PDA

View Full Version : GWRRA and Spyders

Lamonster
12-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Got this from a friend of mine and thought it was a interesting read. :doorag:

Thought you might find the email below interesting. It was just sent out to all 50 Districts and 600-plus Chapters of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, officially endorsing the Can-Am Spyders as qualified for safety training and certification within the GWRRA.
This is a large step toward accepting the Spyders and their owners as full members of the largest single-marque motorcycling organization in the world, but I find it particularly interesting that the International Directors of Rider Education gave as their reasoning for investigating the Spyders that...
...many of our members have purchased the Can Am Spyder ...

You might also note that Voyagers, Insta-Trike and Tow-Pac conversions have been specifically excluded from participating.
This is a notable step forward for the Spyder in acceptance by the touring community.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( Please distribute to all District/Chapters)

Greetings and Happy Holidays,

During the past 7 months, I have been inundated with questions about permitting Can Am Spyders into our GWRRA Trike Courses. Initially, we knew very little about the Can Am Spyder, but in an attempt to serve the members, we began our quest for knowledge of it's stability and operation.

The initial contact we had with the manufacturer, Bombardier Recreational Products of Canada produced very little cooperation in obtaining information of their product. We continued to seek information, going to multiple dealers who Welcomed the inquiries and readily offered us a Spyder to test ride.

During the S.M.S.A. ( State Motorcycle Safety Administrators) conference in Columbus, Ohio, we were able to discuss the Spyder at great length with Cundiff Simmons of the Virginia Rider Education Program. Cundiff is a leader in the Motorcycle Instruction field and highly respected among his peers.

He had brought several of the Spyders with him and conducted demonstrations as to what the machine could do safely, and it's limitations.

At this point we had learned that the Spyder isn't a trike in the "traditional " sense of the word, as it sports two front wheels and a single rear wheel. It does not LEAN!

It has dual (A) arms complimenting a single rear shock. The frame is a "Y" shaped cradle surrounding the 990cc V-twin engine, which is liquid cooled.

Additionally, the computer does compensate when it senses a loss of traction by the Spyder, which lends to increased control.

The "Triangle of Stability" does not appear to be different that a conventional trike. While from initial observation it may appear to be off center, it does not physically move as long as the rider/co-rider maintain a centralized seating position as called for in the TRC course material.

During an Instructors course in Huntsville, Alabama, (2) Can Am Spyders participated in the Trike Class under close supervision of several Master Instructors and a Master Instructor Trainer. Everyone commented as to it's ability to not only complete the Trike Course, but to excel at it.

It should be noted that this testing on the TRC was done under less than favorable weather conditions as it was raining at times very heavily.

The only exercise the Spyder could not complete, is the OPTIONAL exercise, #11 which is the voluntary wheel lift. The computer on the Spyder simply would not allow for the lifting of the wheels.

My interest having been peaked, the next opportunity was to actually test ride a Spyder in St. Petersburg, Florida. The manager of the dealership offered to let me ride one to test, but I don't think he was ready for me to test it so vigorously. With full protective gear, I put the Spyder through tight corners, swerving/evasive maneuvers, emergency braking, and basically tried to "defeat" it's reputation as being stable.

However, my finding was that it is a stable motorcycle having withstood everything I threw at it.

As all of you are aware, we do not take lightly the responsibility of making certain that our Riding Courses are designed with the intent of Rider Safety to the max. Our members look to us with trust, that when GWRRA provides a riding course, it is done with the knowledge that all of the exercises are designed to be very safe.

Our Instructors are trained to provide the ultimate Rider Instruction, with the maximum effort placed on providing a safe educational experience.

With all of this being said, after the testing, gathering of information and consultation with our Instructors, and the Director of GWRRA, I have made a decision as it pertains to admitting Can Am Spyders into the GWRRA Trike Courses.

While many of our members have purchased the Can Am Spyder, it was our responsibility to them, to make certain that any courses provided would be safe and enjoyable. In our associations philosophy of always trying to work for and with the members, I have decided to permit the Can Am Spyder to participate in GWRRA Trike Courses effective January 01, 2011.

Riders and Co-Riders of Can Am Spyders will be subject to the same requirements of all participants of GWRRA Riding Courses. Wearing of Proper Riding Gear at all times will be required.

We are pleased to be able to meet the needs of the members by providing opportunities for safe riding education. The admission of the Can Am Spyder was not made hastily, but only in the sense that we want our members to be as safe as possible on our ranges.

There will be some who now ask about the admission of 4 wheel vehicles such as Voyager Kits, Insta-trikes, and Tow Paks into our courses. These vehicles are unsafe in my opinion, and not able to participate in GWRRA riding courses. Having observed and ridden some of these in testing, I found that by having a moving central drive wheel, with two stagnant outer wheels, the stability of the bike becomes questionable.

They are however, Welcome to take part in Parking Lot Practices to keep their riding skills sharp.

I wish to thank all of our Instructors who have tirelessly worked to provide the information needed to make this decision. Rest assured that all of our members are central to every issue as it relates to Rider Education. A very special Thank You goes to Mike Stiger, Director of GWRRA for his commitment to this issue, and support of the Rider Education Program.

Yfactor
12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
This speaks well of our chosen ride :spyder2:. :2thumbs: :clap::yes:

JJW SpyderRider
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for sharing Lamont. Having the GWRRA accept the Spyder into their group and state how stable the Spyder is means a lot. They just confirmed what we Spyder owners already know. :thumbup:

I did like the part about the Optional test #11, the Spyder could not complete this unsafe test of lifting the front wheels even on propose.

Bob Denman
12-27-2010, 12:24 PM
:2thumbs: When the GWRRA acknowledges that we exist, we're already more than halfway there! :2thumbs:
Thanks for the info Lamont!

Big Arm
12-27-2010, 12:35 PM
:2thumbs: Thanks for sharing :clap:

SilverSurfer
12-27-2010, 12:50 PM
A BRP-Honda partnership which fields a large form-factor Spyder with a GL1800 enjine in it.:ohyea:

Great news from GWRRA

IWN2RYD
12-27-2010, 12:58 PM
This is a big deal. It is refreshing to see the detail of their research before even getting to the point of looking to make a decision. :clap::2thumbs:

One small comment. We took the Trike License course offered by Evergreen Motorcycle Safety (http://www.esc.org/motorcycle.php) and can say without any doubt... The RS and RT made the majority of the training that must be second nature on the traditional trike and Sidecars... Nonexistent on the RS and RT's.

These Spyders made their course look like it was designed for a 13 year old learning to drive. In other words it was not a challenge for the bikes.

However the education/knowledge gained by taking their course is worth far to much to ignore. Not to mention we actually found out the limits of our RT and as a result can say the Spyders limits are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay farther to get to than we thought it would be. Almost to the point of scary and can lead to over confidence mistakes, but easily recoverable as you get the friendly reminder from Granny :D.

P.S. Rad a bit of good info here (Link) (http://reversetrike.com/home.html)

capt jim
12-27-2010, 01:00 PM
was a member of gwrra a few years ago. very gratifing they have accepted us. capt jim

Neez
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
So the Goldwing guys are going to teach us how to ryde? Well, er, um, that's nice, (I guess?). Seriously though, it is gratifying that they recognise the stability of our machines and I'm sure their trike training contains valuable insights that all three wheelers could make use of.

ataDude
12-27-2010, 02:43 PM
So the Goldwing guys are going to teach us how to ryde? Well, er, um, that's nice, (I guess?). Seriously though, it is gratifying that they recognise the stability of our machines and I'm sure their trike training contains valuable insights that all three wheelers could make use of.

Try this on for size (guy's road name is yellow wolf... and if I recall correctly, he set the record (unofficial) for the number of round trips on Deals Gap in a 24-hour period):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

Bob Denman
12-27-2010, 02:58 PM
:shocked: (I think I'm gonna puke...)

That Yellow Wolf can sure sling a 'Wing! :2thumbs:

Neez
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Impressive riding! But do you perchance have a video of somebody doing it on a Goldwing TRIKE?

wyliec
12-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Impressive riding! But do you perchance have a video of somebody doing it on a Goldwing TRIKE?

Good point. I missed it. I just assumed the rider was on a trike.

I was more impressed with the person following shooting the video.

SpyderBen
12-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Try this on for size (guy's road name is yellow wolf... and if I recall correctly, he set the record (unofficial) for the number of round trips on Deals Gap in a 24-hour period):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

You should see him riding the "Dragons Tail" live. You will be impressed.

Frig
12-27-2010, 04:44 PM
Last year I was invited to a local chapter meeting so they could check out the Spyder. They have a breakfast, raffle, then ride. I won $25 cash. It was a nice day with nice people. They all really liked the Spyder. There were 3 trikes there.

Firefly
12-27-2010, 05:43 PM
This is a really great thing--- although most of us seasoned riders could show them a thing or two I'm sure....;)

Give it time-- and they'll apply their vast knowledge to the Spyder and have some really good training I'm sure. BRP should be thrilled with this since they don't seem to offer any training.

SilverSurfer
12-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Gang,

Here's Part I of a 2-part'er of Deals Gap/Dragon on Goldwing Trikes. Gee those trikes are nice. Gee those riders ... Well, wait until just before about halfway through the vid ... and further on, when you see the lead and middle riders really cheating the curves ... clear into the opposing lane and even crossing the opposing lane shoulder stripe. Not the way to ride The Dragon on a Trike or Bike at any speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9aSwjKXdd0

BikerDoc
12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Even though the Spyder is unique in it own right, acceptance within the tradtional biking community can do nothing but help us!!!!!! Great news

Firefly
12-27-2010, 08:11 PM
:yikes: I couldn't watch the whole video. :gaah: :gaah: Man what a couple of idiots especially the guy in the lead! :lecturef_smilie:

:agree:

I can see touching the yellow line or maybe hanging a tire over it when you're really pushing it--- but these idiots take the cake.

So THAT'S how people get killed on the Dragon-----:yikes:

bruiser
12-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Really good news. I'd even be interested in taking the course. Think I'll look them up on line and see if there is a course close by.

Oldmanzues
12-27-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree the people on the trikes at the dragon are "not very smart people". One was over the line with a oncoming two wheel, who had to go way over to the right, not good.

But back to the subject. I am a "past due member" of GWRRA. Riding the Spyder was one issue, but there were a couple more which may be in the process of changing. So will let them go. I am wondering about full members or assiciates. Some position in GWRRA have to filled by Wing Riders. The trike course is very good. I took it on a 1300 VTX/motor trike converstion (Borrowed). Some class, some/most riding. Trike stuff, but also information that any motorcycle rider should know/use. I found most members were very nice. A few people like some HD people, if it isn't a ???, it is not a motorcycle.
They do have a lot of Rallys with vendors/ games/light parades, but bike shows and Top Gun (skill/speed comp) is all most all Wings. I did win second place at the MS rally two years ago on a GS/RS though.

They have lots of local chapters. You join national but can go to several chapters. There are usually several chapters within 30 miles or so) I would guess some would "like" Spyders, other not so much
I think it is a good thing abought allowing full membership. I may have to reconsider "past due status."
OldManZues

Star Cruiser
12-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Next stop HOG????

Impressive video at the Gap. I'll have to find a Spyder video for a comparison.
I found Lamonster tackling the Dragon on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Vk8hcVLic

Bob Denman
12-28-2010, 08:16 AM
:shocked: Stupid obviously has a fat wallet... Did it look like he was losing his front tire on a couple of the right-handers?? :shocked:

chris56
12-28-2010, 01:05 PM
here in the alps there is always the possibility that the rain is starting..
than NO goldwing-rider would be able to drive behind a spyder .. downhill the spyder is one of the "fastest" vehicle available .. (OK the RT is not the RS..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH4CtPdraWU

chris56
12-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Very nice video chris56! :thumbup: What type of camera were you using? It really adjusted nicely between the tunnels and outdoors lighting conditions.

use a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 .. tested the video-function the first time ..
(full automatic)

wyliec
12-29-2010, 08:37 AM
.. downhill the spyder is one of the "fastest" vehicle available .. (OK the RT is not the RS..)

That's due to the extra weight of the RT. Now, going up hill or on the flats, you'd be staring at the taillights of an RS.

Bob Denman
12-29-2010, 10:18 AM
:shocked: :roflblack:

Sarge707
12-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Good point. I missed it. I just assumed the rider was on a trike.

I was more impressed with the person following shooting the video.
Sounded like the person Shooting the video was on an MP3??

I wish I could ride that good!!:roflblack:

Sarge707
12-29-2010, 01:43 PM
:yikes: I couldn't watch the whole video. :gaah: :gaah: Man what a couple of idiots especially the guy in the lead! :lecturef_smilie:

They will get collected before long- Accidents waiting to happen!:gaah:

ARtraveler
12-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Great information. Thanks Lamont

MidTNDawg
02-28-2013, 03:48 PM
The owners are primarily interested in one thing - money.

Got this from a friend of mine and thought it was a interesting read. :doorag:

Thought you might find the email below interesting. It was just sent out to all 50 Districts and 600-plus Chapters of the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, officially endorsing the Can-Am Spyders as qualified for safety training and certification within the GWRRA.
This is a large step toward accepting the Spyders and their owners as full members of the largest single-marque motorcycling organization in the world, but I find it particularly interesting that the International Directors of Rider Education gave as their reasoning for investigating the Spyders that...
...many of our members have purchased the Can Am Spyder ...

You might also note that Voyagers, Insta-Trike and Tow-Pac conversions have been specifically excluded from participating.
This is a notable step forward for the Spyder in acceptance by the touring community.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( Please distribute to all District/Chapters)

Greetings and Happy Holidays,

During the past 7 months, I have been inundated with questions about permitting Can Am Spyders into our GWRRA Trike Courses. Initially, we knew very little about the Can Am Spyder, but in an attempt to serve the members, we began our quest for knowledge of it's stability and operation.

The initial contact we had with the manufacturer, Bombardier Recreational Products of Canada produced very little cooperation in obtaining information of their product. We continued to seek information, going to multiple dealers who Welcomed the inquiries and readily offered us a Spyder to test ride.

During the S.M.S.A. ( State Motorcycle Safety Administrators) conference in Columbus, Ohio, we were able to discuss the Spyder at great length with Cundiff Simmons of the Virginia Rider Education Program. Cundiff is a leader in the Motorcycle Instruction field and highly respected among his peers.

He had brought several of the Spyders with him and conducted demonstrations as to what the machine could do safely, and it's limitations.

At this point we had learned that the Spyder isn't a trike in the "traditional " sense of the word, as it sports two front wheels and a single rear wheel. It does not LEAN!

It has dual (A) arms complimenting a single rear shock. The frame is a "Y" shaped cradle surrounding the 990cc V-twin engine, which is liquid cooled.

Additionally, the computer does compensate when it senses a loss of traction by the Spyder, which lends to increased control.

The "Triangle of Stability" does not appear to be different that a conventional trike. While from initial observation it may appear to be off center, it does not physically move as long as the rider/co-rider maintain a centralized seating position as called for in the TRC course material.

During an Instructors course in Huntsville, Alabama, (2) Can Am Spyders participated in the Trike Class under close supervision of several Master Instructors and a Master Instructor Trainer. Everyone commented as to it's ability to not only complete the Trike Course, but to excel at it.

It should be noted that this testing on the TRC was done under less than favorable weather conditions as it was raining at times very heavily.

The only exercise the Spyder could not complete, is the OPTIONAL exercise, #11 which is the voluntary wheel lift. The computer on the Spyder simply would not allow for the lifting of the wheels.

My interest having been peaked, the next opportunity was to actually test ride a Spyder in St. Petersburg, Florida. The manager of the dealership offered to let me ride one to test, but I don't think he was ready for me to test it so vigorously. With full protective gear, I put the Spyder through tight corners, swerving/evasive maneuvers, emergency braking, and basically tried to "defeat" it's reputation as being stable.

However, my finding was that it is a stable motorcycle having withstood everything I threw at it.

As all of you are aware, we do not take lightly the responsibility of making certain that our Riding Courses are designed with the intent of Rider Safety to the max. Our members look to us with trust, that when GWRRA provides a riding course, it is done with the knowledge that all of the exercises are designed to be very safe.

Our Instructors are trained to provide the ultimate Rider Instruction, with the maximum effort placed on providing a safe educational experience.

With all of this being said, after the testing, gathering of information and consultation with our Instructors, and the Director of GWRRA, I have made a decision as it pertains to admitting Can Am Spyders into the GWRRA Trike Courses.

While many of our members have purchased the Can Am Spyder, it was our responsibility to them, to make certain that any courses provided would be safe and enjoyable. In our associations philosophy of always trying to work for and with the members, I have decided to permit the Can Am Spyder to participate in GWRRA Trike Courses effective January 01, 2011.

Riders and Co-Riders of Can Am Spyders will be subject to the same requirements of all participants of GWRRA Riding Courses. Wearing of Proper Riding Gear at all times will be required.

We are pleased to be able to meet the needs of the members by providing opportunities for safe riding education. The admission of the Can Am Spyder was not made hastily, but only in the sense that we want our members to be as safe as possible on our ranges.

There will be some who now ask about the admission of 4 wheel vehicles such as Voyager Kits, Insta-trikes, and Tow Paks into our courses. These vehicles are unsafe in my opinion, and not able to participate in GWRRA riding courses. Having observed and ridden some of these in testing, I found that by having a moving central drive wheel, with two stagnant outer wheels, the stability of the bike becomes questionable.

They are however, Welcome to take part in Parking Lot Practices to keep their riding skills sharp.

I wish to thank all of our Instructors who have tirelessly worked to provide the information needed to make this decision. Rest assured that all of our members are central to every issue as it relates to Rider Education. A very special Thank You goes to Mike Stiger, Director of GWRRA for his commitment to this issue, and support of the Rider Education Program.

ARtraveler
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
I am noting that this post originates in December of 2010.

Update: I joined the GWRRA last summer as an associate member. Don't own a GW, so could not become a full member. We joined up with the GW Riders last summer (2012). Linda and I were the only :spyder2:,s to ride in the group. About 12-20 showed up for the rides we went on. We were welcomed as friends and everyone seemed interested in the :ani29:,s.

The group is not as organized regarding rides and activities as I would like--but we are going to give it a try again this summer.

Benefits from membership seem to be in the various discounts on motorcycle related things that are found in their "Gold Book".

Chupaca
02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Yeah..!! We are no longer orphans..!! :roflblack:

Cavman
02-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I along with two others, took their trike course last October in AL. There were three Spyders and two Honda trikes. It's a great course and they point out the differences in handling during the class room and out on the course instructions. Like leaning forward vs leaning backwards. It was nice that they have adapted their course for Spyders. I opted out on the "how fast you can drive in a circle" deal. :shocked:

Really friendly bunch of folks. And the snack foods they brought to consume during the day were amazing. Yum!

I'm attending the Wing Ding this Summer in Greenville, SC. I wish BRP would have some demo Spyders along with the Harley and BMW's that will be there with their bikes to demo ride?

wa3wheels
03-01-2013, 12:39 AM
The owners are primarily interested in one thing - money.

Membership in both is on a large downhill slide due to membership is getting older and younger riders are going on to different types of MC's. Yes to it's all about the Mony in memberships. Past member of GWRRA & GWTA. Three wheelers were not encouraged for membership back when, Then GWRRA started the Three wheel branch because the numbers were growing and membership mony to be had.I started a Chapter thru Brothers of The Third Wheel back in 2001 and the Chapter has had it's ups and downs of #'s but this past year has had a steady growth with acceptance of all types of rides.