PDA

View Full Version : Licensing in Texas

aka1004
01-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I could use some info from folks in Texas.
I know that spyder is just another motorcycle in Texas but will they let's you take skill test on spyder? What kinda paperwork are required if you are moving from another state? License from previous state, social and anything else?
Does state of Texas hands your permanent licence right then and there or mailed?

Thank you in advance.

Pappy and Nanna
01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Welcome to Texas. He is at least part of what you are asking. If you have a motorcycle license from another state you do not have to take a skills test. Yest a skills test can be taken on a spyder. When you apply for a Texas license you will need to have, your current license from the other state, social security card, original or certified copy of birth cert., current isnsurance card and Texas registration of the spyder. Hope that helps you out some, what part of Texas you moving to?

aka1004
01-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Welcome to Texas. He is at least part of what you are asking. If you have a motorcycle license from another state you do not have to take a skills test. Yest a skills test can be taken on a spyder. When you apply for a Texas license you will need to have, your current license from the other state, social security card, original or certified copy of birth cert., current isnsurance card and Texas registration of the spyder. Hope that helps you out some, what part of Texas you moving to?

Dallas area and thank you.
California does not require motorcycle license for spyder so I guess will have to take skills test and may be even written test if they have a seperate one for motorcycle.
Do you get your permanent license on the spot?

Pappy and Nanna
01-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry I forgot about answering that question. Yes they give you a temp. permit on the spot and then mail you the actual license 4 to 6 week later. What they required when I got my motorcycle endorcement years ago and as far as I know still the requirements is to take and pass a written test (hint brush up on hand signals) then take the skills test. The way the skills test works here is you ride the spyder ahead of the DPS officer who is following you in a car and he blows the horn once you turn right and he blows the horn twice and you turn left. He takes you on about a 10 min ride and then signs off on you skills test. Again that was how it was when I did mine years ago and how it was done a few years ago when my son got his. Now that is also how it is here in a much smaller town that Dallas, in a city they may have a different program. Good luck and welcome to Texas. Oh yea one more thing the list of documents is the same for a car license as well.

aka1004
01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Thank you. Thank you.

rogerb
01-06-2011, 06:19 PM
I just found something interesting that has to do with this thread. Go to the BRP webb site and on the home page at the bottom they list different sites for information. First collum fourth from the bottom is a site called liscencing. Click on it and pick the state you want and it will give you general information and the states webb site for more info. Nice touch BRP. :thumbup:

ataDude
01-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I could use some info from folks in Texas...

Look me up when you get moved in. I'm in Allen... a little north of Dallas.

woodchuck
01-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I could use some info from folks in Texas.
I know that spyder is just another motorcycle in Texas but will they let's you take skill test on spyder? What kinda paperwork are required if you are moving from another state? License from previous state, social and anything else?
Does state of Texas hands your permanent licence right then and there or mailed?

Thank you in advance.

I don't know about Texas but in some states if you take your test on a three wheel motorcycle, that is all you can drive legally.

Phil
01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
I'm in Tyler, about 90 minutes East of Dallas. Come see us here!!

I took the Basic Riders Course and all I needed was the written test. With the course (2 days) and the book, I aced the DPS test. I walked out with a temp permit and the perminant one came in about 2 weeks.

Texmac1011
01-07-2011, 06:47 AM
I'm in Tyler, about 90 minutes East of Dallas. Come see us here!!

I took the Basic Riders Course and all I needed was the written test. With the course (2 days) and the book, I aced the DPS test. I walked out with a temp permit and the perminant one came in about 2 weeks.

Phil,
Did you take the course on 2 wheels or three? I ask only because my better half would take a 3 wheel class to get her license, but she won't ride 2 wheels.

I took the standard class on the little 2 wheel bike.

Best Regards

usurp31
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm near Allen also; let's all have a meet up soon. :chat:

aka1004
01-07-2011, 11:23 AM
It's not 100% done deal but we shall get together. :2thumbs:

Phil
01-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Phil,
Did you take the course on 2 wheels or three? I ask only because my better half would take a 3 wheel class to get her license, but she won't ride 2 wheels.
I took the standard class on the little 2 wheel bike.
Best Regards

2 wheels. They provided the bikes (12 per class). BUT... they do have a 3 wheel class that I THINK is for refresher and advanced drivers. Here's their site- http://www.motorsportstc.com/

I rode as a kid and in college, back when no license was required and hadn't been on a bike for about 40 years. I kept moaning about it. So for Christmas 2 years ago, my wife got me a gift certificate to the course with a note that said- "put up or shut up old man"! I finally worked up the nerve and it is the BEST thing I have done. It's one of those things that while it might be very slow and boring for a well experienced rider, getting the basics in life never hurts. We had some WELL seasoned drivers in my class that took it to finally become legal.

aka1004
01-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Which small town within 100 miles Of Dallas that has dps office and slow enough for me to get everything done in one day?
Register spyder, get regular license changed over, take written test for mitocycle AND take skill test. P:D

dave711
01-07-2011, 06:22 PM
I didn't have the motrocycle imdorsement for a few years and was told by dps that you had to take the safety course for the driving portion... Maybe just our county...that was last year so I took the course on 2 wheels... the course is so tight that the spyder can not turn that sharp, but the instructor said that dps was working on a 3 wheel course. just fyi...:chat:

Phil
01-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Which small town within 100 miles Of Dallas that has dps office and slow enough for me to get everything done in one day?
Register spyder, get regular license changed over, take written test for mitocycle AND take skill test. P:D

Registration will need to be done in your own county I'm pretty sure. The DPS office here in Tyler had me in the door, number taken, cakked to do my test (written), chcked the test, filled in a few papers and out the door in about 90 minutes. DO check with them before you head this way to be sure what they'll allow you to do.

I know there are offices closer to Dallas that are smallish, but that's my experience.

scudrunner
01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Lots of old information here. Texas now requires you to take the motorcycle safety course instead of riding in front of a DPS officer. No, you are not limited to a 3 wheeler if you take it on a Spyder, Texas doesn't have a restricted MC endorsement. But the course isn't set up for a Spyder and you may not be able to pass. We just took ours on the supplied 125 Kawas. The written exam doesn't put emphasis on hand signals. Motorcycles are required to have turn signals now.
Safety courses are offered in lots of locations, many of the community colleges sponsor the course.
Here's a good web site to start.
http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/motorcycle-license.php

aka1004
01-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Thank you all.
I have not been on a 2 wheeler in 22 years...
That safety course is for beginners right? How much actual training before you take the test if there is a test?

Yfactor
01-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Thank you all.
That safety course is for beginners right? How much actual training before you take the test if there is a test?

In VA they use 250 Suzuki and all experience levels make up a class from those that have never been on a bike to those that have been riding for years. Most of the long time riders are there due to tickets for being caught without a license. Strange thing is a lot of those that are rank beginners score better than those that have been riding for years. The beginners did better due to no bad habits to break. This course is two full days with both written and skills tests being given on the second day. All the material for both tests are covered fully with lots of help for those that need it. Upon completion you are given a certificate which you take to DMV and they give you your endorsement. You can ride on the certificate for 30 days before you have to go to DMV. I had not ridden in over 25 years when I took the course and have to admit it seemed so simple (for me). It was hovering around 98 deg. both days and in full gear that was more like 100+ deg.
:shemademe_smilie: :yes: :spyder:

scudrunner
01-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, the course is for beginners. I hadn't been on a 2 wheeler since 1979. There were several people who had never been on a 2 wheeler before. It isn't hard, 1/2 day of class, short test then 1 1/2 days on the course with a driving test at the end. Again, it isn't hard. You are pretty much guaranteed to pass unless you drop your bike... like the 2 beginners did. Stupid mistakes, but they didn't pass.
For the written test, I just waltzed into the DPS license place, showed my certificate from the safety class and asked to take the test. Common sense test, most of which was taught in the class.

hjazzyherm
05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
California does not require motorcycle license for spyder so I guess will have to take skills test and may be even written test if they have a seperate one for motorcycle.

I'm a Texican who lives in the Sacramento area of California. Even the California Highway Patrol (CHP) are sometimes confused on licensing requirements here. That's why I went ahead and got my Motorcycle endorsement on my license. It cost me around $250 to take the safety course offered by the Office of Traffic Safety here. I wanted to attend the Motor Officer's Course, which costs around $600. The rationale was that I hadn't been on a motorcycle in 30 years! Ha! But I'm coming to Fort Worth next month (Mid-June) and hope I don't have any difficulties with law enforcement there. Only a motor vehicle license is required here in California, but the motorcycle endorsement makes it cleaner, just in case the sheriff or DPS aren't that sharp on the vehicle code.:ohyea:

hjazzyherm
05-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Thank you all.

Speaking only of the California Safety Course, I'm glad I attended. It's a three-day course here and $250. they provide the motorcycle, usually as big as a Honda 750. here, they started off by classroom instruction and if you didn't pass the classroom (technical stuff), rules of the road, using the "SEE" technique Search, Evaluate, and Execute, you didn't get a chance to go on the road. They have the course marked off. But you start by power walking the bike (two wheel only) across the parking lot (big azzed one too) about a hundered times til you can't stand up. THEN you start the engine. Oh it's fun, in a mean kinda way! But when you leave, you'll at least be reasonably competent. Then youpractice, practice, practice. Just recently, California is permitting Spyder owners to use their Spyders for the road skills test. Piece of cake. I'm wondering what Texas is doing since they recently increased the speed limit to 80 mph! Jesus, do you think that's fast enough? Almost like driving in Germany! Won't be enough to bury at that speed!:hun:

hjazzyherm
05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
In VA they use 250 Suzuki and all experience levels make up a class from those that have never been on a bike to those that have been riding for years. Most of the long time riders are there due to tickets for being caught without a license. Strange thing is a lot of those that are rank beginners score better than those that have been riding for years. The beginners did better due to no bad habits to break. This course is two full days with both written and skills tests being given on the second day. All the material for both tests are covered fully with lots of help for those that need it. Upon completion you are given a certificate which you take to DMV and they give you your endorsement. You can ride on the certificate for 30 days before you have to go to DMV. I had not ridden in over 25 years when I took the course and have to admit it seemed so simple (for me). It was hovering around 98 deg. both days and in full gear that was more like 100+ deg.
:shemademe_smilie: :yes: :spyder:

Sounds just like what I experienced here in California! We had some OGs (Old time Harley guys) that had been pulled over once too many times. but they were also the first ones in the course that laid their tiny bikes down. The "Box" was the trickiest, ding figure 8s in a tiny box, the "swerve and brake", the 360, all geared to see how much control you had. But the instructors were firm and fair. But if you didn't pass, you didn't get your money back...but they gave you a second chance to get it right. I enjoyed the course, although the new riders showed us all up! they seemed to breeze through everything. Funny how that works!!!:firstplace:

hjazzyherm
05-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Look me up when you get moved in. I'm in Allen... a little north of Dallas.

Every now and then I've usually been the one who peed on the electric fence...BEFORE the dare was issued!!!! Ha! Durn Fool!:yikes:

hjazzyherm
05-06-2011, 04:10 PM

I live in Northern California and immediately after getting my Spyder, I signed up for the Safety Course. Since it's emphasized a LOT here, I didn't want anything close to a hassle by CHP, cit police, or the Sheriff's Office. They can be quite rude to motorcyclists. The 2-3 day course went over the entire motorcycle handbook. Most of us aced the test, which was a condition of continuing on in the course. A few didn't pass the test. That included some older guys that drove their Harleys to the class! They had to walk home! But they put us through a lot before they told us that we were being evaluated for the 'skills" protion of the class. But what was so neat was that we literally went through the skills portion all day long, until the last segment included the evaluation. We got our certificates, went to DMV where we took another test (rules of the road), and eye exam, and a temporary license pending the receipt of the actual endorsement on your license. My license was re-issued with the new endorsement affixed to the license. Good to go! And it was for the two-wheel since our skills test was on a two-wheel (mine was a Honda 750)...that's how you get around it i think. But recently DMV is allowing operators to use their Spyders. I don't know how that works for two-wheel motorcycle endorsements. They will figure it out. I like it because I can comfortably ride in the Diamond lane!:f_spider:

Phil
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
The "Box" was the trickiest, ding figure 8s in a tiny box, the "swerve and brake", the 360, all geared to see how much control you had. But the instructors were firm and fair. But if you didn't pass, you didn't get your money back...but they gave you a second chance to get it right. I enjoyed the course, although the new riders showed us all up! they seemed to breeze through everything. Funny how that works!!!:firstplace:

12250That was the same here in Tyler Tx. We had a mix of guys like me that hadn't ridden in 30 years, all the way to teens. We all used 250's and the instructors were VERY fair. I used these guys-- http://www.motorsportstc.com/ . You are so right about the figure 8s!! I only put a foot down once but I was beating myself up about doing that:(. Anywho... I HIGHLY recommend it for even the most experienced rider.

Texmac1011
05-06-2011, 06:06 PM
There is a place in Cedar Hill (www.alertrider.com (http://www.alertrider.com)) that offers a 3 wheel course for a motorcycle license. My wife is going next week. I believe there is also a place in Denton, but I have no info on it. The 2 wheel class is no big deal, but my wife won't ride 2 wheels.

I took the 2 wheel class (250cc bikes) and it was very helpful in passing the written test. I would not have passed the test without it. I have a friend who has been riding forever, didn't take the class and couldn't pass the written test.

oceanbreeze851
05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I had rode motorcycles in the past but I did not have the endosement. I live North of Austin but traveled to San Antonio for the Motorcycle School. 250 cc Kawasaki for 21/2 days. All the skills were completed at the school and signed off for DPS. I took the written test and applied for my license in San Antonio. Looking back at my experience at school it would have been a lot easier on a spyder.

docdoru
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm wondering what Texas is doing since they recently increased the speed limit to 80 mph! Jesus, do you think that's fast enough? Almost like driving in Germany! Won't be enough to bury at that speed!:hun:
No, it's not.:D

arvoaussie
05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I just did the alertbike and it was great...a bit tough but well worth it...they make sure your ready..I took the basic on two wheel because it just seemed to make sense...now I am 51 old fat man and made it so should be easy enough for you...LOL...All i have left to do is go take the test at the dmv and I am ready to go. Bratton was the instructor and he is amazing.

spyderdiva
05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi,

My husband is an certified instructor for the State of Texas.

Texas no longer gives road test at the DPS Office. You must attend a state certified class to get your license.

If you have a license from another state you can transfer it to this state without taking the motorcycle safety course.