PDA

View Full Version : Magog and Guiness Book

wyliec
10-24-2010, 08:19 PM
The 2011 Guiness Book is out. I scanned the table of contents and the book and found nothing.

Did Magog break the previous record? What might the record be listed under, if the record was broken and recorded in time for the 2011 edition of the GBWR?

docdoru
10-24-2010, 08:23 PM
:popcorn:

dave01
10-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey Doc. Hope there's no butter on that popcorn or Forrest will never let you hear the end of it. :yikes::yikes::yikes::gaah::gaah:

docdoru
10-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Hey Doc. Hope there's no butter on that popcorn or Forrest will never let you hear the end of it. :yikes::yikes::yikes::gaah::gaah:
:roflblack::thumbup:

wyliec
10-24-2010, 08:48 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

groundeffect
10-25-2010, 06:39 AM
:popcorn:

docdoru
11-26-2010, 09:05 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/gwr-logo.jpg?t=1290780226 :dontknow::popcorn:

effgjamis
11-26-2010, 05:45 PM
What's with the Record... We busted it..... and why are we not in the book? Hummmm maybe its in the French version?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: butter butter butter :coffee:

Marker
11-26-2010, 09:24 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popc orn::popcorn::popcorn:

Roger
11-26-2010, 10:23 PM
maybe look under a motorcycle section i don't know i am just guessing trying to be helpful!

BajaRon
11-27-2010, 01:36 AM
I wonder if we did break the record (officially).

There was a problem with registration (which was a component of the official record).

I didn't register and I talked to several others that did not register. I thought I'd registered when I pulled in, had my picture taken and was asked where I was from, etc.

Later, I found out that to be officially counted you had to register in one of the tents (I thought they were vendor tents).

Anyway, I've always wondered how many missed that critical step just as I did. If enought missed it then the offical record may not have been broken and could explain this.

docdoru
11-27-2010, 05:58 AM
I wonder if we did break the record (officially).

There was a problem with registration (which was a component of the official record).

I didn't register and I talked to several others that did not register. I thought I'd registered when I pulled in, had my picture taken and was asked where I was from, etc.

Later, I found out that to be officially counted you had to register in one of the tents (I thought they were vendor tents).

Anyway, I've always wondered how many missed that critical step just as I did. If enought missed it then the offical record may not have been broken and could explain this.

If this is the case, I want my money back :clap::
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/04hemiboy/203.jpg

effgjamis
11-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I feel the same way as Doc... but I want all of my $ back.

If the registration is messed up, then I feel those english speaking peeple are the ones left out as the people taking the registration were French speaking.. Go figure !!

wyliec
11-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I feel the same way as Doc... but I want all of my $ back.

If the registration is messed up, then I feel those english speaking peeple are the ones left out as the people taking the registration were French speaking.. Go figure !!

The sheet that was handed out when you first came in and drove thru the line to park stated that to be counted you had to registered before starting the parade. Oh well.

BajaRon
11-27-2010, 10:36 AM
The sheet that was handed out when you first came in and drove thru the line to park stated that to be counted you had to registered before starting the parade. Oh well.

I am completely guessing on this. But I was concerned at the time. When Lamont told me about registration it was too late. I asked about a dozen people around me and about 1/2 of them had no clue about regestering.

I know Guiness does not mess around. You either qualify their way or you don't qualify. There are no "Gimmies". And I don't blame them.

It may be that the sheet I was given at entry told me to go register. But if I remember correctly, I was given more than 1 piece of paper and the ones I saw were advertisements so I figured it was all promotional material (which I am used to getting at ride-in events) and I didn't look at it.

If registration was critical, and if there were enough unregistered riders to drop the official number significantly, I'd say there was a hole in the plan.

Lamonster
11-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I posted a long time ago that I did the same thing with a bunch of VTX riders. We had over 500 VTX's and I sent in all the required paperwork to Guiness Book and never heard anything back from them and at the time we for sure broke the record. It's not the folks at Magog fault, it most likely Guiness Book that dropped the ball. nojoke
http://users.zoominternet.net/%7Ebmarkey/vtxride/fridaylightparadepano.jpg
http://users.zoominternet.net/%7Ebmarkey/vtxride/vtxridepano.jpg

BajaRon
11-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Maybe they just don't consider it worthy. But they had (I thougth) Guiness people there checking everything out so who knows....:dontknow:

dave01
11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
It was the guiness beer people that were there. They heard some huligans were coming and might be thirsty.
Maybe they just don't consider it worthy. But they had (I thougth) Guiness people there checking everything out so who knows....:dontknow:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

docdoru
11-30-2010, 09:13 AM
Magog Spyder Record: N/A -today phone conversation with GBWR (44) 20 7891 4567 - Guiness World Records Ltd. :sour::popcorn:

Barbary
11-30-2010, 08:25 PM
It was the guiness beer people that were there. They heard some huligans were coming and might be thirsty.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

wyliec
11-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Magog Spyder Record: N/A -today phone conversation with GBWR (44) 20 7891 4567 - Guiness World Records Ltd. :sour::popcorn:

Does N/A mean Not Available yet b/c they are working on it? Or, does it mean Not Applicable b/c there is no record?

docdoru
11-30-2010, 09:01 PM
There is no record. :yikes:

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
So, it is as I thought... Because we know there were enough Spyders there to get the job done. So it must have been a registration failure.

Logistics will get you every time. That which is obvious to the sponsor is not necessarily obvious to the participant...

Too bad. Guess we'll just have to set the record next time.

rnet
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Your just have to do it at spyderfest. Just one more thing to do.

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Obviously, there is a bit more involved than just having a enough Spyders show up.

There were some other glitches in the opperation at Magog. I heard that the line of Spyders had to be a certain ride distance (3 miles?, I don't remember), and it had to be continuous, not broken up with any other, non-Spyder vehicle.

Don't know if that is true or not but I can tell you there were several places where cars got into the line. That may have disqualified the record as well.

You would certainly have to get all of your ducks lined up just right.

Firefly
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM

Nah-- they'll register any crazy thing like most hotdogs eaten underwater while riding a unicycle through a shark tank.......

Was there any previous record for Spyders anywhere?

If not, then it shouldn't matter if 50% of the people didn't 'officially' register or not --- wouldn't they still get the record if they had 250 registered instead of 500?

Probably a paperwork snafu with the folks at Genius ..... I always call it Genius beer---- because if you drink enough of them you become a GENIUS. :roflblack:

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Nah-- they'll register any crazy thing like most hotdogs eaten underwater while riding a unicycle through a shark tank.......

Was there any previous record for Spyders anywhere?

If not, then it shouldn't matter if 50% of the people didn't 'officially' register or not --- wouldn't they still get the record if they had 250 registered instead of 500?

Probably a paperwork snafu with the folks at Genius ..... I always call it Genius beer---- because if you drink enough of them you become a GENIUS. :roflblack:

I'm not an expert on these records. I know they will register just about anything. But that doesn't mean there isn't a laundry list of hoops to jump through to get into the book.

There is a previous record (I thought) but it would have been in the book... Right?

Lamonster
12-02-2010, 05:24 PM
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Community/Team-Blog/Blog-Entry.html?EntryID=ffc2cdd6-cbdd-449d-b5d0-72b614e2c794

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 05:32 PM
http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Community/Team-Blog/Blog-Entry.html?EntryID=ffc2cdd6-cbdd-449d-b5d0-72b614e2c794

Interesting.. As much as it has been discussed here I didn't realize this was the record category they were shooting for.

We definitly had more than the required 405 Spyders in the parade. I think the count was around 450.. Right?

So there was a breakdown somewhere in the process, not in the number of Spyders in the parade.

Lamonster
12-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Interesting.. As much as it has been discussed here I didn't realize this was the record category they were shooting for.

We definitly had more than the required 405 Spyders in the parade. I think the count was around 450.. Right?

So there was a breakdown somewhere in the process, not in the number of Spyders in the parade.

Like I said

It's not the folks at Magog fault, it most likely Guiness Book that dropped the ball. nojoke

wyliec
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
You can all speculate. But, there were two things that stick out-

1. The spyder/rider had to be registered before enetring in the parade; and, then return to the start location.

2. We were to let no one in the parade (meaning non-spyder vehicles). Someone in front of me let in a few cars.

I read the post that Lamont linked to and it has been months. It's really no big deal. Next year if they are trying for a record I'll be there again.

The one thing I like about Canadien drivers is they know what the left hand lane or passing lane is for. Here in the states, you get a lot of folks that feel since they pay their taxes they can get in the passing lane and go as slow as they want.

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
The one thing I like about Canadien drivers is they know what the left hand lane or passing lane is for. Here in the states, you get a lot of folks that feel since they pay their taxes they can get in the passing lane and go as slow as they want.

Really! You think that is a problem? :dontknow:

docdoru
12-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Here in the states, you get a lot of folks that feel since they pay their taxes they can get in the passing lane and go as slow as they want.
I always considered the right lane the fastest...:ohyea:

wyliec
12-02-2010, 06:17 PM
I always considered the right lane the fastest...:ohyea:

Yeah, when driving from Houston to Padre Island.

Oh, I get it. You mean the shoulder.

effgjamis
12-02-2010, 06:19 PM
You can all speculate. But, there were two things that stick out-

1. The spyder/rider had to be registered before enetring in the parade; and, then return to the start location.

2. We were to let no one in the parade (meaning non-spyder vehicles). Someone in front of me let in a few cars.

I read the post that Lamont linked to and it has been months. It's really no big deal. Next year if they are trying for a record I'll be there again.

You maybe the only one there.. I do not plan on going again:gaah:

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Why not?

Roger
12-02-2010, 06:56 PM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:

wyliec
12-02-2010, 07:16 PM

You also said you wouldn't get an RT.

BajaRon
12-02-2010, 07:47 PM
You also said you wouldn't get an RT.

Great point! :thumbup:

venom
12-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Last year2009- 328 spyders made it to magog for the spyderfest
We made a new guiness record calculating 298 since a groupe did not pass the finish line... and yes we do have a certificate to prove it!!!!

wyliec
12-03-2010, 07:23 PM
We made a new guiness record calculating 298 since a groupe did not pass the finish line... and yes we do have a certificate to prove it!!!!

Where is the certificate from? Guiness Book of World Records?

BajaRon
12-03-2010, 07:28 PM

That is about 10% who didn't get to the finish line? What's up with that?

The real issue was the location. Having all those Spyders going through that crowded little tourist trap town, crawling along for a few miles at less than idle speed in first gear most of the time, with cars getting into the mix, was a very bad idea.

It should have been a more rural area, with little or no traffic, on a road with very few intersections where cars could get into the mix. Somewhere you could basically keep the parade moving at a decent speed and get it overwith much more quickly.

venom
12-11-2010, 02:46 PM
it's official we have just recieved the guiness certificate for Magog 2010
Donald pomerleau our guru at club-spyder just announced that he has recieved the certificate... If you were registered and participated in the parade, you can get a personal guiness certificate for 50$ from club-spyder.com

venom
12-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Where is the certificate from? Guiness Book of World Records?
that's rite

groundeffect
12-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Donald pomerleau our guru at club-spyder just announced that he has recieved the certificate... If you were registered and participated in the parade, you can get a personal guiness certificate for 50$ from club-spyder.com

Sounds good - do you have a contact (number?) who speaks English would be nice ;).

thanks.

Lamonster
12-11-2010, 03:10 PM
:clap::congrats:

wyliec
12-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Sounds good - do you have a contact (number?) who speaks English would be nice ;).

thanks.

Or, an e-mail address that we can contact to make a purchase. I went to the website and clicked on translation and could not find the info to make the purchase.

Thanks

groundeffect
12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Or, an e-mail address that we can contact to make a purchase. I went to the website and clicked on translation and could not find the info to make the purchase.

Thanks
:agree: Same here.

wyliec
12-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Venom,

I saw your post on club-spyder.com regarding Magog and Americans being jealous of the record. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think you're wrong in thinking anyone is jealous. When I went to Magog I went to have fun with the possibility of making it into the GBR. I didn't go there thinking American or Canadien.

Lamonster
12-11-2010, 08:28 PM
:agree: :dontknow:

docdoru
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Venom,
I saw your post on club-spyder.com regarding Magog and Americans being jealous of the record.
:congrats: Without Jealousy...:thumbup:

rogerb
12-11-2010, 08:54 PM
:agree: The reason I went was to beat the record not a contest between two countrys. The Spyder community was there to beat the record and we did. I'm sure WE :spyder2: will be challenged again and again WE :spyder2: will beat it.

SpyderSteve
12-11-2010, 09:37 PM
:dontknow: Good luck from Canada with SpyderFest, Wish i could make it :2thumbs: