PDA

View Full Version : Frunk Spring Mod for 2010 RT PE

Phil
11-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Thanks to this forum!!!! I added that to my Thanksgiving list of blessings!!

I was looking at the mod to add a spring to the frunk. I'm sure I'm just inept at searching, but the ones I found did not look like my frunk latch. So... I took the ideas of others and adapted to what you see below.

I got the springs at Lowes for about $2-3. I had a couple of washers in my drawer of left over parts (I'm sure my lawn mower, or washer or something is lonely for them). At the hinge, I simply removed the hex screws, one at a time, and slipped the screws into the washers/springs. 1 wasn't enough and was unbalanced. 2 was PERFECT! I closes just fine and releasing from the key (press + turn) and POP!:2thumbs:

Start to finish (including opening the bag)- 10 minutes!

I also added some pics of lighting mods I've done in my album. Nothing spectacular, all off the shelf... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?u=6141

fastfraser
11-28-2010, 06:06 AM
:thumbup: Thanks for that Phil .

NancysToy
11-28-2010, 06:52 AM
This is confusing, since the RT already has a built-in trunk "popper" spring. If yours was not working, perhaps it needed adjustment or lubrication...or perhaps your frunk hinge needed to be lubed.

Phil
11-28-2010, 09:13 PM
This is confusing, since the RT already has a built-in trunk "popper" spring. If yours was not working, perhaps it needed adjustment or lubrication...or perhaps your frunk hinge needed to be lubed.

Hummmmmm. That may be! The hinge for the frunk is totally fine and moves with complete ease. I'll have to look for the stock popper spring (I assume it's near the latch?). I'll DEFINATELY want to get it working right as well as the adder springs. Thanks Scotty!!

NancysToy
11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Hummmmmm. That may be! The hinge for the frunk is totally fine and moves with complete ease. I'll have to look for the stock popper spring (I assume it's near the latch?). I'll DEFINATELY want to get it working right as well as the adder springs. Thanks Scotty!!
The latch is a bearclaw latch, so it should sort of pop by itself. As it opens, it pushes up slightly. Is the latch working properly and adjusted correctly?

Phil
11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
The latch is a bearclaw latch, so it should sort of pop by itself. As it opens, it pushes up slightly. Is the latch working properly and adjusted correctly?

I just went to the garage and checked. It appears that it is working just fine. With the frunk open, I manually closed the bearclaw latch and opened it with the key 2-3 times. Feels like it's well lubricated and free. I can easily see what you're talking about and it should pop up the lid since the bearclaw has a bit of pop to it. I can say that mine did pop a LITTLE bit, but upon releasing the key and reaching to the raise the lid, it would not always release (maybe 90% of the time). Now, it works 100%. Maybe I need to dig into the shop manual on how to adjust the latch?

For reference, can I lube the bearclaw latches with dripless oil or graphite?

Thanks again Scotty.....