PDA

View Full Version : Please help with my concerns..looking to buy a 2009 or 2010 Spyder SE5

bonnie_navy
12-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone,

First, I stumbled upon your site and want to say. What a great resource and network of people.

Second, I was hoping someone could give me some insight on the rumor mill and things to ask prior to a purchase of a used spyder. I must confess I'm a little scared to buy one after all the posts I have read about recalls and major safety-system failures. The following are some of my biggest concerns:

DPS system failures and bar replacement in the front end = Loss of steering and random lane jumping

Clutch = Rear wheel locking up, bike won't start and becomes unmovable

Constant computer resets.

Leaking brake fluid?

Has anyone had to deal with any of these problems? If so, were you able to get them corrected and since they have been corrected have you had problems with these items again?

And last but not least, question for the ladies. I have been told by multiple people because I am a 5'2 woman that I should purchase a riser bar and hele bar prior to riding for comfort and easier steering?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and have a great day and ride safe.

Bonnie

Roger
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Welcome first off if you are making a purchase from a dealer just ask have all updates and recalls been done. As for the steering issue the dealer can not release the bike until it has been done but just ask to make sure. Let me asure you not all bikes have had these problems they are far and few in between. I have a 2010 se5 and my daughter has a 2009 sm we have not had any problems with are bikes we will both get the steering update in the spring. As for risers look at all the vendors and call them their are several different ones. I'am 5'6 and i know the ones from BRP would not do just because they don't go high or out enough. If you are buying from a private seller then your local dealer can tell you what has or has not been done to the bike. Again welcome and goodluck if you have anymore questions you just signed up to have over 3000 friends help you.

bonnie_navy
12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Thank you so much Roger...

Ok, then with this said, I think I'm leaning towards the 2009 at the local dealer.

However, could I get more information on where I could buy the Risers if not from BRP? And does anyone know how hard they are to install? My boyfriend has a 1997 Honda Valkyrie that he works on all the time and my VStar.

Bonnie

docdoru
12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
DPS: problem solved with the 2nd generation units.
Clutch: only few SE5's
Constant computer resets: rarely
Leaking brake fluid: routine check
I should purchase a riser bar and hele bar: you should, one or the other.
welcome

Dragonrider
12-16-2010, 08:13 PM
When I first bought my RS, aftermarket stuff was really limited, now there are several aftermarket risers. I had the BRP 1" and ESI +3" (both) on my RS, and could have used another inch.

I can recommend the ESI kit, as really easy to install, and adjust for you and your style…

OR, you can just spring for the RT. That wasn't a option for me, when I bought my RS either…. and that was in '09…

I have had very few problems with either of my Spyders - I had far more with my BMW K1200LT (like 3 $1100 center stands?? Windshield motors?? and…)

The Spyder is a good, safe, fun choice...

Marker
12-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi Bonnie-Navywelcome
I am a 5'8" male. I just purchased a 2010 Spyder Rt-s as I tried sitting on the spyder Rs and it did not feel comfortable for me at all. My wife was not comfortable sitting on the back of the Rs either. When I took the spyder Rt-s out for a test ride I was very comfortable when driving. My wife was also very comfortable sitting on the back of the RT-s. The cost to make the Rs as comfortable as the Rt model was not worth it so that is why I opted to buy the RT-s spyder. This is also my very first bike (trike). I am a new rider and feel very comfortable and safe driving the spyder.
I bought mine from a local dealer who will do all the updates on it before I take delivery of it in the spring.:D:2excited:
Good Luck and have fun shopping:2thumbs:

NancysToy
12-16-2010, 10:12 PM
As was said, as long as you buy a machine which has had the appropriate recalls performed, you should not have safety issues. Buying a machine which has an extended warranty, or a new machine, should also help ease your mind about possible failures...which are relatively few, IMO.

As to risers, ESI, KewlMetal, and Heli-Bar all make good risers. Of these, the new, fully adjustable KewlMetal risers are the most versatile and adjustable, but a great many of us are running the ESIs or other brands with great success. Sounds like your boyfriend would be readily able to hnadle the installaton. Their ar links to most of these sponsors on the SpyderLovers home page. Most have installation instructions or videos on their Web sites.

welcome

COOLMACHINE
12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Hope you find the machine of your dreams. These machines are a blast to ride. We have good vendors on this site as well. The only suggestion I have for you is to buy one with a warranty.

Raptor
12-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Hope you find the machine of your dreams. These machines are a blast to ride. We have good vendors on this site as well. The only suggestion I have for you is to buy one with a warranty.

:agree: A warranty will give you piece of mind, but that is true of any machine. I have 2 Spyders and both have been oustanding. My Wife rides the White 2010 RS-S SE5 and it's a sweet ride. We did have the clutch replaced (recall) and the DPS (also a recall). But the Gen 2 DPS unit is a great piece and really makes the Spyder handle nicely! The SE5 shifts like a F1 race car! I ride 14. She's mean and nasty and fast and I LOVE IT! :spyder: ANd as others have mentioned, the aftermarket offerings are getting better and more numerous for the Spyder all the time.

Always a good idea to take a test ride if at all possible to get a feel for things, but I think you are going to like it alot. Good luck in your search. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
12-17-2010, 08:31 AM
One point to ponder a bit... You hear an awful lot of complaints, but the folks who are happy are usually just twistin' and grinnin' on the rides... They often say the least! Once the updates are in place you'll be good to go... :thumbup:
A V-Star? Which one?

bonnie_navy
12-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Wow...this sight is so great and I can't thank you all enough for your input. Any opinions on the difference between a 2009 vs. 2010 RS SE5? I can't find any information on what the difference might be?

Bob-I have a 2001 XVS650 Yamaha Vstar Custom :clap:
However, I just recently under went shoulder surgery and would like something a little easier to ride. And the Spyders look like such FUN!!!

Lamonster
12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
welcome
I have one of the very first Spyders and the only real problems I've had were self inflicted. I have well over 60,000 miles on the two Spyders I ride now and I wouldn't have a problem jumping on either of them and driving them cross country. The dealer network is much better than when I first bought mine and I have yet to hear of a Spyder owner that wasn't able to get a problem taken care of on the road if they had one. Getting the warranty is a great idea and should give you some peace of mind.

Bob Denman
12-17-2010, 09:25 AM
There weren't any real changes between the 2 years...
A 2001... I had a 2000 and then a 2002 650 Classic! Great bikes! :2thumbs:

Littlebadwolf
12-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Going down to the dealer today and try to negotiate a deal on a SE5 for the wife..Will probably be a 2 spyder family shortly. :)

Bob Denman
12-17-2010, 09:27 AM
:congrats: and good luck! :thumbup:

NancysToy
12-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Wow...this sight is so great and I can't thank you all enough for your input. Any opinions on the difference between a 2009 vs. 2010 RS SE5? I can't find any information on what the difference might be?

However, I just recently under went shoulder surgery and would like something a little easier to ride. And the Spyders look like such FUN!!!
Color selection and price are the most striking differences between the 2009 and 2010. The 2011 changes color selection and price again, and adds some engine stabilization bars first found on the RT, to reduce engine vibration.

If you have had shoulder surgery, you are going to want to be aware of two things. First, if you get a Spyder you will undoubtedly need the risers. Go aftermarket...the 1" BRP riser will not be enough. Second, the Spyder requires a great deal more physical input from the rider than the motorcycles you are used to. You don't just initiate a turn...you turn the (wide) handlebars. This involves the shoulders and arms far more than you might think. Not trying to scare you off, but I'd take a demo ride or two to make sure that the Spyder doesn't impose needs beyond your physical limitations...or that any difficulties can be relieved by adding risers.

tofriendscreek
12-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Welcome! I found this site months before I actually bought my 2009 SE5. The guys and gals are incredibly kind, caring, knowledgeable and a fantastic resource for news, views ... And opinions. I found exactly what I was looking for from a dealer. I have had zero issues with it. It is blast to ride and I just love it!

I did a number of upgrades. They included risers. It had a 1" riser block, but it wasn't nearly enough. My hands got numb after a short time and I needed to be able to sit much more upright to keep my back happy. After a ton of research and touching and feeling the different products I went with the Kewlmetals adjustables. They go up, down, forward, back and they can be swung in and out as well. Installing them was pretty simple. The hardest part was trying to get the grips off in one piece.

As suggested, do your homework, find a Spyder that makes you smile and go for it. It's an awesome, thrilling experience !!!!

Bob Denman
12-17-2010, 10:09 AM
[QUOTE=tofriendscreek;272148]... The hardest part was trying to get the grips off in one piece.[QUOTE]
:agree:...And that's what should be the simplest part of the task too! :D

napper39
12-17-2010, 10:25 AM
have new grips and rip the old ons off,moore fun.:D

dltang
12-17-2010, 10:25 AM
welcome and enjoy your new Spyder. After market has come a long way in making mods for the Spyder. Some are more reputable than others. The site sponsors on the SpyderLovers home page is the best place to start. I personally have had great success with ESI aftermarket products. Evan and the crew have been great with wonderful customer support and service.

IWN2RYD
12-17-2010, 10:36 AM

You have received wonderful input so far. I only hope to add to it.

My Wife became disabled about three yeas ago and has limited arm strength and movement (Both arms).

She is 5'1"... We road an RS and she liked it. However as others have already stated, risers are a must for her needs. She needed 3". We tested a friends with risers pretty close to this and she was quite comfortable.

Then we tested the RT's. We ended up getting the RT for many reasons. I only bring this up because I think the RS steers a bit quicker (Tighter/less effort) but my wife liked to many other factors to notice that she had to use more effort to steer the RT.

However! After the recall on the RT steering this effort was reduced... She has commented several times how the Spyder seems to effortlessly steer now. And that she is having fun now instead of the consistent "thinking/reacting/working" type driving she used to do before the recall.

Everyone finds different reasons for what they decide on. My only struggle seems to be the colors... lol

P.S. My wife and I are "Clutch" lovers at heart. Well we chose the SE5 version because of our concerns in my wife's longevity in rydes if she was doing a lot of shifting and could see in our minds that she might be to week at some point to shift.

My wife wanted me to say... We will never buy another bike without this type of transmission ever again. It is dreamy... lol. The RPMs are controlled by the Spyder. All we have to do is flick a finger and the Spyder does the rest. Smooth is an understatement in the shifting. This allows for less fatigue as we ryde...

emacrn
12-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Hello, I just want to adress the problems you have heard about. I bought a 2010 RT A&C Se5 in July. I had significant clutch & steering problems. I was very frustrated & was considering trying to return it. Then I had all of the recall work done. It became a vastly better trike. I am very glad I kept it. All the problems were worth it considering what I have now. I believe that, if your Spyder has recall work done, you are going to love it.
ed mcmillan

M2Wild
12-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Color selection and price are the most striking differences between the 2009 and 2010. The 2011 changes color selection and price again, and adds some engine stabilization bars first found on the RT, to reduce engine vibration.

If you have had shoulder surgery, you are going to want to be aware of two things. First, if you get a Spyder you will undoubtedly need the risers. Go aftermarket...the 1" BRP riser will not be enough. Second, the Spyder requires a great deal more physical input from the rider than the motorcycles you are used to. You don't just initiate a turn...you turn the (wide) handlebars. This involves the shoulders and arms far more than you might think. Not trying to scare you off, but I'd take a demo ride or two to make sure that the Spyder doesn't impose needs beyond your physical limitations...or that any difficulties can be relieved by adding risers.
:agree:It's the ryder involvement that gives you the added fun factor.

ARtraveler
12-17-2010, 12:23 PM
All good advice and input above. Have similar experience to Lamonster. Have had all years of the Spyder, 2008, 2009, & 2010. One 5-speed, two semi-auto. Over 50,000 combined miles. No major mechanical problems with any except for the 2009 which had the computer replaced in the very beginning--no problems since then. I would drive anywhere without worries now. Have been all over lonely Alaska, as well as the Alcan Highway--had no problems. I hope to get some lower 48 driving in, and am waiting for someone to rent them in Hawaii. Hopefully you work with a dealer and get a warranty--that is the big issue for me. Risers are nice, except not needed on the RTS in my opinion. I find at least 3" risers to be the best. The 1 1/2' were hardly noticable to me. Good luck on your new ride. welcome

Raptor
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
:agree:It's the ryder involvement that gives you the added fun factor.

Yeah baby - Rider involvement! :ohyea: That's the thing that makes 14 (and the Spyder in general) so much fun to ride. It's gotten to the point where I can handle many turns with no input on the bars at all - I move her with my body! Quick lane changes at speed are a blast. You just give it some ooomph and she just slides over. It's so cool and a heck of a rush!

I guess what I am getting to is that these machines are truly a blast to ride. And you can go as easily or as hard as you like (within your limitations, of course). But the grin factor is always off the charts! :D

SpyderWolf
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
welcome

These machines are truly a blast to ryde, and with all of the aftermarket parts available no two really need to be alike. You definitely need to test ryde in order to see what style fits you better, and then you can take it from there. Best of luck with finding the Spyder that will work best for you, and give you many smiles per mile.

Arthur---Mexico
12-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Bonnie,

I installed the 1" riser and to no avail. Then I installeted the Helibar with a very positive result. So take the experience form others and go the Helibar way. It is a very professonally made item and it got me out of trouble.

Good luck on a used Spyder. Did you ever think why people sell low milage Spyders??

bonnie_navy
12-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes, I have wondered why so many dealers have low mile Spyders for sale. Hence why I looked into recalls. :sour:
But, I have gotten a lot of positive response as well so I'm pretty determined to go forward and buy a used Spyder. However, when I called to make the appointment after already getting my loan and insurance quote the seller backed out on me this weekend and decided to keep their Spyder. :gaah:

Which could be good for me. I really like the 2010 White Spyder but 16k is a little to much for my budget. I'm hopefull that after the first and a year ticks by maybe the price will drop to 14k and with trade in this would be doable.

Bob Denman
12-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Look at it this way; More than half the fun is in he shopping! :2thumbs:

M2Wild
12-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Yes, I have wondered why so many dealers have low mile Spyders for sale. Hence why I looked into recalls. :sour:
But, I have gotten a lot of positive response as well so I'm pretty determined to go forward and buy a used Spyder. However, when I called to make the appointment after already getting my loan and insurance quote the seller backed out on me this weekend and decided to keep their Spyder. :gaah:

Which could be good for me. I really like the 2010 White Spyder but 16k is a little to much for my budget. I'm hopefull that after the first and a year ticks by maybe the price will drop to 14k and with trade in this would be doable.
Plenty of good deals around. You just need to be patient. Winter time is the best time to get a deal on bikes. Have cash on hand and be ready to jump when a good deal comes knocking on the door. A good used one should cost you around 10K. Do consider travel longer distance to increase your search area. Good luck.

IWN2RYD
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
]Yes, I have wondered why so many dealers have low mile Spyders for sale.[/I] Hence why I looked into recalls. :sour:

The highlighted portion... That is easy to answer. Dealers are not going to go out and buy Spyders from owners listing them on Craig's list or the local paper. They are most likely Trade ins or Auction purchases from others that have traded theirs in.

The only other options are... They are the "tester/loaner" units that they have kept, and now want to sell. Or a few could be a repo. Or lastly, inventory from now closed Can Am Dealers. Now the other dealers have that inventory.

I have seen enough RS's going for $10-13k to know you will find "The" one you are looking for. Good luck!

bonnie_navy
12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks guy's. :agree: That something will come up in the 10k-13k range if I just wait and be patient. So, if anyone knows or hears of a good deal on a used Spyder please let me know.

mguin
12-22-2010, 04:59 PM
I bought my 09 SE5 in March '10 from AZ dealer. Had 1,400 mi. Jus't passed 5,000 mi. last weekend. Lovin' it. I did have to deal with the DPS unit but other than that no issues. I'm not a girl but I am 5'8". Riding position is OK for me. I have looked at Risers but so far Comfort is fine. So far, my longest rides are like 125 mi each way.

09' SE5 > trunkliner, tank bag, Evoluzion Sway Bar, 02 Modifier, K&N Air Filter, Cal Sci Windshield, Yoshi Pipe, CanAM Handlebar Billet Inserts, Grip Puppies and CanAm Upgraded Seat.

Get ya one. You won't be sorry.

Bluzrok'r

SpydeeBite2
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi and welcome. One more thing to keep in mind is it takes several miles of riding to become accustomed to the :spyder:. In my case it was 600 miles of riding to feel really comfortable with it but those 600 miles were very fun and enjoyable. Just keep a light grip on the bars and go have fun. :ohyea:
Ron

BAZMAN
12-24-2010, 11:42 AM
if you decide you can use a manuel trans i have a 2008 sm5 with less than
6000 mi. with lots of options. a new dps unit and updates by the dealer.
i also have 2 1/2 yrs left on the best warranty. it is silver and black.
you can reach me at gramma1996@q.com. email to john basile.