PDA

View Full Version : Oil warm up time?

johnnyg
12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Can someone tell me the best way to warm up the oil? Here in fl we've just had our first cold wave 32 an below[ Ocala ]. When I went to back out the trans wouldn't come out of reverse. after a few min it started to work but it still didn't shift like it should until I went a mile or two. Oh, I park the spyder in my shed there's no heat. Thanks jc

Recon
12-03-2010, 05:11 PM
John, I had almost the same thing happen today. I put it in reverse to back out of my trailer and it shifted so hard the bike rocked. Rough idle and finally was ok. Guess we need to start it and let it warm up a bit since the trans uses the same oil as the crankcase.
I did install new rear speakers today, and what a difference they make. I got Polk Audios from Best Buy for $60. No more rattles and crackles.
They sure do love the grommets on these bykes; I dont see anything wrong with the old speakers, but the grommets on the side I was having problems with were all chewed up whereas the ones on the other side were fine. Could have been causing the speaker to vibrate against the housing.

SpyderWolf
12-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I always let the engine warm up to 2 bars on the temp gauge before taking off. Of course, I have to wait a bit longer in the winter than I do in the summer, but I haven't had any shifting issues with my SE5 doing it this way.

johnnyg
12-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks Spyderwolf,Recon told me his did the same thing we both have RT thow, I'll just give it 10 min or so jc

SpyderWolf
12-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks Spyderwolf,Recon told me his did the same thing we both have RT thow, I'll just give it 10 min or so jc

Your welcome, ryde safe down there. :thumbup:

SSG Bean
12-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Start your Spyder then finish putting all your gear on. Once you've got all your gear on, it will probably be at one bar minimum. Like others have said, you should let it warm up to one bar before you put load on the motor anyway.

PCBeachBum
12-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Can someone tell me the best way to warm up the oil? Here in fl we've just had our first cold wave 32 an below[ Ocala ]. When I went to back out the trans wouldn't come out of reverse. after a few min it started to work but it still didn't shift like it should until I went a mile or two. Oh, I park the spyder in my shed there's no heat. Thanks jc

I let it warm up to 2 bars, before leaving. Its been down to 31 degrees here at night and at the moment I just use a cover. I have an SM5 and once it has warmed up, I have no problems.

Checking the oil, I let it warm up to 2 bars, whether its cold or hot out.

My ryding buddy and I are looking to get a trailer to keep both my Spyder and his chopper in. The salt air has done a number on his chrome and when I mentioned this to him, he thought it was a great idea. He is going to have his chrome redone and engine diamond cut.

Recon
12-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I let it warm up to 2 bars, before leaving. Its been down to 31 degrees here at night and at the moment I just use a cover. I have an SM5 and once it has warmed up, I have no problems.

Checking the oil, I let it warm up to 2 bars, whether its cold or hot out.

My ryding buddy and I are looking to get a trailer to keep both my Spyder and his chopper in. The salt air has done a number on his chrome and when I mentioned this to him, he thought it was a great idea. He is going to have his chrome redone and engine diamond cut.

You might try KingAmerica trailers in GA; I got an 8x12 dual axle w/brakes, side door, and roof vent for around $3000 that serves as my garage and also a hauler when needed. I just drive right in when I get home and the 12 feet give me plenty of room for other things in the front.

groundeffect
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I always let the engine warm up to 2 bars on the temp gauge before taking off.

:agree:Hi Michael.

I do the same, I'm usually wait til I'm at least one bar, usually and then take it easy on the rpms until I get two bars.

While I'm warming up my Spyder for my daily commutes I'll take a look around the bike at the same time, check tires, check for any kinds of drips underneath. A small pre-ride check. By the time I'm done that and getting my gear on I'm at 1-2 bars and then I'm off.

Cheers from Newfoundland guys!

johnnyg
12-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks to everone that answered my questions. I went out today temp 30 an let it idel about 20-25 min it works fine, Again thanks JC

PCBeachBum
12-05-2010, 05:01 AM
You might try KingAmerica trailers in GA; I got an 8x12 dual axle w/brakes, side door, and roof vent for around $3000 that serves as my garage and also a hauler when needed. I just drive right in when I get home and the 12 feet give me plenty of room for other things in the front.

Recon, Thanks for the tip. I've been checking online and am looking at both new and used. My buddy asked about something more permanent and told him with the city getting involved, plans and a footing would be needed and just those two things can cost double to triple the cost of a trailer, this close to the beach. If I lived a mile from the beach, codes are less strict but within 1000' of the Gulf, building codes are restrictive. Found this out adding an addition to the house.

pierrelogic
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks to everone that answered my questions. I went out today temp 30 an let it idel about 20-25 min it works fine, Again thanks JC

Be careful about letting it sit too long while warming up. The heat from the engine transfers to all things metal including the front sprocket and that can have a negative impact on the drive belt.

2 bars in the cold is good enough.

BikerDoc
12-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I notice the recommended oil for the Spyder is a Synthetic Summer Weight oil.. I would think that would be particularly sluggish in cold weather and might need to be changed out in areas where temps stay cold consistently.