PDA

View Full Version : Snowed In -- Went Nuts !

cjackg
01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Today I couldnt take it anymore! With over 8" of snow and the temp never got over freezing for 3 days, I finally got so bored I decided to take my Spyder RT apart, completely!

Now, I can get on with about 10 jobs that couldnt be done without fully undressing the RT. Sure hope I can put all this together again!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1178&pictureid=13294

docdoru
01-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Today I couldnt take it anymore! With over 8" of snow and the temp never got over freezing for 3 days, I finally got so bored I decided to take my Spyder RT apart, completely!
Now, I can get on with about 10 jobs that couldnt be done without fully undressing the RT. Sure hope I can put all this together again!
:spyder::shocked: :thumbup:

gunbuyer2
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
:thumb up :2thumbs:[/SIZE]
Go for it

Pete

SpyderWolf
01-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Best of luck with whatever mods you have planned for it. At least you have a garage to work in, hopefully you have heat in there as well. :thumbup:

Roger
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Best of luck with whatever mods you have planned for it. At least you have a garage to work in, hopefully you have heat in there as well. :thumbup:

That part is killing me not having a garage. Atleast it is in storage it's to cold and to small to work in. :gaah::gaah::gaah:

sinkhole
01-12-2011, 10:41 AM

You must have a heated garage, right? :clap:
Looks like a good time to install fog lights in your RT while the snout is off.
I've got some 6K mile stuff to do on mine, but I think that I'm going to wait until the temps rise a bit.
Just keep the fasteners for each part bagged, and with the body part, and you won't have problems putting things back together.
Good luck. :2thumbs:

M2Wild
01-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Only 8"? I am working on 2 feet here.:D My Spyder is all in pieces in my basement (as usual for this time of the year). Got a ton of mods going on there. It will stay in pieces until spring when I roll it out of the basement.:ohyea:

Bob Denman
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
While I can appreciate your motives here... I'd rather turn up the fireplace and chase the Missus around just a little bit! :shocked:

pjp623
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
While I can appreciate your motives here... I'd rather turn up the fireplace and chase the Missus around just a little bit! :shocked:

:agree: I feel your pain. I wanted to convert part of the living room into indoor storage for my :spyder2: but Shirley wasn't having any part of that, and I certainly don't want to end up sleeping outside next to it. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

cjackg
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
You must have a heated garage, right? :clap:

Just keep the fasteners for each part bagged, and with the body part, and you won't have problems putting things back together.
Good luck. :2thumbs:

Now, there's a good idea.... too late this time, so I'll just have to fumble through it when I start putting it back together in a couple of weeks!

The garage is enclosed but not heated but I am able to get it up to 60 or so using a propane heater.

cjackg
01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Here's what I did to my RT during the icy weather in January:

- Replaced 2010 front shocks with 2011 shocks
- Installed Juice Box Pro
- Replaced stock air filter with a Green Filter
- Replaced stock horn with a Stebel Nautilius Compact Airhorn
- Added a dual 12v outlet inside the Frunk
- Replaced the round dash gauges with digital voltmeter & air-temp gauges
- Installed an LED light with switch in the Trunk Lid
- Installed 4 BikeVis Bullet LED accent lights on the front (more to come)
- Installed a few Dzus fittings
- Removed both underside splash panels to simplify oil changes
- Lubed all the RT grease fittings
- Replaced Taillight bulb with an LED bulb
- Replaced Fendertip lights with LED bulbs
- Replaced stock battery with a MotoBatt (2-yr warranty)
- Rewired all front-end LED light wiring to include quick disconnects for Frunk removal
- Added a 3.5mm MP3 Socket in the Glove Box, wired to the BRP connector in the Trunk
- Corrected the error switch-jumper for "Rear Cargo Door Open" warning
- Replaced stock Windscreen with ESI Short/Wide windscreen

Only had time for a quick ride today after I got it all back together but I can already feel improvement with both the 2011 shocks and the JB Pro. I have the shocks on the mid setting for now and they sure did feel better, but firm too. I ran the Juice Box on Zero-Map first, then activated the TBR Map for TwoBros pipe. What a difference! The backfiring disappeared immediately and everything felt smoother. A longer ride is needed to get the full impact of these changes.

Now we am getting ready to load up the Spyder and head for sunny Florida for a break from the winter. We'll be in the Tampa Bay area, Feb 9-16. Hope to meet some Florida Spyder folks while we are there.

Jack

You can see pictures of some of the mods in my album:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1172 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1172)

Lamonster
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Sounds like you got a lot done. I really like this idea :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1172&pictureid=13432

cjackg
01-31-2011, 09:25 PM
The Dzus fittings shown there are clip-ons, but I found the rivet mounted Dzus fittings preferable. They came with D-rings but I took them off. They tighten the panels down much more firmly than the BRP plastic fittings.

SPYDERGUY1
01-31-2011, 09:40 PM
I wish, it was like that here, snowbanks are OVER EIGHT FEET HIGH, and minus 32 degrees, NASTY NASTY NASTY. Will post a pic a.s.a.p. of SPYDER in the SNOW. Gunna be a long time waiting for spring. Had to buy a snowplow for the front of the truck as the snowblower could not cut it anymore.

SpyderWolf
01-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Glad to hear you got all of that done, and the Spyder is running well for you. Have a great time in Florida, and ryde safe. :thumbup: