PDA

View Full Version : New Member- Tyler

Phil
11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Greetings all! A little introduction...

About 3 weeks ago, I bought an RT PE used (4500 miles) and am loving it. Formerly owned by a former Dallas Cowboy. My wife and I are empty nesters and are just getting the bug to ride. I did the Texas Motorsports training this past summer and my wife will likely do hers this Spring. INVALUABLE training. Lots of great riders in our church. We went out last Saturday with a small group of them and it was a 110% hit for both of us.

I'm an electrical & lighting nut :). I have several LED kits in hand and am waiting for the right day(s) to tear the bike down and put in the pretties. First, I'll be adding the Evoluzione Power Bus to try to set things up right. I also own a Hyundai Genesis and have changed out lots of incandescent lights for better and brighter LEDs. Anyone have suggestions like- "you BETTER do ___ first' on the Spyder? I'm not looking for gaudy. I'm going for a subtle 'cool' look. The bike is black and I'm doing most of the lighting in UV/purple.

BIG questions/issue--- Like others on the forum, I'm really disappointed at the fact that you need the almost useless CB to have driver/rider intercom. I fully agree that a totally Bluetooth solution that would interface with the existing audio and then allow intercom, cell, GPS, etc. would SELL! Anyone know if any after-market folks are working on a solution? If I'm willing to shell out $1000-$1500, is there a solution that most everyone likes? My bride of 25 years and I actually do like to chat with each other and I'm trying to find that 'ultimate' solution.

I own a software company (God owns it, I just show up for work) with 34 very smart people. We HQ in Tyler and have an office in the UK and primary resellers in Australia, Mexico and South America. Motorola is also our largest reseller with global offices. Web sites -- www.GenesisWorld.com (http://www.GenesisWorld.com) and am in process of construction a 35,000sqft GREEN office building- www.CorporateGreenTyler.com (http://www.CorporateGreenTyler.com) & www.BurksGenCore.com/green (http://www.BurksGenCore.com/green) (blog). The biggest motto we live by at Genesis is that everything has to be CHIFF---Clever, High quality, Innovative, Functional, and Fun.

I'm on a few other forums and I have to say that you have done a GREAT job with this one- management, organization, policing.... If any forum members find themselves in Tyler, we have coffee and cold diet Dr Pepper handy at all times! Feel free to stop in, I'd love to meet.

Blessings....
Phil (still working on the signature & avitar)

SpyderSteve
11-11-2010, 01:38 PM
:congrats: and welcome

DynamoBT
11-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Congratulations!! Hope you and your wife have a blast!!!

usurp31
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Welcome and congrats on your new to you Spyder!! I too just purchased one recently and joined the site. I was at Richardson Motorsports in DFW a few weeks ago and they had a RS-SE that they said was owned by a Cowboys player with virtually no miles on it. I was told he drove it to practice and that the mgmt reminded him that his contract did not allow them to own/ride motorcycles. Spyders must be popular with those guys. :ohyea: I look forward to hearing your solution for the intercom system as well. See you on the site.

pjp623
11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
:congrats: & welcome Communication is over-rated, just enjoy the ryde!

pastorchuck
11-11-2010, 05:18 PM
:congrats:welcome

Phil,

We have a large group of riders in our church, also, and always have a great time ryding together. Enjoy!

Chuck

YPILOT
11-11-2010, 05:24 PM
welcome Phil, You and your wife will love the Spyder. The only trouble that you'll have now is finding time to get anything else done. Enjoy! :doorag:

harddrive
11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
:congrats: on the RTS and welcome...I am jealous...;).
On the blue tooth intercom, I have ordered the Sena dual set that will fit on any helmet so I can listen to my music without wires and talk to my bride. I think there are post about it here, but I got it from Amazon for 255...and it should be in anyday...

Phil
11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
:congrats: on the RTS and welcome...I am jealous...;).
On the blue tooth intercom, I have ordered the Sena dual set that will fit on any helmet so I can listen to my music without wires and talk to my bride. I think there are post about it here, but I got it from Amazon for 255...and it should be in anyday...

I'll definately check on that. Thanks!

I did find another thread on possibly taking the output from the speakers and running that into the Aux input of another intercom controller. Not sure of the difficulty order of magnitude, but I believe if a plug compatible (or nearly compatable) Bluetooth device was available to go in place of the CB, it should sell. Issue might be- how many could they sell. STILL searching :doorag:

Sarge707
11-11-2010, 05:41 PM
:congrats: On the RTS!! My condolences on the Cowboys who meet Big Jet Blue again this Sunday! (We disable Quarterbacks?)

SpyderAnn01
11-11-2010, 07:00 PM
:congrats: and welcome

Phil
11-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I'll definitely check on that. Thanks!

I did find another thread on possibly taking the output from the speakers and running that into the Aux input of another intercom controller. Not sure of the difficulty order of magnitude, but I believe if a plug compatible (or nearly compatible) Bluetooth device was available to go in place of the CB, it should sell. Issue might be- how many could they sell. STILL searching :doorag:

UPDATE to my own post....
It's been quiet in my office today which is always dangerous! BUT I think I have this worked out. I took the advice on the SENA SMH10 and just purchased a set. I have a TomTom GO 930 that speaks Bluetooth and then my iPhone. I'll stop with the magic there for the moment, but I'm going to SEE if there is a way to port my stock Spyder FM and WX audio into the TomTom (seems like there is a way if there is no Bluetooth conflict). As an alternative, I'm getting a $50 MP3 (aka a generic headphone level audio input) to Bluetooth out module that I'll mount in the bike. I can then pair the Sena with it. The Sena may not allow all 3 sources at once, but I'm generally fine selecting between 2 sources.

Whew! Thanks for all of the GREAT posts. If I get this all worked out, I'll post the results in the Tech area. Sorry of all of the Tech stuff in this thread. I got on a roll.
Phil

docdoru
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
welcome:congrats: for your :spyder:

usurp31
11-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Phil, I was simultaneously looking at the SENA SMH10 as well - it looks like that will be the direction I go also. I am hoping to see the product at the Dallas Motorcycle Show this weekend so that I can see it up close. I was also going to price them today to see who had the best deal on a set. :congrats:

bullant12
11-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Welcome to :spyder:lovers!

I used to live in the Texarkana area from '04-09. Left a bunch of good friends and looking forward with our RT "Gray Recluse" to go visit the area often. Hope to see you in Cuba if you can make it and let me know if you got any products to test.

LDFIREWORKS
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
welcome:congrats:

XLT
11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
welcome!:2thumbs:

Riversong
11-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Welcome Phil and wife. The Spyder gets better and better and you will enjoy very much. My wife and I have the Cardo teamset which cost around $250 and works great for helmet to helmet cmmunication with no wires. I understand it will also bluetooth to a GPS or IPOD but we haven't tried that yet. Cardo Scala also has more advanced models that let you talk to other bikes, but for our purposes the cardo teamset is just perrfect. Welcome aboard.

Marker
11-13-2010, 05:34 PM
welcome:congrats::2thumbs:

hotbot
11-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Hello and Welcome, We live in Winona, just outside Tyler , maybe we could get together and ride sometime we have a custom painted rs (painted to looks like a transformer) with guns mounted on the front. just got back from Galveston,lone star rally. it was great fun. :ohyea:welcomeBill:congrats:

YOUBET
11-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Welcome aboard... welcome

Live in Granbury, ride mostly in North Texas and once in a while down to the Hill Country. We may go to Cuba, MO this year, but will most likely trailer.

Our other interest involves flying, and we visit the Tyler Airport often, usually on Sunday to go to the restaurant on the field.

In fact, we'll be there today meeting for lunch at Noon, and going to the museum at 1:00 PM.

Tyler is a great place, and Spyders are the best!

Cheers,

YOUBET

harddrive
11-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey Phil,

I just wanted to let you know that I recieved my Sena Dual units on Friday :yes:and installed them into the helmets :2thumbs:. The install was pretty easy and I was able to pair mine to my iphone, ipod with a bluetooth adapter, a RoadTech zumo 660, and my wives head set. We tested it around the house and so far is works awesome... Pairing was pretty easy, once I pressed the right button on the head set.:ohyea:

Can't wait to get out and test it on the Road. :2excited: :thumbup:

Ricky (Harddrive)

glynnk
11-14-2010, 07:36 PM
My wife and I lived in Longview for 30 years, retired moved down to the Houston area to be closer to kids/grandkids. Rode up there with the Smith County Southern Crusiers Chapter and when I got down here transferred to the Cypress Creek Chapter. All bikes group, no dues just folks interested in riding. Chapter down here has me and two other Spyder ryders. The First Officer of the Smith County SCRC Chapter is a good friend--Bob Dillon. Give him a call and find out more about the Chapter. I'm sure you'd be a welcomed addition. As I recall, they have a Yahoo Group site. You might check them out. PM me and I'll give you his cell number.

Glynnk

Phil
11-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Hey Phil,

I just wanted to let you know that I recieved my Sena Dual units on Friday :yes:and installed them into the helmets :2thumbs:. The install was pretty easy and I was able to pair mine to my iphone, ipod with a bluetooth adapter, a RoadTech zumo 660, and my wives head set. We tested it around the house and so far is works awesome... Pairing was pretty easy, once I pressed the right button on the head set.:ohyea:

Can't wait to get out and test it on the Road. :2excited: :thumbup:

Ricky (Harddrive)
PERFECT! Thanks Harddrive. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I should get mine later this week. I'll give a report in the tech area. I MISSED getting them Friday by 30min!
Phil

Phil
11-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Welcome aboard... welcome

Live in Granbury, ride mostly in North Texas and once in a while down to the Hill Country. We may go to Cuba, MO this year, but will most likely trailer.

Our other interest involves flying, and we visit the Tyler Airport often, usually on Sunday to go to the restaurant on the field.

In fact, we'll be there today meeting for lunch at Noon, and going to the museum at 1:00 PM.

Tyler is a great place, and Spyders are the best!

Cheers,

YOUBET

Hey YOUBET! Man I hate that I didn't get to read your post until now. I sure would have ridden out to the airport to say hi. Cleaned carpet instead :).
Phil

Phil
11-14-2010, 11:10 PM
My wife and I lived in Longview for 30 years, retired moved down to the Houston area to be closer to kids/grandkids. Rode up there with the Smith County Southern Crusiers Chapter and when I got down here transferred to the Cypress Creek Chapter. All bikes group, no dues just folks interested in riding. Chapter down here has me and two other Spyder ryders. The First Officer of the Smith County SCRC Chapter is a good friend--Bob Dillon. Give him a call and find out more about the Chapter. I'm sure you'd be a welcomed addition. As I recall, they have a Yahoo Group site. You might check them out. PM me and I'll give you his cell number.

Glynnk
Hey Glynnk- I'll check out their website for sure. I ran into a guy promoting a local club while at a Victory event at Broadway Motor Sports. Bob's Dillon's name rings a bell. I'll check it out. My business and travel leaves me reasonably little time for extra stuff. Thanks!
Phil

eddieshep999
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I have been following your post ref Intercom etc
I have the following question if you or others could answe ref
the Sena MH10 Dual system

Sir

I have Bluetoothed My MP3 Player using a Sony
Bluetooth Dongle - Sony TMR-BT10 Bluetooth A2DP Transmitter 3.5mm Adapter with the Sena SMH10 Dual system

It works fine on both headsets as I have the Dual system but I can only get it to work on One Headset at a time - How can both headsets receive Music and GPS at the same time
Do I have to use 2 x 3.5mm Audio leads with a splitter

They are excellent Heasets and the reason I purchased them was for the Bluetooth facility

Any information useful

Eddie Sheppard

sidelmad
11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
welcome:congrats:

flamingobabe
11-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Welcome to :spyder2:lovers....

ntxYguy2009
11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
welcome and :congrats: on your new :spyder2:!

David

rcantrell52
11-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Phil,
I am Reese Cantrell and Ann (wife) and I live in Tyler. We bought our Spyder 2010 RS-SE5 on 11/20. It's our 1st cycle ever and we're staring at age 60. Maybe we can meet in the near future!
Sincerely,
Reese Cantrell

Phil
11-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Phil,
I am Reese Cantrell and Ann (wife) and I live in Tyler. We bought our Spyder 2010 RS-SE5 on 11/20. It's our 1st cycle ever and we're staring at age 60. Maybe we can meet in the near future!
Sincerely,
Reese Cantrell

Hey Reese!! First, congrats on the bike:clap: I'd love it if we could meet up!! I'll try to send you a private message with my cell number. If that doesn't get to you, feel free to call my office Monday. http://www.genesisworld.com/contact.asp will get you what you need!!

SpyderRyder10
01-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey, that Reese Cantrell guy is my wonderful big brother and only sibling, and his lovely wife, Ann, is my precious SIL. I jumped into this hobby hook, line, and sinker on Christmas Day 2010 when Reese and Ann showed me their new Spyder. My husband knew he was in trouble the minute I sat on their Spyder. Mine is exactly like theirs (sorry guys). Would love to hook up for a ride with you all, as well as my hubby. We are currently trying to find him a Spyder so he can ride solo (he's a big guy @ 6'5").

I hope it was okay to crash the East Texas Chapter thread. Just so glad to be involved in this hobby, and thankful to Reese & Ann for introducing it to my husband and I. :2thumbs:

Cheers!
Mary

Phil
01-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Hey, that Reese Cantrell guy is my wonderful big brother and only sibling, and his lovely wife, Ann, is my precious SIL. I jumped into this hobby hook, line, and sinker on Christmas Day 2010 when Reese and Ann showed me their new Spyder. My husband knew he was in trouble the minute I sat on their Spyder. Mine is exactly like theirs (sorry guys). Would love to hook up for a ride with you all, as well as my hubby. We are currently trying to find him a Spyder so he can ride solo (he's a big guy @ 6'5").

I hope it was okay to crash the East Texas Chapter thread. Just so glad to be involved in this hobby, and thankful to Reese & Ann for introducing it to my husband and I. :2thumbs:

Cheers!
Mary

Hey Mary! WELCOME to the addiction! Reese and I know each other. He came over my place and looked at my RTS and I then met Ann at a motorcycle show several weeks ago. GREAT folks! I have mine in pieces right now doing more mods (mostly lighting). When things warm a bit, we'll get together.

Phil
03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Hello and Welcome, We live in Winona, just outside Tyler , maybe we could get together and ride sometime we have a custom painted rs (painted to looks like a transformer) with guns mounted on the front. just got back from Galveston,lone star rally. it was great fun. :ohyea:welcomeBill:congrats:

BILL--- I am SO SORRY :gaah:I just went back and searched for Winona and found that YOU had welcomed me last year!! I'm embarrassed. :opps:

It was so great meeting you and your wife this evening !! I'll post a couple of pics in another thread.

hotbot
03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
There is no reason to be sorry!!! we really enjoyed meeting you and your wife and hope to possibly get together for a ride sometime:spyder2::thumbup::welcome: ? Thanks, Bill