are not under such tremendous strain from the arc of the swingarm going up. If you don't think there i not a lot of pressure there under compression, take the bolt out of the bottom of the shock and see how far the swingarm drops down before the belt will fall off, not very far, it goes both ways.

capt.jim
01-19-2011, 11:15 PM
:congrats: on being a sponsor ! Let me know when you have one for the RT please.Yes, i have been taking measurements from an RT at the dealers, but it's really tight with that cat in there, wish i knew why they did that! I wish i knew what it required to remove the cat and do what Stripperking did, maybe have an exhaust shop set up a jig and make a bunch of replacement pipes, probably getting
too involved and expensive at this point. Hey Stripper king, i have an idea, take your old one and get a ballpean hammer and beat the side in enough to see if we could fit the tensioner in there, yea, that should do it!

capt.jim
01-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Will these be in Cuba and how hard are they to install?I won't be at Spyderfest this year, just can't make it, but i do plan on making it to the smokies!

StriperKing
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I have mine like Lomont suggested. My belt is a little looser than it should be and I set the tensioner at 14 lbs. I tightened the tensioner till I thought the belt felt right then checked the tensioner with a good fish scale and it was 14 lbs. Not to high tech. but I am happy with the way it is.

Firefly
01-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Will these be in Cuba and how hard are they to install?

I'll have mine on my Spyder in Cuba-- anyone who wants to take a spin to feel the difference is more than welcome. If they have some there I can help install them--- about a 20 minute job.

SPDA
03-30-2011, 01:31 AM
capt jim,i am interested in your belt tensioner
the price quoted to australia, is that correct
do you have paypal
john from australia.:spyder2:

trucknrn
05-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Ok so how do I make contact to buy?

Dick

M2Wild
05-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Ok so how do I make contact to buy?

Dick
Click on the name and emial him.

Roger Rice
06-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Capt Jim
I'm interested in getting one of these how do I go about it?

rudolph
08-20-2011, 11:27 AM
my email address is drudolph@wightman.ca

JCSMOKE
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Has an easy to install RT Model been made up yet?

Y Rider
09-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Has an easy to install RT Model been made up yet?

I have the RT version from Capt.Jim. The install is not difficult but you will need to drill two 3/8" holes in the frame. I would recommend getting a 12" long 3/8" drill bit. With the Spyder raised up on jack stands it was easy to access and drill the two holes from under the Spyder. The addition of the belt tensioner reduced the belt vibrations significantly but because the static tension of my belt was so low it didn't get rid of all the virbrations. Using a Kricket II belt tension gauge my static tension measures a little over 100 lbs. Other members on the board that use the Kricket II say theirs measure over 120 lbs. Lamont stated his is set at 180 lbs. My dealer says my belt tension is in spec but if it is it's at the very low end. I plan on making an adjustment to the belt tension after the Beaver Dam State Park ride today.

NancysToy
09-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I have the RT version from Capt.Jim. The install is not difficult but you will need to drill two 3/8" holes in the frame. I would recommend getting a 12" long 3/8" drill bit. With the Spyder raised up on jack stands it was easy to access and drill the two holes from under the Spyder. The addition of the belt tensioner reduced the belt vibrations significantly but because the static tension of my belt was so low it didn't get rid of all the virbrations. Using a Kricket II belt tension gauge my static tension measures a little over 100 lbs. Other members on the board that use the Kricket II say theirs measure over 120 lbs. Lamont stated his is set at 180 lbs. My dealer says my belt tension is in spec but if it is it's at the very low end. I plan on making an adjustment to the belt tension after the Beaver Dam State Park ride today.
My RT belt tension is in spec (although the spec is +/- 25%!), too, and it reads very low on the Krikit. Nancy's RS is supposedly the same, and reads significantly higher on the Krikit. I am not sure I trust the sonic gauge any more than the Krikit or a simple belt twist.

ryedoggracing
09-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Belt Tensioner
Just put on Smooth Spyder Tensioner on road 100 miles and all I can say is Holy Poop!!! This thing smooths my RT right out no vibes or belt noise. Can't understand why BRP doesn't put theses on at the factory. CAPT. JIM you the man fast shipping great directions. Excellent product!!!!!

capt.jim
09-17-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm trying hard!, thanks for the kind words.

StanProff
09-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Just finished cross country trip with over 4500 miles, the belt vibration to me is a problem that BRP should have addressed. Man that is a long belt and it just seems that a tensioner should have been there from the get-go. I can't understand an engineer missing something as important as this. Anyway I plan on getting one for my RT and the question is about the factory warranty. It looks like a good product and If it will do away with the vibration The bike would be really smooth. It is impossible to keep it in that "sweet spot" where you get a taste of how good the spyder really is. Have you got long term test reports yet?

Extracool
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Capt. Jim., do you know if this will fit the 2012 RTS Se5 ?:dontknow:

capt.jim
09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Unless they have changed anything that I'm not aware of, it should fit. I thought the GS/RS should of fit the RT also being that the frame and swingarm were basically the same, then I found out they stuffed the CAT in there. I have the longest to date test data on mine, but I'm sure some others have more miles, no tensioner failures yet, but if they do I will replace whatever part fails, period. As to voiding a warranty, a dealer might say the tensioner contributed to the front drive sprocket and shaft failures some have experienced or would have experienced anyway, but the extra tension added with 10lbs. of spring loaded tension to the static tension is not a lot, a few dealers have put the blame on the consumer to get out of fixing things their mods had nothing to do with.

Jornie1
10-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks Capt'n Jim, and to others thinking about getting the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner. I'm 14K+ miles into my 2010 RT Sm5 and....FINALLY, now... I have a smooth running Spyder. I didn't need 1000+ miles to know if this thing works. I works and works very well.

After installing, I cound't wait to take a "Does It Work" test ride. So, after about 100 miles or so, I am sold. I can't say it's Goldwing smooth, a Spyder will never be that smooth with a V-twin engine, but it's close enough. No more annoying vibration at any speed, rpm or when calling for lots or power. It works gang... Just one SpyderLovers opinion, I love it!! I will be installing one on my wife's RT ASAP.... Len

Yelhelp
10-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Capt Jim
I have a 2011 RT do you have a belt tensioner for them yet?
I would love to get rid of the vibration and does it help with the squell the RT has?

Bill

I am happy to announce I will now be supporting Spyderlovers as a new vendor, "SMOOTH SPYDER BELT TENSIONERS". Thanks to Spyderlovers, its members and their experiences, the joy and knowledge I have received from this site is immeasurable. It's comforting to know that there are many great people that share the same passion for the spyder as myself, and if I have something to share or need advice, Spyderlovers is only a click away. Thanks, Lamonster! After lowering my belt tension to the new specs, I experienced a fair amount of belt vibration, due to the long belt length. With no apparent solution, other than tightening the belt up again, I started researching "Dynamic Spring Loaded Belt Tensioners" and Cad designed a bracket to fit the Spyder. After comparing all the Rotary tensioners available, I chose the "Fenner Drives" Rotary Tensioner, model RT 3000, automotive quality, self lubricating and 0-42lb. adjustability, along with their composite ball bearing idler pulley. This worked very well for me, and removed all my vibration with only 10 lbs of tension. Realizing there must be others with the same problem has inspired me to try my hand at manufacturing and marketing these as a kit so that others may have a solution to their vibration problems. The bracket is water jet cut from 3/16 steel plate and black epoxy powder coated and comes with all the mounting hardware and detailed illustrated instructions. The standard pulley is 3", but if you’re not using the lower belt guard I have an optional 2" pulley that's less noticeable. An inexpensive digital fishing scale is helpful to know exactly what your tension is set at. This tensioner will only fit the G/S-R/S, but are adaptable to the RT with modification to the exhaust system. I am working on one for the RT. There is an unconditional 1 year warranty on all parts and 2 week return policy if you’re unhappy for any reason. Presently I am only shipping to the U.S., Canada and Australia. The price for Spyderlovers members is $260 to your door in the continental U.S, $280 to Canada and $295 to Australia. Send me a private message through Spyderlovers if you have any questions, or for purchasing info, thanks, Capt. Jim

Y Rider
10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Capt Jim
I would love to get rid of the vibration and does it help with the squell the RT has?

Bill

I have Capt Jim's belt tensioner on my 2011 RT Limited and it fits perfectly.

ARtraveler
10-24-2011, 11:00 AM
:welcome:

capt.jim
10-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Capt Jim

Bill
Hey Bill, sorry for the delayed response, I don't look at the supporting vendors site daily, mostly Private messages. It helps with the vibration but what is the "squell"?, this is a new one to me. Send me a PM. thanks, Capt.Jim

mastertek2000
04-18-2012, 06:24 AM
you have this posted for $265 to my door just tried to get and it wanted $280 to my door i do live in the U.S.A

rrman01
10-17-2012, 06:24 AM
hey all , i know there is a lot of stuff on here about the belt tensioner now i have a couple of questions after the install the belt was coming of the rear sprocket, i did all that was written on the paper work , checked and rechecked still did it ,, and also where the big bolt is that you tension and back of the wheel thats on the belt should there be any play in there in the main body where the brass washer is mine is loose ,, it was together in the box so when i moved the bottom wheel of the belt it when back to where it should be moved the body and tryed again belt moved again errrr,, so now moved the bottom wheel to the outside edge of the belt and was good but now the belt is up against the edge of the wheel so im stumped ,,, if some one can help out would be good cheers

capt.jim
10-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Road debris hasn't been an issue.

FrankPa
10-22-2012, 06:21 PM
I value your support of our forum and I don't want to be negative, so please take my question as a sincere effort to understand... :thumbup:

Why is a pully mounted on a fairly simple bracket so expensive?

Again, no disrespect intended and I am a former small businessman myself... I'm just curious. Thanks, in advance!

capt.jim
10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I value your support of our forum and I don't want to be negative, so please take my question as a sincere effort to understand... :thumbup:

Why is a pully mounted on a fairly simple bracket so expensive?

Again, no disrespect intended and I am a former small businessman myself... I'm just curious. Thanks, in advance!
Well, parts like this are typically made in smaller batches and cost more to produce. I could have them made in China for less than half the price, but chinese steel may not be any better than chinese drywall, and the tensioners didn't look as good either. My belt tensioners are made in the USA with American ingenuity, parts and labor. They cost me more, but I know of what and where they're made. They say we need more small business and manufacturing jobs in the U.S.to get the economy going, I'm trying to keep everything in the pockets of the U.S.A., from the US Steel workers to the fabricator to the powder coater and tensioner parts manufacturer and me, even though my contribution is like a grain of sand. I spent a lot of time researching and buying the best tensioner parts I could find, then I spent many hours lying awake at night thinking and worked under the spyder for months making templates out of cardboard, then plastic, then aluminum before the final steel piece was made that suited me. Then I did the same thing for the RT, except I didn't have one and had to pay the dealer to stay there after hours on numerous occasions so I could lay under there for hours without customers walking around wondering what I was doing with a flashlight, scissors, cardboard, calipers, camera, clamps, tape measures, drawings, etc. While everyone was out having fun and riding their spyders I was working hard trying to find a solution for the vibration that was causing me grief, and to quite a few others I noticed as time went on. I don't feel it is out of line price wise as far as custom motorcycle parts go and for the relief it brings if you are one of the unlucky ones to have vibration, not to mention that the vibration can rattle your bike apart, rear fenders cracking, license plates falling off, front sprockets coming loose, bulb filaments breaking, loose fuses and relays, vibration is a detriment to both the rider and the spyder. I cared enough to invest the time and effort so that myself and all the others with vibration could have a more enjoyable riding experience and maybe save some of the parts from early failure. My vibration was annoying enough that I would have gladly pulled out my wallet if something showed up in my mailbox in 2 or 3 days that would fix it. I've read only a few comments about it being overpriced, that they would make one themselves first. Well, spend the time I have designing a bracket, spend time and gas going to get plate steel and start cutting or have your fabricator make one, your still going to need a template, spend more gas and time going to pick up the part and then to the powder coater and back to get it, then to the hardware store, then to where ever you are going to purchase the tensioner parts at list price, it all adds up, and what do you figure your time is worth hourly?, time is money. I just paid $650 for a motorcycle GPS that would cost half of that in my car. I could put a dual stainless steel exhaust on my car for what I paid for a simple exhaust can. I could have made my own cardboard patterns for my GS highway peg brackets and taken them to my fabricator, a flat piece of plate with one bend and a couple holes, but for the $160 I paid another vendor, I didn't have to get on my back and measure anything or run around town, someone did this for me, and he deserves to get paid. I ordered them and they arrived and were on before the fabricator would have called me to come get them and take them to the powder coater. Of course by the time the pegs were on with the adapters they were still $300. My Madstad windshield, love it, $300, handlebar risers, floorboards, Backrest, everything is expensive, $750 for a factory backrest, It is the nature of the beast. Have any patent work done lately?, it never ends. I feel like my price is reasonable for the time, effort and expense I've invested and the benefits it hopefully provides to the bike and rider. I worked long and hard on these so no one else had to, same with Lamonster's NBV brackets and Ron's sway bars, Seal Floorboards and other vendors creations, they don't happen over nite, there is much thought, many changes in design and trips to the fabricators trying to get these just right, people deserve to be paid for their efforts. And for those that think that the vendors are just sitting back watching the cash register fill up now that the parts are made, it doesn't end there. Parts get back ordered, you have to stay on the fabricator and powder coater to get things done, or carry much more stock than need so you don't get caught short. Then you assemble everything yourself or pay someone and hope they do it like you would. Wrapping, packaging, invoicing and going to the shipper all take gas and time. Paypal takes 3-4% of your sale, Ebay takes 8% more, that's 11% profit gone right off the top. Advertising, business licenses, Incorporating etc. take some more, you can write it off but it still comes out of your pocket. Then there is personalized service, most of the Spyderlovers vendors I know are readily available if you need advise or have a problem, my business phone is my cell phone, I am available 7 days a week to help someone if they need help or have a question, and call they do, at all hours. The tensioners may not be as inexpensive as you like or think they should be, but I've made them the best I could with the best parts I could find so they would be as reliable as possible, and if you do have an issue down the road, I've got your back. Not sure what kind of business you had, but mine is a lot of leg work and time involved, and not all peaches and cream for what my profit margin is. Have a nice day, all the best, Jim

eddieshep999
10-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Well said Jim

I like many I have modified my Spyder RT - This is the current list :-

Spyder – RT-S SES (AUTO 2010 Model)

List of Mods :-
Added Zuno 660 - Garmin kit as supplied on the Spyder RT Limited
Digital Voltmeter and Digital Clock to replace Fuel and Temp gauge – Fuel and Temp now
displayed in Cluster Display
LED Bulbs Reversing Lights,Front position lights
HMT - Brake Light
Full Size Brake Pedal by Steve = TricLed.com
LED – Running lights
LED - Mud Flap lights
Rear extended Mud Flap
LED Light in Rear Trunk
Elka Shocks Stage 1 +R – Front and Rear
Shock Covers
Smoothspyder belt tensioner
Yoshimura R-77 Stainless Steel Slip on Exhaust
Track Rod Covers
Spyderpops – BumpSkid .Missing Belt Guard & New Funk weather-strip
New Odyssey battery PC680MJ
BaJaRon – Custom Ignition Wire Set + NGK 2 Iridium DCPR8EIX. Spark Plugs
K&N Air Filter
Sport Tall Wide Clear Wind-shield – Cut down to 24” High
2012 Windshield Pivot pins
Chrome 2011 Front Lower Wind deflectors
Utopia Backrest
Diamond R, Passenger Armrest for Can-Am Spyder RT
S/S Seat Prop
S/S Handlebar Weights
S/S Grills both sides matching
S/S Front Grills to Radiator and Oil Radiator
Bottom Panel S/S Protection
S/S stronger Funk Lid brackets
S/S Bracket for RBNS Hood for Zumo 660 GPS + TourTech Lockable Mount
Mirrors Zipped tied for added protection
Rubber Tank protector on glove box
Grip Puppies
Switch in Switch Cluster for Manual Fan operation
Power Socket in Switch Cluster and at Rear passenger Handrail
Rear Speaker Switch for passenger On/OFF
Upgraded Front/Rear J&M Speakers
Replacement Richbrook Short anti theft aerials
Blue tooth Via Sony transmitter TMR- BT10 - On board Radio to Sena SMH10 Headsets

Most of the reasons for the mods is to improve my Spyder over some of the OEM Items e.g. Plug Leads, Battery Elka Shocks etc
I invested alot of money on my Spyder and like most manufactures they are built to a price and would cost more if they fitted
high spec items - There is always a balance between Costs and What a customer is willing to pay

