PDA

View Full Version : Depreciation

jimmar
10-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Does anyone else in Canada feel like we have been let down by BRP, I paid C$21600 for my 2009 SE5 and now I have been told by the dealer that it is worth only C$ 12500, Its 18 months old, I am told the reason for this is the new RT models and the dealerships dropping the prices of the old models to clear the way for the new RT’s. Also our cousins south of the border seem to be able to pay considerably less for a machine that is built in Canada. I would like to upgrade and I fully expected to experience some depreciation but this is wrong.

Dudley
10-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Does anyone else in Canada feel like we have been let down by BRP, I paid C$21600 for my 2009 SE5 and now I have been told by the dealer that it is worth only C$ 12500, Its 18 months old, I am told the reason for this is the new RT models and the dealerships dropping the prices of the old models to clear the way for the new RT’s. Also our cousins south of the border seem to be able to pay considerably less for a machine that is built in Canada. I would like to upgrade and I fully expected to experience some depreciation but this is wrong.

Depreciation is a given on anything we buy, whether in US or Canada. Value will be determined by the needs of the market. Something we all have to live with.

Arthur---Mexico
10-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Jimmar,
Don't despare. Here's how it works. When you drive a new vehicle out of the deal's business it just lost 30% of its value. After you dirve it for 18 months that depreciated price goes down another 20%. If you do some math it comes out to C$ 12,096.00. Be it a Harley or Cadillac or Spyder, that's the way it goes. It's only worth what some one will pay for it.

You wrote:
Does anyone else in Canada feel like we have been let down by BRP, I paid C$21600 for my 2009 SE5 and now I have been told by the dealer that it is worth only C$ 12500. It's 18 months old.

WackyDan
11-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Dealers tend to try and screw you on trade in values... I'd keep a close look on eBay and look at what past auctions on Spyders have closed for. Sooner or later you will find one similar to your own and decide if you've really lost that much value or not.

SpyderDog65
11-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah I know just how u feel I paid 21k for my 08 SE5 and I've put an additional 11k into it in mods and I bet Id be lucky to get 15k for it. Some guy my father know offered me 16k for it earlier this year and I turned him down I love riding it too much to sell it :-)) and I've been one of the lucky ones almost 0 defects been in the shop twice since i've owned it.

fastfraser
11-01-2010, 04:52 AM
I think we get it both ways . We pay about 4-5 grand more than our American cousins and take it in the wallet when we trade up .

:2thumbs: still love it . Hurt me more. Hurt me more .Getting an 2011 Limited.

NancysToy
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Book trade-in value on a 2009 SE5 in the US is 60% of the cost new. That is pretty typical. Your number is only slightly lower than that. Typical dealer ploy. Bargaining has to start somewhere. Retail values are higher than these trade-in values. Unless you ride a Harley or a BMW, resale values will always be in this range. It is something those of us who buy toys have to get used to.

Sarge707
11-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Just checked KBB on 09SE5
Retail- $13,925
Trade- $10,200
I,m keeping mine forever!!!!!!!:ohyea:

BikerDoc
11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
While I sympathize with you our Canadian Friend, and I have taken some shots at BRP, this doesn't seem like their fault. The free market controls value and sometimes you make out well but most times not, especially with toys.. Best financial value in toys is to occasionally upgrade with mods and keep it until it drops....

SilverSurfer
11-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I enjoy the healthy attitude being displayed by most on this issue. Powersports vehicles ... motorcycles, ATVs, Jetskis .... SPYDERs take a huge hit right off the floor for the exact same reason that we all love them -- THEY'RE OURS! We drive them, mod them and make them unique. It's not like a car that doesn't change much from mile 0 to mile 10K; but even they too loose $3-5K right off the floor.

Nature of the beast.

-- Surfer

jimmar
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies, I think I was expecting a depreciation of around 4-5k but was a little shocked with a drop of 10k from the original price. I’m selling it to buy something a bit more travel friendly, I know I could dress mine up a little (all I have added is the sport rack and back rest) but I don’t like the look of the model I have with a big windshield. Apologies to the owners who have fitted the wind shield. So it will go for a decent price to a good home I am sure.

SpyderWolf
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Just checked KBB on 09SE5
Retail- $13,925
Trade- $10,200
I,m keeping mine forever!!!!!!!:ohyea:

:agree: I will be keeping mine as well. :doorag:

Marker
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I feel it all the time , I am tired of taking it in the wallet too. If you want to play you have to play

boborgera
11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
You think the Spyder Depreciates, Put a hundred bucks in a bank for
a year see how much that depreciates.
It seems the only thing that doesn't depreciate is my appetite to buy more toys.:spyder:

SpyderSteve
11-01-2010, 10:11 PM
:agree: I will be keeping mine as well. :doorag: So will i :thumbup:

ARtraveler
11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Depreciation is an unfortunate fact of life. Cars and motorcycles are two of the items that seem to depreciate the most. In my opinion, I consider motorcycles to be the worst of the two. If you add on any accessories--they are mostly worth nothing on a trade in. If you want to upgrade on a regular basis, you are going to find it will cost you dearly to do that. I have purchased a 2008, a 2009, and a 2010 Spyder. The 2008 when traded in was worth 10K less than what I had into it---($23K) lots and lots of accessories. That was my cost to upgrade to the 2010 RTS. I have decided to hang onto my RTS for at least 3 years before even looking at another Spyder.

dltang
11-02-2010, 05:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies, I think I was expecting a depreciation of around 4-5k but was a little shocked with a drop of 10k from the original price. I’m selling it to buy something a bit more travel friendly, I know I could dress mine up a little (all I have added is the sport rack and back rest) but I don’t like the look of the model I have with a big windshield. Apologies to the owners who have fitted the wind shield. So it will go for a decent price to a good home I am sure.

This might be a silly question, but why not get a different windshield if that is what you don't like about your spyder. Dress it up as you mention and enjoy. Just some food for thought.

M2Wild
11-02-2010, 10:26 AM
That sounds just about right for a bike that has been thru 2 riding seasons. I bought my SM5 the day after Thanksgiving for $10,500 when the dude I bought the bike from spend about $19,000 just 8 months ago in March of the same year. At the time the Spyder was so new that there aren't any blue book info on it so I had to guesstimate the value. When the used value finally came out 3 months later, I noticed I did slightly better than wholesale by about a thousand but definitely within the ball park. They do depreciate very steeply when you buy it new.

hawkiii
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
This might be a silly question, but why not get a different windshield if that is what you don't like about your spyder. Dress it up as you mention and enjoy. Just some food for thought.

:agree:

Recon
11-02-2010, 12:42 PM
While I sympathize with you our Canadian Friend, and I have taken some shots at BRP, this doesn't seem like their fault. The free market controls value and sometimes you make out well but most times not, especially with toys.. Best financial value in toys is to occasionally upgrade with mods and keep it until it drops....

:agree: I agree, you hit it on the head, Doc

Bob Denman
11-02-2010, 12:57 PM
This may sound trite, but it's not what you've got in them that matters... it's what you get out of them when riding that's important!:2thumbs::thumbup::spyder:

tweeder
11-03-2010, 01:15 AM
well what about the price difference paid between canada and usa?

SpyderWolf
11-03-2010, 05:20 AM

That is one I still have no idea about. They are made in your backyard, so I actually expected them to be cheaper there. I thought we would have to pay more for them due to importation and such. :dontknow:

horse171
11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Hi There
I upgraded to 2010 rts. Was offered 9000 for my 2008 ....sold it privately in 3 days for 14000. Then I kept going back till the dealer gave me a good deal. Good luck

NorthStar
11-03-2010, 02:29 PM

I wrote about this back earlier in 2010 as I was researching the purchase of my 2010 RTs. I even went as far as contacting BRP corporate relations to get their take on this pricing anomaly. The explanation given was that this was a market driven strategy based on volume discounting to BRP USA.

I guess it makes about as much sense as the comments of other board members at the time who inferred that the extra costs in Canada could be directly attributed to our social welfare system, in particular, universal health care. :yikes:

Seriously, the real reason for the price difference.......because they can!

SPYDERGUY1
11-03-2010, 10:44 PM
unfortunately, it is what it is. I paid what I paid for my 08 sm5, been in the shop a few times, had some other issues as well. Now all the bugs are worked out and it runs excellent. I have looked at and sat on the new versions and would not change mine for anything. ( side note, still setting up for a test drive tho ) but pretty sure that is also what it is , a test drive. Mine has cruise, stereo, w/s and etc, however could use extra storage space for camping without pulling a trailer. BUT LIKE I SAY it is what is is AND IT IS MINE.:yes: