PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Group Riding protocol?

OldDog
01-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I have ridden a number of times in motorcycle group rides in a standard staggered formation with riders of different skill levels. I've had a few close calls based on these varying skill levels. That being said, what is the proper riding protocol for Spyder group rides? i will assume it is single file given the Spyders wider stance in the lane. Comments from the experienced Spyder riders? I'm a newbie to Spyder riding.

Thanks,
Old Dog :opps:

aka1004
01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I have organized few spyder rydes and a single file is a must only to double up to cross a stop sign but in most cases, when people see that many spyders coming down, they stop and waive you by most of times:2thumbs:

retread
01-03-2011, 08:12 PM
A lot of times it helps to stagger even the Spyders, as long as you can maintain spacing. By this I mean favoring alternate sides of the same lane.

john

aka1004
01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes. Single file, staggered.
Enough to break lights of spyder that's ahead of the spyder in front of you are visible.

NancysToy
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
:agree: Single file, staggered for maximum visibility ahead...as road conditions permit. If riding in a mixed group, Spyders and other three wheelers should ride at the back of the group or subgraoup...although in some instances they may lead. If a three-wheeler does become mixed into a group of bikes, he or she should maintain the appropriate interval to the closest vehicle ahead...not the one staggered at his/her side of the lane. Signals and spacing, as well as other ride rules and conventions, should be gone over by the road captain before the ride begins. JMHO

bone crusher
01-03-2011, 09:13 PM
:agree: Single file, staggered for maximum visibility ahead...as road conditions permit. If riding in a mixed group, Spyders and other three wheelers should ride at the back of the group or subgraoup...although in some instances they may lead. If a three-wheeler does become mixed into a group of bikes, he or she should maintain the appropriate interval to the closest vehicle ahead...not the one staggered at his/her side of the lane. Signals and spacing, as well as other ride rules and conventions, should be gone over by the road captain before the ride begins. JMHO

:agree: I ride mostly with two wheelers and we usually alternate where we are in the line...when in the middle, I'll favor one side just a little (staggered) so the person behind me can see beyond me...I always leave plenty of space...never an issue with this...

Many times, the two wheelers like to have the Spyder at the rear as it's always easier for us to claim a lane first (once the lead rider decides to make a lane change)...then the others in front drop in once the lane is secured...(referring to a highway here)...the Spyder is bigger and wider...more visible...

docdoru
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
1. Most two experience ryders: leader and tail ender.
2. Single line with staggered formation: ryde on the left side of the lane if you're the leader, stay behind on the right side if you're next in line. Take the left position two seconds behind the first if you're third in the pack, and maintain a three-second cushion behind and to the right if you're fourth. This configuration keeps everyone close without riding in tandem or reducing following distances.
3. The tail ender set the pace, not the leader. Use your mirrors to keep an eye on the Spyder behind you, and remember, if he or she falls back, everyone upfront should slow down to keep the group together. :doorag:

Bob Denman
01-04-2011, 07:48 AM
And what distance for the spacing do you guys think might work best? I always want to spread folks out to a bit more than 2 seconds so that there's room for folks who forget to pay attention; just in case things get ugly... :shocked:

Roger
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
When i do benefit rides i prefer to be last but i have been asked to lead also. I explain that by being last i maybe able to protect the 2 wheelers from being hit from behind by a cager. If i'am last then i will line up directly behind the last 2 wheeler other wise i ride staggered. :chat:

Magic Man
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
We ride single file but in a "staggered" line.

First Spyder with the left front wheel next to the inside line, the next Spyder with the right front wheel next to the outside line.

Just like with bikes this allows for the most room to move if there should be a problem.

MM

chascarpenter1
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I always ride single-staggered except in the twisties but remember when riding with a mix group the spyders breaking abilities are not quite up to snuff when compared to traditional two wheelers so I would leave about 3 seconds plus.

chascarpenter1
01-04-2011, 02:12 PM
1. Most two experience ryders: leader and tail ender.
2. Single line with staggered formation: ryde on the left side of the lane if you're the leader, stay behind on the right side if you're next in line. Take the left position two seconds behind the first if you're third in the pack, and maintain a three-second cushion behind and to the right if you're fourth. This configuration keeps everyone close without riding in tandem or reducing following distances.
3. The tail ender set the pace, not the leader. Use your mirrors to keep an eye on the Spyder behind you, and remember, if he or she falls back, everyone upfront should slow down to keep the group together. :doorag:

The pace setter is a great point. Group riding is a team activity so if your out to set speed records you should probably ride solo.

fispyder
01-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I haven't ridden with any spyders yet, only seen 2 on the road beside mine. I ride with 2 wheelers most of the time riding in the back seems like cars stay further back if it a 3 wheeler (spyder) :2thumbs:

bruiser
01-04-2011, 06:47 PM
All of my group riding is normally with two wheelers. I always try to be the tailgunner. In the group I ride with most, this is an unspoken rule. New Years day I rode with another group and ended up in the middle of the pack with a tri glide in front of me. I kept my spacing to three to four seconds because of the wet roads and my position in the pack. By doing this I effectively split the pack into two smaller groups allowing for safer riding conditions. I wanted to be tailgunner but the second in command waved me out sooner. When I do ride tailgunner I ride offset of the last rider in line.

MoonChaser213
01-04-2011, 07:42 PM
When you ryde with Huligan, it's just KEEP UP:f_spider:

effgjamis
01-04-2011, 08:24 PM
All the above is true.. However to make a point clear,
each rider has two well maybe three responsibilites.
1. Stay safe, and keep visability in the direction you are headed.
2. If the rider behind you, falls back, pulls over or looks as if a problem, slow down and follow him to stop or ?? The riders behind him will see this issue but the front riders will not, so keep the rider behind in your mirror.
3. Signal when changing lanes, turns etc.. Try and give a good notice of intent.

effgjamis
01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
When you ryde with Huligan, it's just KEEP UP:f_spider:

You have to have a bungee cord.. :yikes::roflblack::roflblack:

Desert Spyder
01-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm always the last in the formation with my 2 wheeling bike club. I'm the only trike which they want in back. I don't mind really. For it is written, "...last will be first and first will be last". Once they even let me lead the group....I had the GPS. :thumbup:

The bike club is well disciplined on the group rides. The maximum speed is 65 and there is no passing. We do need to divide up in groups so there'll be safety zones between the groups. I'll work on them.