PDA

View Full Version : Lost key, Help!

sealfloorboards
11-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Need Help. I lost one of my Spyder keys. Does anyone know what I need to do to get a new one? I feel very insecure riding around with just one key, especially while I'm a long way from home. Any help will be apprciated.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

dave01
11-18-2010, 05:14 PM
I believe the dealer can get you one but they will have to reprogram both keys once you get the replacement.

NancysToy
11-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I believe the dealer can get you one but they will have to reprogram both keys once you get the replacement.
:agree: Guard the other one with your life, until you can get to your dealer. If you lose both keys, you will need a new DESS (security module), as well as the expensive keys. Not likely a dealer has any of this in stock, including the key, so it will have to wait until you get home.

RShrimp
11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=647&pictureid=7675

cjackg
11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
My RT came with only one key. I was able to buy a blank BRP key at Alcoa Good Times in Knoxville but it cost me $40 !
Then it has to be cut, and programmed.

One problem is most places can't begin to cut a special key like this, so you have to find a serious speciality lock shop. I found one locally and cutting the key was only $2. but, it still needed to be programmed...

That is a simple procedure but requires a master program key from BRP and usually is only done by a Can-Am dealer.

My local Can-Am dealer offered to do it, for another $40+, but a much more friendly dealer in Ga did it free when I was there for recall service!

and yes, guard the single key with your life because losing both keys is a near death experience!

Bob Denman
11-18-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=647&pictureid=7675
Is there any downside to drilling the key? (I mean other than if you manage to hit the circuitry contrained in it! :shocked:) Do you think that putting a hole in it might let moisture in; potentially killing the electronics? :shocked: :shocked:

NancysToy
11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Is there any downside to drilling the key? (I mean other than if you manage to hit the circuitry contrained in it! :shocked:) Do you think that putting a hole in it might let moisture in; potentially killing the electronics? :shocked: :shocked:
The downside to me is all that crap dangling from a jiggling, bouncing key ring. It scratches up the handlebars or switch housing, and other keys on the ring make it worse. If all you have attached is a soft fob, why not just attach that to the sheath, and keep it in your pocket? I like the keys just the way they are. The Spyders are our only machines without marks around the switches. That's a plus in my book.

clueless
11-19-2010, 12:19 AM
The downside to me is all that crap dangling from a jiggling, bouncing key ring. It scratches up the handlebars or switch housing, and other keys on the ring make it worse. If all you have attached is a soft fob, why not just attach that to the sheath, and keep it in your pocket? I like the keys just the way they are. The Spyders are our only machines without marks around the switches. That's a plus in my book.

yeah but the sheeth doesnt hold my key very securely... wish they would have given us the option with a keyhole to use a soft key fob if we wanted to. i just got a couple recently from a vendor that would work, light weight spongy type key chain fob.

vtspyder
11-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Both of our spyders came from the dealer with little tags which were located in the manual pouch in the trunk. These tags have the code for the keys. They told me I can just call with the code and the dealer will order new keys.I keep the codes in the file with the paperwork. They told me if I lost the code tags it's a royal PITA to get the new keys.

wyliec
11-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Both of our spyders came from the dealer with little tags which were located in the manual pouch in the trunk. These tags have the code for the keys. They told me I can just call with the code and the dealer will order new keys.I keep the codes in the file with the paperwork. They told me if I lost the code tags it's a royal PITA to get the new keys.

I have the tags too. But, in a previous post when I mentioned the tags, one of the members said that you still need one of the (old) keys when the new key is programmed. Supposedly the tag is only used to program the key machine to cut it.:dontknow:

sealfloorboards
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Wow! I think I made a major screw-up! Thanks all for the info. I WILL guard it with my life! Maybe I can get a new one at SpyderFest.

Ride in comfort,

John
Seal FloorBoards

Roger
11-19-2010, 07:49 AM
:agree:especially with jiggling and the scratching.

Bob Denman
11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
yeah but the sheeth doesnt hold my key very securely... wish they would have given us the option with a keyhole to use a soft key fob if we wanted to. i just got a couple recently from a vendor that would work, light weight spongy type key chain fob.

My sheaths seem to grasp the keys securly... for now! I wondered about using them over the course of several years if they would loosen up and keys would be in the dirt... :shocked: (looking at options and not sure of what to do!)

RShrimp
11-19-2010, 07:58 AM

And the upside is ....
1. You don't loose your key!
2. Spyder key, Bag key, and Alarm remote all on one ring
3. No stupid clips to fail

Solved the downside with a bit of velcro.......
Just presenting the options here ..... so you can make an informed choice. That choice, of course, is yours .....

NancysToy
11-19-2010, 08:43 AM
It should hold very well. Are you sure you are pushing it in all the way...until it clicks? At that point the key will be completely bottomed out, with none of the key shaft showing. The only failures I have heard of were caused by not "cliicking" the key into the sheath. Ours have held well for nearly three years now.

clueless
11-19-2010, 08:56 AM
yes key all the way in but if its on a key chain not sure if it snags on jean pockets it will not pull out of sheath... :yikes: just dont have a warm fuzzy feeling that it is totally secure.

no real good answer but i too like to carry the key maybe a krypton lock key or sometimes use a Disk Brake alarm (have not seen if it will fit but should fit on Spyder. so that key on same keychain would be nice.

MouthPiece
11-19-2010, 10:00 AM
There was another thread similar, if not identical, to this thread reference spare key. I think it may have dealt more with where to put the spare key. "Guard it with your life" is an excellent option, but where to put it?

Some in the other thread suggested putting the spare key in either the frunk or runk. There were down sides to both. I thought of taking some styrafoam and hallowing out a spot for the key and placing in the glove box (on the RT-S).

However, I ultimately came up with taking some black "gorrilla tape" and taping it to the underside of the glove box. My thought process was that when you open the glove box, it does not open all the way. Consequently, it is very difficult to see the under portion of the glove box cover. If some intruder were to open the glove box, they probably (and that is a big one) will not see the key taped underneath. Their focus will be on what is inside the box.

Sorry if I misdirected the intent of this thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

Chris PE# 0004

Lamonster
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM

Not likely but you could burn the hole in and that would seal it.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=11353

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2&pictureid=11354

This is my fix :D
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21519

vtspyder
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I have the tags too. But, in a previous post when I mentioned the tags, one of the members said that you still need one of the (old) keys when the new key is programmed. Supposedly the tag is only used to program the key machine to cut it.:dontknow:

OUCH! Better keep track of my second key "still".

Gordy
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I carry both keys in the sheath on a lanyard oround my neck I find this very handy.Keys fit very tight in the sheath no chance of them falling out:thumbup:

sealfloorboards
11-19-2010, 04:21 PM
pitbull buggy says I can get a new key at SpyderFest. Now I just have to guard this key with my life. Thanks to all for your help.

Now that's a floorBoard!

John
Seal FloorBoards