PDA

View Full Version : Cane Sling.

FSUGrad
11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I bought a sling for my wheelchair to carry my cane in for walking short distances but as had nowhere to put my cane on the Spyder, I attached it to the handlebars. I realize that this is not the most ideal placement and am thinking about buying a folding cane just for my bike. I have owned 2 of these in the past but have "fused" the extensions due to the pressure that I put onto the cane when walking.
Does anyone else use a cane and can you give me any tips on a better placement or different set-up?
Thanks, FSUGrad

NancysToy
11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
When my wife had to carry hers, she strapped it across the passenger seat, attached to the grab rails. It also worked starped alongside the seat lengthwise, although the rider and passenger had to straddle it. The small Rok-Straps worked well for strapping it down. Those universal velrco straps work OK, too.

SpyderAnn01
11-06-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a couple of 2-wheel friends that have mounted a piece of PVC to their front forks that they slip their canes into. I'm not sure where the best place would be on an RT to mount this.

Riversong
11-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Go Noles! I was at the game this saturday against North Carolina and as you know we lost a heartbreaker, that makes two in a row. Thanks for your service FSUgrad

Star Cruiser
11-13-2010, 04:23 AM
I bought a sling for my wheelchair to carry my cane in for walking short distances but as had nowhere to put my cane on the Spyder, I attached it to the handlebars. I realize that this is not the most ideal placement and am thinking about buying a folding cane just for my bike. I have owned 2 of these in the past but have "fused" the extensions due to the pressure that I put onto the cane when walking.
Does anyone else use a cane and can you give me any tips on a better placement or different set-up?
Thanks, FSUGrad

I Have a folding cane and it works for me. There is also folding crutches but they are a little longer as they only fold in half. Search on "crutches as i posted a pic quite a while ago and can't find it now.
Another option that might work is a Rifle holder sold for ATV's. You could probably put your cane or a set of crutches in one. I haven't personally tried one, but the concept sounds feasible

woodchuck
11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks, FSUGrad

I purchased a folding cane just for riding the:spyder2:. Works out ok because you can fold it and put it in the front.

ARtraveler
11-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I went with a folding cane and put in in the frunk. There are some heavy duty ones out there if you are having problems with fusing the joints due to pressure.

Bob Denman
11-16-2010, 08:42 AM
Folding canes?? I'm sort of new to this whole issue... Is this just something that a medical supply store can either stock or order for you? Heavy duty or better would be a must! :shocked:

Star Cruiser
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Folding canes?? I'm sort of new to this whole issue... Is this just something that a medical supply store can either stock or order for you? Heavy duty or better would be a must! :shocked:

Yes, they would be carried by most medical supply stores. Walgreens and similar stores. In Canada we can get them at most Shoppers Drug Marts and Pharmaprix as well as CMS Stores. I also have folding crutches which are about 25 - 30 inches when folded. I haven't seen "heavy duty" canes, but I'm sure there must be some available. I will try to get a photo out of both the Cane and Crutches (if I can remember how to get one on here again).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10584850@N07/3698451923/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/10584850@N07/3699243196/in/photostream/

mushroom
11-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Monopod works for this spyder rider, and can also use it for its intended purpose. Thought you was riding My silver spyder when I saw your picture.

Lots of luck on your cane hunt and keep on riding like this old (84) rider

Don

wingie
11-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I use a folding cane so can put in trunk.Also use a bungie cord to attach it to hand rails on the back seat. I need to swing my legs up and over the front part of the bike so the cane on the rear no problem. wingie

Bob Denman
11-26-2010, 07:02 PM
I found a Heavy-Duty collapsible model that fits in the Frunk... :thumbup:

ScottyB
11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks, FSUGrad
Hi,
I recently lost my ability to walk prior to my knee replacement. During my rehabilitation and at times today I still need to walk with a cane. I own a Spyder RT and after trying to think of where and how to carry my cane/crutch on my Spyder I figured out the best way to carry it was not on the bike but myself.

Get a bicycle inter-tube at Walmart for about $5.00. Cut the inter-tube in half and stretch it end to end. Now cut that in half 9475 the length into two halfs. Tie the inter-tube end to the top and the other end to the bottom of your cane/crutch. No need to leave slack. This way you made a flexible sling and in goes over your head and one arm. It stays securely to the your back and it is easy to put on or off.

Hope this helps

ScottyB

LittleJohn
11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks, FSUGrad

I used a folding cane when I had to carry one. Check around for cane holders for wheelchairs as well. You might be able to adapt something from one of them.

Bob Denman
11-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi,
I recently lost my ability to walk prior to my knee replacement. During my rehabilitation and at times today I still need to walk with a cane. I own a Spyder RT and after trying to think of where and how to carry my cane/crutch on my Spyder I figured out the best way to carry it was not on the bike but myself.

Get a bicycle inter-tube at Walmart for about $5.00. Cut the inter-tube in half and stretch it end to end. Now cut that in half 9475 the length into two halfs. Tie the inter-tube end to the top and the other end to the bottom of your cane/crutch. No need to leave slack. This way you made a flexible sling and in goes over your head and one arm. It stays securely to the your back and it is easy to put on or off.

Hope this helps

ScottyB

Great idea! :2thumbs:

woodchuck
11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi,

Hope this helps

ScottyB

I had my left knee replaced twice. The second time was worst than the first. But now I can walk without a cane. So I just retired my cane. Keep up on the exercises. A Physical Therapist told me that one has to keep exerciseing your knee. She also said that once the muscle behind the knee gets tight from lack of exercise, there is nothing they can do for you. I believe it because a friend of mine had both knees replaced at different times and he could not take the pain of therapy. Now he walks down the steps backwards because of lack of exercise.
Hang in there.

NancysToy
11-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I had my left knee replaced twice. The second time was worst than the first. But now I can walk without a cane. So I just retired my cane. Keep up on the exercises. A Physical Therapist told me that one has to keep exerciseing your knee. She also said that once the muscle behind the knee gets tight from lack of exercise, there is nothing they can do for you. I believe it because a friend of mine had both knees replaced at different times and he could not take the pain of therapy. Now he walks down the steps backwards because of lack of exercise.
Hang in there.
:agree: Nancy's knee set up, partly due to insufficient exercise and stretching, and she had to have it broken loose under anesthetic. Now she exercises faithfully. I just reached the point where I could finally kick my butt again after my partial knee replacement. Took me 15 months to reach that point, with regular exercise and lots of hard work and PT. It is sort of "Use it or lose it."

vt228
11-30-2010, 07:33 PM
i HAVE A CANE THAT COMES APART IN 4 PICES WHEN I PULL IT OUT IT SNAPS TO GETHER GET IT A CVS 22BUCKS WHEN APART 1FT AGUSTABLE CANE WORKS CHECK IT OUT.

racketdave
12-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks, FSUGrad
billy at isci sells cane carriers

Star Cruiser
12-24-2010, 06:17 PM
billy at isci sells cane carriers

As stated earlier, I use the folding cane and it works well for me. I would like to take a looks at the ICSI product if you have a picture. I search the ICSI site but couldn't see one there.
Merry Christmas to everyone out there

SpyderFun
12-25-2010, 08:13 AM
After having more back surgeries than I care to, not to mention all the hardware they put in, a piece of pvc mounted inside the fronk seems to be a good place to store a folding cane while riding.

Those that cannot use the folding canes do represent a unique storage challenge.....will need to do some more thinking on that one!

Merry Christmas Fellow Arachnid Riders!

Star Cruiser
12-25-2010, 03:34 PM
a piece of pvc mounted inside the fronk seems to be a good place to store a folding cane while riding.

Merry Christmas Fellow Arachnid Riders!

What a super idea! I will try to mount one with Velcro for easy removal. Elastic bands wrapped around the folded cane can be a pain and are always getting misplaced