PDA

View Full Version : Any advice to someone in the market for a spyder (new owner)

suem
10-25-2010, 06:05 AM
I've had my motorcycle endorsement for a year or so, after a couple of dumps in the dirt in my yard I think I'm convinced I need more than two wheels. I could go to a trike kit for my sporty..ah not convinced that's what I want.

The spyders are very cool looking and I LOVE the reverse gear. I got to ride one one at the dealership last friday...wow, quite different from a two wheeler. I'd never been on anything like an ATV or a snowmobile before. One of the things that popped right out to me is the low speed handling...at least to me, it seems like you need a lot more upper body strength to muscle the front end when you first start off. I read someplace, maybe in here, that a sway bar will somewhat help that situation.

I see a lot of frightening maintenance problem stories in here...is there any one model or year of spyder that's more problem than other years or models? Of course I'd love a 2010 but my beer budget is most likely not going to support the sort of payments I'd have on a 2010 and I will need to go someplace I can finance..unless the good lord grants me a lottery I won't have cash to buy privately.

I'm looking for some good tips on what to look for, and look out for, if I get a used spyder. I found out the hard way with my old bike that the federal disclosure laws that cover cars do not cover motorcycles (read the law, it says "motor vehicles" so why in heck doesn't it...probably because no one's tested it in court yet!!!).

I'm hoping I'll be able to afford the extended warranty (and I know from here to avoid WCS ) but I've also got several motorhead friends that I trust could at least do motor and tranny fluid changes and possibly brakes, drive belts stuff like that. Are the special tools for the spyder tough to get...are there mechanics books for the spyder yet?

Any hints, tips for a newbie spyder hunting and stuff to watch out for IS VERY, VERY, much appreciated!!!!:2excited:

Bob Denman
10-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Welcome to our own little haven... :2thumbs: The Spyders all are equipped with power steering (!), so it doesn't take big shoulders and forearms to point them in a new direction... I think from my limited experience that any bike that's been kept up to date on service items and recalls should be more than safe; BRP certainly has the capacity to build a quality product! I've taken my RT back to the dealer for it's first service, but I do plan on attempting an oil change here at season's end... :shocked: (My Missus just hates when I attempt anything more technical than shoe-tying! :D) If you're looking at an RD model, perhaps one with the SM 5 transmission might be a bit simpler...m (The semi-auto SE 5 has more stuff to go wrong I suppose...)
More than half the fun is in the shopping anyway... enjoy the process!

Wheeler~
10-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Trikes are nice but for stability you just can't beat the Spyder.
As far as having to muscle it from a dead stop, the power steering should make starting off very easy. I'm not sure the sway bar will help make it easier to turn but it does help eliminate a lot of the leaning in corners.
My experience is and has been, no matter what vehicle you purchase, they all have issues unique to each ride.
Current 2010 RT prices have gone down considerably with the new 2011's available at dealerships soon. The dealership you buy from generally is the reason for a big price difference. The key is shop around!
If you're buying a used Spyder from an individual I'd suggest take it to a qualified BRP dealer and have them check it out so they can tell you what you're getting. Hopefully you know what the dealerships reputation is, so you can find one that can give you an accurate appraisal or an honest appraisal if you're thinking about buying one on their floor.
The warranty is a very good idea. Just be sure whoever does maintenance on your vehicle is an authorized BRP tech. They are touchy about who maintains the Spyder when you bring it into a dealership for warranty service.
When you buy your Spyder, the piece of mind that comes from the safety features will make you glad you did.

BikerDoc
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
I see those maintenance problems out there that you mention too, but then again i talk to lots of folks like me who ride heavy and have never had any of the problems discussed online .. my 2010 RTS gets over 1000 miles per month without any difficulty and as a member of the "mature -i.e. old phart generation) I have no problem steering it at speeds from 5mph to over 100mph.. Its sad but I think the horror stories get all the press and the good news happy stories just keep on quietly riding.

fastfraser
10-25-2010, 01:04 PM
:agree:Try and find a new 2009 and save a boat load ! Just make sure it has all the updates installed and you are good to go.

suem
10-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Welcome to our own little haven... :2thumbs: The Spyders all are equipped with power steering (!), so it doesn't take big shoulders and forearms to point them in a new direction... I think from my limited experience that any bike that's been kept up to date on service items and recalls should be more than safe; BRP certainly has the capacity to build a quality product! I've taken my RT back to the dealer for it's first service, but I do plan on attempting an oil change here at season's end... :shocked: (My Missus just hates when I attempt anything more technical than shoe-tying! :D) If you're looking at an RD model, perhaps one with the SM 5 transmission might be a bit simpler...m (The semi-auto SE 5 has more stuff to go wrong I suppose...)
More than half the fun is in the shopping anyway... enjoy the process!

Hmm well either I'm just not having a clue or the power steering wasn't working right on the one I test drove, it was very resistant when first starting, felt nothing like the power steering on my four wheels (car). I trust a company that makes seado they've been around forever. I know any new product will have some growing pains because no matter how good the r&d you simply cannot predict everything. I don't want any auto anything on the tranny, I want to keep my clutching skills for those times I need to get on two wheels for whatever reason and I don't care what anyone says, sometimes if you get into a true emergency engine braking can save your life (or does the spyder have some sort of idiot device to stop that?).

suem
10-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I see those maintenance problems out there that you mention too, but then again i talk to lots of folks like me who ride heavy and have never had any of the problems discussed online .. my 2010 RTS gets over 1000 miles per month without any difficulty and as a member of the "mature -i.e. old phart generation) I have no problem steering it at speeds from 5mph to over 100mph.. Its sad but I think the horror stories get all the press and the good news happy stories just keep on quietly riding.

I'm an old phart too, got my license at 46, dad had a bike, wish I still had it would have been a great starter bike (honda 175 enduro). The bad stuff always does get all the press...that's normal. I know there will always be some bad apples in the barrel...I just don't want to end up with one :yikes:

suem
10-26-2010, 12:18 AM
I'd say try and find a dealer that has a new 2009 left over. :thumbup: They can really deal on these. This is what I just bought and it saved me a boatload of money. I'm not at liberty to say how much I got it for because of the blood oath I swore too. :hun: :yikes: Seriously though, a new 09 will have all of the latest updates. They can be financed and your insurance will cost you less and will come with a full warranty. Yeah resale goes out the window but what the heck these aren't considered to be investments. You'll be able to get in cheap and you'll hopefully have a little left over each month to start saving for those all important mods. :ohyea: Find out about the dealers in your area. They are all NOT created equal. Decide on your dealer and then go for the :spyder2:. Good luck in your :spyder: hunt! :D

Yes I know about shopping around, the largest non-harley dealer around here is Barney's in St. Petersburg, which is where I test drove the one last friday. It's a 2009 with about 20k on it and they wanted around 12k with a couple of upgrades (windshield and seat I believe). That seems a bit high when a new one (the lower end model) is only about 16k.

Probably if I get my credit pre approved and walk in someplace with a number I'd do better but I'd like a good feel for what folks are buying theirs for from a dealership. I hope to have about 3k down and I need to keep my payments around 200.

Anyone know what the insurance companies are getting for insurance on a spyder? I have foremost on the harley and it's about 200 a year (I have my own good health insurance. I think the foremost policy is mostly theft etc, florida doesn't require insurance on a bike but I'd cry if something happened to it and I had to finish paying the loan) but it's also only got a 3500 loan on it (got a good deal on a 1997 sporty, I can sell it for that right now but I don't want to give up the 2 wheeler till I have the spyder).

suem
10-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Where are you all from? I'm in Florida, I know we are sometimes on the expensive side for some things. I know that Barneys down here is rip off land, supposedly do good work and the people are great but I'm not paying a premium for that if I can save thousands elsewhere and thus get into the spyder faster. If I go to Barneys I'd have the loan amount in hand and try to finagle a lot.

There is also westcoast sports in clearwater, nice people but not a huge selection although they do sell the spyders; only thing I don't like there is the salesman keep calling you (which I suppose isn't all bad). There are one or two places in New Port Richey (pasco county) that carry spyders and I think at least one in Tampa and another farther towards the florida east coast.

I know about buying last year's models, I did that with my truck, which is a big reason for the spyder, the truck at barely 16 mpg is killing me when I drive one hundred miles a weekend to new port richey and back. I don't want to dump the truck because I often tow trailers with it, can't pull a 12x6 with a spyder, LOL. I know the spyders only get around 30 mpg but that's twice as good as the truck and it will be a blast as well. I have yet to see a spyder on the road in pinellas county. There was a bike night in new port richey two weeks ago and there were three or four there, they must have been older models the controls, shifter etc. look quite different on the one I just test drove. The lack of a front brake lever gave me pause but the foot brake most likely controls all three wheels (and older bikes never had anything but a rear brake anyhow), but I got used to that pretty quick.

Is it an impossible dream to find a basic untitled 2009 without all the crap, manual tranny for around 9 grand (meaning after my 3k downpayment I'd only be financing about 6 grand which would be under my budget limit) or am I being unrealistic? I'd probably buy at least a one year extended warranty but if I insure with Geico they have something but I'm not sure if it's just cars they offer that on..have to find out.

I don't expect anyone to tell me exactly what they paid but I'm searching for a ball park and what state you paid that in. I know interest rates tend to fluctuate and sometimes there are "incentives" offered by the manufacturer.

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate all the advice.

bonehead
10-26-2010, 04:34 AM
Cost aint everything, pick a good dealer, one thats been around awhile, with a reputation of good service.

suem
10-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Cost aint everything, pick a good dealer, one thats been around awhile, with a reputation of good service.

yes that's true but when you get to have mcdonald's half the week to get it then cost becomes a big deal too. The lesser gas expenditure is going to help and you're right, a good dealership is important but sorry I don't think 12k for a bike that is worth more like 9 is worth that much for a good dealership...there are several around that don't have bad reps that I know about. Barney's is right up there with harley dealer prices for everything.

suem
10-26-2010, 05:19 AM
I think that's very high. I didn't pay a whole lot more for mine and it's new. This thread contains a much better deal. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22734

Thanks for that, private owned special edition phantom (means what? extra goodies? what's a phantom?) Very low miles. I hope he got his 12k price but that also makes it sound like a regular production unit with no goodies tacked on should be a whole lot less than that price. Dealers are hungry, I bet I could drag em down a bit just for the hungry factor. In theory we're going to a large parking lot early friday morning so I can do some more tooling around on it. I guess my problem is never having been on an ATV, I keep trying to lean it like a two wheeler, last friday they had me in a parking area with cars and I was afraid I was going to run into a car with it...very different from a bike if you want my opinion. I'll get there and I think it is what I need just going to have a learning curve. I was told there is a spyder riders class and I'd probably take that as well...supposed to be something like a hundred for the class.

boborgera
10-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Hmm well either I'm just not having a clue or the power steering wasn't working right on the one I test drove, it was very resistant when first starting, felt nothing like the power steering on my four wheels (car).

The Spyder has Electric power steering, Not hydraulic like cars ,
So depending on what surface your on it might be a little stiff at a stand still.
Once you get it moving it will steer very easy.

murphybrown
10-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Ditto on what Bikerdoc said...the negatives about this great ryde seem to get more attention. I took delivery on my 2010 RTSE5 Memorial Day weekend...I have over 6000 miles on her and NO, NONE, NADA issues...whoops I lied - my digital display failed early on..but the analog worked and so never allowed it to slow me down. Guess, as a member of the older phart group I have had vehicles that were constantly needing warranty work. In comparison Ms. Spyder is just a great machine.
Enjoy finding the perfect machine for you..I'm still ryding...even as the temps drop lower and lower...gotta love that heated gear!!!

suem
10-26-2010, 10:18 AM
The Spyder has Electric power steering, Not hydraulic like cars ,
So depending on what surface your on it might be a little stiff at a stand still.
Once you get it moving it will steer very easy.

Ok that makes sense about the power steering being electric but I guess I have to wonder why? Perhaps a fluid driven power steering would be a more complicated matter on a bike...I know cars have belts etc. and power steering pumps so maybe that's why. I was on asphalt, never having been on anything like it before it seemed quite hard to steer at low speeds. I'm supposed to be able to go to a larger parking lot (without a ton of cars parked down both sides of the small area they let me in before) maybe I'll get a better feel then...I hope so. I still think I'll like this, I saw someone say it took him about three months to really be comfortable and I want to take the spyder rider class too.

granpa in Cincy
10-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I've had my RT one week and have 500 miles on it.

Some observations from an out-of-shape old-phart.

I have a Goldwing gl1800 that I've ridden for 8 years.

Wind bounces me all over the place on the RT much more so that on the GW. On a crowned road on the GW I'm upright and on the RT I'm on an angle which makes it harder for me to steer. On a 90 degree right turn it is hard for me to reach the clutch lever so I better be in the correct gear before I begin the turn. Bumps are harsher on the RT than on the GW.

Use different muscles on the RT than on the GW. Therefore different aches and pains but they're going away.

Nevertheless, I love the RT. :spyder2:

boborgera
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Ok that makes sense about the power steering being electric but I guess I have to wonder why? Perhaps a fluid driven power steering would be a more complicated matter on a bike...I know cars have belts etc. and power steering pumps.

:thumbup:
Exactly, Plus even it would fit on a bike you will lose Major H/P.
Back in my drag racing days i would remove the power steering belt and the fan belt, just doing that would cut my ET's by a 1/10.

harddrive
10-26-2010, 12:22 PM
The :spyder2: is a different ride then a 2 wheeler for sure, but not hard to steer once it is rolling. If I pull mine out on the road (gravel and asfault), at a stop it takes a little effort to turn. I sold my Harley due to not being able to hold it up after a vehicle accident at the end of March. There are deals out there on Spyders. I bought a 08 silver GS from a buddy, but found some used at good prices at the dealers here in Texas.

For example, I gave 9500 plus tax for mine about 2 months ago and that is about what the 08 spyder wholesale (trade in value) was. Now it is just under 9 grand.

I found a used 09 GS, that looks just like the one I have, but a year newer and only 250 miles for 10500 plus TTL at a dealer. They had a 09 yellow one that was new that they would take a grand off, but it was still over 15 grand plus TTL. All of the above is the Manual version SM5.

As far as insurance, shop a round too. Mine is 320 a year for full coverage through formost. I went through a broker called Ball insurance (www.ballins.com (http://www.ballins.com)) to get that rate.

vt228
10-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Trikes are nice but they don't hold road on corners back wheel come off ground for stability you just can't beat the Spyder she well hold road like glue and wont beat you up rideing her .better on gas and fun to ride ( I rather have 4 wheels than 3 under me ) safer its like driveing a car and welcome

suem
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
The :spyder2: is a different ride then a 2 wheeler for sure, but not hard to steer once it is rolling. If I pull mine out on the road (gravel and asfault), at a stop it takes a little effort to turn. I sold my Harley due to not being able to hold it up after a vehicle accident at the end of March. There are deals out there on Spyders. I bought a 08 silver GS from a buddy, but found some used at good prices at the dealers here in Texas.

For example, I gave 9500 plus tax for mine about 2 months ago and that is about what the 08 spyder wholesale (trade in value) was. Now it is just under 9 grand.

I found a used 09 GS, that looks just like the one I have, but a year newer and only 250 miles for 10500 plus TTL at a dealer. They had a 09 yellow one that was new that they would take a grand off, but it was still over 15 grand plus TTL. All of the above is the Manual version SM5.

As far as insurance, shop a round too. Mine is 320 a year for full coverage through formost. I went through a broker called Ball insurance (www.ballins.com (http://www.ballins.com)) to get that rate.

All great info!!!! Thanks. Yes, harley uses foremost too for their bike insurance, Geico was insane even though I already have my truck through them...was going to be 400 a year when foremost came in under 200..don't know how Geico sells bike insurance at that rate.

After careful examination of the finance system probably going to be a year before this is really practical (at least that's true if I don't want to be eating peanut butter every meal), by then the 2012 will be out so that 2009 should be downright reasonable by then or even a 2010. That could change if the State of Florida ever gets around to giving the employees raises when we haven't had one in five years.

Yes, I'd heard that Texas often has some much more attractive deals than you can get in Florida, if I bought there I'd either need to be confident enough to drive it back myself or get someone to drive it back or have it transported, Texas is under two days assuming you stop for sleep, sss, gas etc.

suem
10-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I've had my RT one week and have 500 miles on it.

Some observations from an out-of-shape old-phart.

I have a Goldwing gl1800 that I've ridden for 8 years.

Wind bounces me all over the place on the RT much more so that on the GW. On a crowned road on the GW I'm upright and on the RT I'm on an angle which makes it harder for me to steer. On a 90 degree right turn it is hard for me to reach the clutch lever so I better be in the correct gear before I begin the turn. Bumps are harsher on the RT than on the GW.

Use different muscles on the RT than on the GW. Therefore different aches and pains but they're going away.

Nevertheless, I love the RT. :spyder2:
sounds like you need that aftermarket handle bar extension I've read about. I agree on the different muscles comment. Just the hour I tried it out I was really whooped afterwards but that had a lot to do with paying so much attention to everything out of fear I'd run into something or hurt it :roflblack:The dealership makes you sign a "you break it you bought it" release before you can test drive it.

I thought I'd be sitting more forward like on a rice burner but it really didn't feel that way to me, not as upright as the sporty but definetly not crouched forward like on a kawi ninja or something similar. (The salesman told me a story about a customer that got on a spyder demo and promptly ran into a telephone pole because he couldn't make it turn, or had paniced and couldn't turn it:dontknow:).

The handle bars didn't really "seem" to keep my left hand off the clutch, have to pay more attention to that next time. From the two wheeler, I tend to step down before turns anyway out of habit.

bone crusher
10-26-2010, 11:35 PM

:agree: Cost is nothing compared to how you'll be treated after the sale...

2manycars
10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
I am going for physical therapy, and I am convinced the RT contributed to the problems. It is not difficult to steer the RT however the twisting motion is different, and at least in my case, put some undue stress on the back and neck muscles.

On the other hand I have discovered by not leaning (much) into the turns, adding a backrest, and focusing on sitting upright rather than leaning that the RT does work.

I realize some wil say if you are having so many issues why do you keep it. The answer is I love the machine. I like the storage, the gadgets, the stability, and so forth.

Prior to this I rode a Honda Silverwing (600 CC) scooter. I liked it but with winter on the way I feel a bit safer with the added wheels and safety items (no I do not plan to ride in snow, ice etc) but you never know where some you might encounter some unforeseen slippery conditions.

Wheeler~
10-27-2010, 07:51 PM
All great info!!!! Thanks. Yes, harley uses foremost too for their bike insurance, Geico was insane even though I already have my truck through them...was going to be 400 a year when foremost came in under 200..don't know how Geico sells bike insurance at that rate.

After careful examination of the finance system probably going to be a year before this is really practical (at least that's true if I don't want to be eating peanut butter every meal), by then the 2012 will be out so that 2009 should be downright reasonable by then or even a 2010. That could change if the State of Florida ever gets around to giving the employees raises when we haven't had one in five years.

Yes, I'd heard that Texas often has some much more attractive deals than you can get in Florida, if I bought there I'd either need to be confident enough to drive it back myself or get someone to drive it back or have it transported, Texas is under two days assuming you stop for sleep, sss, gas etc.

I actually purchased my RTS premier editin Dec 2009 from Big #1 Powersports in Birmingham, AL for $23,340 and that included $400 for 4 after market suitcases for the RT. I would imagine if they still had any, given the price I paid in Dec. when the demand was huge, you could maybe pick one up there now for a real steal.

SPYDERGUY1
10-27-2010, 07:59 PM
If you decide to take the bite, love it enjoy it and ride it, everything has it's ups and downs, but from my perspective, even with some of the issues,( all fixed ) wished I lived somewhere that I could ride all year long and enjoy. Oh well, the time I do get to ride is awesome. Good luck. 2008 SM5 Yellow, by far the fastest. :2thumbs:

Khaki
03-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi, all. My brother's been riding a Spyder in Illinois and has gotten me thinking of buying one in the Phoenix, AZ area. I'm a "mature" woman. Any dealer/riding experiences there?

ronv
03-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Desert Dog, Shea Blvd. Fountain Hills.

I think they are one of the best. It's about a 400 mi round trip for me.

Give them a look, you won't be disappointed.

Ron

fastfraser
03-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Hi, all. My brother's been riding a Spyder in Illinois and has gotten me thinking of buying one in the Phoenix, AZ area. I'm a "mature" woman. Any dealer/riding experiences there?

:welcome: Hope you get a :spyder2: