PDA

View Full Version : Little Leah Update from the NICU

WackyDan
10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Just wanted to give you all an update as many of you have sent me PM's asking me for updates, pictures and videos. Original post was here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23374&highlight=leah

Leah is called "Outstanding" by her doctors and "amazing" by her nurses. She is extremely active for a micro-preemie and they tell us that the activity/movement is a good sign. She is changing every day it seems and we get to she her new "tricks". From sticking out her tongue and playing with her feeding tube, to burping on her own. Today she actually produced her first wet tear which is a mile stone for preemies. She is now showing discomfort and crying when she isn't in a position she likes and doesn't cry as much when they mess with her breathing tubes anymore. She opens her little eyes now but for the most part she just sleeps and that is what she needs to do. She is now weighing 1 pound 8.7 ounces.

She is also getting strong. Taking her temperature and changing her diaper when she is in a mood is difficult. She can really put a lot of pressure on with her arms, or simply lock them to fend off the temperature probe. She really gets her legs going when I'm changing her diaper and she only pees on daddy... Now what is with that?

She is 23 days old today and will be 31 weeks gestationally on Monday. One month old comes next Wednesday. So far she has beaten the worse odds and from here out we just have to take every day one at a time and hope that no long term chronic ailments develop. It is likely that there will be something to deal with, but we're not thinking about it just now. Her first eye appointment is this coming week to check for retinal scarring which is common in Preemies her size.

What we are essentially doing is watching what would normally be happening in the womb for the most part, so that aspect of it is amazing.

I want to thank you all again for the warm wishes, prayer, and thoughts. Between the Spyderlover's community, family and friends we have felt very much loved and fortunate.

The Spyder is parked in the garage and has the dejected/neglected look. I rode her once to the hospital when the wife was still a patient, but haven't touched her much since I got back from SITS and the wife was admitted within days of getting home.

Oh...In other news... I interviewed these past two weeks with IBM and have been told that an offer will be tendered next Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday... So I'm most likely back in the saddle again working... This year is coming back together slowly, but ever so nicely.

Here is a video just for you guys and some pictures. If you click my youtube profile name you will be able to see the rest or just go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDpaquette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KySumW_RKG8

Here are a couple of pictures I took at a few days to a week old for scale.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=12867

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=12866

NancysToy
10-29-2010, 10:14 PM
.....She really gets her legs going when I'm changing her diaper and she only pees on daddy... Now what is with that?
:roflblack: Be glad she's a girl! :roflblack:

Thanks ever so much for the update. I'm sure all the members will be as pleased and relieved as I am. Our prayers and best wishes will continue to flow your way. :thumbup:

GeminiJane
10-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the amazing update. I (and I'm sure many others) have thought man times of all you're going through and have sent prayers out for you. Glad to know things are going well and your family is doing well. Keep us posted on the progress.

SpyderAnn01
10-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm so happy to hear that she is doing so good. Congratulations on the job offer.

jimclarkf1
10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I have been going to a church life leaning class at our new church, (3 months now)and I will asked them to put her in there prayers, :2thumbs:KEEP THE FAITH, Dan and wife and Leah:clap:

LDFIREWORKS
10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
THAT IS GREAT NEWS KEEP THE FAITH:congrats: :2thumbs:

musicarcade
10-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Great to hear all the good news Dan! :clap:
Thanks for the update and all the photos/vid.
Keeping you in thoughts and prayers...
:pray:

SpyderGirl
10-30-2010, 01:04 AM
So glad to hear she is doing so well. I hope she can go home soon. :)

groundeffect
10-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Great news, glad she is doing well and good stuff on the job offer!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

docdoru
10-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Understand the rule of life: the law of action and reaction.
Congratulation for Leah and the IBM job :thumbup:

Spyderjuice
10-30-2010, 05:46 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the great update. I'm so glad she is doing well. All of you are in our prayers. It's all just amazing. It hasn't been that long that you and I were talking at SITS about Leah. God bless. :2thumbs:

Spyderjuice (Stan)

Raptor
10-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Understand the rule of life: the law of action and reaction.
Congratulation for Leah and the IBM job :thumbup:

Exactly Doc! Just as I say goodbye to somone we are saying hello to someone new! Such is life. I'm gload to hear she is doing well. Sounds like you are going to go throught some interesting changes here and have already! Here is too continued growth and success. All the best to all.

jwhatman
10-30-2010, 09:21 AM
What a beautiful girl. Glad she is doing so well! Just wait until she gets bigger, she'll be a little wildcat! She already has you wrapped around her little finger. You are in so much trouble. Prayers on the continued improvement.
Joyce

Lamonster
10-30-2010, 09:33 AM
What a little blessing. Thanks for the update Bro. :thumbup:

FANG
10-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the update Dan -- continue to keep you all in my prayers. She is definitely a "Little Angel" to be cherished. God Bless. :pray:

bikeguy
10-30-2010, 11:05 AM
What an amazing story. Thanks for the beautiful pictures. She will be in our prayers.

Cotton

bruiser
10-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Very good news on both counts. We will continue to pray for Leah, you, your wife, and the job. We know from experience, prayer works wonders.

bullant12
10-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Beautiful blessing you have! We will keep you in our prayers!!

SpyderWolf
10-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the outstanding update Dan. We are very glad to hear things are moving in the right direction with Leah's progress, and now the offer on the job front as well. I am keeping your family in my prayers that things continue to go great for you, and your amazing little girl gets to go home with you soon.

Bob Denman
10-30-2010, 04:58 PM
:agree: X2! We're so glad to hear that you're getting such good news on both fronts! :ohyea:

ataDude
10-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Now that is one amazing little baby girl! Congrats to Dan and wife and prayers continuing for all of you... especially little Leah!

Boriken
10-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Great to hear all the good news Dan! :clap:
Thanks for the update and all the photos/vid.
Keeping you in thoughts and prayers...
:pray:
I join every :spyder2: lover in wishing you and your family the best, and may God Bless that beautifull angel.:pray::pray::pray::pray:

WaltH
10-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Since little Leah is already a member of the Spyderlovers family, I foresee a Spyder in her future - in about sixteen years. I wonder what her Spyder will look like?

dltang
10-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Such a tiny little one that is such a giant blessing! May God continue to watch over her and your entire family.