PDA

View Full Version : More Mods

SSG Bean
11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I decided it's time to start one thread to document all my mods rather than several strung out all over the place. The links below are some of the major highlights.

Paint-
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9544
Wheels-
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20250
Bars-
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

I changed my tire to a Toyo Proxes 4, added the O2 Modifier, Gen 3 Brakes, and added the Madstad Robo Brackets with the 24" shield over the last couple of weeks. The tire was actually not too bad to change. I ended up replacing the bearings, spacers, seals, and everything else that was fairly inexpensive to replace while I had the thing apart. I also used the krikit to reduce the belt tension. The worst part of the whole process is getting the alignment within spec.

I've got RT shocks and the evo swaybar on the way to work on in the coming weeks, so I'll have more updates in the near future. Here is the current list as of today: No Magic Neon Triple Play II, Leo Vince SBK Exhaust, MMG Backrest, BRP Seat Skin, XOPRODOX Grips & Throttle Rocker, Paint By Tallant's Hot Rods, Kewl Metal Air Filter, Juice Box, O2 Mod, Ride Wright Mojo Wheels, Custom Handlebars, Relocated Ignition Switch, Madstad Robo Brackets, Toyo Proxes 4.

Here are a couple of pics of this weekend's work. More to follow....

SSG Bean
11-28-2010, 06:25 PM
I was going to wait for my RT springs to arrive to install the Evo Swaybar, but I had some free time. I am glad I did it. I like to be able to determine the effect of each mod individually. I can say that this should have been one of my first mods. I've read others say that it makes a huge difference in the twisties, but I'd say it also makes a difference when driving in windy conditions or on uneven road surfaces. It seems to make it handle much more predictably.

Installation was quick and easy. I took the advice from many on this site and loosened all the bolts on top of the trunk attachment point, but did not remove them entirely. It gave me enough play to pull the bottom away and hold in it place with a block wrapped with foam. :thumbup:

I also took the time to replace all my fuel lines with high pressure fuel line and replace all the clamps with high pressure fuel injection hose clamps. A few weeks ago when I changed the fuel filter I had concerns about the fuel line and was not real confident with the standard hose clamps either.

Phil
11-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the GREAT pic and confirmation on the sway bar. This nailed it for me!!:2thumbs:

SSG Bean
12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I had time to get the RT shocks assembled and put on the Spyder this weekend. Of course, once they were on the Spyder, I had to take it for a test drive. 30 degrees doesn't make for great test driving weather, but I put on the winter gear and it wasn't too bad.

The verdict: Like others have said, this is the shock/spring/swaybar combo that should have been on the Spyder from the factory. The ride didn't seem harsh, just much more firm and predictable. With these and the Evo swaybar, I don't get any unexpected shifting from left to right when driving over ruts or other uneven surfaces on the road. The spyder also corners like a dream now. Not that I ran it through the paces on a wonderful twisty road, but little things like building speed on a cloverleaf exit and similar curves prove to be much easier. In my opinion, this is better than testing on a road you only get to drive once in a blue moon. These are real world differences I can appreciate everytime I ride.

I can't be happier with the results. Additionally, I like the looks of the black springs. They blend with my color scheme real well.

XLT
12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
:cus: Sweet- wheels, tires, springs, paint and custom yellow :ani29: logo!:congrats:

SSG Bean
12-05-2010, 07:02 PM
:cus: Sweet- wheels, tires, springs, paint and custom yellow :ani29: logo!:congrats:

Thanks! The logo is actually one of the custom accessories that No Magic sold. It started out silver and has slowly started discoloring to a gold-ish tint.

SSG Bean
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Since I've been waiting for a couple weeks for the SFB floorboards to arrive and growing a bit restless, I decided to lower the rear by a couple inches. I found that by lowering the shock mount on the swing arm, the driver position is lowered by quite a bit, but the spyder only loses about an inch of ground clearance. I cut out some brackets from 2 inch C channel. I put one on the outside of the existing mount and one on the inside. I put a short 10mm bolt through the existing mount hole and used a 6mm bolt to make sure it does not move. The two brackets sandwich the orignial mount to limit the flex back and forth, while the 6mm bolt keeps the bracket from wanting to rotate around the 10mm bolt. After a quick test fit, I primed and painted the brackets black to match the swing arm.

Lowering the swingarm increases the belt tension, so it was necessary to adjust it back to the proper setting (approx 170 using the krikit). I like the looks and feel like the spyder handles a little better with the lower center of gravity. Here are the pictures:

SSG Bean
06-11-2011, 04:54 PM
More pics!