PDA

View Full Version : Cowtown done it again!

Mo Lee
11-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm sure everyone, on this site at least, has heard how lucky a few of us are to have them as our dealer. You ain't gonna believe this ****. I've been waiting on them to get a DPS for my Spyder since the recall, well last Friday they said they had one and scheduled me for today to have it installed. The temp today was in the upper 30s and I was running 80ish on I44 as I was coming thru Rolla Mo about 20 miles from Cowtown the speed limit dropped to 60 and that slowed me to 70 as i started around a corner to the right the DPS started locking and causing me to jump from one side of the lane to the other. I decided to get off the superslab and take the outer road the rest of the way. Even at 40-50 mph I could only turn right in jerking motions. Funny thing it was only too the right left turns worked perfect. How did Cowtown time this so well, Hect if I had not took the Spyder out an extra time last week I might have made it to the dealer before it went bad.
They installed the new DPS and a couple of hours later I was headed home. It does steer easier and maybe more sensitive however the wind was pretty bad on the way home so it could have been that. I will admit I will have to learn to relax the death grip on the handlebars again. There may be a permanent stretch mark in the seat cover from the pucker factor the last 20 miles.

docdoru
11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
It does steer easier and maybe more sensitive however the wind was pretty bad on the way home so it could have been that.
It wasn't the wind: the new gen DPS are much more sensitive especially in triple digit speeds. ;)

dltang
11-19-2010, 06:31 PM
It wasn't the wind: the new gen DPS are much more sensitive especially in triple digit speeds. ;)

I'll let you know after I get mine back this weekend...LOL. I am almost sorry I had to take mine in. It was steering just fine. I picked up Brian's and dropped mine off. He says he really can tell a difference in his steering now. I can't tell any difference from his new DPS and my current. Guess I will see how it goes.

BumbleBee
11-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I am glad everything went alright and that you are okay. :2thumbs:

Bad timing, that this had to be happening on the freeway. :yikes:

Painter Dan
11-19-2010, 07:40 PM
I am glad everything went alright and that you are okay. :2thumbs:

Bad timing, that this had to be happening on the freeway. :yikes:
:agree:

pitbull
11-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry Molee! I told them not to hit the button till they heard your hindle......... Second thought maybe I should of said saw the whites of your eyes that hindle is pretty loud!!!!! Glad it turned out ok! And your safe! And once again it was great to see you guys today!

Mo Lee
11-20-2010, 02:07 AM
Sorry Molee! I told them not to hit the button till they heard your hindle......... Second thought maybe I should of said saw the whites of your eyes that hindle is pretty loud!!!!! Glad it turned out ok! And your safe! And once again it was great to see you guys today!
Must admit I did have a little trouble keeping it straight when I left the store, however I let off on the throttle a little and it straightened right out.

SpyderWolf
11-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Glad to hear you made it there safely, and the timing was so good for you as well.

We are still waiting to hear from the dealer on a DPS replacement for our Spyders. Fortunately neither one of us has had any issues so far.

Mo Lee
11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Was able to ride the Spyder on the way to work today. Wanted to see how it handled on a road that I ride everyday, as most have already said the new DPS is more sensitive and steers easier. It was still very windy today but it seems to want to follow grooves in the road more now than before, maybe I just need to get used to it. I don't know if it was the same for everyone but when my DPS failed it was not because it was locking it was because it was applying to much assist at the wrong times. I think I like the new DPS and I just need to build confidence it the steering again.

JT Spyder
11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm sure everyone, on this site at least, has heard how lucky a few of us are to have them as our dealer. You ain't gonna believe this ****. I've been waiting on them to get a DPS for my Spyder since the recall, well last Friday they said they had one and scheduled me for today to have it installed. The temp today was in the upper 30s and I was running 80ish on I44 as I was coming thru Rolla Mo about 20 miles from Cowtown the speed limit dropped to 60 and that slowed me to 70 as i started around a corner to the right the DPS started locking and causing me to jump from one side of the lane to the other. I decided to get off the superslab and take the outer road the rest of the way. Even at 40-50 mph I could only turn right in jerking motions. Funny thing it was only too the right left turns worked perfect. How did Cowtown time this so well, Hect if I had not took the Spyder out an extra time last week I might have made it to the dealer before it went bad.
They installed the new DPS and a couple of hours later I was headed home. It does steer easier and maybe more sensitive however the wind was pretty bad on the way home so it could have been that. I will admit I will have to learn to relax the death grip on the handlebars again. There may be a permanent stretch mark in the seat cover from the pucker factor the last 20 miles.

This is not good news for those of us... me... who are still in 'practice' mode and thus no experience to handle the malfunction as well as Mo Lee. I am told that I will not receive my DPS until Spring and that there is no problem ... but... this sounds like a problem and makes me apprehensive... the word "yipes" comes to mind...:dontknow:

pitbull
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
This is not good news for those of us... me... who are still in 'practice' mode and thus no experience to handle the malfunction as well as Mo Lee. I am told that I will not receive my DPS until Spring and that there is no problem ... but... this sounds like a problem and makes me apprehensive... the word "yipes" comes to mind...:dontknow:

No worries jtspyder, I will see what I can do to speed up your process, but year to date we have never had a problem with a rt Spyder, also Molee's is the first ever dps fail we have had out of all the spyders we've sold. So I wouldn't worrie to much at all. We will get you taken care of as soon as we can, just wanted to give you some peace of mind, also I haven't noticed as big of a change on the rt's dps upgrade as I have with rs's. Any concerns feel free to call me. My cell is 314-623-4743 also nice to see you on the forms. Lol and promise not to have the shop press the magic button lol:roflblack:

Mo Lee
11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Darn magic button, if you want me to come visit just tell me instead of hitting the button. Funny Len I PMed Jtspyder and said just about the same thing.

pitbull
11-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Darn magic button, if you want me to come visit just tell me instead of hitting the button. Funny Len I PMed Jtspyder and said just about the same thing.

Well sometimes you have to use extrem measures to get your friends in the store. Huuuummmmm I'm thinking I really should start installing a dohickey to do just so......and it's all your fault lee!!!!!:roflblack: I want to see my friend, I hit the magic button and presto, you guys are all on the way :-)....... To funny, and thanks lee. Just want everyone confident in there bikes..... BRP did make well put there name on the ralley and it was bad, but the spyders are great machines, not with out issues, but I did have to push load to broke down harleys on the way to sturgis and pull a Honda back to the tralier, so I guess it all breaks. Lol man made it, it will have issues.:thumbup: