PDA

View Full Version : Spyder is hibernating for winter

Diggertoy
11-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Well, looks like its that time, the coldest weather I rode my Spyder in was -6 and it had snowed that day, its a little chilly on pretty much only the hands.

What are some good hints for me to do when storing it this year, our winters go down to about -40 , my garage should be just above freezing, should I take out the battery or??? Any suggestions would be great.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww311/CoryLyn80/imagesCA24Y27A.jpg
:coffee:

lightman02
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, looks like its that time, the coldest weather I rode my Spyder in was -6 and it had snowed that day, its a little chilly on pretty much only the hands.

What are some good hints for me to do when storing it this year, our winters go down to about -40 , my garage should be just above freezing, should I take out the battery or??? Any suggestions would be great.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww311/CoryLyn80/imagesCA24Y27A.jpg
:coffee:

Either take out the battery and keep it in a warm place, or you can leave it in but I would recomend keeping it on an tenerdizer while it's in the bike if you choose to leave it in. Also BRP recomends you do an oil change before winter storage however if you're not due for an oil change then you can just leave it be. If you don't plan on running the bike every so often in the winter then I would remove the spark plugs and spray some fogging oil in the cylinders, reinstall the plugs but not the wire then turn the engine over a few times to distribute the oil, then reattach the wires but dont turn over the bike again till your ready to ride. You also might want to greese your zerk fittings so you are all ready to go at the start of the season. But considering you are storing it in a garage the battery is probably the most important thing to keep on the up and up. People usually like to jack them off the ground to protect the tires from sitting in the same spot, also you can fill your tank with fuel and add stabilizer.