PDA

View Full Version : 2010 RS Headlight - Bulb type???

groundeffect
12-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey there everyone! :)

Looks like I have a headlight out on my RS (2010).

I've looked in both the service manual and owners manual, but nothing in there about the type of bulb it takes, just that it takes 2 x 55W.

Does anyone know the type/number of bulb for the Headlight on the RS/GS, 2010???

Wondering if it is a common bulb available at NAPA or similar shops?

Thanks everyone!
Cheers from Newfoundland!
Dean

Lamonster
12-27-2010, 10:09 AM
H7

tatt2r
12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
spend the extra and get the HID's from esi ....like night and day ... big improvement

groundeffect
12-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey thanks guys. H7 55w 12v. Just picked up a couple replacements at Canadian tire. Ipulled the cluster, housing and bulb to take with me for a match.

Thanks!

Arthur---Mexico
12-28-2010, 01:18 AM
I found tht the shop manual didn't explain well about the height of the headlight beams. So I parked one of my cars that had its headlights the same height as my 2008 SM5 Spyder does and at 10 meters distance, on a wall in my factory I marked on the wall a circle with chaulk. I then placed my Spyder in the same opsition as my car had been ing and adjusted the Spyder's headlights to point it's beam in the circle on the wall. Perfect results. I had occasion to try the lights out when I was in Gatlinburg and they really lit up the road. I cannot see the purpose in installing those HID lights. Happy New Year to all. Arthur---Mexico City

Lamonster
12-28-2010, 08:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exenvSEpduE

Justin
12-28-2010, 10:05 AM
I found tht the shop manual didn't explain well about the height of the headlight beams. So I parked one of my cars that had its headlights the same height as my 2008 SM5 Spyder does and at 10 meters distance, on a wall in my factory I marked on the wall a circle with chaulk. I then placed my Spyder in the same opsition as my car had been ing and adjusted the Spyder's headlights to point it's beam in the circle on the wall. Perfect results. I had occasion to try the lights out when I was in Gatlinburg and they really lit up the road. I cannot see the purpose in installing those HID lights. Happy New Year to all. Arthur---Mexico City

Once you do HID you won't go back. They outperform regular bulbs.

Motavar
12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
HIDs are the way to go!
Brighter, last longer (5-7 years), and they are super cheap. Regular ballasts are around $35 and slim-line digital ballasts are around $42 on ebay (with free shipping).

If you are going to take the top off the spyder to replace the light you might as well order the HIDs and just swap them out. You will have to be a bit crafty when it comes to finding a spot for the ballasts and running wires but that is what makes this such a great drinking project :)

IWN2RYD
01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Quick question. I am finding mixed info... Is the H7 the same as a 9005???

baldman902
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
The H-7 bulb is for the RS, the 9005 is for the RT's.

bone crusher
01-23-2011, 01:08 PM
spend the extra and get the HID's from esi ....like night and day ... big improvement

Didn't believe it myself until I had these installed...just now have to check the ballast issue...need to get that done this week!!