PDA

View Full Version : Spyder in the snow!

Questions
11-13-2010, 07:10 PM
yes...we've been procrastinating here in Minnesota and haven't stored the bikes yet.

When we got over 6 inches last night (of snow!), the wife said "F*&#% it! I'm riding!"

ya just can't keep a spyder rider down...http://www.friedpenguin.com/images/snowspyder.jpg

:2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
:2thumbs: so how did she like it?

XLT
11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I've heard of "Snow Angels" , but snow Spyders?......Well maybe in this photo the Angel is using the Spyder instead of her wings.:2thumbs:

Rider Steve
11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Yes, snow spiders do exist.

http://themarvelousinnature.wordpress.com/2010/02/05/snow-spiders/

Oldmanzues
11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Good for her. Where were you ?

Old Man Zues

Questions
11-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Taking the picture.
:duh:

Seriously...my 2-wheel bike doesn't do well in snow.

Questions
11-14-2010, 10:23 AM
How did she like it?

Cold wasn't a problem. Streets that had been plowed, although still had a little snow were no problem. Unplowed streets were...interesting. The front tires don't match the tracks of the cars and the rear tire is trying to plow through full snow depth. Overall, she reported that it was like a car without snow tires and that all of the anti-skid, blah, blah, blah was useless.

There was a loud clicking noise when she was moving. Weird. Didn't seem to correspond with the tires or belt.

boborgera
11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
How did she like it?

There was a loud clicking noise when she was moving. Weird. Didn't seem to correspond with the tires or belt.

:thumbup:
Traction Control/Anti lock was kicking in,
That's normal in slippery conditions.

Questions
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
That makes sense.

groundeffect
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
yes...we've been procrastinating here in Minnesota and haven't stored the bikes yet.

When we got over 6 inches last night (of snow!), the wife said "F*&#% it! I'm riding!"

ya just can't keep a spyder rider down...http://www.friedpenguin.com/images/snowspyder.jpg

:2thumbs:

Awesome !:thumbup:

Boriken
11-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Awesome !:thumbup:
:agree:

awood279
11-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Freakin' Sweet!!! Tell her I think she's got ovaries of steel!!! LOL!!!:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
11-15-2010, 08:06 AM
You just have to be careful of the "snow snakes" in Wintertime conditions :roflblack:
With the Electronic Nanny keeping her hand on the controls I'm almost surprised that BRP doesn't kind of say that it's okay to go play in this sort of weather... liability be damned!

High School parking lot on a Saturday morning.... WOO-HOO!

jgwoods
11-15-2010, 09:01 AM
I find them to be very poor in the snow. Better than 2 wheels but not much traction at all, then the nanny kicks in a lot and makes it hard to gain any speed if you are sliding back and forth as you accelerate. Forget doing donuts. The same electronic features that keep you safe at speed on pavement kick in way too early when the roads get slippery with snow.

I ride all Winter here in MA but when it snows I leave it home until the next day. If it snows when I am at work I can get home on it, but I won't say it's fun. More safe and slow.

NancysToy
11-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I find them to be very poor in the snow. Better than 2 wheels but not much traction at all, then the nanny kicks in a lot and makes it hard to gain any speed if you are sliding back and forth as you accelerate. Forget doing donuts. The same electronic features that keep you safe at speed on pavement kick in way too early when the roads get slippery with snow.

I ride all Winter here in MA but when it snows I leave it home until the next day. If it snows when I am at work I an get hom eon it, but I won't say it's fun. More safe and slow.
:agree: If you live in the North, and own a Spyder, you have to try it just once, though.

...and remember, salt is the enemy!

Bob Denman
11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
BRP makes MUCH better vehicles for use in the snow...

dlittle
11-15-2010, 03:12 PM
:agree: If you live in the North, and own a Spyder, you have to try it just once, though.

What about those of us in the south that get snow? The ski hill is only about 7 miles from my house and I'm most definitely NOT in the north. Being at 7200 feet is REALLY nice in the south -- we seldom hit 95 degrees during the summer and have a mild winter compared to most places.

Dennis

ArmyJoe
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
...and remember, salt is the enemy!

I'll take mine out in the winter, but not until I'm sure there's no trace of salt left on the road. I've seen enough pictures and comments on salt corrosion on these boards to know better.

NancysToy
11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
What about those of us in the south that get snow? The ski hill is only about 7 miles from my house and I'm most definitely NOT in the north. Being at 7200 feet is REALLY nice in the south -- we seldom hit 95 degrees during the summer and have a mild winter compared to most places.

Dennis
:D OK, those that live in the North or at altitude...

Not sure I would care for mountain roads in the snow, however, and I doubt the Spyder would appreciate snow chains. :yikes:

grumpybob
11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
Just ordered the custom winter conversion package for the spYder. Should get it delivered in about ten days. 7-8 hours to convert it. Will have to take pictures when done.

mindman
11-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Just ordered the custom winter conversion package for the spYder. Should get it delivered in about ten days. 7-8 hours to convert it. Will have to take pictures when done.
What the heck is the winter conversion package? Sounds very interesting! Do tell!

spyder77
11-15-2010, 06:42 PM
What the heck is the winter conversion package? Sounds very interesting! Do tell!

Me too?????????? WHAT????:dontknow:

SpyderGirl
11-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Love it!! So glad I don't live in a snowy place anymore.

Bob Denman
11-16-2010, 07:47 AM

Okay Grumpy... What have you got in mind??? :shocked:

grumpybob
11-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Okay Grumpy... What have you got in mind??? :shocked:
Will send pic's if/when it is done.

wyliec
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM

skis/track

dltang
11-16-2010, 08:02 PM

Probably the opposite of this conversion package for a snowmobile. Retractable wheels that you put on your snowmobile for road riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlybifvzn-s&feature=related

bjt
11-16-2010, 08:18 PM

I ride all Winter here in MA but when it snows I leave it home until the next day. If it snows when I am at work I can get home on it, but I won't say it's fun. More safe and slow.

I've had the exact same experience and do the same things.

groundeffect
11-17-2010, 06:06 AM
I've had the exact same experience and do the same things.

I ride all year round here in Newfoundland, but not when it's really snowing out... mostly only when the roads are cleared, at least somewhat. Otherwise I'm taking a bus or walking it. :thumbup: