PDA

View Full Version : conversion

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Need help from you "wiz kids" I have a customer who has a 2008 RS SM5.
He bought a pair of RT SE5 Seal FloorBoards thinking he could convert his RS SM5 to a SE5. I woun't process his order till I know if a manuel can be converted to a semi-auto. Is it possible. All comments are welcome. Thanks guys, and many great hrs. of riding in 2011.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal FloorBoards

Bob Denman
01-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi John!
Now I know as much about mechanicals as Hogs do about the Sabbath... but my guess is that anything is possible if enough cash is thrown in the direction of the project... :shocked:
The question then becomes "How much makes "enough" become "Too Dang much"?
If I was to guess (And that's all that this is!), I'd say that it's cheaper and easier to trade an SM-5 bike in for an SE-5 equipped one.

NancysToy
01-01-2011, 12:39 PM
It would take a Spyder tech to tell you what this involved. It probably could be done...but at a tremendous cost. I'd estimate several thousand dollars. The engine would have to be modified to accept the SE clutches and shift mechanism, tranny filter, etc. A Transmission Control Module would be needed, plus the appropriate wiring. The proper ECM and cluster programming would also be needed, which might not even be possible unless the components were compatible. Finally, the handlebar control module would need to be changed and wired. Whether any of this stuff would even talk to each other is a mystery.

Better off to convert the shifter using a Kliktronic (http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/) electric shifter, IMO.

wyliec
01-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Need help from you "wiz kids" I have a customer who has a 2008 RS SM5.
He bought a pair of RT SE5 Seal FloorBoards thinking he could convert his RS SM5 to a SE5. I woun't process his order till I know if a manuel can be converted to a semi-auto. Is it possible. All comments are welcome. Thanks guys, and many great hrs. of riding in 2011.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal FloorBoards

Why buy RT floorboards if he was trying to convert an RS from an SM5 to SE5?

SPYDERGUY1
01-01-2011, 02:20 PM
I am kinda in the same boat, ned to know if the seal floorboards will work from a 2008 se5 to a 2008 sm5. not sure if the foot shifter would be an issue or if the brake pedal is the same either. any ideas.

wyliec
01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I am kinda in the same boat, ned to know if the seal floorboards will work from a 2008 se5 to a 2008 sm5. not sure if the foot shifter would be an issue or if the brake pedal is the same either. any ideas.

I almost purchased the seal floorboards for an RS SE5 when someone here was selling them. I have a GS/RS SM5 and by looking at the pics. on the seal website, it looked like the only difference was the extended shifter that comes with the SM5 boards. But, before I had a chance to check further, those boards were sold.

Good question.

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Beats me!!! However I check every order to see if the customer has really ordered what he/she needs. This one is a true mystery but I want to do right by him. Therefore, this posting to my whiz kid :spyder2:friends. A few minutes on my end can avoid some hard feelings and unhappy people.

John
Seal FloorBoards

Why buy RT floorboards if he was trying to convert an RS from an SM5 to SE5?

SpyderWolf
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
There are many good reasons the SE5 is a $1500 option from the factory. As Scotty stated, attempting to convert might be a futile effort at best.

I would expect the SM5 floorboard to work just fine with an SE5 Spyder, as even though the space for the shifter is there you wouldn't have the shifter. I would not expect it to work the other way around though. The brakes are the same, so that shouldn't be an issue on the right side.

wyliec
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
There are many good reasons the SE5 is a $1500 option from the factory. As Scotty stated, attempting to convert might be a futile effort at best.

I would expect the SM5 floorboard to work just fine with an SE5 Spyder, as even though the space for the shifter is there you wouldn't have the shifter. I would not expect it to work the other way around though. The brakes are the same, so that shouldn't be an issue on the right side.

So, then the pics. on the seal floorboard site are not representative for the RS SM5 & SE5? B/C they both appear to show the same slot where the shifter would be on the SM5.

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 03:46 PM
NO ONE SELLS SEAL FLOORBOARDS EXCEPT ME!!! I have no dealers and no one has ever stocked them. Nor am I aware of anyone who has sold the ones threy bought from me. I spent a ton of money applying for a patent on them and would like to know if anyone is trying to knock me off. If anyone hears of a similar offer, please let me know. Thanks all.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

I almost purchased the seal floorboards for an RS SE5 when someone here was selling them. I have a GS/RS SM5 and by looking at the pics. on the seal website, it looked like the only difference was the extended shifter that comes with the SM5 boards. But, before I had a chance to check further, those boards were sold.

Good question.

SpyderWolf
01-01-2011, 03:50 PM
So, then the pics. on the seal floorboard site are not representative for the RS SM5 & SE5? B/C they both appear to show the same slot where the shifter would be on the SM5.

Good catch Wylie! I just checked the web site again, and see the floorboards are the same for the RS SM5 and SE5, with the only difference being the extended shifter for the SM5 kit. I must have had a memory lapse and was thinking about the RT SE5 version, as that does not have the slit for the shifter. :thumbup: Sorry about that. :opps:

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 04:01 PM
You could transfer a set off Seal FloorBoards from a RS SE5 to an RS SM5 of any year. You would only need to add my Foot Shifter extension which is $50. plus freight. You would have to pay by check because PayPal would not recognize such an order. For more info. PM me and we'll work it out. However, you cannot go from an SE SM5 to a RS SE5 Can't go from manuel to semi-auto type transmission.

John
Seal FloorBoards

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Your right, I have a shift extender for the SM5 that will allow an RS SE5 to convert to an RS SE5. No problem. You just cant go from SM5 to SE5. Diff. trans.

John
Seal FloorBoards

Good question.

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Ok guys,

Here's the straight scoop. The RS SM5 and the RS SE5 FloorBoards are identical. The only difference is the RS SM5 comes with a foot Shift extender.
The foot shift extender is included in the RS SM5 a part of the set. If someone wanted to swap FloorBoards from a RS SET to a RS SM5 it would be no problem. You would have to order the foot shift extender for $50. PM me for more info. You just can't go visa versa because of the clutch type manuel trans. Hope this clears things up. Sounds like lomeone upgraded from an RS to an RT and wanted to sell all the mods he could.

Ride in Comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
It would have worked with the addition of the foot Shift Extender. Keep reading the other threads.

John
Seal floorBoards

Good question.

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 04:36 PM
he Pictures are correct. Both Floorboards are identical excet for the RS SM5 shift extension. It is available separately if your trying to change over PM me for details.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal FloorBoards

QUOTE=wyliec;275130]So, then the pics. on the seal floorboard site are not representative for the RS SM5 & SE5? B/C they both appear to show the same slot where the shifter would be on the SM5.[/QUOTE]

SpyderWolf
01-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok guys,

Here's the straight scoop. The RS SM5 and the RS SE5 FloorBoards are identical. The only difference is the RS SM5 comes with a foot Shift extender.
The foot shift extender is included in the RS SM5 a part of the set. If someone wanted to swap FloorBoards from a RS SET to a RS SM5 it would be no problem. You would have to order the foot shift extender for $50. PM me for more info. You just can't go visa versa because of the clutch type manuel trans. Hope this clears things up. Sounds like lomeone upgraded from an RS to an RT and wanted to sell all the mods he could.

Ride in Comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

:2thumbs:

Thanks for the clarification John.

wyliec
01-01-2011, 05:14 PM
NO ONE SELLS SEAL FLOORBOARDS EXCEPT ME!!! I have no dealers and no one has ever stocked them. Nor am I aware of anyone who has sold the ones threy bought from me. I spent a ton of money applying for a patent on them and would like to know if anyone is trying to knock me off. If anyone hears of a similar offer, please let me know. Thanks all.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23726

John,

No one is trying to sell knock offs. If you read the thread, they were switching b/c they had a $500 gift certificate at ISCI.

Sorry for any confusion.

sealfloorboards
01-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks all for the givr and take. All the RS SE5, SM5, RT, A, B, C etc. Has had my groggy head swimming. I have been in bed with Dengue Fever since Dec. 22nd and am not quite running on all cylinders yer. All I can tell you is if you have an RS SM5 you can use either RS FloorBoards as long asyou have a foot shift extender (which is included in the SM5).

Back to bed,
John

\QUOTE=wyliec;275159]http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23726

John,

No one is trying to sell knock offs. If you read the thread, they were switching b/c they had a $500 gift certificate at ISCI.

Sorry for any confusion.[/QUOTE]

Barbary
01-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Beats me!!! However I check every order to see if the customer has really ordered what he/she needs. This one is a true mystery but I want to do right by him. Therefore, this posting to my whiz kid :spyder2:friends. A few minutes on my end can avoid some hard feelings and unhappy people.

John
Seal FloorBoards

that is CUSTOMER SERVICE... :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

sealfloorboards
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
No sweet wyliec,

I'm a bit under the weather and just got a bit overprotective about my Baby.
Thanks for straightening me out.

John (on the mend)
Seal FloorBoards

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23726

John,

Sorry for any confusion.