PDA

View Full Version : Snow and Ice

biker1
11-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Anyone out there been doing any driving on snow and ice ? and if so, is there anything I can get to improve the grip on the back tyre. I am reluctant to do anything with chains as this would only damage the alloy.
No choice on walking or other transport, the spyder is all I have, unless the bicycle and that is even worse.
To add, I have a freebie to give away to the first person to ask for same by private message and I guess this will be in the next 10mins or so. I have a $ 100 voucher for rtsales.org to give away. I have been on to them 8 times so far and I must say that finally there is nothing left that I can find of any use to me, so someone out there may need something, or put money with the voucher to buy a more expensive product.

boborgera
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Anyone out there been doing any driving on snow and ice ? and if so, is there anything I can get to improve the grip on the back tyre. I am reluctant to do anything with chains as this would only damage the alloy.
No choice on walking or other transport, the spyder is all I have, unless the bicycle and that is even worse.
To add, I have a freebie to give away to the first person to ask for same by private message and I guess this will be in the next 10mins or so. I have a $ 100 voucher for rtsales.org to give away. I have been on to them 8 times so far and I must say that finally there is nothing left that I can find of any use to me, so someone out there may need something, or put money with the voucher to buy a more expensive product.

I put two winters on my Spyder this will be the third, From my experience
there isnt much you can do to get traction on ice or snow.
Except to drive slow. After 2 inches of snow or sheet ice on even the slightest grade you'll wish you waited till the road crews cleared the roads.nojoke

SPYDERGUY1
11-29-2010, 10:39 PM
surely there is a tire out there that can be studded, not sure if legal in those parts but they are out there. good luck.:chat:

SPYDERGUY1
11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
even better yet make your own with an old tire and buy the studs and screw them in. used to get at the bike shops for winter lake racing. another option.:dontknow:

pathfinderjoe
11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Carry a can of spray bleach. If you get into a tough spot like a steep grade covered with ice and need to improve traction spray your tires with a healthy dose of bleach. The bleach will do 2 things - make your tires real sticky (hopefully long enough to get out of trouble) and with repeated use reduce the life of tire. :thumbup:

bjt
11-30-2010, 10:12 AM
even better yet make your own with an old tire and buy the studs and screw them in. used to get at the bike shops for winter lake racing. another option.:dontknow:

If I was dead set on riding in the snow and ice, I'd go this route also. The couple of times I've ridden in the snow and ice, the Spyder had almost no control. Even with ABS, TCS, etc. the Spyder was still difficult to maneuver. I don't see just a different tire making that much difference.

Bob Denman
11-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Do the Blizzacks (SP) come in the right size for our rear tire? I keep hearing great things about them, but haven't had the pleasure of using them on my truck.
Otherwise riding on snow and ice just doesn't seem like the best idea... I'll tether my Spyder to the charger 'til the roads are clear and clean again..

NancysToy
11-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Studded tires are illegal in Michigan, and many other states. Another difficulty with studded tires is that they actually reduce your wet or dry road traction. I think the Spyder would protest. I suspect winter tires are the best answer. Nanny isn't going to get much sleep, though, even with winter tires.

Bob Denman
11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Nanny isn't going to get much sleep, though, even with winter tires.

:shocked: So Nanny and I will both be going down the road trying our darndest to freeze our eyeballs solid... :shocked:

(I'd rather just yank the transfer case lever in my Silverado and keep going with minimal worries... :D)

tatt2r
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Ride it .... I do and I have to say it sucks in the snow ... Nick Caro ride 900 miles a week all year round be careful ... Nothing is going to make a difference

Firefly
11-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Studded tires are illegal in Michigan, and many other states. Another difficulty with studded tires is that they actually reduce your wet or dry road traction. I think the Spyder would protest. I suspect winter tires are the best answer. Nanny isn't going to get much sleep, though, even with winter tires.

Good points. I think a big part of the problem is the lack of much weight (relatively) on the rear tire. adding studs would give less surface area for grip-- and not enough weight above to make them grip.

Another downside is if a stud came off and got in the belt---- :gaah:

I'm thinking some Blizzak tires would work well - or maybe take another tire and have it siped.

spyryder
11-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Add at least 100 lbs of weight over the rear tire....or try with a passenger first. I'm sure that alone will make a huge difference.:f_spider:

Barbary
11-30-2010, 06:08 PM
The bleach will do 2 things - make your tires real sticky (hopefully long enough to get out of trouble) and with repeated use reduce the life of tire. :thumbup:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Add at least 100 lbs of weight over the rear tire....or try with a passenger first. I'm sure that alone will make a huge difference.:f_spider:

If you can find someone who'll sit on the back and freeze to death with you...MARRY her! :roflblack:

Dochands
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
What about something like GoKlaws?

spyryder
12-01-2010, 11:55 AM
If you can find someone who'll sit on the back and freeze to death with you...MARRY her! :roflblack:

Hmmmm.....I guess a snow tire WOULD be a lot cheaper.:D

Bob Denman
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
:2thumbs::roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :agree:

bone crusher
12-01-2010, 12:43 PM
The bike is not meant to be driven in snow or ice...period...

Get an AWD vehicle for this...certainly something that has a cage...you might be great, but if someone hits you, it won't make a difference...

Bob Denman
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I never bought or drove anything with any thought as to what would happen if I wrecked it..:shocked:. I just don't like being cold any more... and getting stuck on the roadway just seems like a great way to be totally embarassed in a small hometown... My Silverado got parked for a lot of this summer, but not now!

SethO
12-01-2010, 03:16 PM
come on sallies, we all drive cages from time to time, snowstorms up here have been hard to drive my 2 wheel mexican work truck with meats on the back but its what you have to do.

to the guy recommending the winter tires that are slightly different, have you used that size on the spyder and had the tcs not fault out? mine did with a bigger tire so I want to make sure. I have road this thing in the winter and have kicked around several ideas on here but until someone has done it then its just an idea.

If the tcs would not trip I would try the tires listed, got the time and environment to do it in. IF anyone wanted to send me a rear I would throw it on and put your name on it in grease pen.

boborgera
12-01-2010, 04:29 PM
come on sallies, we all drive cages from time to time, snowstorms up here have been hard to drive my 2 wheel mexican work truck with meats on the back but its what you have to do.

to the guy recommending the winter tires that are slightly different, have you used that size on the spyder and had the tcs not fault out? mine did with a bigger tire so I want to make sure. I have road this thing in the winter and have kicked around several ideas on here but until someone has done it then its just an idea.

If the tcs would not trip I would try the tires listed, got the time and environment to do it in. IF anyone wanted to send me a rear I would throw it on and put your name on it in grease pen.

;)
Rule of thumb = Wide tires for mud/sand.
Narrow tires = snow/slush/ice.
Wide tires will float,
Narrow tires will dig down to the pavement and grip.

SethO
12-01-2010, 05:12 PM
;)
Rule of thumb = Wide tires for mud/sand.
Narrow tires = snow/slush/ice.
Wide tires will float,
Narrow tires will dig down to the pavement and grip.

I totally agree and I am sure anyone who has ran 'er 90 in snow will tell you that but does this help our situation?

boborgera
12-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I totally agree and I am sure anyone who has ran 'er 90 in snow will tell you that but does this help our situation?

:dontknow:
Not really, but it does explain to some why the Spyder has limited traction in snow/ice.
And that there isn't much you can do to change that.

bone crusher
12-02-2010, 12:15 AM
:dontknow:
Not really, but it does explain to some why the Spyder has limited traction in snow/ice.
And that there isn't much you can do to change that.

I agree...hey, I'd like to ride my Spyder over sand dunes in the Sahara desert...what tires should I use for best traction? :joke:

SethO
12-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I agree...hey, I'd like to ride my Spyder over sand dunes in the Sahara desert...what tires should I use for best traction? :joke:

3wheeler (old style) sand tires would be awesome for that.

SethO
12-02-2010, 03:05 AM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce&partnum=06SR5FWF&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

i ordered this SO if it trips the tcs I am holding all responsible. And I will give you a full report about it. Mine has had no problems braking and handling.

i am also going to put a sand back under the wheelchair bracket to get better traction.

biker1
12-02-2010, 04:00 AM
Great news and great ideas all round.
The last time I got a tyre changed I had to drive 150 miles to find someone able to do the job, so that idea is out considering the snow and ice problem.
The roads do not have ice everywhere, some patches are clear, so even if I could get studs I would not use them.
Going to start with the simple idea mentioned, couple of sandbags over the back end and find an icy patch to see if it helps. Its 1982 since we had this much snow, so I was not expecting to have to drive around in it for so long, usually we just get a couple of days of ice.
Would like to get a cheap cage as suggested, but no funds.
Gotta do what needs to be done.
Doing a lot of walking, that must be good for winter exercise plan !!
Thanks for advice, keep it coming. Somewhere out there is another simple and fantastic idea.

Firefly
12-02-2010, 11:09 AM

http://sand-x.com/index.php?page=790

Bob Denman
12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Now that's just so wrong... but so COOL! :2thumbs:

SethO
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Well since I'm "the guy" who was suggesting winter tires I'm very interested in how this works out.
:popcorn:

I was mostly kidding, it should be here by monday, it was coming from IL.

hopefully the sandbag thing will help out too.

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Buy a set of Ski's and a track for the rear!

Bob Denman
12-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Buy a set of Ski's and a track for the rear!

I think that they're called "Ski Doo", and BRP makes them pretty darn well! :roflblack:
(First one I had was back in 1967...:thumbup:)

SethO
12-02-2010, 11:13 PM
here is the way I got more weight over the rear tire.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15650406&l=6e25d3e874&id=656230098

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=15650407&l=fe51b9b5fe&id=656230098

I had to let some sand out to make them fit but I got about 100 lbs on it.

worked better, snow tire next week, it was -4 without the windchill when i rode to work tonight.

chris56
12-03-2010, 02:19 AM
maybe you find something like this here - wouldn`t ruin the wheel..
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/service/schneeketten-anfahrhilfe-und-schneesocke-690651.html
had also alot of fun with my Gs ( in the sand ..)

bone crusher
12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
The last time I got a tyre changed I had to drive 150 miles to find someone able to do the job, so that idea is out considering the snow and ice problem.
The roads do not have ice everywhere, some patches are clear, so even if I could get studs I would not use them.
Going to start with the simple idea mentioned, couple of sandbags over the back end and find an icy patch to see if it helps. Its 1982 since we had this much snow, so I was not expecting to have to drive around in it for so long, usually we just get a couple of days of ice.
Would like to get a cheap cage as suggested, but no funds.
Gotta do what needs to be done.
Doing a lot of walking, that must be good for winter exercise plan !!
Thanks for advice, keep it coming. Somewhere out there is another simple and fantastic idea.

BTW, I LOVE your country...was there in 2002...one of my favorite places in the world...never wanted to leave the Dingle Peninsula!

SSG Bean
12-03-2010, 10:02 PM
This is my winter weather driving mod. Not only do I get great traction, but I have wonderful protection from the other drivers sliding around. I know I'm making fun of the situation, but you have to remember that while you're sliding around on your spyder, something else that is probably sliding too... Only they have a cage around them and won't feel a thing when you go crunch.

SethO
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
This is my winter weather driving mod. Not only do I get great traction, but I have wonderful protection from the other drivers sliding around. I know I'm making fun of the situation, but you have to remember that while you're sliding around on your spyder, something else that is probably sliding too... Only they have a cage around them and won't feel a thing when you go crunch.

You have the truck I want, but yeah IF you care about living or dying I would take into consideration the other people flying around.

To futher justify the situation ppl drive slower up here and you can not get the speed up to where it as fun but the other ppl driving do take more of your attention when driving in such conditions.

Again love the truck, i would trade you for my mexican work truck.

NancysToy
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
:agree: I remember when I was young and foolish, and bought my 59 Vette at the beginning of November. First snowfall and watching a car slide through a stop sign, only to halt about six inches from my door, convinced me it was a bad idea. Sold it by December.

irish2themax
12-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Strap it to a camel

irish2themax
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM

How'd you make out last week? Was there much snow in Co. Kerry? Looks like Dublin got quite a bit for Ireland snowstorms

SSG Bean
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
You have the truck I want, but yeah IF you care about living or dying I would take into consideration the other people flying around.

To futher justify the situation ppl drive slower up here and you can not get the speed up to where it as fun but the other ppl driving do take more of your attention when driving in such conditions.

Again love the truck, i would trade you for my mexican work truck.

Thanks Seth, but my truck may be mexican too. Some of the 2010 Tacomas were made in California and some were made in Mexico before they moved manufacturing to San Antonio, TX.

biker1
12-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Lots of snow here last week, that has cleared up and led to a bigger problem, black ice in the mornings. Thawing through the day and roads freezing from 5pm onwards.
In the paper today, THE SNOW SOCK, you pull this over the tyre of driven wheels. They are made of a textile that optimises grip on the road. Simpler to fit than snow chains, they cost about $ 80 a pair. Drivers must keep below 50mph. That is the direct quote from the article,, but of course no website mentioned or any place to buy them.
This sounds promising and beneficial to be able to drive up to 50mph also.
I will do a search later on the computer and see if I can find out some more.
Keep it between the ditches.

wyliec
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Lots of snow here last week, that has cleared up and led to a bigger problem, black ice in the mornings. Thawing through the day and roads freezing from 5pm onwards.
In the paper today, THE SNOW SOCK, you pull this over the tyre of driven wheels. They are made of a textile that optimises grip on the road. Simpler to fit than snow chains, they cost about $ 80 a pair. Drivers must keep below 50mph. That is the direct quote from the article,, but of course no website mentioned or any place to buy them.
This sounds promising and beneficial to be able to drive up to 50mph also.
I will do a search later on the computer and see if I can find out some more.
Keep it between the ditches.

http://www.activeoutdoors.info/activeoutdoors/Article91.html

Looks like only U.K. sells them.

RAL
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Three wheels can do very well in the snow but it has to be the right three wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9gBNlgkpw

Used to ride my ol KZ 400 year round in Spokane when I was young enough to be bullet proof. The Ural is the solution for adverse conditions now that I am a bit older. That and moving to Florida so snow is not likely:roflblack:

RAL

Firefly
12-05-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.activeoutdoors.info/activeoutdoors/Article91.html

Looks like only U.K. sells them.

Cool idea--- but no way to use those on the Spyder-- unless you cut them into two halves and then attached with velcro? looks like trouble to me.....

I'm anxiously awaiting Seth's report on the snow tire before I place my order......

SethO
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
should be here today, hopefully i can get it on in a few days here, the 100 lbs of sandbags.

bone crusher
12-07-2010, 12:19 AM
http://sand-x.com/index.php?page=790

Fire,

Only you could find this...very nice!!!!! Very cool!

SethO
12-07-2010, 02:08 AM
got the tire in, but place to swap it out was closed so I will do it today, looks WAY more meaty in person.

I will get riding video up .

biker1
12-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Will await the results of this new tyre with anticipation. Maybe if it is much better than a standart tyre, use it all year round and get a new fitted at the end of October each year, if they last that long.

Bootie
12-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Someone should invent a kit that permits you to replace the front wheels with skis. Then mount a snow tire on the rear and voila, you have a Snow Spyder. :clap:
Maybe I'll get started on one after I retire in May.

Raptor
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
got the tire in, but place to swap it out was closed so I will do it today, looks WAY more meaty in person.

I will get riding video up .

Good luck Seth. I have to say I'm a bit curious to see how it works as well...