If I have been unable to find an accessories to replace a stock item I have sourced from a Non BRP supplier or attempted to make my
own e.g. Stainless Steel Grills etc
I know just how difficult it is to make some items and the amount of time and effort that one has to do to get results one is happy with
I like many on this website will do alot or research and read through various threads before making a purchase
Weighting up the cost against the gains any product will give
The smoothspyder comes under this category - No way could I even consider making one - I would not have the time or experience to even start down that road
Jim has invested alot of time and effort in Research and Design - His product is well made considering what is is does and the
enviroment it is expected to perform in
Could he had made in cheaper - Possible - but the compents would not be up to the job - Buyers would complain and his sales would have dried up by now
Jim has designed the Smoothspyder from the ground up and used the best compents to ensure it works and any purchaser is happy with

I am glad he did and have no issues with the price - If I did I would not have purchased it and my Spyder would not be as smooth
on the road as it now is

I am just a customer like all those on this website and feel we should support our sponsors because without them we would be left with just the stock items for our Spyders and as we know just how long improvements from BRP take

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

lookerjdc
10-29-2012, 04:49 PM
yours is the next item on my list

I noticed riding home from Daytona after Biketoberfest that my RT has developed a harmonic vibration around 55-60mph so I am thinking its the belt tension so your product will hopefully remedy the situation

FrankPa
10-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Thank you for your explanation; it truly does make sense to me.

I have been noticing belt harmonics more and more (proportional to my comfort level with everything else regarding the Spyder).

I will be ordering one from you in the next couple of weeks. Thanks again for your reply!!!

Grandpa Pete
10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Congrats:spyder2:

CapNCrunch
11-25-2013, 02:36 PM
tensioner for the RT
I am happy to announce I will now be supporting Spyderlovers as a new vendor, "SMOOTH SPYDER BELT TENSIONERS". Thanks to Spyderlovers, its members and their experiences, the joy and knowledge I have received from this site is immeasurable. It's comforting to know that there are many great people that share the same passion for the spyder as myself, and if I have something to share or need advice, Spyderlovers is only a click away. Thanks, Lamonster! After lowering my belt tension to the new specs, I experienced a fair amount of belt vibration, due to the long belt length. With no apparent solution, other than tightening the belt up again, I started researching "Dynamic Spring Loaded Belt Tensioners" and Cad designed a bracket to fit the Spyder. After comparing all the Rotary tensioners available, I chose the "Fenner Drives" Rotary Tensioner, model RT 3000, automotive quality, self lubricating and 0-42lb. adjustability, along with their composite ball bearing idler pulley. This worked very well for me, and removed all my vibration with only 10 lbs of tension. Realizing there must be others with the same problem has inspired me to try my hand at manufacturing and marketing these as a kit so that others may have a solution to their vibration problems. The bracket is water jet cut from 3/16 steel plate and black epoxy powder coated and comes with all the mounting hardware and detailed illustrated instructions. The Idler Pulley is 2". A dial fishing scale is helpful to know exactly what your tension is set at, and this is included. This tensioner will only fit the G/S-R/S, but are adaptable to the RT with modification to the exhaust system. I am working on one for the RT. There is an unconditional 1 year warranty on all parts and 2 week return policy if you’re unhappy for any reason. Presently I am only shipping to the U.S., Canada and Australia. The price for Spyderlovers members is $265 to your door in the continental U.S, $285 to Canada and $300 to Australia. Send me a private message through Spyderlovers if you have any questions, or for purchasing info, thanks, Capt. Jim

Hey, Capt. Jim:
I hope you'll let us all know when your RT model is ready. It's on my list.
CapNCrunch

Benggolf
12-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Am certainly interested i ordering your belt tensioner for our 2011 RT and also perhaps the 2013 STS. Please
advise when these will be ready. Thank you Capt. Jim.

SNOOPY
12-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Well, parts like this are typically made in smaller batches and cost more to produce. I could have them made in China for less than half the price, but chinese steel may not be any better than chinese drywall, and the tensioners didn't look as good either. My belt tensioners are made in the USA with American ingenuity, parts and labor. They cost me more, but I know of what and where they're made. They say we need more small business and manufacturing jobs in the U.S.to get the economy going, I'm trying to keep everything in the pockets of the U.S.A., from the US Steel workers to the fabricator to the powder coater and tensioner parts manufacturer and me, even though my contribution is like a grain of sand. I spent a lot of time researching and buying the best tensioner parts I could find, then I spent many hours lying awake at night thinking and worked under the spyder for months making templates out of cardboard, then plastic, then aluminum before the final steel piece was made that suited me. Then I did the same thing for the RT, except I didn't have one and had to pay the dealer to stay there after hours on numerous occasions so I could lay under there for hours without customers walking around wondering what I was doing with a flashlight, scissors, cardboard, calipers, camera, clamps, tape measures, drawings, etc. While everyone was out having fun and riding their spyders I was working hard trying to find a solution for the vibration that was causing me grief, and to quite a few others I noticed as time went on. I don't feel it is out of line price wise as far as custom motorcycle parts go and for the relief it brings if you are one of the unlucky ones to have vibration, not to mention that the vibration can rattle your bike apart, rear fenders cracking, license plates falling off, front sprockets coming loose, bulb filaments breaking, loose fuses and relays, vibration is a detriment to both the rider and the spyder. I cared enough to invest the time and effort so that myself and all the others with vibration could have a more enjoyable riding experience and maybe save some of the parts from early failure. My vibration was annoying enough that I would have gladly pulled out my wallet if something showed up in my mailbox in 2 or 3 days that would fix it. I've read only a few comments about it being overpriced, that they would make one themselves first. Well, spend the time I have designing a bracket, spend time and gas going to get plate steel and start cutting or have your fabricator make one, your still going to need a template, spend more gas and time going to pick up the part and then to the powder coater and back to get it, then to the hardware store, then to where ever you are going to purchase the tensioner parts at list price, it all adds up, and what do you figure your time is worth hourly?, time is money. I just paid $650 for a motorcycle GPS that would cost half of that in my car. I could put a dual stainless steel exhaust on my car for what I paid for a simple exhaust can. I could have made my own cardboard patterns for my GS highway peg brackets and taken them to my fabricator, a flat piece of plate with one bend and a couple holes, but for the $160 I paid another vendor, I didn't have to get on my back and measure anything or run around town, someone did this for me, and he deserves to get paid. I ordered them and they arrived and were on before the fabricator would have called me to come get them and take them to the powder coater. Of course by the time the pegs were on with the adapters they were still $300. My Madstad windshield, love it, $300, handlebar risers, floorboards, Backrest, everything is expensive, $750 for a factory backrest, It is the nature of the beast. Have any patent work done lately?, it never ends. I feel like my price is reasonable for the time, effort and expense I've invested and the benefits it hopefully provides to the bike and rider. I worked long and hard on these so no one else had to, same with Lamonster's NBV brackets and Ron's sway bars, Seal Floorboards and other vendors creations, they don't happen over nite, there is much thought, many changes in design and trips to the fabricators trying to get these just right, people deserve to be paid for their efforts. And for those that think that the vendors are just sitting back watching the cash register fill up now that the parts are made, it doesn't end there. Parts get back ordered, you have to stay on the fabricator and powder coater to get things done, or carry much more stock than need so you don't get caught short. Then you assemble everything yourself or pay someone and hope they do it like you would. Wrapping, packaging, invoicing and going to the shipper all take gas and time. Paypal takes 3-4% of your sale, Ebay takes 8% more, that's 11% profit gone right off the top. Advertising, business licenses, Incorporating etc. take some more, you can write it off but it still comes out of your pocket. Then there is personalized service, most of the Spyderlovers vendors I know are readily available if you need advise or have a problem, my business phone is my cell phone, I am available 7 days a week to help someone if they need help or have a question, and call they do, at all hours. The tensioners may not be as inexpensive as you like or think they should be, but I've made them the best I could with the best parts I could find so they would be as reliable as possible, and if you do have an issue down the road, I've got your back. Not sure what kind of business you had, but mine is a lot of leg work and time involved, and not all peaches and cream for what my profit margin is. Have a nice day, all the best, Jim

Very nice explanation. I run my own business as well and people think it's all fun and games and making lots of money. :banghead:

NetJunkie
01-16-2014, 09:43 PM
Any plans for one for the 2013 or 2014 RS?

kusmith
03-18-2014, 08:20 AM
What is the model number & price for a belt tensioner for a 2012 RT. Any detailed literature on it, and purchasing information would be benifical.

SNOOPY
03-18-2014, 07:35 PM
:welcome: