PDA

View Full Version : Eric Buell... let him do one

elixermixer
12-20-2010, 12:00 AM
i keep hearing people say they want a higher performance spyder and lots of talk about alternate motors, speed handling etc.
what about an EB edition? he turns the 1125r into a 1190rr racer.... sounds tasty

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_1101_erik_buell_interview/what_buell_racing_does.html
page 3 the first 2 questions... well ill let you decide
AC: The Buell 1125R has a perfectly valid engine that's not being used to power anything right now. Have you had discussions with Bombardier as Erik Buell Racing about making a future streetbike using that engine?
EB: We've had discussions with them about whether we could get parts, or if we'd be able to get engines from them in the future if we moved ahead. It's a great company by the way, both Bombardier and its Rotax division. Bombardier has some really fine people. I love working with them. They're a very innovative company.
AC: Have you discussed having them as the investor producing a Can-Am motorcycle to your design?
EB: I can't talk about that.

Firefly
12-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Rumors I read were that BRP looked into buying Buell from HD when they were shutting it down--- HD said NO.

Pretty sure HD owns the rights to the bikes and engines made during their time of ownership... so that 1125R engine might not be available as it was specifically designed for that bike.

Would be cool though!

elixermixer
12-20-2010, 01:00 AM
i was under the impression that the 998 being used in the spyder now is very similar to what was designed and used in the aprilia tuono, rsv and caponord lines... maybe Santa will free up the 1125 from HD. jus sayin keep the dream alive.

SpyderWolf
12-20-2010, 06:50 AM
According to an article in the latest Motorcyclist magazine, Eric Buell retained all rights to the 1125 race bikes, and they are getting very close to putting out a street legal version of it under Eric Buell Racing. It would be very cool if he got together with BRP to start working on a high performance X version of the Spyder. It never hurts to have dreams.

Bob Denman
12-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Erik Buell... That could be very interesting... If BRP can give him the room to run with his designs! :2thumbs:
(Anybody who can turn a swingarm into an oil tank has got enough imagination to build almost anything!)

elixermixer
12-20-2010, 03:23 PM
bob i couldnt agree more, i may not think everything EB has put into production has been "sexy" but the man has done some amazing stuff and you can tell his heart has always been into performance and racing and i think the only thing that kept him from going head first into the superbike world was HD not wanting to take on the far east on that front. hes always got ideas and who knows. i just thought it was an interesting read and when three letters like BRP got dropped i had to bring it up to SpyderLovers.

SpyderWolf
12-22-2010, 10:38 AM
A couple more interenting notes from the article I have:

Q: Have you discussed working for Bombardier, possibly designing and building motorcycles under their Can-Am brand?

A: I can't talk about that specifically. But I will say it's a great company. Bombardier and its Rotax division are both very innovative companies.

Q: Has Erik Buell Racing had any discussions with Bombardier about using the Rotax 1125R engine in a future streetbike?

A: We've discussed buying engines from them in the future if we move ahead. I like the engine very much, and its been great for us in terms of racing. It's extremely durable. You can put thousands of racing miles on them at Superbike level, and they still look like new. Rotax really knows how to build motors.

Q: If another manufacturer came to you and asked you to go to work for them in the meantime, would you do that?

A: Possibly. If I found another company already in the business, and I thought the fit was really good, I'd certainly talk to them. I'd really want to make sure it was somewhere that I could do the innovative things I want to do.

So, I am going to keep hoping that a partnership develops between Erik Buell and BRP for some really cool future projects. :thumbup: