PDA

View Full Version : EVERYTHING WENT HAYWIRE

SPYDERGUY1
12-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Short story, spyder in garage, hooked up battery tender , all good, went to start up to warm up/fog engine/add fuel additive, and all Hell broke loose. CODES UP THE YING YANG, then NOTHING NADA. NO POWER , noticed battery tender is set for 6 volt and not 12 ( rv batteries ), disconnected everything , took battery out and now correctly charging. got 13.6 volt on the multimetre after removing the charger. ARE MY ERROR/CODES going to go away when I hook up the battery or does this require another trip to the shop ? Man do I feel stupid. :mad:

BajaRon
12-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Short story, spyder in garage, hooked up battery tender , all good, went to start up to warm up/fog engine/add fuel additive, and all Hell broke loose. CODES UP THE YING YANG, then NOTHING NADA. NO POWER , noticed battery tender is set for 6 volt and not 12 ( rv batteries ), disconnected everything , took battery out and now correctly charging. got 13.6 volt on the multimetre after removing the charger. ARE MY ERROR/CODES going to go away when I hook up the battery or does this require another trip to the shop ? Man do I feel stupid. :mad:

Total guess, I'd think the codes would go away as the voltage issue has been corrected.

Anyone know for sure?

Of course, hooking it back up and turning it on will answer this question for you.

wyliec
12-18-2010, 10:06 PM
When I put a relay in upside down I had a few codes scroll across the screen. Once the relay was put in correctly, the codes were gone.

SPYDERGUY1
12-18-2010, 10:10 PM
I AGREE, either way it will be fixed, just curious if anyone has experienced this ?

SpyderFun
12-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Not sure if the codes are stored in "Non-Volatile" memory or not. If thy are there, try the 3-key method for clearing them (key "On" then 'Off" 3 times).

Keep us posted!

NancysToy
12-19-2010, 09:56 AM
As long as there are no remaining active codes, you will not be in limp mode, and the codes will not come up by hitting the button sequence to display them. They may remain as previously occurred codes. They would show up on BUDS at your dealer. You can wait to have them cleared when you have need for future service. They do not hurt anything. As a matter of fact, if you disconnect the battery for a while, they should be cleared anyway. They remain only to help your dealer with troubleshooting problems.

Bob Denman
12-19-2010, 10:51 AM
No harm...no foul...:thumbup: Glad to hear that it was only your blood pressure that got real serious over this one. :shocked:

SPYDERGUY1
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
yup blood pressure did rise a bit, due to my own stupidity, anyhow, hooked up the battery today and the codes are gone, can not start it yet due to another freaking snowstorm and snowblower in front of spyder. will keep it posted, but thinking it was only a dead battery. THANKS>

NancysToy
12-19-2010, 10:07 PM
yup blood pressure did rise a bit, due to my own stupidity, anyhow, hooked up the battery today and the codes are gone, can not start it yet due to another freaking snowstorm and snowblower in front of spyder. will keep it posted, but thinking it was only a dead battery. THANKS>
Low battery voltage will, indeed, cause cascading alarms and limp mode on a Spyder. Keep that charger handy. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
...but thinking it was only a dead battery. THANKS>
I thought that you were getting a 13.6v reading... :shocked:

SPYDERGUY1
12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
was getting 13.6 volts, but as soon as you put it under a load, like trying to start, there it was gone, just like your car/truck. HOPEFULLY FROM MY IGNORANCE/STUPIDITY, others can not perform the same functions and increase their blood pressure or worse and have something terrible to their SPYDER.

GA-SPYDER
12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Low battery voltage will, indeed, cause cascading alarms and limp mode on a Spyder. Keep that charger handy. :thumbup:
Riding in a Christmas parade leads to all the above, also. Ask me how I know.:(

NancysToy
12-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Riding in a Christmas parade leads to all the above, also. Ask me how I know.:(
Not surprised. The Spyder only puts out half its rated wattage at 4,000 rpm. Idling through a parade would drain the battery quickly. I did the same thing in our Christmas parade a few years back with my 53 F-100 hotrod. It is amazing how long it takes to go a few blocks in a parade!

boborgera
12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
was getting 13.6 volts, but as soon as you put it under a load, like trying to start, there it was gone, just like your car/truck. HOPEFULLY FROM MY IGNORANCE/STUPIDITY, others can not perform the same functions and increase their blood pressure or worse and have something terrible to their SPYDER.

Don't knock yourself out ,battery's are strange black box's, Some will die in a year while other's will last 5 years.
A cell in a battery can go bad at any time. It will take a full charge than lose it under a load. :dontknow: