PDA

View Full Version : HID lights

fastfraser
11-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I am ordering stuff for my yet to be built RTS Limited . Do I need HIDs headlights or are the stock good . Anyone who has ordered after market what did you get

I have the ESI HIDs on my SE5 and they make a world of difference . Just wondering if the newer technology in the RT lights is better .

Thanks in advance for your replies .

Justin
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
The RT lighting is crappier than the RS due to being setback in the housings. HIDs are great on the RT.

NancysToy
11-30-2010, 12:57 PM
I feel much the opposite of Justin. The 65W headlights on the RT are better than the 55W headlights on Nancy's RS. Both are better than any motorcycle I own. Neither has the beef of HIDs, however.

IWN2RYD
11-30-2010, 02:43 PM
I am with Nancy on this one... That said I have ordered and received an HID kit for our RT-S and will install it on our 2011 when we take delivery... I purchased the same kit for our 2010 F-150's fog lights and am very pleased with them. I tried a more expensive kit on my wife's 2007 Mustang and found them to be of equal parts and quality.

Mustang... (Link (http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/servlet/the-55W-DIGITAL-HID-kits/Categories))

F-150 (Link (http://shop.ebay.com/xenonfactory/m.html))

Our Spyder (Link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140407172629&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT)) ... Do an search on that site for SLIM HID KIT CONVERSION LIGHT MOTORCYCLE H7/H4/H9/H3/H1. The headlights are the 9005(HB3) and the fog lights are the H8, both in the 6000K diamond white. They have a slight bluish tint and look great besides providing much needed light for my aging eyes

Keep in mind I am not an expert I am only speaking from decisions I made. But sometimes it chaps my hide when I spend $400 for a kit that shows up with the same parts as a $120 kit does from another site.

Ebay is one of the worst places to buy from, but a fellow member here tried the kit I have linked above and liked them. So I decided a safe try would be my fog lights on my pickup. Seeing they had all the same parts as the more expensive kit of my wife's Mustang I ordered another set for the Bike... When I say the same parts.. I mean this literally. The body was the same, specs, colors, fitting types, length of the wires/colors (And part number to boot) and the bulbs themselves are even the same manufacturer. YMMV... :opps:

That said I also purchased a "Life time warrantied" kit from Ebay earlier in the year for my F-150 fog lights, and they are what you would expect for a $40 kit. Cheap and lasted two weeks. Total waste of money. Oh, and when I went back to Ebay to make an inquiry as to how to get a replacement, I find a notice from Ebay telling me that vendor was no-longer a member... sigh... :cus::gaah:

fastfraser
12-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Any other thoughts on this ?:popcorn::popcorn:

Lamonster
12-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Having the RS with the ESI HID's and the RT without I would say the RT could use some HID's for sure.

fastfraser
05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
While I just finished putting a wack of chrome on my RT and the next mod is the H.I.D.s. What is everyone using ? I've read a few post where some have had trouble with the H.I.D. lights .:popcorn:

freebob
05-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I feel much the opposite of Justin. The 65W headlights on the RT are better than the 55W headlights on Nancy's RS. Both are better than any motorcycle I own. Neither has the beef of HIDs, however.

Well I will have to agree with Scotty on this one, Night riding is a very low percentage of my riding but I have found that the headlights in conjunction with fog lights on RT are more than adequate if not better than most vehicles I have driven with stock lighting. I have no plans on changing mine...

Freebob...:doorag:

dave01
05-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I run HID headlights, foglights, ESI dayrunners and daypucks at night and I can see anything I want to. The rt headlights are the part that really needed help on my RT. My rs was better with the stock lights and fogs.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

spydee owner
05-15-2011, 06:37 PM
I am ordering stuff for my yet to be built RTS Limited . Do I need HIDs headlights or are the stock good . Anyone who has ordered after market what did you get

I have the ESI HIDs on my SE5 and they make a world of difference . Just wondering if the newer technology in the RT lights is better .

Thanks in advance for your replies .

If it were me, I would possibly consider HID if I were doing after dark riding a lot.
But for daytime riding, I would stick with the lights that come with it.

ThreeWheels
05-15-2011, 07:49 PM
I just got back from a trip posting some serious night time riding.

While talking about mods with my fellow riders I suggested that I might go for HID's since the Spyder is obviously designed for it. The shade that goes down to create the low beam just SCREAMS " I'm made for HID".

I was told, categorically, that my lights were brighter than any seen on other motorcycles. From this I've concluded that the HID conversion is "more better" but not strictly necessary.

I'll pass for now while other priorities suck up my cash, like college, etc.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.