PDA

View Full Version : Nikasil lined cylinders

johnboyjohn.pretious
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi guys and gals

I seem to have read somewhere that the Spyder cylinders have a Nikasil coating. Have I dreamed this as I cant find anything on a search.
Does anyone know the answer, A few beers could be coming my way if I am right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:chat:

lamarguy
11-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Posted about it here (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=251154&postcount=38). Search is a wonderful thing! :D

With the Nikasil-plated cylinders on the Spyder, there is no cylinder glazing and no wear of the cylinder. Rings seat almost immediately.

johnboyjohn.pretious
11-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I searched and read that reference from Scotty, I am trying to find a reference somewhere where it written on a spec.sheet or somthing.
Anyone want to chime in ????

Scotty, where did you read it please
jb

NancysToy
11-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I searched and read that reference from Scotty, I am trying to find a reference somewhere where it written on a spec.sheet or somthing.
Anyone want to chime in ????

Scotty, where did you read it please
jb
Frankly, I don't remember, it might have been here, or it might have been in conversations with a technician. Anyway, the shop manual requires the piston and cylinder to be replaced as a set, which normally indicates plated cylinders.

- Tim -
11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not finding it right now, but I read about it directly from BRP in the RSS blog recently.

NancysToy
11-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not finding it right now, but I read about it directly from BRP in the RSS blog recently.
That rings a bell, now that you mention it.

boborgera
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Some of the Aprilia engines are Nikasil plated, Also the last Buell engine
is also. So it wouldn't surprise me if the Spyders cylinders are plated also.
I know my Sons Bussa's cylinders are.

- Tim -
11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
That rings a bell, now that you mention it.

Yeah, I don't know why it's so tough to find...

I believe it was a post describing the 2011 line-up. The post was divided into categories and the Nicasil details were in the Engine: section. This is if memory serves...

Just Doo Me
11-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Rotax has been using nicasil lined cylinders for there snowmobiles since at least 2003.I have replaced 3sets of pistons and one cylinder on my 04 MXZ Skidoo.The cylinders can be honed very lightly with I believe a diamond hone as long as the shop knows what there doing,I have had this done as well.So it would not surprise me if the Spyder is using a nicasil cylinder.

Bob Denman
11-03-2010, 06:59 AM
so... a big-bore kit would pretty much require a new bank of cylinders to match the slugs?? :hun:

widowmaker2011
11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
The Rotax V990 uses Nikasil Plated cylinders in ALL applications. Here is a link to the Aprilia RSVR (They use our motor) shop manual where it specifically talks about the Nikasil Cylinders. Our version of the V990 differs minimally from this motor (pistons, gear ratios(no 6th gear , reverse resides in that slot), cams and valves) Everything else is the same. No V990 motors were ever produced without Nikasil Cylinders. The Rotax 1125 version for Buell as noted is the same way.

www.whootis.com/manuals/RSVR/Engine%20V990%20USA.pdf

:doorag:

Rider Steve
11-03-2010, 10:54 AM
(no 6th gear , reverse resides in that slot)

Should kill any threads on "when we gonna get a sixth gear?".

Roadkill
11-03-2010, 09:37 PM
+The longevity expected from the nikasil-lined cylinders was a plus when I was considering the Spyder, as I expect high mileage from my bikes. (Victorys also have nikasil-lined cylinders.)

Ride on.
Roadkill