PDA

View Full Version : New DPS thoughts...

bone crusher
10-24-2010, 12:34 AM
I had my new DPS installed today and I can say it definitely makes an interesting change...

I also had the RT shocks put on today and they make a change as well...let me explain.

The shocks are MUCH stiffer...all one has to do is sit on the bike and rock it back and forth...you will see that the bike simply moves less with the RT shocks on there...very cool...around turns, the bike doesn't 'cave in' as much...it holds better and your leaning feels like it is doing more.

Now, as far as the DPS goes, I'm not happy...the darn bike, at high speeds, has too much play. The idea of assisted steering is to make it easy to turn the wheel (in this case handlebar) at low speeds and harder at high speeds...well, at low speeds, it's fine...however, if you have some nice twists at a high speed, you essentially lose some control.

Unfortunately, at this point, it's a wash...the new shocks help the bike lock on the the road and the bike feel simply more substantial...but the new steering is loopy at higher speeds, negating some of that new love from the RT shocks...argh!

Firefly
10-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Give it some more time.... and lower your front tire pressures to around 15.

I can do things with this new DPS that I couldn't before.....:thumbup:

bone crusher
10-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Give it some more time.... and lower your front tire pressures to around 15.

I can do things with this new DPS that I couldn't before.....:thumbup:

I'll check out the tire pressure...interesting...it just feels much too loose at higher speeds...hmmmm...

Just Doo Me
10-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Why dont you try taking off the RT shocks,not a big job,put on the stockers and retry your handling.Maybe with the crowning of the roads and stiffer shocks it gives a different feel.The only thing I noticed different with the new DPS was the added assist in the on ramps and big sweepers which I liked.Your better to try one mod at a time to notice each change.

tatt2r
10-24-2010, 08:53 AM
my spyder never had power steering ... i had gone in for 1st update and it came back ...for about 15 min then quit again after riding with none then having it it did feel lose and hard to controle my dealer replaced original dps and i had to adjust .... now i have to replace with updated recall dps i'm sure i will have to adjust again ...:gaah:

bone crusher
10-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Why dont you try taking off the RT shocks,not a big job,put on the stockers and retry your handling.Maybe with the crowning of the roads and stiffer shocks it gives a different feel.The only thing I noticed different with the new DPS was the added assist in the on ramps and big sweepers which I liked.Your better to try one mod at a time to notice each change.

Shocks aren't gonna affect the pure feel of a flat road nor do they make your bike loopy with curves/twists. Actually, the stiffer shocks are a vast improvement over stock as the bike doesn't 'roll' as much when you hit a twisty...you do have to steer less though...the handling is looser...this is due to the DPS, not the shocks...if I move the handlebar the same amount as I did before, the bike turns more...this is something that is different and needs some adjusting to...

docdoru
10-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Now, as far as the DPS goes, I'm not happy...the darn bike, at high speeds, has too much play. The idea of assisted steering is to make it easy to turn the wheel (in this case handlebar) at low speeds and harder at high speeds...well, at low speeds, it's fine...however, if you have some nice twists at a high speed, you essentially lose some control.
:agree: the generation 2 DPS is to "touchy" at triple digit speed. nojoke

Dudley
10-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I had my new DPS installed today and I can say it definitely makes an interesting change...

I also had the RT shocks put on today and they make a change as well...let me explain.

The shocks are MUCH stiffer...all one has to do is sit on the bike and rock it back and forth...you will see that the bike simply moves less with the RT shocks on there...very cool...around turns, the bike doesn't 'cave in' as much...it holds better and your leaning feels like it is doing more.

Unfortunately, at this point, it's a wash...the new shocks help the bike lock on the the road and the bike feel simply more substantial...but the new steering is loopy at higher speeds, negating some of that new love from the RT shocks...argh!

Relax on highway speed steering. You are steering like you used to. Instead of steering with you arms, steer with your mind. Let your control flow to your arms.
I am running 20 front and 30 rear on new RT. Shop had 15/25...was too mushy and rolling for me and I am very conservative rider.

NancysToy
10-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Relax on highway speed steering. You are steering like you used to. Instead of steering with you arms, steer with your mind. Let your control flow to your arms.
I am running 20 front and 30 rear on new RT. Shop had 15/25...was too mushy and rolling for me and I am very conservative rider.
Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me! :joke:

docdoru
10-24-2010, 04:26 PM
...and I am very conservative rider.
Me 2 :opps:

Firefly
10-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Relax on highwaywh speed steering. You are steering like you used to. Instead of steering with you arms, steer with your mind. Let your control flow to your arms.

You got an. RT ?????? How did I miss this?? Still got the gs?? V

mvengineer
10-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Dudley
Congratulations on your new RT. Wow. Did you keep your RS too

Dudley
10-24-2010, 06:56 PM
You got an. RT ?????? How did I miss this?? Still got the gs?? V

Got it on the 13th. Traded the GS with 43K miles and got a very good price on the RT and the trade. Just our time I guess.

Dudley
10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Me 2 :opps:

That's what I hear! You conserve time spent driving....:roflblack::ohyea:

Raptor
10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
I have found that wth the new DPS it does magnify steering response, especially at triple digit speeds. But the RT shocks are a superb upgrade. Team that with the Evo swaybar and you have a great package for the RS.

WHat I have found is that you have to use softer hands, arms and a bit more body to really nail the more technical triple digit moves and twisties. ANd you will have to change your lines a bit to still be able to nail throttle just pre-apex. But drifting the back end has become a bit easier since with the shocks and bar you are not rolling the front as much. I have found also like many others that dropping the tire pressures a bit helps reduce bounce and float.

Suffice it to say that the new DPS is very responsive and precise which may give the perception of being floaty or sloppy, but once you make the proper adjustments you will regain your confidence.

bone crusher
10-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I have found that wth the new DPS it does magnify steering response, especially at triple digit speeds. But the RT shocks are a superb upgrade. Team that with the Evo swaybar and you have a great package for the RS.

WHat I have found is that you have to use softer hands, arms and a bit more body to really nail the more technical triple digit moves and twisties. ANd you will have to change your lines a bit to still be able to nail throttle just pre-apex. But drifting the back end has become a bit easier since with the shocks and bar you are not rolling the front as much. I have found also like many others that dropping the tire pressures a bit helps reduce bounce and float.

Suffice it to say that the new DPS is very responsive and precise which may give the perception of being floaty or sloppy, but once you make the proper adjustments you will regain your confidence.

The swaybar will be one of the next mods...I will say the RT shocks are a big upgrade...really less sway, by far.

Your observations about how to change riding style are noted...I'm definitely gonna have to ease up and relax more...I wonder if they'll make it an option or something to tighten up the steering a bit in the future or if this is the fix and it's all done? I prefer using a little more of me and less of the loose feel!

I also think the bike holds far better in the turns, but the steering now needs to be accounted for! One gain with the shocks, one adjustment with the DPS...

The Spyder is always fun, eh?

Just Doo Me
10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Shocks aren't gonna affect the pure feel of a flat road nor do they make your bike loopy with curves/twists. Actually, the stiffer shocks are a vast improvement over stock as the bike doesn't 'roll' as much when you hit a twisty...you do have to steer less though...the handling is looser...this is due to the DPS, not the shocks...if I move the handlebar the same amount as I did before, the bike turns more...this is something that is different and needs some adjusting to...I guess then i'm not understanding your technical jargon.:hun: the money spent on the shocks they are a improvement,but the improved DPS that was warranty replacement is a noticeable downgrade.:dontknow:Bike dosen't roll because of the shocks but is loopy:hun: because of the DPS replacement.