PDA

View Full Version : Rough roads

sealfloorboards
10-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi :spyder2:lovers. Well I've been in Puerto Vallarta, Mex. for almost two weeks now. Time to report in. First, riding in PV was not at all what I had hoped for. Although I know the city very well, I was not prepared for the cobblestones and potholes in the city streets. It was a VERY wet summer here and there was a lot of damage to the streets and bridges. The paved streets and brick streets are ok, but the cobblestone streets in much of the city can be rough. I seldom get out of 2nd gear. I keep forgetting that if I split a pothole with my front tire, I'll hit it with my rear tire. Need to be an owl to see them at night. However, I am getting to know which streets are cool and which to avoid. Also, it's kind of like riding a horse trotting. I'm learning to relax, go slow and role with the street instead of fighting it. This morning when I rode thru town to meet with friends, I finally started to feel comfortable.

The good news is that I feel completely secure down here. There is so much misinformation and crap on the news that one would think the streets are flowing in blood and drugs (try any major US city). Not so! I have been coming to PV for many years and have always felt very safe and welcome here. I don't look for trouble, so it seldom finds me.

Well, that's it for now. I feel a siesta coming on.

Ride in comfort,

John
sealfloorboards.com

Remember, when you ride a motorcycle, you ARE the designated driver. Be cool, be smart, be alive."

WackyDan
10-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Glad to see you there safe and riding safe.

Mexico isn't small, and like parts of the U.S. there are places to avoid. The violence near the border is real... It seems that the Mexican gov't does a better job at securing the towns that have the highest concentration of tourist dollars and longer term residents that are better off.

sealfloorboards
10-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Glad to see you there safe and riding safe.

Mexico isn't small, and like parts of the U.S. there are places to avoid. The violence near the border is real... It seems that the Mexican gov't does a better job at securing the towns that have the highest concentration of tourist dollars and longer term residents that are better off.

Dan,

You are absolutely correct. Mexico is a big, diverse country. Just as anywhere else in the world, there are places to go and places to avoid. I cross into Mexico at Nogales, Az. I never feel threatened there and it's a straight, very fast road south. i am a 100 miles from the boarder in a couple of hrs. I only travel during the day and stick to the toll roads. I find that if I use good judgement and don't look for trouble, it won't look for me.

There is no question that the tourist areas are safer than the boarder States and places like Mexico City. Good judgement is the word of the day.

John
sealfloorboards.com

Rider Steve
10-29-2010, 05:52 PM
nojokenojokenojoke Just say NO to Mexico nojokenojokenojoke

COOLMACHINE
10-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Have fun John. :thumbup:

killerbee
11-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Puerto Villarta...beautiful! Take a dip in the ocean for us.