PDA

View Full Version : Vid: spyder shacks during passing curve vid roads in MotoGP Prizewinner Cruise Laps

Derek Paisley
11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I didn't expect to see this happen.

Do you expect the nanny was disengaged somehow?

Can-am spyder shacks during passing curve roads in MotoGP Prizewinner Cruise Laps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1db7jFeL8s8

Yazz
11-06-2010, 07:58 AM
What a trusting passenger!:yikes:

NancysToy
11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't think the nanny was disconnected. You can see it kick in, in some shots, with visible slowing. It appears to just be a combination of horrid riding technique (for a Spyder), plus an idiot passenger that insists on looking around the rider and leaning the wrong way. The overcontrol by the rider is obvious. If he had let the nanny do its job, he would have been better off, but you can see him correcting hard...after the nanny has already settled things down. I guess the race track is no place for your first test ride, no matter what your credentials.

docdoru
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Fired the rider :gaah:

Lamonster
11-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Looks to me that he was just showboating. If I were BRP or the dealer I would be pissed off that they did that. :lecturef_smilie::cus:

WackyDan
11-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Driver is definitely in some cases purposely lifting the wheel.

Otherwise, looks like the shocks weren't set at the highest firmness either. Probably a factory out of the crate RT.

Still... Gives you a pretty good idea of how safe the Spyder can be with the nanny keeping them planted. As a passenger I would have been terrified though.

MouthPiece
11-06-2010, 08:47 AM
When I was at bike week in Daytona this past March, we (spyder riders) had an opportunity to ride the race track in Daytona. It was the route that the bikes would ride in the Daytona 200. Admittedly we were restricted from really getting on it, but some of us cheated.

I know one fella, (can't remember who it was, but I think he was from South Carolina) literally TRIED to climb the track walls until he was hailed down by the "track cops". He said his nanny kicked in then.

For me I tried taking some of the turns in the infield portion and chycane Sp?, as fast as I could. I was new to the spyder and was still trying to learn the limitations of my bike. My nanny never kicked in. My wheels never left the ground either. I agree with Lamont. That dude riding was show boating or in some way was trying to make that spyder look inept. The only thing that looked inept was the rider.

As a side note, I did see quite a few people from the Far East looking at our spyders and were quite inquisitive both at Bike Week and Biketoberfest.

Chris PE# 0004

Derek Paisley
11-06-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree as well.

What a bunch of turds to make it look bad.

Roger
11-06-2010, 09:51 AM
:agree: he was showboating you can see by the quick movement of his arms. I have seen this done by a dealer he was checking the nanny to make sure it was working and he was on an RS he said this is the way to check but i'am sure he does not carry passengers while doing it. I think the driver had some knowledge of the bikes capabilities other wise why do it.

BLACK WIDOW
11-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I agree as well.

What a bunch of turds to make it look bad.

It does look pretty bad.:opps:

Dwight
11-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm sure there was some exageration on the drivers part but this video exactly illustrates the poor suspension on the front and the Spyders tendancy to "wallow" thru the curves. Many riders other than myself have commented on this problem. I was happy to see this as it's the best possible description of handling problems I've gone thru.

Dwight

johnnyg
11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
:agree:
I don't think the nanny was disconnected. You can see it kick in, in some shots, with visible slowing. It appears to just be a combination of horrid riding technique (for a Spyder), plus an idiot passenger that insists on looking around the rider and leaning the wrong way. The overcontrol by the rider is obvious. If he had let the nanny do its job, he would have been better off, but you can see him correcting hard...after the nanny has already settled things down. I guess the race track is no place for your first test ride, no matter what your credentials.

Firefly
11-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Idiot rider either way----- but certainly made the Spyder look like a crappy ride--- which we all know is NOT the case.

VaughnCat
11-06-2010, 12:03 PM
That's too bad. That would be really poor sportsmanship if the driver was intentionally trying to dis the Spyder and make it look bad . . . . :lecturef_smilie:

I think we should send a delegation of Spyderlovers and demand equal time and show'em how it IS done! :ohyea: I'm sure we could get a couple dozen volunteers :2thumbs:

Cat :doorag:

Some Guy
11-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Idiot rider either way----- but certainly made the Spyder look like a crappy ride--- which we all know is NOT the case.

:agree: :wrong: :gaah:

Bozzzz
11-06-2010, 12:25 PM
What is "shacks up"?

bcspyder
11-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm sure there was some exageration on the drivers part but this video exactly illustrates the poor suspension on the front and the Spyders tendancy to "wallow" thru the curves. Many riders other than myself have commented on this problem. I was happy to see this as it's the best possible description of handling problems I've gone thru.

Dwight

Sorry, but I don't think the video shows poor suspension performance as much as just HORRIBLE riding.

Baytown
11-06-2010, 04:42 PM
G'day fellas.
The rider WAS mucking around on the Spyder.
It was Wayne Gardner, World 500cc champion (6 times!). :bowdown:He is one of the worlds most accomplished bike riders and can out ride any of us on either a Spyder, a standard, race bike or car for that matter.
His record: http://waynegardner.com/thecareer/motorcycle-champion/statistics.cfm
19791st Castrol 6-Hour --750cc class19801st Castrol 6-Hour --Outright19811st Swann International Series--Australia19821st Castrol 6-Hour --Outright19831st British Streetbike Championship
1st British TT Formula One Championship
1st ITV World of Sport Championship (UK) 19847th World 500cc Championship
1st British TT Formula One championship
1st Swann International Series--Australia 19854th World 500cc Championship
1st Suzuka 8-Hour--Japan
1st ITV World of Sport Championship (UK)
1st Swann International Series--Australia
1st British 500cc Championship
1st MCN Masters Championship (UK)19862nd World 500cc Championship (wins in Spain, Holland and Britain)
1st Suzuka 8-Hour - Japan 19871st World 500cc Championship (wins in Spain, Italy, Austria, Yugoslavia, Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Brazil)1988 2nd World 500cc Championship (wins in Holland,Belgium, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia)198910th World 500cc Championship (won in Australia)19905th World 500cc Championship (wins in Spain and Australia)19915th World Motorcycle Championship
1st Suzuka 8-Hour--Japan 1992 6th World 500cc Championship (GP win in Britain)
1st Suzuka 8-Hour--Japan
19791st Castrol 6-Hour --750cc class19801st Castrol 6-Hour --Outright19811st Swann International Series--Australia19821st Castrol 6-Hour --Outright19831st British Streetbike Championship
1st British TT Formula One Championship
1st ITV World of Sport Championship (UK) 19847th World 500cc Championship
1st British TT Formula One championship
1st Swann International Series--Australia 19854th World 500cc Championship
1st Suzuka 8-Hour--Japan
1st ITV World of Sport Championship (UK)
1st Swann International Series--Australia
1st British 500cc Championship
1st MCN Masters Championship (UK)19862nd World 500cc Championship (wins in Spain, Holland and Britain)
1st Suzuka 8-Hour - Japan 19871st World 500cc Championship (wins in Spain, Italy, Austria, Yugoslavia, Sweden, Czechoslovakia and Brazil)1988 2nd World 500cc Championship (wins in Holland,Belgium, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia)198910th World 500cc Championship (won in Australia)19905th World 500cc Championship (wins in Spain and Australia)19915th World Motorcycle Championship
1st Suzuka 8-Hour--Japan 1992 6th World 500cc Championship (GP win in Britain)
1st Suzuka 8-Hour--Japan

He was having fun on the machine with his other mate Mick Doohan. While not pretty to look at, just a couple of Aussie blokes playing on an Aussie race track during the Aussie Moto GP last month. Beats a sedate cruise around a world class race track, and remember it was a controlled environment wearing high quality protective gear, extremly experienced riders with no risk of hitting a tree or a car. Just hooning as we call it.
Lighten up and relive your youth a bit!:lecturef_smilie:

Best wishes from Down Under.

Ken

PS: For those of you who don't know, here is Mick Doohan's race experience as well:

BORN Brisbane, Australia 04/06/1965 FIRST ROAD RACE DEBUT 1984 Surfers Paradise Raceway, Australia LIVES Gold Coast, Australia500cc GRAND PRIX WINS 54 (1st win - 1990 Hungaroring, Hungary)500cc PODIUM FINISHES 95 (1st podium - 3rd, 1989 Hockenheim, Germany)500cc GRAND PRIX DEBUT 1989 Suzuka, Japan500cc POLE POSITIONS 58 (1st pole position - 1990, Jerez, Spain)500cc GRAND PRIX STARTS 137 (1989-99)500cc WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ( 5 ) 1994-95-96-97-98

AWARDS/HONOURS

Order of Australia 1996 Australian Male Athlete of the Year 1995-96-97 Australian Sports Personality of the Year 1998 Australian Sports Hall of Fame honour 1994-95-96 Nominated World Sports Awards of Century 19994 WORLD RECORDS (all 1997)Most 500cc grand prix wins in season - 12 Most 500cc grand prix pole positions in season - 12 Most 500cc successive pole positions - 12 Most 500cc grand prix points in a season - 340
http://mickdoohan.com/
500cc GRAND PRIX WINS 54 (1st win - 1990 Hungaroring, Hungary)MARITAL STATUS Married with 2 children 500cc PODIUM FINISHES 95 (1st podium - 3rd, 1989 Hockenheim, Germany)500cc GRAND PRIX DEBUT 1989 Suzuka, Japan500cc POLE POSITIONS 58 (1st pole position - 1990, Jerez, Spain)500cc GRAND PRIX STARTS 137 (1989-99)500cc WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS ( 5 ) 1994-95-96-97-98

docdoru
11-06-2010, 05:52 PM
G'day fellas.
He is one of the worlds most accomplished bike riders and can out ride any of us on either a Spyder, a standard, race bike or car for that matter.
Very impressive! Is he willing to street race his Spyder against some SpyderLovers? :popcorn::coffee:

SpyderWolf
11-06-2010, 06:15 PM
When I was at bike week in Daytona this past March, we (spyder riders) had an opportunity to ride the race track in Daytona. It was the route that the bikes would ride in the Daytona 200. Admittedly we were restricted from really getting on it, but some of us cheated.

I know one fella, (can't remember who it was, but I think he was from South Carolina) literally TRIED to climb the track walls until he was hailed down by the "track cops". He said his nanny kicked in then.

For me I tried taking some of the turns in the infield portion and chycane Sp?, as fast as I could. I was new to the spyder and was still trying to learn the limitations of my bike. My nanny never kicked in. My wheels never left the ground either. I agree with Lamont. That dude riding was show boating or in some way was trying to make that spyder look inept. The only thing that looked inept was the rider.

As a side note, I did see quite a few people from the Far East looking at our spyders and were quite inquisitive both at Bike Week and Biketoberfest.

Chris PE# 0004

I would be the guilty party in your story about ryding the track in Daytona. Even with what I was doing I did not have a wheel come off the ground there though.

I do know how to get the wheels off the ground, and that looks exactly what this rider was trying to do. As Baytown stated, they were obviously just screwing around and you could really tell by the way he was working the bars.

I also agree that it did make the Spyder look like a horrible ride for anyone watching that doesn't know anything about how they really handle.

Raptor
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I would be the guilty party in your story about ryding the track in Daytona. Even with what I was doing I did not have a wheel come off the ground there though.

I do know how to get the wheels off the ground, and that looks exactly what this rider was trying to do. As Baytown stated, they were obviously just screwing around and you could really tell by the way he was working the bars.

I also agree that it did make the Spyder look like a horrible ride for anyone watching that doesn't know anything about how they really handle.

:agree: Though all in good fun, I would just a bit irritated if I were BRP as Lamont has said. It was obvious to me as well that the rider was just horsing around.

I would love to see a couple of serious laps between this guy and either Doc, Seth, Alton or even all of them. That would change perception really fast! Maybe even prepare the Spyders just a bit with modest mods so they would be even. And make them RSs for goodness sake! :D

effgjamis
11-06-2010, 07:33 PM
No disclaimer prior to the video... only after the ride..
Bah HUM Bug in disbelief.

Baytown
11-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Very impressive! Is he willing to street race his Spyder against some SpyderLovers? :popcorn::coffee:

G'day Doc.
Wouldn't that be something? Although I reckon it'ld end in tears though for some riders trying to keep up!

Best wishes mate.

Ken

Raptor
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
G'day Doc.
Wouldn't that be something? Although I reckon it'ld end in tears though for some riders trying to keep up!

Best wishes mate.

Ken

Possibly - But the guys I mentioned know their Spyders and know how to ride them! Even if this Pro really did blow their doors, at least it would show a fair assessment of what the Spyder is capable of. That video footage makes the Spyder look like a joke, and that's just not the case. Even I have done some amazingly sick things with 14, and I am not even close to having the skill of Doc, Seth, Alton and probably many others!

WackyDan
11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
G'day Doc.

Best wishes mate.

Ken

I won't doubt his abilities as I try to watch the superbike and moto gp races when I can.

That said, I've ridden the dragon a few times with some pretty accomplished spyder riders and I'm not too shabby myself. Honestly, I've seen Seth's death spyder keep up with Doc's turbo's spyder in the twisties. The nanny quite frankly is the great equalizer. I'm sure he could ride a spyder well, but a spyder ridden to it's limits makes several spyders racing very equal. Two wheelers ridden to their limits are a whole different story... and they don't have a nanny.

Raptor
11-06-2010, 10:41 PM
I won't doubt his abilities as I try to watch the superbike and moto gp races when I can.

That said, I've ridden the dragon a few times with some pretty accomplished spyder riders and I'm not too shabby myself. Honestly, I've seen Seth's death spyder keep up with Doc's turbo's spyder in the twisties. The nanny quite frankly is the great equalizer. I'm sure he could ride a spyder well, but a spyder ridden to it's limits makes several spyders racing very equal. Two wheelers ridden to their limits are a whole different story... and they don't have a nanny.

Yeah, what he said! :D

chris56
11-07-2010, 01:43 AM
if I would do that - my wife would never again ryde with me ..
but to bring the RT to rise her frontwheels like here - is not so easy (so I think he wanted to make a show like that ) ..the only way to do that - is ryding very slow - with "normal" speed its imposssible ...
(tried it once)

SethO
11-07-2010, 04:13 AM
best riders on the planet are motogp racers, mik is on the faster movie, bestest racing video EVER.

The spyder is being screwed with as eveyone can see, I am sure it is more frustration of the nanny not letting him take the like needed.

But even bad press if you can call this bad press is good exposure for us freaks, I mean I will give a ton to race on a motogp track, let alone against people that good.

and I agree with wacky dan that spyder races would be close because of the nanny and the different lines you have to take, limited top speeds would make the course have to be techincal.

johnnyg
11-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Look at it this way , you try an jerk a two wheeler like he doe's the spyder an your down, No second chance to try an do it again. At least with the spyder you can get a good work out an knot get hert. GO:spyder2::clap::thumbup:

MouthPiece
11-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Show boating, funning around, letting off a little bit to have fun. Call it what you want and I agree with all that was said. My question is why would they show a "two wheeler" going through the course so smoooooooooooothly, and although I'm not an expert on far east languages, the apparent ooooohs and aaaahs by the commentator, as opposed to the reaction to the spyder scene? Huuuuuuuuuuuh?

PS: I apologize to Spyderwolf. I knew it was you, but wasn't sure of your name. We met (and I think your wife was there too) under the bleachers before we went out on the track.

Chris PE# 0004

Lamonster
11-07-2010, 08:06 AM
I have no doubt that the Honda Fury and the Can Am RT was given to them to promote the product. The Fury was promoted as a cool cruiser like it should have been but the RT was promoted as an unstable joke of a ride. What else are you going to walk away thinking about those products after seeing that?

Say what you will but have your fun at someone else expense.nojoke

COOLMACHINE
11-07-2010, 10:49 AM
That's too bad. That would be really poor sportsmanship if the driver was intentionally trying to dis the Spyder and make it look bad . . . . :lecturef_smilie:

I think we should send a delegation of Spyderlovers and demand equal time and show'em how it IS done! :ohyea: I'm sure we could get a couple dozen volunteers :2thumbs:

Cat :doorag:
You Got That Right!!! Makes the spyder look like a terrible handling machine. I never saw the riders leaning into the turns. Oh well, at least we know what this machine is capable of.... and it's certainly not that crappy video we just watched. Terrible. Should be a law against it. Wonder what the announcer was saying about it?

SpyderWolf
11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
PS: I apologize to Spyderwolf. I knew it was you, but wasn't sure of your name. We met (and I think your wife was there too) under the bleachers before we went out on the track.

Chris PE# 0004

No problem at all Chris, in fact that is an event where it might be best to let my name be forgotten. :roflblack: Yes, my wife was with me and I was scolded by her for my actions as well. :opps:

MouthPiece
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Heeeeeeeeey!!!! I was jealous becaused I didn't have the Kahunas to do the same. Additionally, I sure did love your spyder.

Chris PE # 0004

SpyderWolf
11-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Heeeeeeeeey!!!! I was jealous becaused I didn't have the Kahunas to do the same. Additionally, I sure did love your spyder.

Chris PE # 0004

:roflblack: Thanks! I did have a good time, and still have the picture Randy (RShrimp) sent me where I had the Spyder shut down on the grass apron attempting to clear some of the codes. It shows just how dejected I was at that point. :roflblack:

BajaRon
11-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I know that many in the 2 wheeled industry have a great disdain for the Spyder. I have no idea about these 2 guys and I am well aware of their racing pedigree. But that does not mean they have a good opinion of the Spyder.

For a race track, why run the RT? They would have been better off with an SM5 or SE5.

Bottom line, they either set out to make the Spyder look bad or they unintentionally made it look bad. The predominant idea though is they did succeed in making the Spyder look very bad and that is a shame.

For many people this exhibition is the only thing they know about the Spyder.

Would you run out and buy one after seeing that?

bruiser
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
:agree: definitly in poor taste. Wonder what would happen if someone did that sort of thing on his race bike???

boborgera
11-07-2010, 05:36 PM
I know that many in the 2 wheeled industry have a great disdain for the Spyder. I have no idea about these 2 guys and I am well aware of their racing pedigree. But that does not mean they have a good opinion of the Spyder.

For a race track, why run the RT? They would have been better off with an SM5 or SE5.

Bottom line, they either set out to make the Spyder look bad or they unintentionally made it look bad. The predominant idea though is they did succeed in making the Spyder look very bad and that is a shame.

For many people this exhibition is the only thing they know about the Spyder.

:dontknow:
Could it be that they were just horsing around??
Sometimes A Cigar is just a Cigar :ohyea:

Raptor
11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
:agree: :thumbup: Why would everyone assume that these particular riders were in any way obligated to make the Spyder 'look good'?:dontknow:

An underpowered, top heavy, 2-up Spyder on a racetrack is going to handle like a delivery truck compared to a two wheeler.......In the clip, it seemed like it was pushing like mad going into the first couple corners, looked like the rider gave up after that and started horsing around......

I get where you are going but really; that has to be the crappiest example of how to ride a Spyder I have ever seen, even in those first turns. The guy didn't seem to have a clue. Obligation to make it look god or not, be a Pro about it. If you are just going to be a jerk and diss a product by horsing around on it like that then why have it there at all?

spyderme
11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
:agree: :thumbup: Why would everyone assume that these particular riders were in any way obligated to make the Spyder 'look good'?:dontknow:

An underpowered, top heavy, 2-up Spyder on a racetrack is going to handle like a delivery truck compared to a two wheeler.......In the clip, it seemed like it was pushing like mad going into the first couple corners, looked like the rider gave up after that and started horsing around......

Exactly.
These guys raced and won world championships on the must notorious, evil handling race bike of all time, the Honda NSR500. You had 200hp + on tap with a very narrow and sudden power band. The passengers won a competion and I guess would expect to be given a adrenalin rush for their efforts. If BRP's intention was to promote the Spyder, I certainly wouldn't give Wayne a RT with standard suspension on a racetrack. Let's face it while you can blow away cruisers and some tourers, I would never take on a good rider on say a R1 or Fireblade. And if you are beating sports bikes with good riders on your Spyder, I would like to see it.

Bob Denman
11-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Maybe we should demand some equal time out there... with a Tri-Glide and some conversions with us to show a fair comparison...

NancysToy
11-08-2010, 08:20 AM
It seems to me that good manners would dictate that if you were given a promotional product, to exhibit in a public setting, that you would not do anything for any reason to make that product look bad. No matter what the credentials, no matter what the circumstances, this is an example of bad behavior, IMO.

Baytown
11-09-2010, 03:07 AM

If I was keen on the idea of one, yep, as I would just dismiss it as a fella mucking around and do my own research.
Jeez some of you blokes (and ladies) are thin skinned.

He and the pillion were just mucking around :chill:

Ken

docdoru
11-09-2010, 05:36 AM
If I was keen on the idea of one, yep, as I would just dismiss it as a fella mucking around and do my own research.
Jeez some of you blokes (and ladies) are thin skinned.

He and the pillion were just mucking around :chill:

Ken
Maybe we can see/ryde with Wayne Gardner @ Spyderfest 2011? ;):popcorn: