PDA

View Full Version : 2008 SE5

Dudley
01-15-2011, 05:43 PM
I rode to visit my dealer this morning and got a chance to chat with the Spyder Tech and asked him about our SE5 we had traded for the 2010 RT. The SE5 had over 43,000 miles and the valves had never been checked. He checked them and said that all valves were not in need of shim replacements. Three cheers for BRP quality and Royal Purple 10W40 Synthetic oil.
I cannot prove this, but I think the Spyder had the most miles of any first production Semi-auto. The tech said the centrifugal clutch needed work. The springs, etc., were just worn out.
Just thought I would post this for anyone worried about Spyder quality.

pitbull
01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I rode to visit my dealer this morning and got a chance to chat with the Spyder Tech and asked him about our SE5 we had traded for the 2010 RT. The SE5 had over 43,000 miles and the valves had never been checked. He checked them and said that all valves were not in need of shim replacements. Three cheers for BRP quality and Royal Purple 10W40 Synthetic oil.
I cannot prove this, but I think the Spyder had the most miles of any first production Semi-auto. The tech said the centrifugal clutch needed work. The springs, etc., were just worn out.
Just thought I would post this for anyone worried about Spyder quality.

:2thumbs:very cool!

SpyderWolf
01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
:2thumbs:

Thanks for the info Dudley. It will be a while before I reach 40K on my 2009 SE5, so this is some good news about reliability. :thumbup:

fispyder
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Glad to hear that. I was wondering if other :spyder2: riders was running synthetic or a synthetic blend in their :spyder2: I've though about going to synthetic in mine but increase the milage between oil changes.

Dudley
01-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Glad to hear that. I was wondering if other :spyder2: riders was running synthetic or a synthetic blend in their :spyder2: I've though about going to synthetic in mine but increase the milage between oil changes.

I have been changing oil in motorcycles for over 40 years at 5000 mile intervals. Don't plan on changing. I used the Royal Purple 10W40 automotive oil in the SE5 and will do so in the RT. The oil does not contain any additives that will damage a wet clutch.

Sarge707
01-22-2011, 02:34 PM
I have been changing oil in motorcycles for over 40 years at 5000 mile intervals. Don't plan on changing. I used the Royal Purple 10W40 automotive oil in the SE5 and will do so in the RT. The oil does not contain any additives that will damage a wet clutch.

I use Mobil 1 4T and have started the following process-
Change oil and filter (s).
Drive 2 thousand- Extract 2 quarts from tank and add 2 quarts.
Drive 2 thousand and do the 4 Thousand change with filter (s).
This is probably overkill but I end up doing the Actual Change every 4
thousand. (Extracting-Adding 2 Quarts take 15 minutes and cost $20.)

SpyderWolf
01-22-2011, 02:44 PM
I use Mobil 1 4T and have started the following process-
Change oil and filter (s).
Drive 2 thousand- Extract 2 quarts from tank and add 2 quarts.
Drive 2 thousand and do the 4 Thousand change with filter (s).
This is probably overkill but I end up doing the Actual Change every 4
thousand. (Extracting-Adding 2 Quarts take 15 minutes and cost $20.)

What do you use to extract the oil? :dontknow: