PDA

View Full Version : Strobe Lights anybody ?

Insy
11-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Hello all. I am looking to install a set of strobe lights (white) on the RS and wondered whether anyone out there has already done an installation. The local guys who fit strobes to motorcycles obviously have no idea of the Spyders circuitry so any help I can give them, compliments of the forum, would be of immense value.

Firefly
11-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello all. I am looking to install a set of strobe lights (white) on the RS and wondered whether anyone out there has already done an installation. The local guys who fit strobes to motorcycles obviously have no idea of the Spyders circuitry so any help I can give them, compliments of the forum, would be of immense value.

Strobes? Do you mean modulating headlights?

Someone out here found a kit and did it.....

I personally can't stand the things.

DragonLorD
11-05-2010, 11:04 AM
what is the strobe lights??? :dontknow:

Rider Steve
11-05-2010, 12:10 PM
He may be talking about these.

http://www.strobesnmore.com/led-lights_body-mount.html

SpyderWolf
11-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I have no idea what the laws for flashing headlights might be in South Africa. I have the white headlight rings from www.TricLED.com (http://www.TricLED.com) installed on my Spyder, and they have a flash option. You can set them to flash in 2 pulses up to 6 I believe, and they are very bright. You can check out my mods thread link in my signature, as I have picutres and a video posted in that thread that will give you a good idea about how well these light rings work.

Hope that helps.

Raptor
11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
I have no idea what the laws for flashing headlights might be in South Africa. I have the white headlight rings from www.TricLED.com (http://www.TricLED.com) installed on my Spyder, and they have a flash option. You can set them to flash in 2 pulses up to 6 I believe, and they are very bright. You can check out my mods thread link in my signature, as I have picutres and a video posted in that thread that will give you a good idea about how well these light rings work.

Hope that helps.

Wolfen! If I were this guy I wouldn't listen to a word you say with regard to light modding as you have no concept of lighting up a Spyder... :shocked: ... :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: Hell, dude, you could write a book on the subject! How is your charging system holding up? Seems like it's doin just fine, even with all the goodies on it. Have you dine any load tests just to see how much srtess is being put on the system?

SpyderWolf
11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Wolfen! If I were this guy I wouldn't listen to a word you say with regard to light modding as you have no concept of lighting up a Spyder... :shocked: ... :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: Hell, dude, you could write a book on the subject! How is your charging system holding up? Seems like it's doin just fine, even with all the goodies on it. Have you dine any load tests just to see how much srtess is being put on the system?

I haven't done any load testing as of yet. I did run it too low to crank a couple of times by leaving the key turned on with all of the lights for too long. I am currently looking into a different battery, one with a lot more storage capacity than the stock battery has in it. I still have some more lighting ideas left to do, so the higher quality battery is going to become a necessity very soon. :D

docdoru
11-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I have one installed:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00669.jpg?t=1289089374

Raptor
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I have one installed:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/DSC00669.jpg?t=1289089374

Why am I NOT surprised? :roflblack: YOU DA MAN DOC!! :ohyea:

Motza
11-06-2010, 09:00 PM

I have a stobe light stuck on the underside of my seat, placed just above the fendor. It has several settings for different light patterns. I used industrial velcro from Radio Shack to attach it. No wires, no mess, At night it can be seen from very far distances.
It's unreal, everyone who has seen it, thought it was a brilliant idea.
These power flares kick butt!!!
Check this puppy out!

www.powerflare.com (http://www.powerflare.com)

Tell me what you think...I spoke to the owner last year about color selection, there are three outer shell colors, and about six LEDs colors to choose. (Wish they made a black outer shell).

Motza

Motza
11-07-2010, 02:04 PM
If you relocate the brake fluid container you would have room for another battery on that side of the bike.

:ohyea: I just added these to my wish list. That amber/red would really light things up for a warning. You know if enough people were interested in these a group buy would make it cheaper. I can definitely see myself carrying two of these on my :spyder2: :D
Sounds like a plan maybe they can produce one in a black outer shell.
Add one to the top of your helmet too. :ohyea:

Motza
11-07-2010, 02:06 PM
How many riders are interested in this product?

Motza
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
They do, along with 7 other colors...I'm diggin the orange of course. :Dhttp://pfdistributioncenter.com/images/allshellsvertical.png

Same company? :clap:

Fire Joe
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
How many riders are interested in this product?

I am definitely interested in an amber one with a yellow outer shell but looking at their ordering page it is out of stock right now. Just my luck :roflblack:

Arthur---Mexico
11-08-2010, 01:33 AM
Spyder,

You have to understand that a battery is like a bank account. You can't take out more than you put in. I forgot what the output is of the Spyder's alternator is but if you count the watts or amps of draw you will find that a bigger is battery is not the solution. That is you are trying to take out more than you are putting in. LED lights are low draw and the Spyder's electrical system can handle that small extra load.

On my Harley sidecar I designed and installed an electric reverse and an automatic air compressor for a special 4 flute boat whistle. I also installed a 45 amp alternator with its corresponding regulator and a small automobile battery in one of the side cases to handle the extra electrical loads that are large sometimes but for a short period. You have to see the battery as a bank account. You can only use, take out, what you put in. I sugggest that you install leads to/for an automatic trickle charger to keep your battery alway charged up. They cost about $22 in Wal Mart. I have one for each of my motorcycles and my two motorcycles are ALWAYS plugged in when not in use which is about 99% of the time. I doubt you will find a larger capacity battery that will fit into the very limited space designed for the Spyder battery. Arthur---Mexico City

You wrote:
I am currently looking into a different battery, one with a lot more storage capacity than the stock battery has in it. I still have some more lighting ideas left to do, so the higher quality battery is going to become a necessity very soon.

Fire Joe
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I have a stobe light stuck on the underside of my seat, placed just above the fendor. It has several settings for different light patterns. I used industrial velcro from Radio Shack to attach it. No wires, no mess, At night it can be seen from very far distances.
It's unreal, everyone who has seen it, thought it was a brilliant idea.
These power flares kick butt!!!
Check this puppy out!

www.powerflare.com (http://www.powerflare.com)

Tell me what you think...I spoke to the owner last year about color selection, there are three outer shell colors, and about six LEDs colors to choose. (Wish they made a black outer shell).

Motza

Thanks for the link. I checked out the site and they were out of the amber ones. Took a chance on calling and low and behold they had one amber power flare to sell. Ordered that with the yellow shell to match my Spyder. Can't wait to get it and try it out :2thumbs:

Raptor
11-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I am definitely interested in an amber one with a yellow outer shell but looking at their ordering page it is out of stock right now. Just my luck :roflblack:

I would be interested in the black outer shell with Amber/Red. But alas, OUT OF STOCK. Of course...

Fire Joe
11-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I would be interested in the black outer shell with Amber/Red. But alas, OUT OF STOCK. Of course...

Might want to try giving them a call anyway. It's what I did and how I got my amber one. Online said it was out of stock but when I called I was told they had some to sell.