SethO
12-07-2010, 07:36 PM
205/60R15

well it would not fit on this rim:mad::mad::mad::mad:, so I have $87.15 in the tire 60 into the tire guys trying to get the bead to fit, they said they can not get it to mount, my wrench roommate is going to run some ideas by them tomorrow (strap in the center of the tire)

this is really annoying, has anyone on here put a tire on their spyder this size?
I was hoping it was just because it was a winter tire not that someone thought it would fit.

SethO
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
OK it official that tire size will NOT work on a spyder rim.

i would ask people that have not tried things in person to make to sure to say that this is just a idea of theirs not something they really did.

anyone who does not believe me I will send them this tire for $80 shipped.

damn it.

wyliec
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
OK it official that tire size will NOT work on a spyder rim.

i would ask people that have not tried things in person to make to sure to say that this is just a idea of theirs not something they really did.

anyone who does not believe me I will send them this tire for $80 shipped.

damn it.

I hear you Seth. It cost me around $170 to learn not to listen to some here. I ended up giving the item away.

jgwoods
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Free advice- take it for what it's worth...

I ride all Winter here in MA but not on the days it snows.
I have a 9 mile commute and no trouble with the cold- how cold can you get in 9 miles?
Snow on the other hand is a big problem. The tire spins, the nanny kicks in, it stalls, it crawls, its not good at all. Those days I strand my wife at home and take the car with 4 Michelin Ice Xi2 tires on it.
The next day, after the roads are plowed I go back on the Can Am. As long as asphalt is mostly what I see it is OK. The snowy, icy patches keep things interesting but again- it's 9 miles and I can slow down to be safe. I've ridden through plenty of salty puddles and the like with no damage (that I know of)

I was thinking a snow tire would be the way to go. Sorry to hear your experiment has cost you. I have now learned something on your dime and I thank you for that. If anyone has a successful snowtire transplant with plenty of road time to prove the process let us know.

Bob Denman
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Someone should invent a kit that permits you to replace the front wheels with skis. Then mount a snow tire on the rear and voila, you have a Snow Spyder. :clap:
Maybe I'll get started on one after I retire in May.

Like this?

biker1
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear about that waste Seth.
Would actually be okay, but because we do not generally get much snow... snow ploughs do not exist, so all we have are the council putting salt on the major roads,,, not where I am going.
Does anyone think that cutting one of those snow socks up and putting velcro on it would work, or is that just a bad idea.
Gues I will have to put away some cash and buy an old banger for next winter.

spyryder
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hear about that waste Seth.
Would actually be okay, but because we do not generally get much snow... snow ploughs do not exist, so all we have are the council putting salt on the major roads,,, not where I am going.
Does anyone think that cutting one of those snow socks up and putting velcro on it would work, or is that just a bad idea.
Gues I will have to put away some cash and buy an old banger for next winter.
Maybe these Snobootz would be a better alternative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYikfkhe6o

SethO
12-08-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm just curious as to why it won't work. All the factory specs say it should. The Spyder rim is 7" and this is suppose to fit on a 5.5" to 7.5" rim with a 6" being optimal. Would it not seat? I would give Tire Rack a call and see if they will do anything for you. The only way one can pick out a tire is by it's specs and the specs say it should fit.

it will not seal on the rim, the bead will not take no matter what they tried, all the hillbillyness came out in this attempt the tire is just not wide enough to go on the spyder rim, when I about what you had posted it was 3am and I was not careful in my reading of you thought it would work not that you had done it SO it was my bad on that.

After a long argument with tirerack they took the tire back but I lost the 30 bones they charged me and the 17 to mail it back. Plus the wrench costs.

they thought a 235/5/ or 55/ r15 would work but I have not checked those sizes for snow tires.

did tirerack tell you it would fit or the size chart on there did?

biker1
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Those Snoboots look exactly what might be needed. Of course all the damn snow is gone now, but a long winter yet ahead.
Will do a search online and see what I can come up with.

biker1
12-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks Spyryder for input.
I telephoned the guys at snobootz and while searching online I found another product made by them called GO CLAWS. Both products looked good.
I was talking to Tony Bright, the guy who has invented these products and he said that I need 7/8 of an inch clearance to use teh GO CLAW or his SNOBOOTZ and I have measured 1/4 of an inch only between the tyre and the belt.
If anyone has the ability to increase the distance to 7/8 of an inch, I would really like to know. I would then purchase this GO CLAW to give it a try. You can drive on regular terrain as well as snow and ice.
Sounds just like what we may need for the SPYDER.
Comments anyone ??

SethO
12-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks Spyryder for input.
I telephoned the guys at snobootz and while searching online I found another product made by them called GO CLAWS. Both products looked good.
I was talking to Tony Bright, the guy who has invented these products and he said that I need 7/8 of an inch clearance to use teh GO CLAW or his SNOBOOTZ and I have measured 1/4 of an inch only between the tyre and the belt.
If anyone has the ability to increase the distance to 7/8 of an inch, I would really like to know. I would then purchase this GO CLAW to give it a try. You can drive on regular terrain as well as snow and ice.
Sounds just like what we may need for the SPYDER.
Comments anyone ??

I don't think you can increase this belt issue.

I did get hung up and so pissed off that i am now ordering

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce&partnum=16SR5FWF&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I should have looked at the size differnce on this and instead of the 205 posted I should have went with the 215.

Throwing more money at this project, BRP you reading this? a check perhaps?

Large?

My name on it?

5-8 figures..?

you can't find this kind of R&D except for here.. on spyderlovers.com.

Firefly
12-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Maybe these Snobootz would be a better alternative:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYikfkhe6o

Max speed 30 mph?

Might as well walk.

spyryder
12-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Max speed 30 mph?

Might as well walk.

:hun:
It was just a suggestion....beats being stuck right?

Raptor
12-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Well this will get you through the bad weather.
http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/DSCF3093/1122974781_79tSG-M.jpghttp://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/DSCF3094/1122977724_xDJDg-M.jpg

Wow! This is one amazing vehicle. This will get ya where you need to go fer sure! I've never operated a vehicle of this type; I wonder how it drives...

Seth. sorry to hear that tire didn't work, man. That winterforce tire looks promising, though. Let's hope you have better luck with this one. ANd if the rear will fit, the 185/60r-14 will fit the front so you can run this tire all around.

SethO
12-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow! This is one amazing vehicle. This will get ya where you need to go fer sure! I've never operated a vehicle of this type; I wonder how it drives...

Seth. sorry to hear that tire didn't work, man. That winterforce tire looks promising, though. Let's hope you have better luck with this one. ANd if the rear will fit, the 185/60r-14 will fit the front so you can run this tire all around.

ok, they should be here today and I will have to see if I can get it on by wednesday, I want to also try one with studs in it, firefly should be helping me out with that.

Bob Denman
12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Well this will get you through the bad weather.
http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/DSCF3093/1122974781_79tSG-M.jpghttp://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/DSCF3094/1122977724_xDJDg-M.jpg

I wonder if that's the 800 or 1000cc Vee-Twin in that Comander?

SethO
12-17-2010, 11:44 PM
got the right tire on there and it works great, at LEAST 50% more grip. Just had a trip to work, did not trip the VSS. I will run it thru the paces this weekend, I think I should have time on sunday to make a winter riding video.

I will hopefully have time to get this one to firefly and try a studded one this year.

Raptor
12-18-2010, 12:06 AM
got the right tire on there and it works great, at LEAST 50% more grip. Just had a trip to work, did not trip the VSS. I will run it thru the paces this weekend, I think I should have time on sunday to make a winter riding video.

I will hopefully have time to get this one to firefly and try a studded one this year.

That is FANTASTIC! :clap: I'm glad for you man. You have some grit to ride in that harsh environment. What were your thoughts on trying the 185/60R-14s for the fronts? I have "heard" that guys have put them on and didn't have to modify the fenders at all; others have said that they had to mod the fenders just a bit.

Given the extra meat those tires seem to have you may have to mod the fenders just a tad. But as it stands it's great to hear you have some grip out there! We are all learning from you bro...

SethO
12-18-2010, 01:29 AM
That is FANTASTIC! :clap: I'm glad for you man. You have some grit to ride in that harsh environment. What were your thoughts on trying the 185/60R-14s for the fronts? I have "heard" that guys have put them on and didn't have to modify the fenders at all; others have said that they had to mod the fenders just a bit.

Given the extra meat those tires seem to have you may have to mod the fenders just a tad. But as it stands it's great to hear you have some grip out there! We are all learning from you bro...

my fenders have already been mod'ed but not by choice, use and deer hits have made them a little funky so the tires I could change,
just wondering if I would start to loose the very top end or really effect the "spirited" handling? if someone had i set I would try them. I will have to check into some of those.

Raptor
12-18-2010, 02:29 AM
my fenders have already been mod'ed but not by choice, use and deer hits have made them a little funky so the tires I could change,
just wondering if I would start to loose the very top end or really effect the "spirited" handling? if someone had i set I would try them. I will have to check into some of those.

That is a good point. I guess I was obsessing on the grip aspect! I am certain the aggressive tread would in fact scrub some speed, though it's hard to say how much. I guess it's kind of a trade-off. Maybe the best thing would be to give the current setup a few cycles and if you are still down on grip you could consider it then.

SethO
12-18-2010, 10:25 PM
well the tire works great!!! made a video but it was right at dark so the quality.

BajaRon
12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
well the tire works great!!! made a video but it was right at dark so the quality.

Glad to hear you finally got this project working for you! As always, sounds like you went about it the hard way. But hey! Why change your style now! :D

Now that it works, it was probabaly worth the effort. And, you took the lumps for the rest of us too!

SethO
12-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Glad to hear you finally got this project working for you! As always, sounds like you went about it the hard way. But hey! Why change your style now! :D

Now that it works, it was probabaly worth the effort. And, you took the lumps for the rest of us too!

I don't like to half ass things ron, and I do like to make sure I know the limits of what I test, which is about 110 on this tire, road being slippery and the speedo being off.

testing, always testing.

Campverdefela
12-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Being an ex Pittsburgher but living in AZ. I felt compelled to follow this thread. I'm glad you got it figured out. It might be in your best interest to buy a set for the fronts in the appropriate size and run all three in winter possibly with the fronts mounted on another set of rims just for winter. As you know many people in your neck of the woods do keep a winter set. I for one loved studded tires in the winter going where most people couldn't with standard snow tires. Congrats again....

SethO
12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Being an ex Pittsburgher but living in AZ. I felt compelled to follow this thread. I'm glad you got it figured out. It might be in your best interest to buy a set for the fronts in the appropriate size and run all three in winter possibly with the fronts mounted on another set of rims just for winter. As you know many people in your neck of the woods do keep a winter set. I for one loved studded tires in the winter going where most people couldn't with standard snow tires. Congrats again....

I am really kicking around getting a set of fronts in the r14 size, I will just cut off the fender edges, with the added grip of the back tire the spyder will now slide in the front where before the rear could not push hard enough.

this may be a funny question this far in but has anyone ran the winters in the front size listed in the posts above?

biker1
12-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for all the effort in your investigations.
It looks like this is a very suitable alternative for the future, with over half of the year on wet roads and now these new artic conditions which are at week three, this type of tyre with maybe a few sandbags on the back will be the way forward. Currently walking as bike is no good on ice in its current format.

Raptor
12-20-2010, 03:31 PM
I am really kicking around getting a set of fronts in the r14 size, I will just cut off the fender edges, with the added grip of the back tire the spyder will now slide in the front where before the rear could not push hard enough.

this may be a funny question this far in but has anyone ran the winters in the front size listed in the posts above?

I get the sense that you are trail-blazing here, man! :thumbup: But let's see; maybe someone has done it before...

SethO
12-21-2010, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ugGJ7BAc0

here is the ride down the road, the ride up is even darker, I don't know why it did not upload in HD, I wonder if I did not see the upload in HD box they have now or something. enjoy.